*** SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY ***

256,186 Views | 1959 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ol_Ag_02
The Debt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
redline248 said:

So, supposedly, one of George Lucas's most protected "moments" (for lack of a better word) is how Han met Chewie. Meaning, everyone knew that he saved the Wookie and received a life debt, but he wouldn't sign off on anyone writing about the events. Is that going to be in this movie, or will we get post-Imperial academy Han only?

The leftovers taught us "let the mystery be". Fleshing out details of characters life is far less entertaining than fleshing out the SW galaxy.
Brandamne
Hoping for a fun nostalgic old school Star Wars adventure! We shall see though.
YouBet
AG
I just don't have any desire to see this. I'm not sure why.

Khaleesi being in it intrigues me though.
amercer
AG
I'm not sure I could be less interested in a Star Wars Movie.

I'll still see it though.
redline248
AG
This raises an interesting question. Would Rogue One have been less popular if it didn't include Vader? It was always a virtual guarantee that Vader was in that movie, which likely meant some force use. The other thing R1 had was X-wing and TIE fighters.

Now, Solo will probably feature a Falcon/TIE chase, but will the lack of rebellion conflict and lack of force/Jedi hurt, even if it's a good movie?
Has it been confirmed that Vader is not making an appearance in this film? He's obviously in this timeline. Wouldn't surprise me if he had a small cameo.
Flashdiaz
AG
There's going to be enough familiarity with Han, Chewy, Falcon, Lando. Hope we see Jabba, Fett and some of the other bounty hunters like that guy with the bandages.

Real question is... will this be the first movie without R2 and C3PO or will they be shoehorned in?
jokershady
AG
DSAg44 said:

I really wish they'd do the life of chewie...
trust me....this was the basis of the infamous Star Wars Holiday Special....

You. Do. Not. Want. This.

TCTTS
AG
To me, Han meeting Chewie, Han winning the Millennium Falcon from Lando, the Kessel Run, etc. have the potential to feel just as much a part of "Star Wars" as the rebellion/force/Jedi are. Throw in Jabba and Boba Fett as well (no idea if they're appearing or not, but I wouldn't be surprised to see either in a cameo), and I honestly think this movie is going to be the closest thing we've had to the original trilogy in terms of familiarity/vibe since 1983, just with a bit more humor thrown in.

Han will still find himself up against the Empire a time or two. We're going to see stormtroopers, TIE fighters, and rumor is, maybe even Vader and Tarkin. Again, everything hinges on Ehrenreich, but I am extremely confident in / excited for every other aspect of this movie. And frankly, I'm looking forward to taking a breather from the rebellion, the force, etc. I've just had too much of all that with TFA, TLJ, and Rogue One (and not all of it done well), and am more than ready for just a fun adventure in this world without all the baggage of the lore/mythos weighing it down.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I wouldn't expect to see Vader or Tarkin in this movie. Why would these characters need to be a part of the Solo story? I don't recall Solo ever encountering Tarkin, and he didn't come face-to-face with Darth Vader until the door opened to the dining room on Cloud City in TESB.

But I do expect at least a cameo from Jabba. Boba Fett doesn't really need to be in this either, but if he was simply a part of Jabba's crew as he was in the ANH special edition, I wouldn't have a problem with that.

I am probably a bit more excited about the Solo movie than I was for The Last Jedi. Not sure why, other than it's not coming at the end of a busy year for big movies. And I am interested in seeing Solo's early history, much of which has been mentioned through off-hand comments in previous movies, spelled out on screen. I will acknowledge, though, that there is a danger in doing this in that it could easily come off as forced. Reference the beginning sequence of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, where pretty much everything that audiences knew about Indiana Jones, except his actual first name, was revealed to have taken place in that one sequence - where he got the hat, the scar under his chin, his ability to use a whip, his wise-cracking ability, and even a foreshadowing of the origin of his nickname. Not that I didn't like all of that, the movie is one of my top 5 favorites, but all of that coming together in such a short period seems a bit forced.
redline248
AG
So, Holiday Special is canon, right? Han and Luke meet Boba Fett in that (which is after the original Star Wars). There's no indication, to my knowledge, that Han and Fett ever crossed paths prior to the original.

Is there?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

My "FAVORITE" thing about the Christmas special was......

Teen Beat Luke Skywalker...... seriously looks like a Ken doll......

lightened/frosted hair..... nice tan how do you get that in space?..... and EYELINER.

JFC... kill me now

YouBet
AG
BernArnold said:

lightened/frosted hair..... nice tan how do you get that in space?..... and EYELINER.

JFC... kill me now

Good Lord that is creepy.
redline248
AG
Quote:

nice tan how do you get that in space?
You remember where Luke used to live, right?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
redline248 said:

Quote:

nice tan how do you get that in space?
You remember where Luke used to live, right?
yeah but oddly he did not look orange then.
Jason Ag
AG
I was recently at Disney Hollywood Studios, they had two different outdoor stages set up for star wars characters/shows. Very realistic. Anytime Vader came out and spoke it was another level over anyone else.
Maveric
AG
BernArnold said:

JFC... kill me now

The Christmas Special was made after Mark had his accident that broke his nose and cheekbone. He hadn't had the surgery to repair them, hence the drugged up look in his eyes and pancake makeup. Also, the reason the Wampa scene was added to Empire to explain why he looked different in the second movie.
KidDoc
AG
My favorite Luke was in Wing Commander 3. As a young 20's dorky dude that game has a very special part of my video gaming memory. Such an amazing experience with several excellent actors.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jokershady
AG
Maveric said:

BernArnold said:

JFC... kill me now

The Christmas Special was made after Mark had his accident that broke his nose and cheekbone. He hadn't had the surgery to repair them, hence the drugged up look in his eyes and pancake makeup. Also, the reason the Wampa scene was added to Empire to explain why he looked different in the second movie.
Came here to post this. Still crazy looking though.

What I posted was a review of the Sw Holiday Special. I have access to the whole thing but honestly the text scroll is so cringe worthy I couldn't even make it past that.
TCTTS
AG
Just a reminder that it is still unconfirmed as to A) whether or not a spot will air today during the Super Bowl, and B) whether or not the first trailer is debuting tomorrow during GMA. That said, those in the know all seem to think both are almost assuredly happening, with the latter being more concrete. In other words, I'd say chances for a spot today are 50% while the chances of a trailer tomorrow are 90%, with no official confirmation yet for either. But I just wanted to post a disclaimer in case, for some crazy reason, neither drop and everyone starts asking what happened.
Ulrich
I was a lot more excited about Solo before I knew that it was going to be about things we already know about. I'm sure it will be a fun movie that i enjoy watching, but I'm not a fan of how they are using the one-offs to methodically explain every reference, offhand comment, and backstory from the OT. My opinion is that worlds and lore seem a lot more spacious and fun when there are loose ends and mysteries.
heddleston
AG
It was a huge part of this dorky 11 year old's life too! There was a 3 or so year window before CD burners came out that you could go to Hastings and rent PC games. i rented it a ton and would fire it up on my Dad's beat up old machine and then go do my chores while I waited literally 20 minutes for the mission to load.
TCTTS
AG
If true, it's looking like the second quarter...

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I hope this teaser gets me hyped.
The Collective
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I hope this teaser gets me hyped.

You are too big of a fan to not get excited. You know Disney will bring it for this marketing spot.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yep. Hyped.
TCTTS
AG
Solo!
The Collective
AG
Holy **** - looks completely different.
TCTTS
AG
That looked AMAZING.
Olsen
AG
Trailer tomorrow!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
I TOLD YOU GUYS THIS WOULD LOOK AWESOME!
The Collective
AG
Have to watch again but looked really cool.
shelbys99
Ready for this movie now that I saw the trailer!!
Ag Since 83
AG
It had the right look. can't wait to see more

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.