*** SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY ***

258,379 Views | 1959 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ol_Ag_02
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
what????

that would be really incredible... i mean nobody had to sit in the front row in any of the showings I went to. not even close.

opening weekend matinee - less than half full
midweek the next week matinee - about half full
second weekend evening - 1/3 full

where were you that it was full? and what time/day?

tamusc
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

what????

that would be really incredible... i mean nobody had to sit in the front row in any of the showings I went to. not even close.

The matinee show I went to on this past Saturday afternoon was completely full here in Austin.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
That's crazy..... that anyone has completely full shows anywhere.

Just running some numbers.

$10,000,000/3182 screens = $3142 per screen average.

$3142 / $9.16 avg. ticket price = 343 people over the entire weekend on each screen average.

If we assume 12 showings per screen over the weekend thats 28 people on average per screen per showing.

what size screens are you seeing these on? Or are these remote areas and only one screen is playing it anywhere?

I'm sure some showings are 2x or 3x that but still would not fill 100 seat screens. And others are half or less that so barely anyone there. If they are all recliner small theaters that hold 50 people maybe a nearly full showing here or there?

Just compared to it's own opening weekend of $103M/4381 theaters = $23,510 per screen and with 12 showings thats an average of 213 people per screen per showing. that's like 7-8x the current average.

tamusc
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Ha, you don't have to believe me if you don't want to. It was the Alamo Drafthouse Village. My dad decided he wanted to go see it for Father's Day, so we decided to get tickets at the last minute and all that was left were a few on the front row and two halfway up against the wall.

Trust me when I say that my dad hates sitting in either of those locations and I got to listen to him ***** about it. I would not have done that to myself if I had another option, lol.
The Collective
AG
I haven't gone a second time yet. I realize that I am running out of time, but just can't find a time that works.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
I guess people really wanted to cool off and have a brew while watching a movie.

Alamo's are much smaller capacity typically.... making money on food and drinks.

Even so it's pretty shocking that any showings were nearly full. Given the reports of sometimes half empty theaters for opening weekend. And they've only removed about 1/4 of the screens it was showing on and yet it has 1/10th the revenue.

tamusc
AG
Yeah, Village is definitely one of the smaller Alamo locations, but it was still a decent sized theater (for Alamo).

I was just as shocked as anyone that it was full.
aTmAg
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

what????

I saw it on Saturday at 1:20 in Fort Worth (at the RAVE, which I think is the largest theater in FW, but I'm not sure. I like the reclining seats).
Belton Ag
AG
It wasn't Solo, but I saw Avengers on Saturday and the theater was packed. If I hadn't bought my tickets on Fandango earlier that morning I wouldn't have been able to see it.

Maybe there was something about this past weekend that pushed people to the theaters.
bearamedic99
AG
I saw it today for the first time. I put it off partly because of no babysitter and partly because of TFA & TLJ. I was one of nine in the theater.

It was okay. Not good, not bad. I had very low expectations for this and the first part of the movie did nothing for me until he hooked up with Chewie. The car/speeder chase felt dumb and much lower speed than the craft name led me to believe. The snow world was okay but Corellia sucked. The desert planet and mining planet were not bad but the only good visuals were during Kessel run. Why did they feel the need to include a tentacle monster? especially one with poor dexterity and coordination? Did they not listen to Kevin Smith's rant about studios making a Supes film?

Glover was great as Lando. I-can't-say-his-name was decent as baby Han; not so much to start but he definitely grew on me. I never saw anything pointing at Lando being pan-sexual. The droid was odd, maybe a bit too colorful. Bettany was great as always, so was Woody. Khaleesi was okay. I'm not a huge fan of her so I'm trying not to let that bias me. She just did not seem cold enough to be a syndicate Lt, let alone a badass. Also, I recognized but couldn't place Favreau as the voice of Artie but he did well.

Why was Buzz Lightyear st the first sabacc game? has that been discussed?

The Maul reveal had been spoiled for me and seemed like not a big deal. His lightsaber use across a hologram seemed over the top.

The best part of the movie was the music with hints of previous music played throughout. The falcon was the other great part. Seeing it newer and nicer before Han got ahold of it was nice. I enjoyed seeing the hologram chess game aboard the MF. heh, its initials are MF.

I did not like the brief Wookie cameo on Kessel. Why wouldn't Chewie steer them towards the MF?

This was essentially a heist movie but the train job, the mine robbery, and the last twists of who is betraying who all seemed too neat and wrapped up with little prep and explanation.

Did anyone else think that they protrayed Han as not just naive but also a bit dumb in this movie? Woody, Thandie, and others paint his as naive but the movie also seems to make Han look dumb at times. It did not detract from the movie for me but it just seemed odd.

Some of the stuff I did not like (besides everything before Chewie) included the diet stormtrooper scouts that Han was in when he met everyone. Why would the empire have these troops and stormtroopers? plus it's a peeve of mine when the lead character does mot look the role so they are more recognizable i.e. JLaw as Mystique without being blue, Chris Evans in IW without the Cap cowl, etc and couldn't they have had an idea of how to make Han distinguishable to the audience while leaving his mask on, such as when Finn was smeared with blood? He lost his mask in the battle and never replaced it after the battle.

Props for including Willow in the movie and showing his face. How old is that dude anyway?

that's all for now. what easter eggs did i miss in the movie?
Ulrich
Quote:

Did anyone else think that they protrayed Han as not just naive but also a bit dumb in this movie? Woody, Thandie, and others paint his as naive but the movie also seems to make Han look dumb at times. It did not detract from the movie for me but it just seemed odd.

He's not exactly brilliant 20 years later in the OT, either. A lot of bluff and luck. Not that he never has a good idea, but he definitely bumbles from time to time.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Champ Bailey said:

Well yeah, but it's the only fight you will ever see the Emperor in before he's all butt-foreheaded.

Is this is Clone Wars?

Yes.
jokershady
AG
Out on digital now. Watched it with the family this past weekend (they hadn't seen it).

Have to say I enjoyed it a lot more 2nd time around. Knowing what was coming it was easier to pay attention to the little aspects of the dialogue and got a lot more enjoyment out of it. Definitely got a kick out of the ending a lot more (from landing at the beach refinery all the way until the final scene before credits).

Give it another go now that it's out.
SeattleAgJr
If is definitely better once you go in with lower expectations, but it still pissed me off that they pretty much crammed everything that defines Han into this one movie.

1. Kessel Run
2. Jacket
3. Winning the Falcon
4. Chewie's name
5. Dice
6. Reference to Jabba
etc.

So we can assume Han did nothing of note between the events of this movie and ANH.
TCTTS
AG
No, we can't assume that. Just because those were the things highlighted/mentioned in the relatively brief times we were with him in the OT (it was really just a few days) doesn't mean he didn't do a bunch of other fun/cool/memorable stuff before we met him.
Flashdiaz
AG
too bad the movie tanked in the box office, i'd like to see a sequel or two that goes more into the criminal underground and the various jobs he did for Jabba. Even sets it up nice for a mafia type movie with Jabba, Han, Lando and Boba Fett on one side against Maul and his crew. And sprinkle in some Bossk, IG-88 and explain how that other bounty hunter got bandages on his head
TCTTS
AG
I've seen a few people say there's still hope if Blu-ray/streaming numbers are high. I do think a ton of people are going to discover/appreciate this movie at home who didn't in the theater. Whether that's enough to actually warrant sequel, I doubt it, but who knows...
Jim01
AG
Agreed. I think the further away we get and it gets time and space from TLJ it will stand on it's own and be appreciated. Would love to see a sequel for sure.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Flashdiaz said:

too bad the movie tanked in the box office, i'd like to see a sequel or two that goes more into the criminal underground and the various jobs he did for Jabba. Even sets it up nice for a mafia type movie with Jabba, Han, Lando and Boba Fett on one side against Maul and his crew. And sprinkle in some Bossk, IG-88 and explain how that other bounty hunter got bandages on his head

I'm not sure I'd say tanked. But yeah it didn't do great. $392 million WW.

Sequels have been made for movies that got smaller box office results though.

With IX more than a year away if it finishes the 9-ology strong... then there may start some pent up demand. And if Solo does well in DVD, rentals, digital, etc...

I'm still hopeful.

Urban Ag
AG
Still can't believe they didn't push this back to Dec.
Flashdiaz
AG
then there's the Disney subscription offering.... they've already opened up their pocketbooks for Favreau, maybe they'll make a Solo movie for on-demand.
TCTTS
AG
Now that Disney's full trailer for Mary Poppins Returns (12/19) just dropped, I understand why. That movie is going to be massive, and I just can't see it being released any other time of year.
TCTTS
AG
That's a great point. I keep forgetting about the streaming options.
spanky
AG
Finally watched this yesterday, and it was even worse than my already really really low expectations
AliasMan02
AG
I don't understand how anyone can watch this movie and not have fun. The fun level makes up for some minor gripes I have in a huge way.

Edit: previously said "funny level" and that is also true, I guess. Definitely had humor.
mslags97
AG
AliasMan02 said:

I don't understand how anyone can watch this movie and not have fun. The funny level makes up for some minor gripes I have in a huge way.

Right there with you. I like it more every time I watch it.
spanky
AG
I have fun while watching The Room. Doesn't change the fact it is a bad movie
PatAg
AG
I forget what the consensus was, but I thought Paul Bettany was a great villain in terms of his actual performance. He's just so great at subtle menace, imo.
jokershady
AG
I agree!

But personally I'll always remember him first from A Knight's Tale

M.C. Swag
AG
rented this movie on a rainy afternoon watch...woof.

Worst star wars movie by far. It made no sense. the dialogue was sooooo cringey and cliched.

the bar scene on corellia (i think?) was the most awkward moment in cinema history (where the aliens are singing and Han just kinda bumps into Qi'ra)....until the 'rights for robots' stupid-fest....which was somehow trumped by the fact that Lando was in love with an actual robot. i was laughing out loud watching donald glover try his best to act mournfully over a robot he apparently had sex with.

also, i was distracted the entire time by fake Han and fake Lando attempting to imitate other actors playing those roles.

the whole movie felt like it lasted 4 hours to tell a story where nothing really makes sense. I feel bad for ron howard. this movie was a complete cluster.
twilly
AG
Uh, Disney...

I know your embarrassed about SOLO under performing at the box office...but no excuse to forget sending stuff in for noms.

'Solo' Score Disqualified From the Oscars Because Someone Forgot to Submit It

COME'ON MAN!
Ol_Ag_02
AG
I'm admittedly not a big star wars fan. But I did really enjoy the Last Jedi and Rouge One. But I tried watching this last night and it is just a bad movie. It's tedious and just seems to drag from scene to scene. The weird L3 robot with her women's suffrage bit was eye-roll inducing. The alien pilot voice by John Favreau has cringe worthy lines, and the prison break scene where they were trying to steal the fuel stuff just went on forever. That's the last scene I saw, turned it off.

Maybe Star Wars just isn't for me.
The Collective
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

You liked Rogue One & The Last Jedi, so it seems like some of SW is for you.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

I'm admittedly not a big star wars fan. But I did really enjoy the Last Jedi and Rouge One. But I tried watching this last night and it is just a bad movie. It's tedious and just seems to drag from scene to scene. The weird L3 robot with her women's suffrage bit was eye-roll inducing. The alien pilot voice by John Favreau has cringe worthy lines, and the prison break scene where they were trying to steal the fuel stuff just went on forever. That's the last scene I saw, turned it off.

These are some seriously hot takes on a thread that hadn't had a post in 8 months.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.