*** SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY ***

255,691 Views | 1959 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ol_Ag_02
Ham Slice MRE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SeattleAgJr
Movie is 10 years before ANH.

Han is about 22 at the end of the movie.
Anakin would be 31-32.
Luke would be 9-10 ish. Leia would be 9-10ish + a few minutes.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
They are saying He lives after Naboo. He has cybernetic legs in this movie if you look.
TCTTS
AG
Maul game back in the cartoons apparently. This is WAY after Episode I.
SeattleAgJr
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sigh
jokershady
AG
Not sure what I thought about this film after seeing it. Probably another one I'll have to see again like TLJ.

But overall I'd say I liked it. Everything between Chewie/Han/Lando was great.
I really expected Qi'ra to die in this. Surprised she survived. But showing her with Maul...that doesn't mean she's working with the Empire right? Was Maul still with the Empire in the Clone Wars?

And overall I found L3 to be entertaining. And anyone who thinks Lando was attracted/sexually interested in L3 is nuts.

Do the same people think that Poe wants to let BB8 stick his probe in his ass? Probably not...even though he'd probably be more visibly upset if BB8 was destroyed in front of him.
SeattleAgJr
jokershady said:

I really expected Qi'ra to die in this. Surprised she survived. But showing her with Maul...that doesn't mean she's working with the Empire right? Was Maul still with the Empire in the Clone Wars?

No affiliation post Ep 3.
MBAR
AG
I enjoyed the movie, but I felt it was a tad long. Also, I really dislike that they setup sequels. I really wanted this to be a one off where we learn some cool things about Han but I'm ready to explore new parts of that universe instead of just going back to this same story.
MBAR
AG
tv1113 said:

So is the horrible audience score on RT just leftover backlash from TLJ? Seems like a lot of positivity on this board.
I really enjoyed TLJ and while I enjoyed this, I won't be going back for a rewatch. I'm not sure why the audience score is bad because this is not a bad movie at all.

That being said, I think its a rather forgetable movie in the long run. Nothing on this movie would stand out had it not been for the fact that the characters are in the biggest franchise of all time. Everything that I thought was cool was some play on nostalgia and I'm honestly pretty much at my nostalgia breaking point.

This is why I wasn't crazy about Ready Player 1. I'm just getting a bit tired of call backs instead of something fresh.
SeattleAgJr
sadly, the major movie houses are risk averse and only have nostalgia to lean on for their movies.

For the most part, Disney will go derivative./bland instead of fresh as they are spending $300+ on production and P&A costs for all of these blockbuster movies.
Ag Since 83
AG
So after a 2nd viewing, damn this is a fun movie.
wangus12
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

tv1113 said:

So is the horrible audience score on RT just leftover backlash from TLJ? Seems like a lot of positivity on this board.

These fanboy movies bring out the trolls. Audience score isn't always reliable.
None of those score systems are reliable. I trust Texags because its a small sample size and I feel like I know what most of the regulars on the E-board like so I can usually tell if I'll like something based off our own reviews.

Other than that, I go with my gut and what I saw in the trailers
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I loved it. Was a fun ride throughout. No overthinking or overanalyzing required. Just entertainment .
Belton Ag
AG
Yeah that was badass. Waaaay better than I expected.
Specialized
AG
This was WAYYYYYY better than I expected. Especially after the midstream director change. Really enjoyed the movie.
Vince Blake
Thought it was ok. Action was good but dragged at times. Loved Donald Glover as Lando. The Solo name scene was midichlorians bad.
InternetFan02
AG
Loved it. I'm in full agreeance with the TCTTS review on this one. Let's add to this established story in the Boba Fett and Obi-Wan movies. Don't even need Solo 2.

First Star Wars movie that never mentions the Force? Didn't need it.
InternetFan02
AG
Here's my exclusive ranking of female leads, and Emilia Clarke is the new composite #1. Glad to see she'll be back. I was worried going in about cringiness with the romance scenes but they pulled it off - the Falcon closet scene was well done and a good homage to the Empire scene in the same setting

Female leads ranked by acting/character:
1. Leia
2. Qi'ra
3. Rey
4. Jyn
5. Padme

Female leads ranked by attractiveness:
1. Padme
2. Jyn
3. Qi'ra
4. Rey
5. Leia
Noblemen06
AG
I went in open minded but with managed expectations and left loving what they pulled off. Disney is doing these side stories better than they are continuing the Skywalker saga, hands down. I can't say if I liked this one more than Rogue One because they are different animals, somewhat. RO did a great job leading up to A New Hope but Solo was superior as a more "standalone" film that has the spirit and connection to the main Star Wars story. The casting in this was superb...though Lando didn't steal the show like I thought he would considering all the prerelease hype about him. It may be irrational, as I don't have any stake in Disney and benefit naught from the movie doing well, but I hope this one gains some steam at the BO so they continue to invest in these non-Skywalker/non-Jedi stories set in the SW universe...they've been more compelling and fun to watch, thus far.
DB Coach
AG
InternetFan02 said:

Loved it. I'm in full agreeance with the TCTTS review on this one. Let's add to this established story in the Boba Fett and Obi-Wan movies. Don't even need Solo 2.

First Star Wars movie that never mentions the Force? Didn't need it.
Actually, a certain someone did use the Force.
lurker76
I don't understand the dislike for the scene that Han was given his last name. Haven't you ever heard any immigrant stories about name assignments from IS agents when they arrived in the U.S.?
Two people I worked with had similar stories. A young woman with the last name of Kelly was told she didn't look Irish, and her response was "I'm not, i'm Polish. The family name was Kalijowski, the the agent at Ellis Island did't want to try to spell it, so he wrote Kelly." The other one was a guy named Bissman, from Russia originally. The family name was Bissmanov, and again, the intake agent didn't want to try to spell it correctly. He always said he was glad the name didn't start with a "P" instead of a "B".

As to him not providing a family name and later talking about his father building spacecraft, I think he just didn't want to give that out. Perhaps due to a stigma attached to it, past history, or providing a clue as to where he could be found. He was looking for annonymity.
Ag Since 83
AG
I think the dissatisfaction comes more from the fact that they altered an established character's true identity (a much beloved identity) for a corny joke. You don't need to have him not have a last name to establish that he's a runaway/scrumrat/whatever

I think it was just the writers getting overly clever, not some immigrant story (the immigrant renaming has never been done better than in American Tail)
Corporal Punishment
AG
L3 was this movie's Jar Jar. Annoying.
bankshot11
AG
Lady Proxima is literally the worst Star Wars character ever. Pure trash.

There were good and bad things about the movie.
Saul Goodman
AG
I really liked how the movie opened immediately after the "In a galaxy..." in the same blue font. Much better than Rogue One's opening.
AliasMan02
AG
The movie was great. In some ways it's the Ant Man of Star Wars. Really good flick with lots of action and comedy, without the really high stakes of the rest of the series.

Where it differs is that it is way more of an establishing film than Ant Man, and way more than I expected. I was expecting more of a one-off, but man, am I glad we're getting more!

Alden was fine in the role that was as tough as draw as you could get. Glover was great, of course. Khaleesi was awesome. Harrelson was as good and likeable as ever. Chewie stole the show. The whole cast was really great.

The Maul reveal was amazing and a huge surprise. I knew he was out there running his syndicate, but didn't think they'd go there. Loved the callbacks and didn't they they overdid it too much. Need to see it again to catch them all.

Line of the movie was the I hate you, I know exchange. Got huge laughs

What a fun flick!
AliasMan02
AG
Farmer1906 said:

L3 spoiler, I guess.
I would fret too much about L3. She's alive and well in Last Shot which partially takes place after RotJ.

The scenes where she is with Lando happen before this movie. She only exists after the movie as the copies.
TCTTS
AG
bankshot11 said:

These kind of reactions baffle me. "Pure trash"? She was in the movie for maybe three minutes, if that, and was... fine. She's an alien in a Star Wars movie. She made zero impression on me, and I can't imagine reacting so negatively to something so insignificant.
AliasMan02
AG
TCTTS said:

bankshot11 said:

These kind of reactions baffle me. "Pure trash"? She was in the movie for maybe three minutes, if that, and was... fine. She's an alien in a Star Wars movie. She made zero impression on me, and I can't imagine reacting so negatively to something so insignificant.

Was gonna say something similar. Those with this reaction, what did you want? A human? Or a humanoid with funny ears or lekku, maybe?

And to the contrary, I thought the world design of her guards obviously being either less-developed forms of her species or maybe her larvae was pretty slick.
Saw it last night with the theater 2/3rds full. After the abortion of TLJ, my expectations were very low. I told my girlfriend, who was only there because of me (she doesn't know that much about Star Wars and is not a huge fan), that I didn't really "want" to watch the movie. We were only there because it being part of the Star Wars universe, I "had" to watch it. With that being said, I loved it! Th entire ensemble was great. I understand how L3 was annoying to most, but it didn't bother me at all. The Maul reveal was surprising but it opens up a whole new angle in these "side" movies that I think was a great decision by Disney. I'm in the same boat who say that these side movies are a lot better than the Skywalker saga. Really loved R1 and this one. Overall, 8.5/10
Ulrich
I thought it was a well made movie. Didn't strike any wrong notes on Han, Chewie or Lando's characters which is one of those things that doesn't jump out but is REALLY important. Solid take on the sci fi caper with good action.

That said, the overwrought Lando/L3 death scene was silly. It's a wisecracking toaster, and data backups. Also, bringing back a character that was cut in half and dropped down a reactor shaft made me roll my eyes. I think I saw mentioned that they already did that in the cartoon but I hoped they would gracefully leave those sort of cringy decisions out of the movies.

Star Wars is still running at 50% new content and 50% origin story/explaining references. In spite of the acknowledged quality of the movie, I was having a hard time staying interested. Similar to how I felt walking out of Rogue One. I'm not sure I'll go to the theater again to see another prequel.
Ulrich
Did anyone recognize a bit of Bollux from the old Brian Daley Han Solo trilogy?
AliasMan02
AG
Hey, I just realized... Where were Tag and Bink?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
How does anyone put Qi'ra above Rey? She wasn't bad but come on. Rey had more screentime in half of TFA, and a much more complete arc.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.