*** SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY ***

251,909 Views | 1959 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ol_Ag_02
aTmAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Urban Ag said:

I will say this. As much as I love Rogue One, I literally put it in the top three with ESB and ANH, this is my one gripe that I have with it.

The battle scene in the streets of Jedha, IMO, is one of the best in the entire SW franchise. It has such a gritty, raw, feel to it. Amazingly filmed. But it has two flaws. First, Jyn kicks the sh** out of 5 or 6 Stormtroopers with what is the equivalent of a police baton. Second, the blind Asian guy kicks the sh** out of at least a dozen stormtroopers with his stick. I like both characters, I get they are both bad asses, but that was just way too overkill to the point of being silly. And that is what I loved so much about Rogue One is that like ESB and ANH, it one of only three SW films that didn't include any silliness.

In regards to Emilia Clarke's character and her martial arts capabilities, I really never even thought about it until I read aTm's posts, probably cause I hadn't had a Mother of Dragon's fix in a while.
I loved Rogue One as well. I loved the fact how there were no Jedi in it. The blind Asian guy was close... and that was the only bad part of the movie IMO.

In the old SW movies (and Rogue One) everything is a huge team effort. You don't have one Jedi with the power of 10,000 people. It's the same reason that most of the Superman movies are so lame nowadays. He's just too powerful to make it suspenseful.

In real life, if you put Bruce Lee, Mike Tyson, Connor McGregor, Mohammad Ali, etc. on one side of a battle, then it would make no difference. Karate is worthless against machine guns (or blasters). Yet in these movies, one karate stud is all it takes to turn an entire war.
Sex Panther
AG
aTmAg's war on karate in movies lives on
aTmAg
AG
Sex Panther said:

At least I'm consistent!

I also hate:
1) Walking away from explosions
2) Montages
3) deus ex machina endings (I didn't know the name for this... thanks nai06)
4) 3 point landings

(and more I can't think of now)
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
aTmAg said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Something tells me aTmAg isn't a fan of Bruce Lee movies.
Actually, I am a fan of Bruce Lee himself. I haven't watched many of his movies (since I was a kid), but back then it was fresh and new (at least in America). And also, it doesn't hurt that he himself could actually do that stuff. The same goes with Jackie Chan. The difference between the Americanized versions of Jackie Chan movies and his native ones is night and day. He performs ridiculous stunts himself that no other actor would dare to do, so he brings that to the table.

Meanwhile, we have walking dead where we are supposed to believe John Carroll Lynch is a karate master sensie:

Really?

That's the sort of thing that makes my eyes roll.

I blame this guy......

50+ years old, kinda pudgy, 5'3"....but karate master with catlike reflexes and can defeat 6 younger karate guys and one twice his size by honking his nose.

PS - I think you take movie fighting too seriously.

Sex Panther
AG
Hey man, I get it... I can't stand Brits who suck at American accents, and every time I point it out people act like I'm crazy. It's so obvious to me and no one else notices or cares. ALL THE PEOPLE IN THE MARVEL NETFLIX SHOWS ARE BAD AT IT.
aTmAg
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

aTmAg said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Actually, I am a fan of Bruce Lee himself. I haven't watched many of his movies (since I was a kid), but back then it was fresh and new (at least in America). And also, it doesn't hurt that he himself could actually do that stuff. The same goes with Jackie Chan. The difference between the Americanized versions of Jackie Chan movies and his native ones is night and day. He performs ridiculous stunts himself that no other actor would dare to do, so he brings that to the table.

Meanwhile, we have walking dead where we are supposed to believe John Carroll Lynch is a karate master sensie:

Really?

I blame this guy......

50+ years old, kinda pudgy, 5'3"....but karate master with catlike reflexes and can defeat 6 younger karate guys and one twice his size by honking his nose.

I agree that is cheesy in hindsight. Though as a kid, I loved that movie. If it came out now, I would probably bash it. I tend to give movies a pass if they are the first ones to do it. So I give Ghost in the Shell a pass on 3 point landings. But not the 10000 movies that have done it since. I'm not sure, but I think Rocky had the first montage, so I give that one a pass.

And it's not the fighting per se. It could be ESP and it would be equally cheesy. Eleven in Stranger Things is getting close to this. If season 3 consists of her walking around and solving everybody's problems by moving objects and breaking necks with her mind, then that will get lame real fast. It would get even more lame, if they introduce 10 more numbered characters and they have an X-men like mind "fight". Even if there was no karate or physical violence involved at all. But it's the same principle. Anybody can write a story like that.
aTmAg
AG
Sex Panther said:

Hey man, I get it... I can't stand Brits who suck at American accents, and every time I point it out people act like I'm crazy. It's so obvious to me and no one else notices or cares. ALL THE PEOPLE IN THE MARVEL NETFLIX SHOWS ARE BAD AT IT.
Ha.. I haven't noticed that one. But I will now. Thanks for that. I need more things to be picky about.

Another one I hate are the cut shots. Here is the worst one I can think of:

It's so bad that it's actually funny.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
aTmAg said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

aTmAg said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Really?

I blame this guy......

I agree that is cheesy in hindsight. Though as a kid, I loved that movie. If it came out now, I would probably bash it. I tend to give movies a pass if they are the first ones to do it. So I give Ghost in the Shell a pass on 3 point landings. But not the 10000 movies that have done it since. I'm not sure, but I think Rocky had the first montage, so I give that one a pass.

And it's not the fighting per se. It could be ESP and it would be equally cheesy. Eleven in Stranger Things is getting close to this. If season 3 consists of her walking around and solving everybody's problems by moving objects and breaking necks with her mind, then that will get lame real fast. It would get even more lame, if they introduce 10 more numbered characters and they have an X-men like mind "fight". Even if there was no karate or physical violence involved at all. But it's the same principle. Anybody can write a story like that.

I really don't care about your opinions on karate or 3 point landings. actually.....

I was not trying to start a discussion with you.

aTmAg
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

aTmAg said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

aTmAg said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Really?

I blame this guy......

I really don't care about your opinions on karate or 3 point landings. actually.....

I don't care what you care about. Your opinions are worthless.
c-jags
aTmAg said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

aTmAg said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

aTmAg said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Really?

I blame this guy......

are you the guy that said you don't like super hero movies because a guy being better or trying harder at karate shouldn't be what wins in the end?

i'm not knocking the statement, i agree with it to an extent, just trying to remember who that was.
Slicer97
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

double aught said:

Quote:

I think the only really named characters from the start of the film who lived were Upham (Jeremy Davies) and Reiben (Ed Burns).

My only complaint about the movie. I like Davies as an actor, but Uppham is one of the most loathsome characters in cinematic history.
FL_Ag1998
AG
aTmAg said:

Sex Panther said:

At least I'm consistent!

I also hate:
1) Walking away from explosions
2) Montages
3) deus ex machina endings (I didn't know the name for this... thanks nai06)
4) 3 point landings

(and more I can't think of now)

Hey, you're not alone. Everything you listed is such a cheesy cliche at this point, yet you still see movies do them.

And the karate argument? Totally agree. Apparently in every movie universe (Marvel, DC, Star Wars, countless one-off movies), every single person knows a hybrid mix of BJJ, taekwondo, etc. Just like the above list of annoyances, the martial arts fighting is lazy writing that's usually accompanied by lazy fight choreography and lazy cliche quick-cut choreography.
aTmAg
AG
c-jags said:

aTmAg said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

aTmAg said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

aTmAg said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Really?

I blame this guy......

are you the guy that said you don't like super hero movies because a guy being better or trying harder at karate shouldn't be what wins in the end?

i'm not knocking the statement, i agree with it to an extent, just trying to remember who that was.
Yeah that was me. (probably.. there might be others who agree)
jackie childs
man...you really gotta follow Star Wars threads on a daily basis or else you can get really lost
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Yes he is; however I've given him a lot of thought. I am sure amid all the thousands and thousands of heroic things that were done in war, there were many many spineless and despicable acts as well.

You rarely see those represented on film unless it's the enemy and/or someone who pays the price for their cowardice.

I give them a lot of credit for showing both in this film - he was not a combat soldier and was thrust into the worst situation really... and he was paralyzed with fear. The scene was brutal and gut wrenching and yet... I think realistic.

Really a difficult character of course but not without purpose - both as the translator and I think to represent our view as the spectator to the brutality and what a non heroic person might do.

But yeah..... I can understand despising Upham.

redline248
AG
Paging Alias or one of the other book/comic readers...

At what point after Maul gets his ass kicked by the emperor on Madalore does he come back and take over Crimson Dawn? My first reaction to seeing him at the end of Solo was "why can't they just leave him dead?"

...and I know at that point it time he is alive, thanks to Rebels, but Rebels handled him so well that they should have left him out of any of the "real" movies.
Flashdiaz
AG
redline248 said:

At what point after Maul gets his ass kicked by the emperor on Madalore does he come back and take over Crimson Dawn? My first reaction to seeing him at the end of Solo was "why can't they just leave him dead?"

...and I know at that point it time he is alive, thanks to Rebels, but Rebels handled him so well that they should have left him out of any of the "real" movies.

agree with this 100%. They introduced him now what? are they going to address him in the Solo sequel or Fett movie? Or maybe even the Kenobi movie, but if they do this, they'll have to recreate Rebels in live action. If they don't, the movies only fans will be wondering what happened to him.
The Collective
AG
redline248 said:

What do you mean why can't they just leave him dead? Sidious didn't kill him on Mandalore.
Urban Ag
AG
Flashdiaz said:

redline248 said:

agree with this 100%. They introduced him now what? are they going to address him in the Solo sequel or Fett movie? Or maybe even the Kenobi movie, but if they do this, they'll have to recreate Rebels in live action. If they don't, the movies only fans will be wondering what happened to him.
There's nothing about the current state of Lucasfilm that leads me to believe they have an answer to that. Forward planning hasn't proven to be a strong point. Having Maul show up was just so completely random and easy that I'd bet money it was done for nerd boners alone.
AliasMan02
AG
redline248 said:

I'm behind on comics but him running Crimson Dawn, specifically, is new canon. Previously he was running an alliance of criminal cartels and Mandalore called the Shadow Collective. He eventually lost Mandalore as well, concurrent with the end of RotS and Order 66.
The Collective
AG
I feel like Maul is one of those characters that Filoni probably has ownership over, so anything with him I assume has Filoni's stamp of approval. Because of that, I will trust whatever they are doing with Maul.
redline248
AG
CJS4715 said:

redline248 said:

What do you mean why can't they just leave him dead? Sidious didn't kill him on Mandalore.

I know that. But he was dead at the end of menace, and they brought him back. He (his story) is dead in rebels. That should have been the end of him, but no. They "brought him back" again. This time into the actual movies, making a lot of viewers say "wtf?"
Urban Ag
AG
Yeah my nine year old had a big wtf moment in the theatre.

Kid: wait, what? Daddy, that's Darth Maul.
Me: Yep. Cool huh?
Kid: No. No daddy. He got chopped in half remember? You can't come back from that.
Me: Well, he did.
Kid: (shaking head) that's just dumb
redline248
AG
AliasMan02 said:

redline248 said:

I'm behind on comics but him running Crimson Dawn, specifically, is new canon. Previously he was running an alliance of criminal cartels and Mandalore called the Shadow Collective. He eventually lost Mandalore as well, concurrent with the end of RotS and Order 66.
1. I know it's new canon b/c it was just in a movie, which is certainly canon. Or did you mean that was a unique reveal for Solo?
2. I know he lost Mandalore, b/c I watched him get his ass kicked by Palps in the clone wars (which I said in my post)

I guess my restated question is this: has it been revealed anywhere else in new canon how he became head of crimson dawn
The Collective
AG
No. Crimson Dawn was introduced in Solo.
redline248
AG
ok, thanks. Other than black sun, or whatever, I have paid zero attention to names of crime syndicates over the years.

Follow up question: what timeframe does the new Solo book(s?) cover relative to this movie?
AliasMan02
AG
redline248 said:

ok, thanks. Other than black sun, or whatever, I have paid zero attention to names of crime syndicates over the years.

Follow up question: what timeframe does the new Solo book(s?) cover relative to this movie?

Most Wanted is probably 3 years before the start of Solo. Han is about 18.

Last Shot covers a few time periods. The Lando story is before Solo. The Han story is after Solo but before ANH. The combined Lando/Han story is after 3 years after RotJ (after the Aftermath books).
exitone
AG
CJS4715 said:

I feel like Maul is one of those characters that Filoni probably has ownership over, so anything with him I assume has Filoni's stamp of approval. Because of that, I will trust whatever they are doing with Maul.
This.

Kennedy needs to be let go and Filoni need to run things. He has a long term vision and loves the content.
I'm sure Kennedy loves the content, but it hasnt shown. And her vision seems to be tied in more with dollars than conveying an actual story. Just my probably wrong harsh opinion.
One thing about Filoni though, his favorite character is Ahsoka. We know he has plans for her somewhere. And I have heard they are pushing more responsibility on him. So I would not be surprised if the intent was to reveal Maul in Solo, then continue the story in Boba Fett, and possibly reveal a much older Ahsoka and possibly Kenobi there.

aTmAg
AG
Since Solo is not doing well at the box office, is this whole story line with maul going to sorta just die?
The Collective
AG
aTmAg said:

Since Solo is not doing well at the box office, is this whole story line with maul going to sorta just die?

Probably, unless they want to tie it into Kenobi, which I think is full of problems. The best approach for Maul would be a live action TV series about the underworld.
aTmAg
AG
Is Ron Howard in the doghouse? Sounds to me like he did a good job on this. I wouldn't mind seeing him do more.
AliasMan02
AG
aTmAg said:

It wasn't necessarily a storyline even, but it's pretty fruitful storytelling ground if we see Qi'ra again.
tamusc
AG
aTmAg said:

Is Ron Howard in the doghouse? Sounds to me like he did a good job on this. I wouldn't mind seeing him do more.
Doubtful, the issues with the performance of this movie predate him even being involved in the project. Considering he reshot 70% of the movie less than a year out, it's pretty impressive what he was able to salvage, which ended up being a fun, entertaining movie that will likely make more money in digital sales later.
exitone
AG
aTmAg said:

I sure hope not. I thought it was a good movie. Its in my top 5, maybe 4. I really enjoyed it. And I hope Ron Howard isn't going to suffer from this (which I doubt he would), because I thought he told a really solid story. I could only imagine jumping into a mess and trying to salvage it.

I was thinking.... the only problem I had with the whole movie was how bad I thought the wookie looked that Chewbacca rescued at the mining complex. It looked really odd to me.
aTmAg
AG
exitone said:

aTmAg said:

I sure hope not. I thought it was a good movie. Its in my top 5, maybe 4. I really enjoyed it. And I hope Ron Howard isn't going to suffer from this (which I doubt he would), because I thought he told a really solid story. I could only imagine jumping into a mess and trying to salvage it.

I was thinking.... the only problem I had with the whole movie was how bad I thought the wookie looked that Chewbacca rescued at the mining complex. It looked really odd to me.
Despite the issues I brought up earlier, I thought it was a good movie. I like Ron Howard and hope he keeps making these movies. My order is the original 3 at the top, then Rogue One, then either this one or TLJ then TFA, then the prequels.

Besides the other issue, one that I didn't mention is that I can't see this actor as Han Solo. It's a tough spot to be in. If he tried to impersonate Harrison Ford, then that probably would have been worse. So honestly I can't put my finger on what didn't feel right about it.

Edit: BTW, I waited this long to watch it because I wanted to avoid the crowds. However, the theater was still packed and I had to sit in the front row. So maybe this movie has long legs via word of mouth. Who knows.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.