*** SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY ***

258,378 Views | 1959 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ol_Ag_02
3rd and 2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Champ Bailey said:

I think they were trying to say that Lando was attracted to his droid.

Then of course everyone freaked out, drummed up the most radical possible scenario, and propagated that Lando was a flaming gay social justice warrior.

Yes! From all the internet commentary I was expecting a ton of SJW crap, but never saw any.
SeattleAgJr
The observation of Lando's sexuality and droid-gate was direct from the movie's writer.

The internet just repeated it.

They did not invent it out of the air.
Ag Since 83
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

I think the talking about this in the media/online forum (from both liberals and conservatives) will be 100x more annoying than whatever is actually in the movie, like Sulu being gay in Star Trek Beyond and LeFou being gay in Beauty and the Beast

Like I said...
Ag Since 83
AG
I guess that makes sense
SpreadsheetAg
AG
There's going to be some pimp-ass little Landos walking around this Halloween.
MaroonStain
AG
Sounds like the bear "raping" Leonard in The Revenant....bunch of online BS...
Saxsoon
AG
CJS4715 said:

For me, it's getting harder to rank the films, because I have a different expectation for the saga than I do these spin off movies. I'll have to think about it, but there is no way I'd put this ahead of Rogue One.

This movie was fun at times, but I just couldn't stay engaged. I disliked every bit of Corellia from the alien boss to the point we get to Han's surname (massive cringe). Once Chewie shows up, it started to hit its stride for me. I'll post more later, but I'd say 6/10.

I do really like Maul, so I'm intrigued by that, but I'm actually apprehensive of the films screwing him up... he would be a great character for live action TV, and I hope that's where they go with it. Also, buddy texted me last night and said there was some "duel of the fates" played. Did I miss it?

Just a little theme which for me made it all worth it
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Tracking is dropping like a lead balloon. Down to $105-$115M for the 4-day weekend.

http://deadline.com/2018/05/solo-a-star-wars-weekend-box-office-1202397848/
The Collective
AG
Interesting. Memorial Day openings are tricky from what I've read though. Those early projections of it with huge #s were apparently part of the studio propaganda hype train.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I wouldn't thinks so, studios are usually really conservative for this very reason.
SeattleAgJr
This one was always going to be iffy.

1. Starting off replacing a well-loved actor/character with someone who does not look like the original
2. The ongoing news of the production issues adding a wet blanket to the pre-release hype
3. The controversy after TLJ
4. Still competing with a Infinity War and Deadpool for box office
5. over a holiday weekend

Box office could go either way based on word of mouth. With the WOM being somewhat tepid, a lower haul is not surprising.

TCTTS
AG
My theater last night - first showing opening night in a popular LA theater - was maybe only 2/3 full. Kind of discouraging. Again, though, after the holiday I think it'll have legs for at least a couple more weekends.
SeattleAgJr
reddit thread was reporting lots of non-sell outs all over the country .

Only the big metros were having any sellouts and that was even limited to certain theaters.

Farmer1906
AG
I think word of mouth will make this stay #1 for a few weekends until Incredibles 2 (6/15) and Jurassic World 2 (6/22).
TCTTS
AG
That's what I'm thinking. No way it's not number one next weekend. Might get some competition from Ocean's 8 the next weekend though.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah, looks like they hit a bit of a sweet spot as far as little competition for a few weeks. Hopefully that will help.

Anything over $300M domestic would be win at this point, IMO.
The Collective
AG
See, I thought they should have flip flopped Solo and IW, but thinking it through now, they did the right thing to maximize both properties.
twilly
AG
Just got my copy of The Art of Solo book. Still hadn't gotten through it entirely but it has some pretty cool visuals.

What I found interesting was the early design artwork for the Falcon's paint scheme.

Breaker breaker Mr. Space Bandit!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Collective
AG
Is the second one a copy of the tat that covers L-3's lower back circuit boards?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Is there a streaming service to watch Rebels?
The Collective
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Is there a streaming service to watch Rebels?

I think they are available on the Disney TV app (Disney Now maybe), but you are going to need access to that through a subscription TV service.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Lame.
wangus12
AG
You can always find shows if you're willing to break the rules
TCTTS
AG
For the sake of conversation, as to not hype this thing sky high (any more than I already have), I'll cop to a couple small quibbles...

- Han getting the "Solo" monicker in that manner was indeed kind of dumb. Though, the audience I saw it with seemed to like it and I didn't really mind it at all in the moment. I chuckled. What bugged me was that he first said he didn't have a clan but then later talked about his dad, which implies he had a clan and would have at least been born with a last name. I'm sure there's some kind explanation but either it way I agree that it felt forced.

- You'd think that with all that tech, droids would have back up copies of their software/personalities/drives if not in some kind of cloud, on board their ship. L3's death felt forced in that sense and it was odd to me that if a droid "dies" like that they're really dead. I mean, in 2018, in THIS galaxy, if I dropped my computer out of a window I wouldn't lose any info whatsoever. Granted, I'm not planet hoping, and only have to worry about one cloud on one planet, but you can bet I'd at least back my droid's consciousness up in whatever ship owned.

Other than those two incredibly minor issues, I seriously can't think of another complaint. And I'm literally trying to. Honestly, the more I sit with this movie, the more I love it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I have to say that I'm also liking the movie the more I sit with it. The biggest issue for me was the pacing, which I'm sure will be less and less noticeable with each subsequent viewing.

As I said, the perfomances were all great, and Glover in particular was pitch perfect.

Really hoping that the excitement for this one continues to build and helps the box office, because I'd hate to see them stop taking risks with these spinoffs.
SeattleAgJr
https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comments/8m4ip9/when_you_see_people_trying_to_boycott_your_dads/
MandoArms
Just got out. It was awesome. Will have to see it again. Pleasantly surprised. Loved all the characters.
IG: mando_arms
Farmer1906
AG
L3 spoiler, I guess.
I would fret too much about L3. She's alive and well in Last Shot which partially takes place after RotJ.
Ambres
AG
I really like the new characters.

Woody killed it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Apparently Harrison Ford raved about Alden to Ron Howard.

And Ron says he's NEVER "effusive", so that's pretty awesome.
lurker76
We saw the 12:30 showing at the Grand Parkway Regal on 99. When we bought the tickets Monday, I was surprised at the number of open seats in the VIP section upstairs, but the downstairs was sold out. Sitting in the theater, it looked like the VIP was 40-50% sold.

As to the movie, I loved it. No stupid Mary Poppins Leia, no ridiculous puffins that cry when Chewie chows down on a couple, or any of the other nonsense that the main stories have drifted off into. I never liked the Wookies, really detested Jar Jar and the pre-quels and feel the whole franchise was failing. I did like TFA and TLJ, but there were weaknesses in both. R1 and Solo really felt better and I'm hopeful that the non-saga movies continue.

I agree with TCTTS as to how great this movie is. I'll buy it as soon as it is available and watch it several times to catch all of the nods to the OT.

After 40 years of watching Star Wars (no Clone Wars though), this movie ties so much together. Learning how Chewie, Han and Lando meet and develop as partners and friends was great, as was the early Falcon. There is so much more that can be developed, and I'm looking forward to more of the story.
Madmarttigan
AG
So is the horrible audience score on RT just leftover backlash from TLJ? Seems like a lot of positivity on this board.
Bruce Almighty
AG
tv1113 said:

So is the horrible audience score on RT just leftover backlash from TLJ? Seems like a lot of positivity on this board.

These fanboy movies bring out the trolls. Audience score isn't always reliable.
jokershady
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Farmer1906 said:

Is Kira going to be a force user?
What would make you think that?
I feel she already is. Just not very adept at it.

Remember the scene where she is going to negotiate with that weird box eye looking thing....the door shuts and you don't see what she does, but you see L3 react like, "WOAH" and making a comment about how she did whatever it was she did.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.