*** SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY ***

255,792 Views | 1959 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ol_Ag_02
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Well yeah, but it's the only fight you will ever see the Emperor in before he's all butt-foreheaded.

Is this is Clone Wars?
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
twilly said:

Here is what I know about box office numbers. I know NOTHING about box office numbers.

Sure there are formulas that show what is should do, but does anybody really know. I bring forward this example. Same website, 1 day apart...

Screenrant May 30th
"Solo to net $30-33M in second weekend"

Screenrant May 31st
"Latest projections show Solo earning about $60M on 2nd weekend"

So which is it?
the 30-33 was BEFORE they uploaded L3 into the computer.
samurai_science
Hopefully it's bad so maybe they will make a leadership change at lucasfilm.
Ulrich
twilly said:

Here is what I know about box office numbers. I know NOTHING about box office numbers.

Sure there are formulas that show what it should do, but does anybody really know. I bring forward this example. Same website, 1 day apart...

Screenrant May 30th
"Solo to net $30-33M in second weekend"

Screenrant May 31st
"Latest projections show Solo earning about $60M on 2nd weekend"

So which is it?

I have a model that is always right on these weekend projections, I'll fire it up. Usually takes about 72 hours to run.
TCTTS
AG
daggertx said:

The Force Awakens
$248M Opening Weekend / Domestic = #2 All-time
$529M Opening Weekend / Worldwide = #4 All-time
$936M Total / Domestic = #1 All-time
$2B Total / Worldwide = #3 All-time

Rogue One
$155M Opening Weekend / Domestic = #16 All-time
$290M Opening Weekend / Worldwide = #27 All-time
$532M Total / Domestic = #10 All-time
$1B Total / Worldwide = #25 All-time

The Last Jedi
$220M Opening Weekend / Domestic = #3 All-time
$450M Opening Weekend / Worldwide = #6 All-time
$620M Total / Domestic = #8 All-time
$1.3B Total / Worldwide = #11 All-time

Solo
$84M Opening Weekend / Domestic = #81 All-time
$148M Opening Weekend / Worldwide = #97 All-time

With that resume - in addition to the countless other blockbuster classics Kennedy has produced over her nearly 40-year stellar career - one "failure" in this franchise isn't going to do her in. It's just comical how ridiculous all this "Fire Kennedy!" talk is.

It's not happening.

Besides, realistically, who could come in and do better? NO ONE is landing Spielberg/Nolan/Cameron/etc for a Star Wars movie. In terms of practicality, the next best thing blockbuster-wise is/was J.J. Abrams. He didn't want to do it, told her no repeatedly, yet she persisted and landed him. And then after Abrams' wife told him he could never do another sequel again after TFA, Kennedy somehow convinced him to come back for one last go with Episode IX.

Sure, Kennedy has clearly had her share of director troubles as well, but ANYONE would have hired Gareth Edwards after Godzilla, and ANYONE would have taken a chance on Johnson, who, by all accounts, is/was one of the smartest, nicest, and most exciting filmmakers around. Just because he didn't give fanboys the Luke they wanted doesn't mean he's a bad filmmaker. Not by a long shot. That, and kudos to Kennedy for thinking outside of the box and taking a chance on Lord & Miller as well. It obviously didn't work out, but the vast majority of fandom was over the moon when they were announced. And now she somehow lands James Mangold for a Boba Fett spin-off? I had absolutely no desire to see that movie, but after Logan, I'll be the first in line. I literally can't think of a better, more appropriate director to take on that material.

Outside of Colin Trevorrow, which she course-corrected, Kennedy is hiring EXACTLY who everyone - in terms of a realistic consensus - wants for these movies. Sure, I wish Lucasfilm as a whole would have taken more time to map, connect, and flesh out the new trajectory of the franchise before TFA hit theaters, and delayed everything 'til at least 2016, but Kennedy's hands were tied, her and Abrams tried to argue for more time, and Bob Iger wasn't having it. He had stock holders to answer to and wasn't budging from 2015. So if you want to blame anyone, blame Bob Iger.

Anyway, apologies for going off on a random post, but I've had enough of this whining. So many people in this thread and on Twitter have absolutely NO IDEA what they're talking about, and sound like petulant children stomping their feet in a tantrum because mommy gave them a sugar cookie instead of chocolate chip.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Thank you.

Kennedy is an OG.
wangus12
AG
Sex Panther said:

I don't think it's going to have a very good second weekend. I also think Upgrade is going to surprise pretty big time.
That movie looks dumb as hell
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Kennedy is not the problem directly. Her story telling group led by Kiri Hart are the main culprits for continuity (Hidalgo).

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/inside-star-wars-writers-room-846856

That article describes the 5 key players in the writing team for the Disney/LucasFilm Group.

Kennedy's fault may lie in not kicking Kiri Hart to the curb after TLJ. This writing team worked with Rian on that discombobulated hole-punch of a movie and she leads that team. Therefore she surely read the script and approved all of the ... mess ... in that movie.
TCTTS
AG
I don't think you (and quite a few others) understand the primary purpose of the story group. They're not charting this mission. They're mainly there to answer questions, say "no, X is inconsistent with Y," and basically play quality control in terms of ensuring consistency of alien races, planets, the lore, history, etc.

You can't have a group of non-filmmakers dictating the arc of the story and then expect to hire great filmmakers to come in and adhere to a pre-set course. It's a delicate balance of kind of sort having a plan, but then also allowing the filmmakers the freedom to invent and take the story where they see fit.

So blaming the story group is somewhat of a cop out as well.

Again, what this franchise needed more than anything was more time, which it simply wasn't afforded.
israeliag
AG
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
So the story group is there to tell you

" you have to have him shoot first"
" Han is from Corellia, yes 2 Ls"
" No I think Darth Maul is dead, let me check"
" Yes, YT 1300"
" Yes I know parsecs is a distance but we are going to explain that here Ron"
The Collective
AG
TBH, articles about the story group paint a different picture than what you describe in your post, so the confusion makes sense.

I do agree with your assessment though. This interviews with the directors heading into their films make this point clear. The story group just doesn't have much say on the actual story direction.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Somebody has to be in charge of the overall direction of the trilogy, the continuity between movies, and the quality control on the plots.

If it's the Directors, and this is the result, then ultimately Kathleen is not vetting or giving enough direction to the directors. For a franchise and following this huge and ravenous, you cannot have decentralized storytelling and have it make any sense to the audience.
djmeen95
AG
I'm curious how Marvel Studios manages this. They've gotten better and better at weaving storylines across multiple films.

Seems they'd totally copy that model for Star Wars.
jackie childs
djmeen95 said:

I'm curious how Marvel Studios manages this. They've gotten better and better at weaving storylines across multiple films.

Seems they'd totally copy that model for Star Wars.
they have kevin feige
Render
AG
Hey Disney! Solo's box office subverted your expectations, so that's a good thing, right?
Render
AG
Please. It isn't just the failure of Solo, it's the whole way this SW cinematic-universe has been trotted out. If this is the result of Kennedy and Iger's brilliant "managing" then it's laughable. Anyone with a modicum of common sense could structure a better SW business plan. I've seen far better SW cinematic-universe concepts on Reddit, YouTube comments, and other forums spread across the Internet than anything these Hollywood hacks have come up with. Disney has treated SW only as a money making asset to exploited and never as a beloved series to be respected - the fans are recognizing it and acting accordingly.

You can blame Iger or whoever, but overall, since the company led with arrogance, greed, and incompetence in their foray into SW, irreparable damage has been done. This stuff ain't hard to figure out - the fans and average moviegoers have every right to be upset.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
TCTTS said:

daggertx said:

The Force Awakens

Rogue One

The Last Jedi

Solo

With that resume - in addition to the countless other blockbuster classics Kennedy has produced over her nearly 40-year stellar career - one "failure" in this franchise isn't going to do her in. It's just comical how ridiculous all this "Fire Kennedy!" talk is.

It's not happening.

Besides, realistically, who could come in and do better? NO ONE is landing Spielberg/Nolan/Cameron/etc for a Star Wars movie. In terms of practicality, the next best thing blockbuster-wise is/was J.J. Abrams. He didn't want to do it, told her no repeatedly, yet she persisted and landed him. And then after Abrams' wife told him he could never do another sequel again after TFA, Kennedy somehow convinced him to come back for one last go with Episode IX.

Sure, Kennedy has clearly had her share of director troubles as well, but ANYONE would have hired Gareth Edwards after Godzilla, and ANYONE would have taken a chance on Johnson, who, by all accounts, is/was one of the smartest, nicest, and most exciting filmmakers around. Just because he didn't give fanboys the Luke they wanted doesn't mean he's a bad filmmaker. Not by a long shot. That, and kudos to Kennedy for thinking outside of the box and taking a chance on Lord & Miller as well. It obviously didn't work out, but the vast majority of fandom was over the moon when they were announced. And now she somehow lands James Mangold for a Boba Fett spin-off? I had absolutely no desire to see that movie, but after Logan, I'll be the first in line. I literally can't think of a better, more appropriate director to take on that material.

Outside of Colin Trevorrow, which she course-corrected, Kennedy is hiring EXACTLY who everyone - in terms of a realistic consensus - wants for these movies. Sure, I wish Lucasfilm as a whole would have taken more time to map, connect, and flesh out the new trajectory of the franchise before TFA hit theaters, and delayed everything 'til at least 2016, but Kennedy's hands were tied, her and Abrams tried to argue for more time, and Bob Iger wasn't having it. He had stock holders to answer to and wasn't budging from 2015. So if you want to blame anyone, blame Bob Iger.

Anyway, apologies for going off on a random post, but I've had enough of this whining. So many people in this thread and on Twitter have absolutely NO IDEA what they're talking about, and sound like petulant children stomping their feet in a tantrum because mommy gave them a sugar cookie instead of chocolate chip.

Kennedy makes SJW movies pushing private agendas like an inner city meth dealer pushes... well, meth.

She makes ****ty Star Wars movies. But it's Star Wars and we take what we can get. Solo was stupid and the the script has full of holes. Plus, we already knew where Chewy and Han met, that the Falcon made the Kessel Run in 14 parsecs, and that Keira is gonna die so Han can bang Leia and sire another bull sh_t character...

Don't even get me started how Kennedy and the Kasdans ****ed up the ONE SHOT they had with Hamil, Fisher and Ford.

So yeah, change the Lucas film leadership. Disney is already a left wing company but the Marvel films are not complete garbage.
Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen
Flashdiaz
AG
wow. and I thought I took Star Wars too seriously.
jackie childs
AlphaCharlieUniformAggie said:

Kennedy makes SJW movies pushing private agendas like an inner city meth dealer pushes... well, meth.

She makes ****ty Star Wars movies. But it's Star Wars and we take what we can get. Solo was stupid and the the script has full of holes. Plus, we already knew where Chewy and Han met, that the Falcon made the Kessel Run in 14 parsecs, and that Keira is gonna die so Han can bang Leia and sire another bull sh_t character...

Don't even get me started how Kennedy and the Kasdans ****ed up the ONE SHOT they had with Hamil, Fisher and Ford.

So yeah, change the Lucas film leadership. Disney is already a left wing company but the Marvel films are complete garbage.

PaulSimonsGhost
AG
Hah! I did it to myself!

Gave you a blue star and will leave it wrong.

Steve McQueen
Cromagnum
AG

TCTTS said:

daggertx said:

The Force Awakens

Rogue One

The Last Jedi

Solo

It's not happening.

So yeah, change the Lucas film leadership. Disney is already a left wing company but the Marvel films are complete garbage.

The Marvel movies are garbage, yet are breaking records left and right? Ok, don't comment further on movies.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

that the Falcon made the Kessel Run in 14 parsecs
Everything you said is now nullified.

Thank you, try again.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
No, they're good, I ****ed up in my editing.

I think Disney should handle Star Wars like the Marvel films.

Steve McQueen
Render
AG
The problem is that they're applying the Marvel model to SW. Superheroes are inherently silly (grown adults in tights), hence the need for a comical tone and silly jokes. SW is a different animal - there's nothing inherently silly about it, people want to take it seriously. That misunderstanding of tone, and Disney's stubborn insistence on putting out a movie every year in order to be just like Marvel, are a few reasons why people don't like the direction of these movies.
Sex Panther
AG
Render said:

SW is a different animal - there's nothing inherently silly about it, people want to take it seriously. That misunderstanding of tone, and Disney's stubborn insistence on putting out a movie every year in order to be just like Marvel, are a few reasons why people don't like the direction of these movies.

Dude. I love Star Wars, but come on...

Nothing wrong with silly ***** As long as the characters and stories are great it doesn't matter.
Render
AG
Sex Panther said:

Render said:

SW is a different animal - there's nothing inherently silly about it, people want to take it seriously. That misunderstanding of tone, and Disney's stubborn insistence on putting out a movie every year in order to be just like Marvel, are a few reasons why people don't like the direction of these movies.

Dude. I love Star Wars, but come on...

Nothing wrong with silly ***** As long as the characters and stories are great it doesn't matter.

It's not silly the same way superhero movies are. Sure, there are fantasy and sci-fi elements in SW, and it's never been high concept, but overall it felt familiar to real life. People didn't dress in fantastical clothing, the landscapes looked like American landscapes, the aesthetic allusions to WWII were familiar, and the emotions were grounded in themes of revelation, temptation, redemption, and sacrifice. Whereas with nearly all superhero movies, it's about some bad guy who wants revenge fighting good guys in tights, with a doomsday weapon that shoots a blue laser in the sky.

Case-in-point: There was no one who after seeing the "I am your father" scene who thought, "Y'know what this needs? Some silly jokes to liven the tone! Let's undercut the emotion to let people know they really shouldn't take this scene seriously! Because one of the guys wears a cape! How dumb!" No, you took that scene seriously because it was.

(Note: By "seriously", I don't mean the same way you would take a movie like Schindler's List seriously or something like that.)
Ulrich
I would argue that 3 of the 4 tried very hard to respect the fans and the universe.

TFA was extremely sincere and respectful of the characters. The plot was not exactly ground breaking, but I thought it was pitch perfect on the feel and tone.

R1 was solid. A bit different, but still solid.

Solo did an excellent job staying true to the characters. After TLJ everyone is hyper sensitive, and we've still got few complaints about how they handled three significant characters in Han, Chewie, and Lando. The main one seems to be essentially the pace at which Han is turning into the cynical, ambiguous character in the Mos Eisley cantina. The second one is a reaction to a writer's tweet, not really in the movie.

I've said my piece on TLJ so I'll try not to go overboard. The throne room scene was deeply grounded in the universe, but otherwise the integrity of the universe came in a distant second to directorial ambitions.

While there may be a lot of plot issues at a strategic level (again centered on TLJ), as a whole I think they've respected the tone and history of the franchise.
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

daggertx said:

The Force Awakens

Rogue One

The Last Jedi

Solo

It's not happening.

edit: I now see what nonsensical posts that made you feel the need to make your post. Still think the rest is worth considering, but I honestly feel kind of flabbergasted at stuff I read on this site lately.

Is the question how much money can you make, or how coherent a story/vision are you able to achieve with the movies you release? I'm not advocating firing her, but I think a lot of complaints have a solid basis.

I think if anything, it should put an emphasis on what an astounding job Feige has been able to do, and maybe he's one of the few people capable of doing this "cinematic universe" deal.
TCTTS
AG
I missed your post before the edit. Are you suggesting *I* take a rest from this thread? As opposed to all the people continuously and irrationally b*tching and moaning over the direction of the franchise? If so, I've hardly posted in this thread over the past week. I just got tired of reading all the whining and decided to give some informed insight into the process.

That, and I'm not saying Kennedy is some brilliant mastermind either. I agree that her and Lucasfilm have obviously made some mistakes. Quite a few, in fact, and I'm not thrilled with a lot of their choices over the years either. I feel like I've made that pretty clear ever since December 2015.

I'm just saying that the idea of Kennedy getting fired because Solo underperformed is preposterous. Especially considering the performance of the three movies before it. That, and because of the nature of the beast, I don't think anyone could have done any better. Star Wars is not Marvel. There's no copy and paste formula. This is new territory, trying to franchise the franchise to end all franchises, one that looks to require perhaps a more deft touch than previously anticipated in retrofitting it for modern audiences / modern studio franchise models.There are going to be growing pains in making that happen, and against my better judgement, I'm simply trying to tell Star Wars superfans to chill and let the powers that be work the kinks out. Yes, it definitely sucks that those kinks came at the cost of shortchanging Luke/Han/Leia, but the situation is what the situation is, and if these NEXT trilogies suck, THAT'S when changes will be made.
Render
AG
I disagree. The 3 out of 4 movies you mention don't hold up very well on subsequent viewings. Those movies could have been really good, but as TC said which I agree with, they needed more time to fully flesh out the scripts.

The lack of time for the creators, the lack of overarching vision, the urgent urgent urgent need to get these movies out as fast as possible to adhere to an arbitrary year-over-year release schedule, tells me Disney didn't really care about craftsmanship. They thought people would see the movies long-term simply out of brand recognition. "Compelling stories and characters?? Who needs that?! It's Star Wars! People will see it regardless!"

Modern movies usually suck because studios don't give creators enough time to let ideas geminate and for scripts to be fine-tuned. Disney could do that - look at Mad Max: Fury Road, the time given to Nolan to work out his Batman trilogy, the great accomplishment of the first Infinity War movie - but they decided to subscribe to the mad rat-race style of modern blockbuster movie-making.

I don't hate Disney. I really do wish they would get their crap together. But at the end of the day they're a conglomerate corporation, not exactly the ideal environment for making great movies.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
The hulk and first captain America SUUUCKED. I think they will eventually find their groove like Marvel did, and start hammering out a universe.

The issue though, is that everybody wants the trilogy to be good. And I am in that camp fully. I wish they would have waited to get their groove before starting the trilogy.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
Quote:

...just saying that the idea of Kennedy getting fired because Solo underperformed is preposterous. Especially considering the performance of the three movies before it.

OMG, do you seriously not understand what this is about?

She says she doesn't care what the fans think and wears her "the force is female t-shirts. JJ Abrams said were threatened by women. They made Lando pansexual and Jon Kasdan said we're small minded for not liking it. They are making Star Wars a platform for their political agenda.

The reason the film did poorly was because of a boycott to protest Kennedy and The Last Jedi. Did you completely miss that? The success of the previous films was due to the good will of the Star Wars brand; because peopled hoped the franchise could be revived after George Lucas began his his steady march toward insanity.

People don't want her fired because of the poor grossing film; the film was poor grossing BECAUSE they want her fired.

Steve McQueen
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

...just saying that the idea of Kennedy getting fired because Solo underperformed is preposterous. Especially considering the performance of the three movies before it.

OMG, do you seriously not understand what this is about?

She says she doesn't care what the fans think and wears her "the force is female t-shirts. JJ Abrams said were threatened by women. They made Lando pansexual and Jon Kasdan said we're small minded for not liking it. They are making Star Wars a platform for their political agenda.

The reason the film did poorly was because of a boycott to protest Kennedy and The Last Jedi. Did you completely miss that? The success of the previous films was due to the good will of the Star Wars brand; because peopled hoped the franchise could be revived after George Lucas began his his steady march toward insanity.

People don't want her fired because of the poor grossing film; the film was poor grossing BECAUSE they want her fired.

Dude, you're so far off, and repeating so many cliched, dispelled rumors that you're not even worth responding to. That said, for the sake of attempting to nip this sh*t in the bud...

- Please show me where Kennedy has actually said that she doesn't care what the fans think. I'll wait.

- Who ******* cares if a woman wears a "The Force is Female" t-shirt? More power to them if more women find a way to connect with this franchise. Disney's primary goal is to make money, and that means expanding their audience. Lucasfilm's "political agenda" is profit and nothing else. And you know who represents half the population / is showing up in droves to the theater more and more? Women.

- No one "made" Lando pansexual. Jonathan Kasdan was asked by an interviewer AFTER the movie was complete if Lando was pansexual and Kasdan essentially shrugged and said, "Sure?" It was a dumb question and a dumb answer, sure, but not in any way official or canon.

- If you truly believe the film did poorly because of a boycott by that sad contingent of man children protesting Kennedy, I don't what to tell you. No analyst, pundit, or industry insider worth their salt believes that those idiots had anything to do with Solo's poor performance. Because they didn't. That's like saying the four guys with face paint and their shirts off going nuts at a football game were the reason the team they were rooting against lost. You're so wrong on this it's laughable.

- Finally, how are you and those like you who keep showing up more and more in these threads so incredibly un-self-aware? Your frantic, paranoid delusions are so incredibly cliched, and even if you believed every word you were saying, why would want to sound so sad and laughably angry? I seriously do not get it.
Ulrich
I thought I had mentioned that I'm leaving plot and overall quality etc out of it. My only point was that I disagree with the idea that TFA, R1, and Solo subordinated the characters and fans. Walking out, I felt that Abrams and Howard worked very hard to do the characters justice. R1 is a different animal, but I still had very few issues with how it meshed with the universe.

I have plenty of issues with the movies, as many on this thread are probably sick of hearing, I'm just trying to give credit where I can.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.