*** SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY ***

251,061 Views | 1959 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ol_Ag_02
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wait. I guess I missed something. Is Lando gay?
AliasMan02
AG
Junkhead said:

Gay for dudes and droids, according to a writer who doesn't get the final say in such things. It's not canon or anything.
fig96
AG
Junkhead said:

Basically, Lando is down to get down with anyone of any persuasion. Which honestly makes perfect sense for the character for me.
PatAg
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

or did you mean Landeaux Calrissian, his Cajun cousin?
I'm sure everyone loves your contributions to thread. Oh ****, someone spelled something wrong or made a type, put out the SeattleAgJr searchlight. It puts a silhouette of a giant ***** on the night sky.
Belton Ag
AG
PatAg said:

SeattleAgJr said:

I'm sure everyone loves your contributions to thread. Oh ****, someone spelled something wrong or made a type, put out the SeattleAgJr searchlight. It puts a silhouette of a giant ***** on the night sky.
But this post really made the thread so much better.
Redstone
AG
In addition to the questions that have been raised here and elsewhere about Diversity, there was something I couldn't quite put my "finger" on about the film - but I think this explains it ...

https://forward.com/culture/402013/why-han-solo-is-the-most-goyish-star-wars-hero/
SeattleAgJr
PatAg said:

SeattleAgJr said:

Oh, you got me there. Now I am so ashamed I will only post in this thread 10 times a day.

Guess you are still burned from the ice joke yesterday. Try some aloe vera.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Lando should open a tiddy bar on Coruscant named LandHoes.
TCTTS
AG
Incredibly interesting read...

oragator
This says a lot of what I was saying a few pages a ago:

There's no guarantee that what they wanted to make would've turned out any better than what Ron Howard crafted. It's clear that something was going on behind-the-scenes that angered Kathleen Kennedy enough to give Lord and Miller the axe. Maybe their work really wasn't up to par. Or maybe it really was just too different for this franchise. Different doesn't always mean better, but it often results in something interesting. And I'd gladly take an interesting failure over a safe movie that's only marginally successful.
And was it all worth it? Maybe not. Solo is underperforming at the box office.. Everyone worked so hard to make sure the film kept its May 25 release date, and yet the irony is, Solo might have fared better had Disney and Lucasfilm pushed it to December, which seems to be the new, safe home of Star Wars movies.

"It's very much the movie we sort of hoped it would be," Jonathan Kasdan said, emphasis mine. Perhaps that's the answer to the question. Was all this change, all this trouble, all this shifting from something challenging and new to something safe and predictable, worth it?
Sort of.
PatAg
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

PatAg said:

SeattleAgJr said:

Oh, you got me there. Now I am so ashamed I will only post in this thread 10 times a day.

Guess you are still burned from the ice joke yesterday. Try some aloe vera.
Aloe vera makes me itchy, but I appreciate the suggestion
PatAg
AG
Various media/twitter people can say whatever they like, a lot of us on this thread enjoyed the hell out of the movie. That should be good enough for most of the regulars on here.
Another Doug
AG
PatAg said:

SeattleAgJr said:

Thank you for this. I will from now on think as SeattleAgJr as... the *****man.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

The Collective
AG
wrong thread
jackie childs
as I stated earlier...i really enjoyed Solo. but just reflecting back on it after hearing some others' thoughts, would the movie have been better by cutting the opening scene in correlia?

the movie could start with Han fighting for the empire. we could see some clips of him actually flying, but having issues with authority and struggling with some of the things he's asked to do. he then meets Beckett and his crew (just like in the film). you could have Han tell Beckett the entire Correlia backstory (rough childhood, loving/losing Qi-Ra, and enlisting only as a means to avoid capture).

that would free up some time to show more of Han actually being/becoming a great pilot (instead of just telling us), save the Qi'Ra reveal until later, and also potentially give us some more heist-type scenes with Beckett's crew (instead of throwing us right into the train scene).

Flashdiaz
AG
re: Maul

Slashfilm: when that [the scene with Maul] came on, I was like this is kind of like a Marvel thing where they're like hinting to where they're going. It was fun.

Ron Howard: That wasn't really the intention, but I'm glad it did that because maybe it'll suggest more. Who knows?

I just don't get how they keep introducing ideas\characters without having any thought of a future plan. The executives in charge of this universe are less like Marvel and more like a dog chasing cars.

Atreides Ornithopter
AG
jackie childs said:

as I stated earlier...i really enjoyed Solo. but just reflecting back on it after hearing some others' thoughts, would the movie have been better by cutting the opening scene in correlia?

the movie could start with Han fighting for the empire. we could see some clips of him actually flying, but having issues with authority and struggling with some of the things he's asked to do. he then meets Beckett and his crew (just like in the film). you could have Han tell Beckett the entire Correlia backstory (rough childhood, loving/losing Qi-Ra, and enlisting only as a means to avoid capture).

that would free up some time to show more of Han actually being/becoming a great pilot (instead of just telling us), save the Qi'Ra reveal until later, and also potentially give us some more heist-type scenes with Beckett's crew (instead of throwing us right into the train scene).

This would work as long as when Han tells the Correlia backstory you at least see some of it, including Qi-ra. the reveal of her could not be the first time we see her.
The Collective
AG
Hopefully it was just suggested to Ron to use Maul for this, and he just said, "Sure, that's fine". Maybe he doesn't know the full plan, and that would be ok. *grasping at straws here*
Jason Ag
AG
Kind of like RO should have ended when Vader walked out onto the platform in the launch bay.
Flashdiaz
AG
CJS4715 said:

Hopefully it was just suggested to Ron to use Maul for this, and he just said, "Sure, that's fine". Maybe he doesn't know the full plan, and that would be ok. *grasping at straws here*
doesn't sound like it....

Ron Howard: I will say that was scripted and there was a lot of uncertainty as to who that character would be. So it was sort of initially written in a rather generic way. It just sort of said "Boss". And I thought when I came in, I assumed they knew who it was and they were just keeping it under wraps. And they didn't. But Maul was listed as one of the candidates. And I lobbied hard for that. I thought that made a lot of sense to me. I found that character to be really effective. And I knew for a fact, without asking directly and giving anything away, my son Reed who just turned 31, who's a dedicated Star Wars fan, he's a golfer. He's not in the business. Dedicated Star Wars fan. I just whispered that possibility and he just thought that would be incredibly cool. And so for that generation, I thought, well that was gonna be a pretty interesting idea. And doing a little more research and understanding sort of how the character had worked elsewhere, I thought it was good. And the Kasdan's were on board with that. And but then we actually shot it twice. Because we did it once. And then we realized, it wasn't quite Maul enough yet.
The Collective
AG
Well, fook.
double aught
AG
I just listened to The Adventures of Han. Really good.
Dro07
AG
Glad they have such a great outline for everything...

When can we get Dave Filoni in charge of Star Wars?
fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

Unlike a live action Lego movie as many of us sort of feared, that they were looking to go after a gritty Western kind of feel.

I understand why the studio would be hesitant and how they may have had budget/schedule issues but man, you know you're going outside the box by hiring them. Let them go for it, if there's a place you can take a risk it's on a standalone film.

AliasMan02
AG
fig96 said:

TCTTS said:

as many of us sort of feared, that they were looking to go after a gritty Western kind of feel.

I understand why the studio would be hesitant and how they may have had budget/schedule issues but man, you know you're going outside the box by hiring them. Let them go for it, if there's a place you can take a risk it's on a standalone film.

I'd have loved the Western, but that story conflicts a lot with what was out there when they got the axe, which was that they were making Han into something of a clown and not treating the material with respect. There were comparisons to Ace Ventura. Not saying that's true, but that's what was out there at the time.

People also put WAY too much stock into concept art. Concept artists are often told very little and just pitch things. Some of the art sounds like the result of artists being told "it's a Star Wars Western" and they just went to work.
fig96
AG
AliasMan02 said:

fig96 said:

TCTTS said:

as many of us sort of feared, that they were looking to go after a gritty Western kind of feel.

I'd have loved the Western, but that story conflicts a lot with what was out there when they got the axe, which was that they were making Han into something of a clown and not treating the material with respect. There were comparisons to Ace Ventura. Not saying that's true, but that's what was out there at the time.

People also put WAY too much stock into concept art. Concept artists are often told very little and just pitch things. Some of the art sounds like the result of artists being told "it's a Star Wars Western" and they just went to work.
But was that real story, the Lucasfilm version, a pissed off writer's version..? We're never really gonna know.
Furlock Bones
AG

Quote:

The concept art shows many different alien looks for Vos. At one point, production designers considered making him a Lasat, an alien species introduced in Star Wars Rebels. To hear the Art of Solo tell it, the idea to make Vos human was due to the perceived love-triangle angle going on the film with Han jealous of Qi'ra's possible relationship with Vos. The production team say they felt it would be hard to believe that Qi'ra would fall for an alien creature over Han, but again why? Anything should go in the Star Wars universe, including potential romance between humans and aliens.

I also think this explanation is a cop-out. My guess is that when Howard came on to reshoot, there just wasn't enough time to turn Vos into an alien. Howard had to get the film shot by October 2017, and the production was already running behind schedule. It made more sense, financially, to just slap some scars on Paul Bettany's face and call it a day.
am i the only one that doesn't think Dryden was a typical human? i mean sure they didn't go full on alien. but, when he gets pissed, his scars turn red and his eyes go red hinting at something beyond just a human.
Flashdiaz
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Quote:

The concept art shows many different alien looks for Vos. At one point, production designers considered making him a Lasat, an alien species introduced in Star Wars Rebels. To hear the Art of Solo tell it, the idea to make Vos human was due to the perceived love-triangle angle going on the film with Han jealous of Qi'ra's possible relationship with Vos. The production team say they felt it would be hard to believe that Qi'ra would fall for an alien creature over Han, but again why? Anything should go in the Star Wars universe, including potential romance between humans and aliens.

I also think this explanation is a cop-out. My guess is that when Howard came on to reshoot, there just wasn't enough time to turn Vos into an alien. Howard had to get the film shot by October 2017, and the production was already running behind schedule. It made more sense, financially, to just slap some scars on Paul Bettany's face and call it a day.
am i the only one that doesn't think Dryden was a typical human? i mean sure they didn't go full on alien. but, when he gets pissed, his scars turn red and his eyes go red hinting at something beyond just a human.
didn't his eyes turn yellow when he was killed?
agracer
AG
oragator said:

This says a lot of what I was saying a few pages a ago:

There's no guarantee that what they wanted to make would've turned out any better than what Ron Howard crafted. It's clear that something was going on behind-the-scenes that angered Kathleen Kennedy enough to give Lord and Miller the axe. Maybe their work really wasn't up to par. Or maybe it really was just too different for this franchise. Different doesn't always mean better, but it often results in something interesting. And I'd gladly take an interesting failure over a safe movie that's only marginally successful.
And was it all worth it? Maybe not. Solo is underperforming at the box office.. Everyone worked so hard to make sure the film kept its May 25 release date, and yet the irony is, Solo might have fared better had Disney and Lucasfilm pushed it to December, which seems to be the new, safe home of Star Wars movies.

"It's very much the movie we sort of hoped it would be," Jonathan Kasdan said, emphasis mine. Perhaps that's the answer to the question. Was all this change, all this trouble, all this shifting from something challenging and new to something safe and predictable, worth it?
Sort of.
Maybe because TLJ was so bad and fans are holding back until they hear if it sucks or not. I've seen every SW movie since ESB on opening day. I waited until 3-days after opening before going to see Solo.
The Collective
AG
I am glad they didn't put out something that would have made a joke out of Han. Can you imagine the blowback if it came across that way? I can see playing it safe here. The big risk should come with a non-established character.
jackie childs
if anybody thought about Solo being a space western, they should've just called Joss.

so with all the various SW content on the schedule, i do hope they start to mix it up a little. that's part of why the MCU has been able to fight off some of the "comic book fatigue", because they make different types of films that fit the character/story they're telling. a western style Solo would've been pretty cool, imo.
fig96
AG
jackie childs said:

if anybody thought about Solo being a space western, they should've just called Joss.

so with all the various SW content on the schedule, i do hope they start to mix it up a little. that's part of why the MCU has been able to fight off some of the "comic book fatigue", because they make different types of films that fit the character/story they're telling. a western style Solo would've been pretty cool, imo.
I feel like we got that with RO, and Solo had a bit of a heist feel to it. But agreed, would be great to see them push things a bit farther.
txagman1998
AG
The only thing that bothered me from that story (if true), is the idea that they were hesitant to make Vos a Lasat because they thought Qi'ra falling for an alien would not be believable to the audience. At the end of the day it's a Sci-fi, so of course different planetary species, human or otherwise, should be able to fall in love with each other.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Think of all the types of movies they could do with Star Wars:

-Landos 11: A Star Wars Story
-Wormhole of Spies: A Star Wars Story
-Nudcha ov Kogas: A Hutt Story (War of Beds; i.e. Game of Thrones; best I could translate)
-Jizzler on the Roof: A Star Wars Musical
-The Mawshank Redemption: A Star Wars Story
-The Good, the Bad, and the Ugnaught: A Star Wars Story
-Seven Jedi: A Star Wars Story
-The Silence of the Chadra-Fans: A Star Wars Story
-Imperial History X: A Star Wars Story

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.