*** SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY ***

251,899 Views | 1959 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ol_Ag_02
aTmAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I finally saw this movie. I haven't read much of this thread, but what's up with the whole Darth Maul thing?

Wouldn't that make Han Solo about as old as Obi Wan Kanobi (at least)?

Also, why have Brunette Daenerys Targaryen be a martial arts stud too? Why does EVERYBODY got to be good at that stuff?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
They had said that she had trained under the guy and learned everything from him, I assumed that meant combat too.

This is supposed to be after the clone wars. Darth Maul survived. He has cybernetic legs in the movie.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG

I don't follow as to what Han's age has to do wth Maul?

Han was not in prequels.... I see no correlation there.

This movie is 22 years after Episode 1, 9 years after episode 3.

Han is 22 here and 32 in Star Wars/A New Hope 10 years later.

Hope that helps.

BBY = years Before (the end of Star Wars) the Battle of Yavin
32 BBY = Episode 1 and Han born (and Maul cut in half but does not die)
22 BBY = Episode 2
19 BBY = Episode 3
13 BBY - initial elements of Han solo movie on Corellia
10 BBY - remaining Han Solo movie elements
0 BBY - most of the elements of Rogue One except the backstory about Galen Erso and then SW and Battle of Yavin

aTmAg
AG
Champ Bailey said:

They had said that she had trained under the guy and learned everything from him, I assumed that meant combat too.

This is supposed to be after the clone wars. Darth Maul survived. He has cybernetic legs in the movie.

I didn't notice the legs. That makes more sense as long as you accept getting chopped in half is survivable.

My point about the martial arts stuff is that I think it's a lazy plot device to have EVERYBODY be Bruce Lee. It's not special anymore. At least Han shot first.
aTmAg
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

I don't follow as to what Han's age has to do wth Maul?

Han was not in prequels.... I see no correlation there.

It didn't dawn on me that this was after the Phantom Menace. I assumed that getting cut in half was a fatal injury, and that Darth Maul being in this movie put the time frame prior to TPM.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
aTmAg said:

Champ Bailey said:

I didn't notice the legs. That makes more sense as long as you accept getting chopped in half is survivable.

My point about the martial arts stuff is that I think it's a lazy plot device to have EVERYBODY be Bruce Lee. It's not special anymore. At least Han shot first.

Yeah, I mean it's a pretty crazy injury to survive, but the lightsaber would have cauterized his wounds, and there is previous canon showing the dark side hatred keeping someone alive through wounds that should have killed them.

As far as the girl goes, they probably should have had a scene showing how advanced her martial arts skills were before the big fight scene.
Ag Since 83
AG
You think it's lazy to have a fairly high ranking lieutenant in a criminal empire know how to fight?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

I kinda figured thats what you mean after thinking about it... I edited and put a timeline in my initial reply above to lay it out.
aTmAg
AG
Champ Bailey said:

aTmAg said:

Champ Bailey said:

Yeah, I mean it's a pretty crazy injury to survive, but the lightsaber would have cauterized his wounds, and there is previous canon showing the dark side hatred keeping someone alive through wounds that should have killed them.

I'm not getting my panties in a wad over it. I accept that their technology would be better than ours. I just saw him and thought, "damn.. that makes Han Solo an old mofo" without thinking twice about it.

Quote:

As far as the girl goes, they probably should have had a scene showing how advanced her martial arts skills were before the big fight scene.
There is also the whole reality that a woman would get her ass kicked up and down in those situations. It's hard to get past that nowadays, but every movie/TV show seems to be on that kick for some reason.
aTmAg
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

You think it's lazy to have a fairly high ranking lieutenant in a criminal empire know how to fight?
Al Capone didn't know karate. And I can't think of a woman in such a situation who could fight at all. Griselda Blanco was a fatass who sent people to do her dirty work for her. And they just shot people.

It takes dudes like Bruce Lee and MMA fighters an entire lifetime of training to be as good as they are/were. And still, if you watch these movies, every one of those guys would get their ass kicked by a 5'2" 115lb female. I assume she wasn't a sith or anything (that would be even more lame).
YouBet
AG
aTmAg said:

Ag Since 83 said:

Al Capone didn't know karate. And I can't think of a woman in such a situation who could fight at all. Griselda Blanco was a fatass who sent people to do her dirty work for her. And they just shot people.

It takes dudes like Bruce Lee and MMA fighters an entire lifetime of training to be as good as they are/were. And still, if you watch these movies, every one of those guys would get their ass kicked by a 5'2" 115lb female. I assume she wasn't a sith or anything (that would be even more lame).
Careful. This board doesn't tolerate political topics.
aTmAg
AG
YouBet said:

aTmAg said:

Ag Since 83 said:

Careful. This board doesn't tolerate political topics.
That is political?
AliasMan02
AG
aTmAg said:

Ag Since 83 said:

This is a weird take.
PatAg
AG
aTmAg said:

Champ Bailey said:

aTmAg said:

Champ Bailey said:

I'm not getting my panties in a wad over it. I accept that their technology would be better than ours. I just saw him and thought, "damn.. that makes Han Solo an old mofo" without thinking twice about it.

Quote:

There is also the whole reality that a woman would get her ass kicked up and down in those situations. It's hard to get past that nowadays, but every movie/TV show seems to be on that kick for some reason.

So you're one of those types.
nai06
AG
aTmAg said:

Ag Since 83 said:

You're cool with a space movie with ships that travel faster than speed of light, aliens that can rip people's arms out, and an ancient religion who's members can manipulate people/environment and wield magic laser swords powered by crystals.

But a woman knowing martial arts and can beat up a man? That's a bridge too far.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
In his defense, there is a very small cross section (or overlap of distribution curves, if you will) of women who could take out men. In most cases, this overlap occurs with a woman who is fully trained and in excellent shape versus a man who is either small, untrained, or both.

If I think about all the women I know, there are only 1-2 that I wouldn't be confident I could take on somewhat easily. Mostly because I am in decent shape, have had hand to hand combat training, and I weight 220 lbs. Sure there are some that could do some damage, but win the fight outright one on one? Not likely, in my case above.

Are there some excellently trained and effective fighting women? Oh yes. I wouldn't go near a Rousy or a Justino... they win.

It's not inconceivable to me that a lieutenant in a crime family in Star Wars knows what to do in a close-quarters combat situation, if she is well trained and capable. The other 95-99% who haven't had this kind of training or lack the size to be formidable, simply wouldn't physically be able to overcome the biological and natural gifts of strength than most men possess.

It's not political, it's biology, with a few exceptions. I also, think there should be no restriction on women in police, firefighting, and most combat arms in the military - as long as they can meet the standard for such roles, and that those standards are the same for all humans.
bangobango
AG
Good Lord people. It is okay for some people not to like the new movies. You don't have to belittle everyone who criticizes Star Wars....
Ag Since 83
AG
No problem with people not liking the movie. But taking issue with a Star Wars character, particularly one with Qi'ra's background and occupation, knowing how to fight is just bizarre and worthy of questioning
Flashdiaz
AG
nai06 said:

aTmAg said:

Ag Since 83 said:

You're cool with a space movie with ships that travel faster than speed of light, aliens that can rip people's arms out, and an ancient religion who's members can manipulate people/environment and wield magic laser swords powered by crystals.

But a woman knowing martial arts and can beat up a man? That's a bridge too far.
don't forget someone coming back from being cut in half and falling down a long pit and surviving because their hate-game is strong.
aTmAg
AG
nai06 said:

aTmAg said:

Ag Since 83 said:

No, my problem is two fold....
1) Every other person is a Bruce Lee class martial artist in these movies nowadays.
2) Unless she is a jedi/sith (i.e. has "superpowers"), a 5'2" 115lb female is going to get her ass kicked 100% of the time by an athletic 6'3" 200lb man.

I've said it on here before, one thing I love about shows like Breaking Bad, The Wire, Hunt for Red October, Raiders of the Lost Ark, etc. is that they don't depend on the protagonists being Bruce Lee. Even when they have lots of fighting, (Max Max, Terminator 1 & 2, Rambo 1 (the only good one), Private Ryan, etc.) they aren't karate experts. It's lazy as hell writing.
Wheatables02
AG
Quote:

MMA fighters an entire lifetime of training to be as good as they are/were

If you train 2-4 times a week, you can get really, really good in 3-5 years. If you train even more, it can be faster. Some people learn faster than others.
YouBet
AG
aTmAg said:

nai06 said:

aTmAg said:

Ag Since 83 said:

1) Every other person is a Bruce Lee class martial artist in these movies nowadays.
2) Unless she is a jedi/sith (i.e. has "superpowers"), a 5'2" 115lb female is going to get her ass kicked 100% of the time by an athletic 6'3" 200lb man.

I've said it on here before, one thing I love about shows like Breaking Bad, The Wire, Hunt for Red October, Raiders of the Lost Ark, etc. is that they don't depend on the protagonists being Bruce Lee. Even when they have lots of fighting, (Max Max, Terminator 1 & 2, Rambo 1 (the only good one), Private Ryan, etc.) they aren't karate experts. It's lazy as hell writing.

I get that but in this case she's apparently being trained by Darth Maul and there is apparently a certain type of fighting style that Sith Lords specialize in (this was shared earlier in the thread; I was not aware of this).

So, while not a Jedi she has been trained in this style by him...supposedly. Granted, could she have learned to be that effective in 3 years? No idea.
nai06
AG
aTmAg said:

nai06 said:

aTmAg said:

Ag Since 83 said:

The Wire
Hunt for Red October
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Rambo
Saving Private Ryan
Star Wars

One of these things is not like the other.

All kidding aside, it sounds like you maybe just aren't a big Sci-fi fan. I also don't think it's lazy writing. It's not a deus ex machina ending like Saving Private Ryan.
aTmAg
AG
Wheatables02 said:

Quote:

If you train 2-4 times a week, you can get really, really good in 3-5 years. If you train even more, it can be faster. Some people learn faster than others.
But then there is the problem of weight class. Bruce Lee trained like no other and yet he himself said that Mohammad Ali would kill him because of the size difference.

And that's not even addressing the physical difference between men and women. The Williams sisters claimed they could beat any man ranked below 200 and got crushed by the 350th ranked male (who smoked during changeovers) 6-1 & 6-2. The US women's national soccer team occasionally scrimmages 16 year old boy's teams and they always get destroyed by 5+ points. Look at the track numbers. There is a video out there of some dude throwing Ronda Rousey around the ring like a rag doll during a sparing session. The examples are countless. Males evolved over millions of years to be hunters, fighters, etc. No amount of training (for 3-5 years) will overcome that.
The Collective
AG
I was excited about all the new posts on this thread, and then I read them.
hurleyag
AG
aTmAg said:

Wheatables02 said:

Quote:

But then there is the problem of weight class. Bruce Lee trained like no other and yet he himself said that Mohammad Ali would kill him because of the size difference.

And that's not even addressing the physical difference between men and women. The Williams sisters claimed they could beat any man ranked below 200 and got crushed by the 350th ranked male (who smoked during changeovers) 6-1 & 6-2. The US women's national soccer team occasionally scrimmages 16 year old boy's teams and they always get destroyed by 5+ points. Look at the track numbers. There is a video out there of some dude throwing Ronda Rousey around the ring like a rag doll during a sparing session. The examples are countless. Males evolved over millions of years to be hunters, fighters, etc. No amount of training (for 3-5 years) will overcome that.
But remember, this is a long, long time ago. So it hasn't been as long of an evolution...
aTmAg
AG
nai06 said:

aTmAg said:

nai06 said:

aTmAg said:

Ag Since 83 said:

The Wire
Hunt for Red October
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Rambo
Saving Private Ryan
Star Wars

One of these things is not like the other.

All kidding aside, it sounds like you maybe just aren't a big Sci-fi fan. I also don't think it's lazy writing. It's not a deus ex machina ending like Saving Private Ryan.
I love the original 3 star wars movies, was a big fan of Star Trek NG back in the day, put Firefly in my top 5 TV series of all time, loved the Alien movies, etc. So it's nothing to do with Sci-fi. And I agree about the ending of Private Ryan. That was lazy ass writing, and I have said so on this board several times.

I used to like the Walking Dead, but one reason it has gotten so lame is because guys like Morgan and a few others have become kung fu masters. The reason I think martial arts is a lazy plot device is that you can make anybody beat anybody. They just got to make one dude grit his teeth harder and "want it more" and bam he wins. It's the modern equivalent of a montage. Yeah the Return of the Jedi had some of that, but it wasn't over the top like it is now. Luke still got his ass kicked for 99% of those 3 movies.
double aught
AG
Quote:

And I agree about the ending of Private Ryan. That was lazy ass writing, and I have said so on this board several times.
Total derail here, but oh well. I've never heard of people having a problem with the ending of SPR before. I dont really see the issue. It's mentioned more than once how important the bridge is and how reinforcements should be on the way. As far as the timing of their arrival, I think a little dramatic license is understandable. But then again, I'm no military expert .
Bruce Almighty
AG
Something tells me aTmAg isn't a fan of Bruce Lee movies.
Urban Ag
AG
double aught said:

Quote:

And I agree about the ending of Private Ryan. That was lazy ass writing, and I have said so on this board several times.
Total derail here, but oh well. I've never heard of people having a problem with the ending of SPR before. I dont really see the issue It's mentioned more than once how important the bridge is and how reinforcements should be on the way. As far as the timing of their arrival, I think a little dramatic license is understandable. But then again, I'm no military expert .
Yeah I don't get this either. The Airborne unit tasked with holding or destroying the bridge seemed understood. And it was clearly a vital enough mission that a couple dozen men were clearly willing to die for it. That and they literally battled the Wehrmacht down to 3 or 4 US troops still alive when the air support finally showed up. Don't see that as lazy writing at all.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
double aught said:

Quote:

Total derail here, but oh well. I've never heard of people having a problem with the ending of SPR before. I dont really see the issue It's mentioned more than once how important the bridge is and how reinforcements should be on the way. As far as the timing of their arrival, I think a little dramatic license is understandable. But then again, I'm no military expert .

Yeah likewise I've never heard that referred to as lazy writing... I mean it was a huge setup and payoff for that entire Battle of Ramelle. I suppose the reference is to the planes sweeping in right at the end but... it's not like it saved any of the big stars of the movie. they pretty much all died - except Ryan and well.....you know it's in the title.

If it had saved the entire company I could see the point maybe. but all of these characters died there:

Mellish (Adam Goldberg) is stabbed in that agonizing scene
Jackson (Barry Pepper) the sniper dies blown up by a tank in the tower
Horvath (Tom Sizemore) is shot multiple times and dies
Miller (Tom Hanks) is shot on the bridge trying to blow it up
Toynbe and Henderson two of the other guys with Ryan are killed either shot or blown up.
several other unnamed Allies die in the battle shot or blown up.

I think the only really named characters from the start of the film who lived were Upham (Jeremy Davies) and Reiben (Ed Burns).

And a deus ex machina is an unseen or out of the blue plot device - the entire time they were talking about reinforcements coming and just trying to hold it long enough.

Urban Ag
AG
I will say this. As much as I love Rogue One, I literally put it in the top three with ESB and ANH, this is my one gripe that I have with it.

The battle scene in the streets of Jedha, IMO, is one of the best in the entire SW franchise. It has such a gritty, raw, feel to it. Amazingly filmed. But it has two flaws. First, Jyn kicks the sh** out of 5 or 6 Stormtroopers with what is the equivalent of a police baton. Second, the blind Asian guy kicks the sh** out of at least a dozen stormtroopers with his stick. I like both characters, I get they are both bad asses, but that was just way too overkill to the point of being silly. And that is what I loved so much about Rogue One is that like ESB and ANH, it one of only three SW films that didn't include any silliness.

In regards to Emilia Clarke's character and her martial arts capabilities, I really never even thought about it until I read aTm's posts, probably cause I hadn't had a Mother of Dragon's fix in a while.
aTmAg
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Something tells me aTmAg isn't a fan of Bruce Lee movies.
Actually, I am a fan of Bruce Lee himself. I haven't watched many of his movies (since I was a kid), but back then it was fresh and new (at least in America). And also, it doesn't hurt that he himself could actually do that stuff. The same goes with Jackie Chan. The difference between the Americanized versions of Jackie Chan movies and his native ones is night and day. He performs ridiculous stunts himself that no other actor would dare to do, so he brings that to the table.

Meanwhile, we have walking dead where we are supposed to believe John Carroll Lynch is a karate master sensie:

Really?

That's the sort of thing that makes my eyes roll.
Flashdiaz
AG
Urban Ag said:

The battle scene in the streets of Jedha, IMO, is one of the best in the entire SW franchise. It has such a gritty, raw, feel to it. Amazingly filmed. But it has two flaws. First, Jyn kicks the sh** out of 5 or 6 Stormtroopers with what is the equivalent of a police baton. Second, the blind Asian guy kicks the sh** out of at least a dozen stormtroopers with his stick. I like both characters, I get they are both bad asses, but that was just way too overkill to the point of being silly. And that is what I loved so much about Rogue One is that like ESB and ANH, it one of only three SW films that didn't include any silliness.

just to reiterate, stormtrooper armor:
- can't help against primates throwing rocks at you
- can't help against a blind man with a stick
- can't help when blind man kicks sand at you
- can't help against a girl with a stick
- cracks in pieces (TFA) when thrown.

sounds like they need a new manufacturer.
aTmAg
AG
Yeah, my criticism of SPR is how the planes happen to get there JUST at the nick of time. Not only that, the planes show up at the same time as the rest of the American army rather than hours ahead of time since they do go 400+ MPH afterall.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.