*** SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY ***

258,491 Views | 1959 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ol_Ag_02
Jim01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I will add Alden does a fantastic job. Makes it his own but is 100% Han.
wangus12
AG
Really liked it. My brother who is not a big Star Wars fan liked it. Loved the pacing and the fight scenes. Edge of my seat during the Maw scene with some nervousness which is funny since we already know the future

Lots of potential for the future.

Loved seeing Warwick Davis in there. Not sure how I feel about Darth Maul being in there. So used to him in the characters and knowing his tale has truly ended in Rebels
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I haven't seen Rebels, so I don't know his story. I don't love the idea of him even having survived TPM, but I accept it. But IMO, this is purely setup for him to be the main antagonist in Obi-Wan.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Agree completely. My biggest worry when the movie was announced was Alden, and he was great.
AggieGirl35
AG
We just got out.

*SPOILER*

My hubby, who is far and away a bigger fan than me and knows the nuances, was unsure about the Maul scene because it dates the movie and the timelines get a bit confusing. Admittedly I'm not as clear on it, so what did everyone who's seen it think of that?
The Collective
AG
Timeline is not as dated as your hubby thinks
Swarely
Oddly enough, to me, it had the feel of a Pirates of the Caribbean movie to me. Only, you know, in space. Great pacing, great characters. Only problem I had with it was it felt predictable.
wangus12
AG
I agree with you. Definitely felt like thats what theu want to set up
Swarely
CJS4715 said:

Timeline is not as dated as your hubby thinks

This
twilly
AG
How full were the theatres tonight? The early showing for me was only 80% full.
Saul Goodman
AG
Thought it was a solid movie. Alden did a good job, and Glover absolutely nailed Lando as expected. Chewie was great. Overall, I found the story to be a bit predictable and not all that compelling. I liked it, but would rank it behind all of the other new Star Wars movies, but much better than any of the prequels.
Jim01
AG
My 7:00 in Webster seemed sold out or close
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
About 75% for me. Standard 2D showing.
The Collective
AG
I enjoyed it. It felt predictable and the first 20 minutes had me thinking, "oh no". I didn't like the droid at all.

Not sure how they'd work in Maul to a Kenobi film though, it seems Maul hasn't seen him for a while when they meet in Rebels.
wangus12
AG
Completely sold out and people waiting at Alamo Drafthouse
birdman
Just got out. Our theatre was 90% full.

Casting was spot on. Acting and script were fantastic. It's simply a great caper movie. There were enough twists and turns to keep you guessing.

I absolutely loved it, thought it was incredible film. And I think it will get better the next time I watch it.
Saxsoon
AG
So much fun and holy **** on the twist at the end
boogieman
AG
1st time in a Dolby AMC theater. Wow. What a great system.

Damn fun movie. Very happy with it.
Swarely
Also just hit me. There at the end...

HAN SHOT FIRST!
nai06
AG
Swarely said:

HAN SHOT FIRST!

Well that settles it.
Orome
AG
Just got out and really enjoyed it. Thought it started a little slow but really picked up the pace quickly. In terms of the new movies I'd rank it below Rogue One, but way above VII and XIII. The non-numbered movies have exceeded the numbered movies by far.
boogieman
AG
Swarely said:

HAN SHOT FIRST!

Yes! How awesome was that!
wangus12
AG
Swarely said:

HAN SHOT FIRST!

You're damn right he did.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Sitting down in the theatre now. Previews start in 2 minutes, there are about 20 people here.
Simplebay
AG
Solid 7.3 outta 10. Howard added soooo much emotional in the first half.

However...its incredibly obvious the final 1/3 was the payoff and Lord and Miller.i actually thought it was really well done.

I will say this though... this is without a doubt one of the worst looking SW I've ever seen. Not sure if it was RPX theater, but the middle act was basically orange grey and horrific looking. So many key intros.... lots of indoor reshoots.... and I actually gave a shi about those intros so the color palette was even more noticeable. If R1 got the grindy grunge look right... then this took a CGI grunge shtfest over it.

Also I loved the you know who reveal. Legs and all.
wangus12
AG
80% of people are gonna be so confused by it
Pman17
AG
Just watched it, not the best but they pulled it off with all the issues that went on in making it. It's enjoyable and eases the pain from TLJ. Whoa, that ending leaves a lot of questions!
YellowPot_97
AG
Swarely said:

HAN SHOT FIRST!

Said the same to myself as soon as he shot!
Farmer1906
AG
It was good, but something was off about it from being great. The characters were really well done, even though it took some getting adjusted to it.

The twists were great at the end.

So many good monuments and nods to the OT (arm pulling, shooting first, rebellion funding, big job on tat (jaba).

I don't see how nail can be the protagonist in obiwan. He already had the perfect ending in Rebels. Maybe mother of dragons will be.

I didn't love the kessel run. That whole bit wasn't what I expected it to be.

Overall it's a good addition to the SW Universe. It's set up for another but I don't think we need one.
double aught
AG
Can someone explain to me how Darth Maul is alive? I don't watch the cartoons.
Farmer1906
AG
double aught said:

Can someone explain to me how Darth Maul is alive? I don't watch the cartoons.

Robot legs
MrPlow2010
AG
My theater only had about 8 people in it. Deadpool last week was just about sold out at the same time.
SeattleAgJr
yep lots of reports of half to less filled theaters in the Star Wars reddit thread.
TCTTS
AG
01. The Empire Strikes Back
02. A New Hope
03. Solo: A Star Wars Story
04. Rogue One
05. Return of the Jedi
06. The Force Awakens
07. The Last Jedi
08. The Phantom Menace
09. Revenge of the Sith
10. Attack of the Clones

Someone please tell me... how is EVERYONE not hyped on this movie???

Because holy hell that was fantastic.

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm pretty sure I now love the world of Star Wars more than I do Jedis and the Force and lightsabers. Give me this and Rogue One over TFA and TLJ all day long. Just keep the spin-offs coming... Solo 2, Obi-Wan, Boba Fett... whatever they've got coming down the pike, I'm there.

Seriously, the characters, the pacing, the twists, the turns, the sets, the cinemetography, the air-tightness of the script, the winks, the nods, the set ups, the payoffs... all of it was pitch perfect.

I truly do not understand how this is getting mediocre reviews. It's so... damn... fun. With great action. And it looks gorgeous. What's not to like? Even act one, which so many people are saying is clunky, was awesome. Losing the girl in the way he did, joining the Empire to get out of a pinch, Han's eagerness to be part of Beckett's crew, meeting Chewie (which was PERFECT)... I loved it all and every second of it served to anchor everything to come in just the right way.

I'm honestly at a loss. How is this not good enough for some people? Because this is how it's done. With just the right amount of humor, heart, and emotion, with an ending that so brilliantly calls back and ties up every last beat in thrilling, spot-on fashion.

Just... wow.

Give me Solo 2 now, please.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.