*** SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY ***

256,177 Views | 1959 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ol_Ag_02
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SAw it, Liked it. Will definitely watch it again.
dgrogers88
AG
Saw it and liked it
The Collective
AG
On timeline, Anakin is Vader. The rise of the Empire coincides with Anakin becoming Vader.
Farmer1906
AG
TCTTS said:

Reminder to please use spoiler tags.
The movie is released.
The Collective
AG
Too lazy to use spoiler tags. Why would people even be on this thread if they haven't seen it yet?
Farmer1906
AG
bthomas98 said:

Help me with the timeline for the movie

If Maul is alive now, is Anakin still Anakin or is he Vader already?

Han is 20-25 in this so Luke/Leia are about 10-15?

I'll echo that L3 was the worst part of this movie, felt like maybe more of that type of "humor" is what led to Miller/Lord getting fired. It was like watching an unfunny person try to be funny but failing miserably
This takes ends about 10 years before A New Hope and 22 years after Maul got sliced in half.

He's been alive all this time. He's in the Clone Wars & Rebels TV shows.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Ulrich said:

4-LOM 4-EVER
Mr. Bones
IG-88
Bollux
Vuffi Raa
TCTTS
AG
Farmer1906 said:

TCTTS said:

Reminder to please use spoiler tags.
The movie is released.

This has been mentioned a hundred times. We agreed to use spoiler tags through at least opening weekend.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
We did? I had assumed this was the spoilers thread.

We have the non-spoilers Star Wars thread, as usual, making this one the spoilers thread by default. If we make a third it'll just be more confusing.
TCTTS
AG
I'm so confused. We've been using spoiler tags all weekend and I could have swore you called someone out yesterday for spoiling the final cameo.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That was days ago, dude. Monday or Tuesday.

I used spoiler tags in mine to be safe, since I was the first to post my review.
Farmer1906
AG
We need to decide on rules and sticky them at the top.
Farmer1906
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

That was days ago, dude. Monday or Tuesday.

I used spoiler tags in mine to be safe, since I was the first to post my review.

We're you expecting a 2nd person to post your review?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Agreed. The usual protocol has always been the "main" thread (SW/Marvel) and the spoilers thread for each movie.
Farmer1906
AG
Correct
t_J_e_C_x
AG
Did anyone see Boba Fett's helmet behind L3 at the Cage scene? I think I'm the only one that saw it.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Just saw it.... damn I loved it!!!! so much fun.

the first 15 minutes were a little cheesy and not the right tone..... made me wonder if that was filmed before. But as soon as the jump to 3 years later and the fighting/battle and then Beckett shows up and it's off and running. the heist and all the following action was great. Lots of great turns, even though a little predictable (Beckettt coming back for example).......

So many great small moments with Chewie especially and Lando and the Falcon and references to things we know are to come.

Well love it..... ain't nobody gonna change my mind and I have read nothing here yet since I tuned out a week or so ago......

right now I'd slot it below the top 3 and in the middle group of really good SW movies. It could move up on subsequent viewings.

1a. Star Wars
1b. The Empire Strikes Back
3. Rogue One
--------------------------------------
4. Solo
5. Return of the Jedi
6. The Last Jedi
7. The Force Awakens
--------------------------------------
8. Revenge of the Sith
9. The Phantom Menace
10. Attack of the Clones

* Only other slight disappointment was the very end. I would have loved if they just reached Tatooine set down and stepped into the Cantina. That's it... and maybe a Jabba chuckle from offscreen. but I can live without it... we know they were headed there.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
bthomas98 said:

Help me with the timeline for the movie

If Maul is alive now, is Anakin still Anakin or is he Vader already?

Han is 20-25 in this so Luke/Leia are about 10-15?

I'll echo that L3 was the worst part of this movie, felt like maybe more of that type of "humor" is what led to Miller/Lord getting fired. It was like watching an unfunny person try to be funny but failing miserably

This is set primarily in 10 BBY - which means 10 years BEFORE the Battle of Yavin. Thats the end of SW (ANH). thats time marker used for all SW ages/years.

All of the prequel stuff happened many years before (between 32 and 19 BBY so 22 to 9 years before this chronologically). Maul is alive because he was saved and pieced back together (or given a mechanical lower half). It's in some of the canon books and cartoon versions as I have heard so I'm not going to try to explain more. I just always knew he actually lived.

Han is actually 19 in this. he was 29 in SW (ANH). The first few minutes of the film were 3 years earlier and he was 16 then. then it jumped to him being 19.

wangus12
AG
Damn right Han is a patriot. A red-blooded hero of the Empire who enlisted by lying on his forms about his age so he could be the best pilot in the galaxy. The Empire could use more patriots like Han Solo
SeattleAgJr
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Quote:

Han is actually 19 in this. he was 29 in SW (ANH). The first few minutes of the film were 3 years earlier and he was 16 then. then it jumped to him being 19.

Correction:
The revised canon is:

32 BBY: Han born on Correllia
  • 24 BBY: Han joins the White Worms on Corellia
  • 13 BBY: Han escapes Corellia
  • 12 BBY: Lando acquires the Falcon
  • 10 BBY: Meets Chewbacca on Mimban; Kessel Run

• Han is no longer 29 in ANH. They made him 32 now, making him closer in age to Harrison Ford at the time.

Source: Solo Visual Guide, released yesterday, written by Pablo Hidalgo, so it does not get much more official than that.
    https://www.amazon.com/Solo-Star-Story-Official-Guide/dp/1465466908
    SeattleAgJr
    Might not break $150/$160MM worldwide for opening weekend.
    Ulrich
    I'm a little confused. The direction they're going isn't my cup of tea, but it's a good movie and it's Star Wars. Box should be bigger. Did they market this thing?

Even the theater I went to this morning was almost empty.
    Zombie Jon Snow
    AG
    SeattleAgJr said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

Quote:

Correction:
    The revised canon is:

32 BBY: Han born on Correllia
  • 24 BBY: Han joins the White Worms on Corellia
  • 13 BBY: Han escapes Corellia
  • 12 BBY: Lando acquires the Falcon
  • 10 BBY: Meets Chewbacca on Mimban; Kessel Run

• Han is no longer 29 in ANH. They made him 32 now, making him closer in age to Harrison Ford at the time.

Source: Solo Visual Guide, released yesterday, written by Pablo Hidalgo, so it does not get much more official than that.
    https://www.amazon.com/Solo-Star-Story-Official-Guide/dp/1465466908

Weird....hmmm I know he was younger than Ford playing him but so what. Thats a weird change.

But anyway the events of this movie are still primarily 10 BBY.
    AgGrad99
    AG
    We saw it last night and thought it was great!!

iceman08
    AG
    Saw it last night and really liked it, hard to believe it's struggling at the box office
    jackie childs
    i saw last night and really enjoyed it.

for me, the most important factor was always going to be Alden's performance. if he missed the mark, i think the whole movie would feel like a bad karaoke performance. and i think he was wonderful and honestly, probably about the best one could hope for.

glover nailed lando.

while lady proxima was only so-so, loved the thermal detonator call-back (or call-forward?)

honestly, my nitpicks are pretty minor and have already been mentioned on here, so put me in the camp who can't wait for other spin-offs and a solo sequel.

also, loved that Han bluffed with a VCX-100...the Ghost!
    The Collective
    AG
    iceman08 said:

Saw it last night and really liked it, hard to believe it's struggling at the box office

Maybe it will have some legs.
    Bruce Almighty
    AG
    Ulrich said:

I'm a little confused. The direction they're going isn't my cup of tea, but it's a good movie and it's Star Wars. Box should be bigger. Did they market this thing?

Even the theater I went to this morning was almost empty.
    The Last Jedi just turned off so many people. Disney is alienating their largest fanbase (males in their 30s-50s) with PC crap while pissing on the franchise's greatest hero. I think it will be fine and make plenty of money, but I also don't think there is the eagerness to see this opening weekend, especially with it being Memorial Day weekend. If TLJ was a home run with audiences, then maybe people would be revolving their holiday plans around the movie. Instead, many are willing to probably just wait a week or two.
    EMY92
    AG
    A friend and I saw it Friday, we both thought it was boring.
    Flashdiaz
    AG
    Solo is Kind of a sad character. Basically raised by himself, was betrayed by his girl and his friend and ultimately betrayed by his son. Trusty chewy was his only constant.
    wangus12
    AG
    Thats why Chewie is the best bro
    SeattleAgJr
    SeattleAgJr said:

Might not break $150/$160MM worldwide for opening weekend.
    US 4-day now down to $101MM (3-day $83.3MM)
    International at $65MM

Deadline.com
    Contrary to most event pictures, Star Wars movies are not driven by offshore turnstiles. The Force Awakens, Rogue One and The Last Jedi each pulled in less than 55% of their money from overseas. Still, the numbers we're seeing from this debut weekend on a movie that got a massive promotional push at the recent Cannes Film Festival are surprisingly soft and no deflector shield is going to change that.

Disney's worldwide distribution chief Dave Hollis, who is exiting the studio this week after 17 years, allowed that expectations were certainly higher on the movie and said Mouse execs will "spend a lot of time digging into every question in every market to get the answer" to why Solo so under-performed. "We came into the beginning of the year with this one of the most anticipated films. We gotta spend some time looking at the exits and get a better handle on all the questions."
    Zombie Jon Snow
    AG
    Interesting BO is even less than I expected but word of mouth is pretty positive. We'll see how it plays out.

I think this movie will also grow on people through subsequent viewings. It's got no downside really....

• no annoying lovable animal character
    • not a plot retread in any way
    • not playing fast and loose with Jedi lore (at all)
    • not trashing beloved characters reputation
    • didn't kill off a beloved character

Ok it has a semi annoying droid character - but they killed it so it has that going for it. I'd like SW OT better if they killed C3PO at some point and he had not become a deity.

The Collective
    AG
    wangus12 said:

Thats why Chewie is the best bro

Wookies are the best friends that anyone could have.
    gomerschlep
    AG
    Just saw it with the kid. Theater about 1/3 full. I thought it was pretty good, and all the people *****ing about the L3 stuff need to take a Xanax and turn off Fox News.

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.