*** SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY ***

255,593 Views | 1959 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ol_Ag_02
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Think of all the types of movies they could do with Star Wars:

-Landos 11: A Star Wars Story
-Wormhole of Spies: A Star Wars Story
-Nudcha ov Kogas: A Hutt Story (War of Beds; i.e. Game of Thrones; best I could translate)
-Jizzler on the Roof: A Star Wars Musical
-The Mawshank Redemption: A Star Wars Story
-The Good, the Bad, and the Ugnaught: A Star Wars Story
-Seven Jedi: A Star Wars Story
-The Silence of the Chadra-Fans: A Star Wars Story
-Imperial History X: A Star Wars Story

Check out Star Wars Film Pitch (@Pitch4StarWars): https://twitter.com/Pitch4StarWars?s=09
Flashdiaz
AG
txagman1998 said:

The only thing that bothered me from that story (if true), is the idea that they were hesitant to make Vos a Lasat because they thought Qi'ra falling for an alien would not be believable to the audience. At the end of the day it's a Sci-fi, so of course different planetary species, human or otherwise, should be able to fall in love with each other.
wait, I thought current Star Wars was pushing their leftist Agenda... this sounds like it would have been perfect for that.
Ag Since 83
AG
I own the book, and there are some even more out there concepts than him being a Lasat...think a reptilian bird like what you would expect from a dinosaur/human hybrid in a future Jurassic World movie - like it would have been Shape of Water level divisive to hint at any sort of romance between such a creature and Qi'ra.

They also talk about not the importance of the effect on Han. He needs to be jealous, not grossed out. In that way, it makes sense to not have him be any sort of out there alien.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Sorry guys...I haven't had time to read the entire thread...does anybody mind explaining why Darth Maul was in the hologram at the end? Was he the master of the cartel the whole time? I know it was a big reveal, but I was a little lost to be honest.
Flashdiaz
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

Sorry guys...I haven't had time to read the entire thread...does anybody mind explaining why Darth Maul was in the hologram at the end? Was he the master of the cartel the whole time? I know it was a big reveal, but I was a little lost to be honest.
Yes. He's the leader of the Crimson Dawn syndicate.
easttexasaggie04
AG
So at this point he left the empire and started this group?
easttexasaggie04
AG
Did anybody else think the main villain guy looked like he had stretch marks all over his face?
KidDoc
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

So at this point he left the empire and started this group?
My understanding is he was dismissed by the Emperor due to essentially being cut in half. Then Anakin/Vader became his replacement so he was a bit of a reject so decide to start his own gig.

I'm not super up on the non movie SW stuff so the people who are more well read or have watched the clone wars and stuff will correct me if I am not recalling his history correctly.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ulrich
It's a flesh wound!
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Yeah, I can't remember if the Emperor realized that he was still alive or not, but either way, he was angry that Maul lost, he had Dooku in the fold, and Anakin down the line. So he forgot about him.

So when Maul regains his sanity, he hates both Palpatine and Kenobi. Leading to a pretty sweet fight between the Emperor, Maul, and Maul's apprentice.
Hagen95
AG
It wasn't a pretty sweet fight. It was an ass kicking by Palpatine. [insert Jeff Albertson pic]
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Well yeah, but it's the only fight you will ever see the Emperor in before he's all butt-foreheaded.
Malachi Constant
AG
lol "savage opress"

might as well have been called "baddy McBadguyerston"

Seriously, effing "savage opress" was Maui's brother's name. Who writes that crap?
The Collective
AG
The fact that savage is pronounced like it is French makes it even better
Slicer97
AG
I liked the movie, but am I the only one that thinks it felt a lot like Firefly?
Dro07
AG
Kinda weird but that kinda what I pictured as a young Solo
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Pretty sure that is why i liked firefly and this movie. I would almost guarante Mal is somewhat based on Han.
wangus12
AG
Pretty sure that is about as absolute as it can get.

Also, if this movie has done one thing, it has made me want to see Emilia Clarke in action in Game of Thrones. Become a warrior Queen like the original Targaryens and actual be involved in combat. Loved seeing her use the sword against Dryden.
SeattleAgJr
Blatant Disregard said:

lol "savage opress"

might as well have been called "baddy McBadguyerston"

Seriously, effing "savage opress" was Maui's brother's name. Who writes that crap?

George was involved.

You want something better? In the old extended Universe Canon, the style of music that the Max Rebo band played was referred to as jizz.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jizz
CT'97
AG
Did anybody else think that Han was too nice?
I wanted to see him become a jaded, cynical, loner and we got a do gooder boy scoutwith a soft side for the under dog. The break with Qi'ra should have been much more dramatic of a betrayal as well. They build this up as his goal for years to get back to her and then she fly's off leaving him and he gave it a shoulder shrug. Just didn't seem to fit.

We did get to see Han shoot first, but I didn't need the Woodie Harrelson death speech.
Flashdiaz
AG
CT'97 said:

I wanted to see him become a jaded, cynical, loner and we got a do gooder boy scoutwith a soft side for the under dog. The break with Qi'ra should have been much more dramatic of a betrayal as well. They build this up as his goal for years to get back to her and then she fly's off leaving him and he gave it a shoulder shrug. Just didn't seem to fit.

We did get to see Han shoot first, but I didn't need the Woodie Harrelson death speech.
I think he kind of knew Qi'ra wasn't going to go with him.

He suspected her first when Draden told Han someone told him the plan beforehand.

and the death scene's were different, both the robot and Woody's weren't pleasant.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Collective
AG
The Maul part is hilarious.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
A Star Wars Story
The Collective
AG
It will be interesting to see what happens with Solo at the box office this weekend.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Rogue One - $64M (-58%)
Logan - $38M (-57%)

Based on those, anything below $37M is a VERY bad sign. (That's -57%.)

But for it to have any kind of legs, I think it needs to do $40M+ at least.
Sex Panther
AG
I don't think it's going to have a very good second weekend. I also think Upgrade is going to surprise pretty big time.
The Collective
AG
I have actually seen more commercials for Adrift this week than I saw for Solo the week leading up to its opening.
Ulrich
That was great!

Also I especially agree with the part that we don't need an origin story for every bit of minutiae.
CT'97
AG
Flashdiaz said:

CT'97 said:

I think he kind of knew Qi'ra wasn't going to go with him.

He suspected her first when Draden told Han someone told him the plan beforehand.

and the death scene's were different, both the robot and Woody's weren't pleasant.
I agree, but there should have been more to it. Something that unquestionably set's Han off as a loner.
jackie childs
CT'97 said:

i agree, but just assume that they're planning on additional Han movies and that the transformation will be more gradual.
twilly
AG
Here is what I know about box office numbers. I know NOTHING about box office numbers.

Sure there are formulas that show what it should do, but does anybody really know. I bring forward this example. Same website, 1 day apart...

Screenrant May 30th
"Solo to net $30-33M in second weekend"

Screenrant May 31st
"Latest projections show Solo earning about $60M on 2nd weekend"

So which is it?
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I am dying on the a) "yeah she's fast, she finished a 20 mile race in 12 miles, because we found a shourtcut through dust clustered space with a giant squid in it" and "check out the core strength of those snow troopers... even with magnetic boots..."
KidDoc
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I am dying on the a) "yeah she's fast, she finished a 20 mile race in 12 miles, because we found a shourtcut through dust clustered space with a giant squid in it" and "check out the core strength of those snow troopers... even with magnetic boots..."
Yeah this review was very well done, I enjoyed it!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Based on the latest data, I assume the second one is more accurate, but then again, they had projected $170M for opening weekend at one time, so projections are basically meaningless for this movie.

$60M would be a homerun.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.