*** SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY ***

255,605 Views | 1959 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ol_Ag_02
Atreides Ornithopter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I thought someone discussed that a few pages back about "short stories"

Now that I have seen Solo, my idea for the Obi-Wan movie is that it opens with Obi-wan hearing the sand people attacking Luke and the droids. As he walks toward them he starts to flashback to different this about his life on Tatooinee, ie how I got here. one of them basically a live action of the Rebels scene.
The Collective
AG
So, I'm lost. Are we supposed to be doing spoiler tags here or what?
The Collective
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I have the same question. You have to assume that 90% of viewers will not have seen Rebels (including myself), so I wonder how they'll do that.

How have you not watched this yet? No Disney sub?
TCTTS
AG
CJS4715 said:

I've given up. Seems at this point people are getting more pissed at being asked to spoiler tags than the people who haven't seen the movie yet.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I think the idea of using Maul is either to tell you to go watch the cartoons, or at least read Wikipedia, or hey, tough **** for you! If you don't know who/why Maul is there, it's not Ron Howard's job to hold your hand and say "here is his whole story!"

There are lots of parts of Game of Thrones and the LOTR trilogy that weren't immediately understandable to a mass audience unless you had read the books. SO people read the books or looked on the Internet.

Maul is an inspired choice for my money. The only time I've been that surrprised in a SW movie like that was when Rey picked up Luke's lightsaber and had the vision starting with the Cloud City shoutout.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brennus said:

I thought someone discussed that a few pages back about "short stories"

Now that I have seen Solo, my idea for the Obi-Wan movie is that it opens with Obi-wan hearing the sand people attacking Luke and the droids. As he walks toward them he starts to flashback to different this about his life on Tatooinee, ie how I got here. one of them basically a live action of the Rebels scene.
Can the soundtrack to Green Day's "Boulevard of Broken Dreams' for this?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

CJS4715 said:

I've given up. Seems at this point people are getting more pissed at being asked to spoiler tags than the people who haven't seen the movie yet.
Can we go ahead and agree on a standard protocol going forward? Because I guess the main thread and spoilers thread is not it?
AliasMan02
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

I think the idea of using Maul is either to tell you to go watch the cartoons, or at least read Wikipedia, or hey, tough **** for you! If you don't know who/why Maul is there, it's not Ron Howard's job to hold your hand and say "here is his whole story!"

This attitude of not explaining everything is a hallmark of great world building. It's also something that Filoni espouses a LOT.
TCTTS
AG

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
"I've just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the Senate permanently."

And that was all we got for three movies / 20 years.
twilly
AG
Maybe the biz guys on here can answer this but doesn't it seem likely that the ad budget was raided to help offset the costs of reshoots?

Seems like in other businesses, when manufacturing goes over budget, they skim the other expense buckets to offset cost.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I absolutely think the marketing budget was modest at best compared to the previous movies. Hence my theory that they must have at least had some vague ideas that this one might not do great box office, especially overseas.
jackie childs
TCTTS said:

CJS4715 said:

it wouldn't be a star wars thread if people weren't pissed about something
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

TCTTS said:

CJS4715 said:

Can we go ahead and agree on a standard protocol going forward? Because I guess the main thread and spoilers thread is not it?
We've done it so many ways, I don't know what to do anymore. It used to be that for any big movie, hardly any discussion was in the main Star Wars/Marvel thread, and then we had the main movie/individual thread for non-spoiler discussion, followed by a dedicated spoiler thread properly marked, one that didn't require spoiler tags. But I agreed that three threads was a little much, so we then tried going with vague discussion in the SW/Marvel threads, followed by spoiler tags in the main/solo movie thread, but people have recently stopped adhering to even those rules and are getting upset when people call them out for not using spoiler tags.

Honestly, my vote would be to just go back to the old model. Something like this...

- We have the main Star Wars / Marvel threads for all general and future movie talk.

- But once an individual movie gets a trailer or some other significant casting announcement or news, we create an individual thread for that particular movie, basically like we've always had.

- Then, that thread essentially lasts until the day the movie comes out, and can be reserved for vague/general reactions after, but we create a new, individual spoiler thread the week of the movie's release.

Yes, it's a little excessive, but to me it's the only fool-proof way of getting around spoilers, and seemed to work very well in the past.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
To me, it seems excessive. But I'm down if that's what everyone else wants.

I think the real issue is that for these big movies, a lot of posters who don't come to this board often, come into the threads and will post spoilers without knowing the rules. That's where I think a dedicated movie (but non-spoilers) thread, would become dangerous and likely confusing. This created a lot of havoc during TLJ.
Wheatables02
AG
Quote:

Went to see Solo Sunday night. The most spoiler-free I've been for a SW film since Return of the Jedi.

Really enjoyed it. My bar-none favorite moment was the cut back to Lando in the cockpit during the raid on Kessel when he's video recording himself. Classic Lando.

I really appreciate that this film was made by a lot of people who clearly love Star Wars and respect the whole pantheon of the franchise, not just the movies. I"m sure easter eggs and such have already been discussed, but thought I"d toss out some of my favorite.

1. Han & Quira going to the Coronet spaceport - Coronet being Corellia's capitol and a city heavily featured in Star Wars Galaxies - the greatest timewaster of my entire life.
2. The Imperial academy being on Carida, much as it is in the "Legends" when Han is young.
3. The Bossk reference.
4. Tobias killed Aura Sing! Fantastic hardcore fan drop-in.
5. Everything about the Kessel Run including the Maw brought over from another title.
6. The Xi sisters reference
7. The Mandalorian combat armor in Dryden Vos' yacht
8. Clint Howard
9. Actual aliens from the OT/PT showing up, like the Rodian
10. Beckett using Lando's future skiff guard costume.
11. Quira using Teras Kasi on Kessell
12. the guy from Rogue One being part of the Marauders' crew
13. The red guy with the horns ... I know him from somewhere.

14. WILLOW, also from Ep 1.
twilly
AG
If Lucasfilm is going to do more movies, books, TV, etc concerning the crime syndicates, then a Hondo Onaka appearance should be in the mix. I'd love to see that character fleshed out on the big screen. Not as a standalone, just as a supporting role.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's a deep cut. Good on you, had to google.
fig96
AG
CJS4715 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I have the same question. You have to assume that 90% of viewers will not have seen Rebels (including myself), so I wonder how they'll do that.

How have you not watched this yet? No Disney sub?
Unless things have changed a Disney sub doesn't let you watch the entire series, just the last season. I wanted to watch but was never able to catch up on the early eps I missed.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
How about a rule that you can't post unless your post includes a spoiler
TCTTS
AG
The problem is having any rules at all because only a fraction of people see them. That's why I think a clear "SPOILER THREAD" route is the way to go.
The Collective
AG
I didn't realize that. My son and I re-watched seasons 1-3 on the disney app before the final season of Rebels. Maybe they put them up for a limited time in advance of season 4.
Ulrich
You can post spoilers but only if you liked the movie and the spoiler is a reference to pre-existing canon and it has been more than 96 hours from the first showing in Spokane Washington. Simple!
The Collective
AG
twilly said:

Maybe the biz guys on here can answer this but doesn't it seem likely that the ad budget was raided to help offset the costs of reshoots?

Seems like in other businesses, when manufacturing goes over budget, they skim the other expense buckets to offset cost.

It was definitely reduced. You couldn't turn on the TV in the weeks leading into TLJ without seeing a TV spot. I saw that damn clip of Rey igniting Kylo's lightsaber, thanks to their never-ending need to release footage.

In the trailers for Solo, my biggest complaint is that they held Alden back somewhat. I would have had him talking more - he was great.
fig96
AG
CJS4715 said:

I didn't realize that. My son and I re-watched seasons 1-3 on the disney app before the final season of Rebels. Maybe they put them up for a limited time in advance of season 4.
I need to check and see if they're up, I've only seen some of the first season and would love to watch.

Dro07
AG
disney app is only showing complete season 4 but nothing else.
fig96
AG
Booo...

But thanks for checking.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just for the sake of comparison..

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
But here's a much more meaningful comparison, and probably good guideposts for how this movie might do.

TXAG 05
AG
Rebels is great, recommend it to anyone who is a Star Wars fan. It actually feels like Star Wars but it's a completely new story, with new characters, although some familiar faces pop in every now and then. Don't think that because it's a Disney cartoon that it is strictly a kids show. I've been missing it since the finale.
Malachi Constant
AG
AliasMan02
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

Rebels is great, recommend it to anyone who is a Star Wars fan. It actually feels like Star Wars but it's a completely new story, with new characters, although some familiar faces pop in every now and then. Don't think that because it's a Disney cartoon that it is strictly a kids show. I've been missing it since the finale.

I think it's pretty much exactly how you'll be able to describe the new trilogies.
fig96
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

But here's a much more meaningful comparison, and probably good guideposts for how this movie might do.

I'm really surprised by the lack of international box office. Has there been any discussion/theory for that?
Flashdiaz
AG
fig96 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'm really surprised by the lack of international box office. Has there been any discussion/theory for that?
Transformers Movies are successful because of international markets... that should tell you something.
FTACO97
AG
TCTTS said:

01. The Empire Strikes Back
02. A New Hope
03. Solo: A Star Wars Story
04. Rogue One
05. Return of the Jedi
06. The Force Awakens
07. The Last Jedi
08. The Phantom Menace
09. Revenge of the Sith
10. Attack of the Clones

Someone please tell me... how is EVERYONE not hyped on this movie???

Because holy hell that was fantastic.

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm pretty sure I now love the world of Star Wars more than I do Jedis and the Force and lightsabers. Give me this and Rogue One over TFA and TLJ all day long. Just keep the spin-offs coming... Solo 2, Obi-Wan, Boba Fett... whatever they've got coming down the pike, I'm there.

Seriously, the characters, the pacing, the twists, the turns, the sets, the cinemetography, the air-tightness of the script, the winks, the nods, the set ups, the payoffs... all of it was pitch perfect.

I truly do not understand how this is getting mediocre reviews. It's so... damn... fun. With great action. And it looks gorgeous. What's not to like? Even act one, which so many people are saying is clunky, was awesome. Losing the girl in the way he did, joining the Empire to get out of a pinch, Han's eagerness to be part of Beckett's crew, meeting Chewie (which was PERFECT)... I loved it all and every second of it served to anchor everything to come in just the right way.

I'm honestly at a loss. How is this not good enough for some people? Because this is how it's done. With just the right amount of humor, heart, and emotion, with an ending that so brilliantly calls back and ties up every last beat in thrilling, spot-on fashion.

Just... wow.

Give me Solo 2 now, please.

Just now reading through the thread as I just got out of the movie. This post needs the ability to add many more stars.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.