*** SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY ***

251,051 Views | 1959 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ol_Ag_02
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

I'm of two minds on this. Just like any underserved demographic, there are plenty of LBGTQ people who want to see more people like them represented in film and television, and studios trying to accommodate those demographics is fine by me. It's no different than trying to round out a cast with more minorities, etc. Can it be seen as pandering more often than not? Sure. But Hollywood's job, first and foremost, is to make money. And getting more and more diverse crowds in the theater is what makes money. Simple as that.

What they're doing with Lando and, say, Dumbledore from Harry Potter is ridiculous, though. Either show the character being gay - in-movie - or don't. This after-the-fact, "Uh, yeah, guess what? So-and-so was actually gay the whole time!" schtick is such bullsh*t. Either commit or don't.
It's pretty obvious in HP&TDH novel that Dumbledore was gay as a teenager.
Another Doug
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

TCTTS said:

I'm of two minds on this. Just like any underserved demographic, there are plenty of LBGTQ people who want to see more people like them represented in film and television, and studios trying to accommodate those demographics is fine by me. It's no different than trying to round out a cast with more minorities, etc. Can it be seen as pandering more often than not? Sure. But Hollywood's job, first and foremost, is to make money. And getting more and more diverse crowds in the theater is what makes money. Simple as that.

What they're doing with Lando and, say, Dumbledore from Harry Potter is ridiculous, though. Either show the character being gay - in-movie - or don't. This after-the-fact, "Uh, yeah, guess what? So-and-so was actually gay the whole time!" schtick is such bullsh*t. Either commit or don't.
It's pretty obvious in HP&TDH novel that Dumbledore was gay as a teenager.
Also "They" and "Hollywood" didn't make him gay. JKR did... the author of the most popular book series of our life time. Most of my life gay people have been flaming punchlines in tv/movies. What cool people have they been....

Omar, Dumbledore, Lando...
AgMarauder04
AG
I'm mildly annoyed that they are retconning a character, but not a big deal really.
Flashdiaz
AG
I bet it wasn't the Stormtroopers that tore C3PO up.
fig96
AG
Boo Weekley said:

Thoughts on Disney going out of their way to make Lando a "pansexual" who likes D?

I miss the Hollywood of old. Homosexuality doesn;t bother me one but, just a huge turnoff when Hollywood bends over backwards to force sh** like this. It's like every movie nowadays has to be some social statement or have an agenda.

Hope this one crashes big time.
You missed the Politics forums by a few clicks.
AGGies0311
Wait, is George Lucas the one saying Lando is panda sexual? Because I didn't think they had that term in the mid 80s.
SeattleAgJr
fig96 said:

Boo Weekley said:

Thoughts on Disney going out of their way to make Lando a "pansexual" who likes D?

I miss the Hollywood of old. Homosexuality doesn;t bother me one but, just a huge turnoff when Hollywood bends over backwards to force sh** like this. It's like every movie nowadays has to be some social statement or have an agenda.

It is completely relevant both there and here.

HTH
SeattleAgJr
fig96
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

fig96 said:

Boo Weekley said:

It is completely relevant both there and here.

HTH
It's relevant conversation here, though I think it's a silly thing to be remotely concerned with. It's not relevant for someone who never posts here to drive by and wave their values around.

And HTH yourself. Don't be an *******.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

I'm mildly annoyed that they are retconning a character, but not a big deal really.
Exactly. Who cares? It'll make zero difference in the movie or in the character itself. Matter of fact it almost makes him cooler that he just doesn't give a **** and will bang anyone.
Belton Ag
AG
Along the same lines as what TCTTS said, I don't like that they do this after the fact. This is an already established character, and youd think that if they want to start adding gay characters they'd do so with new ones. Similar to the rumors of Elsa of Frozen being a lesbian.

Edit: someone already mentioned this aspect, only they did it all cool like and used the term retconning.
AgMarauder04
AG
If I had to guess, there will be some throwaway line or moment that if you know he's pansexual and are looking for it, you'll notice, but most won't....similar to LaFou in Beauty. You only knew the moment if you were looking for it.
gomerschlep
AG
Boo Weekley said:

I hope one day you'll find the courage to come out and be the person you really are. I'm sure your family and friends already know and don't care. I've heard life is so much better out of the closet. It's 2018 man, be free!
512Ag
AG
Here's how it's going to go down in the movie:

Lando, smoothly: My my my, look at that R2 unit over there. I'd like to take him out for a 'Bespin' [wink]

Han, under his breath to Chewy: Lando Calrissian? More like Pando Calrissian, am I right?

Chewy: [unimpressed wookie grunt]
Malachi Constant
AG
OM HY GOD

Just imagine this technology in 10 years...
TCTTS
AG
... in 10 years. Now, though? That looks pretty terrible, and more like Vincent Cassel than Ewan McGregor.
Coog97
Belton Ag said:

Along the same lines as what TCTTS said, I don't like that they do this after the fact. This is an already established character, and youd think that if they want to start adding gay characters they'd do so with new ones. Similar to the rumors of Elsa of Frozen being a lesbian.

Edit: someone already mentioned this aspect, only they did it all cool like and used the term retconning.

Ewan McGregor should show up as Obi-Wan and repurpose this Renton soliloquy from Trainspotting... it would work perfectly here!!!

HalifaxAg
AG
All these pan jokes and nothing about LoBot?

So many jokes in that name now....makes you wonder what his real function was?

Urban Ag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

AgMarauder04 said:

Exactly. Who cares? It'll make zero difference in the movie or in the character itself. Matter of fact it almost makes him cooler that he just doesn't give a **** and will bang anyone.
uh....

you serious Clark?
Sex Panther
AG
Yeah, me and Spilner apparently have pretty differing opinions on what makes someone cool
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You're suggesting that he is now "uncool" because he is interested in men as well.

That makes him less of a "ladies man"?

Honestly, why do you care?

I keep going back to Oberyn Martell. If that isn't a "cool" character to you, I don't know what to tell you.
AgMarauder04
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

You're suggesting that he is now "uncool" because he is interested in men as well.

That makes him less of a "ladies man"?

Honestly, why do you care?

I keep going back to Oberyn Martell. If that isn't a "cool" character to you, I don't know what to tell you.
In his defense, you said that because now he will bang anyone, he is cooler.
The Collective
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Just because it works for one character in one universe doesn't mean it does for every other character with similar sexual orientation. Landon was created 40 years ago and established as one type and now they seem to be changing him for the sake of changing him, but probably not actually changing him on screen.
jeffk
AG
Pansexual means what now?! I just thought Lando really liked bread!!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

but probably not actually changing him on screen.
Bingo.

This is why I frankly don't care either way.

But apparently this is rustling some feathers around here, so let's jut move on.
TCTTS
AG
jeffk said:

Pansexual means what now?! I just thought Lando really liked bread!!
I had to look it up just now and I'm still not clear, as it sounded identical to being bi, except I believe that it also basically includes being attracted to people who don't identify as male or female. So I guess being into trans people as well. In other words, bi people only like men with d*cks and women with vaginas. But pans people will hook up with literally anyone within the human spectrum. And maybe robots too.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Exactly.

If you ever read up on old Hollywood of the 60's/70's (this isn't to you since I'm sure you know), a lot of men would **** anyone. That's just how it was back then. (See: Pryor/Brando story.) And Brando was the ultimate "ladies man" at the time.

That's basically how I see it.
Urban Ag
AG
Yes Brian, it does in fact make you a metric sh** ton less of a lady's man if you bang dudes too.

but as noted, let's move on....

edit - meant to have the smiley emoji/friendly banter/not politics board
The Collective
AG
At first I was weirded out by the droid part of the Lando reveal, but after meeting a droid over the weekend with a bad motivator - I've had a change of heart.
dave99ag
AG
I thought pansexual meant he was into the Na'vi from Avatar?

Hello crossover film!
twilly
AG
There are people that are offended with Lando's "newly found" sexuality, and I've seen others that just don't care.
Is there anybody out there cheering about this sexual post-enlightenment of Lando?
It's like saying Han is actually left handed. Cool fact, but what does it really mean?

I should also point out that yesterday my 13 year old son asked me "what does pansexual mean?"
Thanks Star Wars, was really hoping I could forgo that conversation with the boy.
Living Legend
AG
twilly said:

There are people that are offended with Lando's "newly found" sexuality, and I've seen others that just don't care.

Is there anybody out there cheering about this sexual post-enlightenment of Lando?

It's like saying Han is actually left handed. Cool fact, but what does it really mean?
Good point. Not sure that the decision makers are getting the response that they wanted when they announced this.

I haven't seen one person celebrating this.
Flashdiaz
AG
Lando and Chewy did spend some time together on the Falcon when Han was frozen in carbonite....

Flashdiaz
AG
Just a few more days...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.