*** SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY ***

255,323 Views | 1959 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ol_Ag_02
twilly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Any recommendations from anyone as far as premium showings? IMAX, 3D, Dolby, etc?
Saw it in 3D last night. Nothing special there.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
When Han was in Corellia and saw that Imperial propaganda, did anyone catch the Imperial March (in a major key)?

That was a cool touch.
MrPlow2010
AG
Spoilers.

I was kind of hoping for a better payoff for the others pirate people. I wanted then to actually be bad but I understand how they wanted to reference the rebels.

Can those speeder bikes fly in space that the pirates have? Cuz they were on the ice planet with them and then the desert planet and they were loading up the hyperfuel like they could just fly away
The Collective
AG
For me, it's getting harder to rank the films, because I have a different expectation for the saga than I do these spin off movies. I'll have to think about it, but there is no way I'd put this ahead of Rogue One.

This movie was fun at times, but I just couldn't stay engaged. I disliked every bit of Corellia from the alien boss to the point we get to Han's surname (massive cringe). Once Chewie shows up, it started to hit its stride for me. I'll post more later, but I'd say 6/10.

I do really like Maul, so I'm intrigued by that, but I'm actually apprehensive of the films screwing him up... he would be a great character for live action TV, and I hope that's where they go with it. Also, buddy texted me last night and said there was some "duel of the fates" played. Did I miss it?
The Collective
AG
And, do we have a planet list from this movie?

I really liked the way they did the opening "crawl".
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
DOTF played when Maul was on screen, for just a few seconds. Just the opening trumpets though.

I have to say that Maul igniting the lightsaber was a bit much for me. Way too on-the-nose and unnecessary, clearly just put in for the sake of having a lightsaber in the movie. (And I'm probably the biggest TPM fanboy on this board.)

Similarly, I also disliked how Han got his last name. That was just dumb.
The Collective
AG
Man, I missed it. I was in too much shock!

Maul reveal was right up there with Vader hallway scene for me. Not as epic obviously, but it's all I could think about for about the next 3 hours.
MrPlow2010
AG
I loved how they uploaded L3 into the falcon. I believe in Empire C3PO said that the ship had the most peculiar dialect and knew to communicate.
The Collective
AG
Nice catch. I hated L3 though; now when I watch Empire I will be hoping for the asteroid field to win.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Now Lucas will add a new scene to ESB where Han catches Lando making sweet love to the Falcon.
boogieman
AG
What R2 does takes on a whole new meaning.

TCTTS
AG
Man, I thought L3 was the best droid of the entire franchise. She was hilarious and I was legit upset when she died.
MrPlow2010
AG
I hated L3 too. I felt like that one guy on that episode of silicon valley who was like "dude definitely f***s the robot right?"
twilly
AG
boogieman said:

Oh it works!
Farmer1906
AG
L3 was more annoying than anything. She's no L-2SO.
TCTTS
AG
Urban Ag said:

TCTTS said:

No one is more shocked than me.
I bet your early flight this morning sucked. lol

Worth it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Farmer1906 said:

L3 was more annoying than anything. She's no L-2SO.
This. K-2SO was much better.
TCTTS
AG
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills, re: L3. What about her did you guys not like? I thought she was the liveliest, funniest droid yet.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I find this post vague and unconvincing.
The Collective
AG
It'd be easier for me to list what I liked about L3. See below:

Jim01
AG
I liked her for sure but enjoyed the droid from Rogue One better.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
But seriously, she was probably TOO lively. It felt like they tried too hard to make her funny and human, to the point where she didn't even feel like a droid really.

The big reason K-2SO is so great (for me anyway) is how cold / droid-like he can be while still being funny.
The Collective
AG
boogieman said:

Doesn't R2 go flying backward after fixing the falcon? Droidgasm!
TCTTS
nai06
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

But seriously, she was probably TOO lively. It felt like they tried too hard to make her funny and human, to the point where she didn't even feel like a droid really.

The big reason K-2SO is so great (for me anyway) is how cold / droid-like he can be while still being funny.

I think that was done to make the death scene with lando more impactful
Farmer1906
AG
TCTTS said:

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills, re: L3. What about her did you guys not like? I thought she was the liveliest, funniest droid yet.
If Rosie ODonnell was a droid she'd be L3.

She was much better done in the Last Shot novel.
Farmer1906
AG
So the Audience Score for Solo is 55%.

What the damn hell?
The Collective
AG
Disney SW is never going to get a decent RT audience score again.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Lol, audience score on RT is at 56%.

Looks like the trolls are back in force.

It's pretty pathetic that people have this vendetta against the entire Disney regime of Star Wars.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/solo_a_star_wars_story/reviews/?type=user

Yep; lots of reviews of people who haven't even seen it or are not planning to for whatever reason. Lots of sour grapes about TLJ still. I am not a fan of TLJ, but I can give Solo a chance to entertain me before I even post about it... losers.
TCTTS
AG
I find it hard to believe you have any idea what Rosie O'Donnel sounds like if you're comparing her to L3.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
twilly said:

I bought the soundtrack right before I went to bed last night. Listened to it on the way into work this morning. I am loving this music! I came out of the theater last night feeling good about the movie, but not great. Listening to the score this morning I completely changed my mind. I could feel my pulse rising and lowering during the Kessel Run music. Also through the Corellia chase. The choral elements also bring some power the the music. Hearing the music and then re-visualizing the scenes...made it truly feel like a Star Wars movie!

Somebody said it earlier, but the lackluster feeling I had from TLJ totally put a damper on my general feeling for Star Wars overall. Main reason I didn't feel any of the hype to this movie, and IMO a main reason the crowds were lower this time. But I'm feeling high about Star Wars right now! I've got a good feeling about this.
http://variety.com/2018/music/news/solo-a-star-wars-story-john-powell-score-john-williams-1202821271/

I-tunes previews:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/solo-a-star-wars-story-original-motion-picture-soundtrack/1385167706?ign-mpt=uo%3D2

Sounds really good so far (haven't seen movie yet)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Basically, don't even pay attention to Star Wars user scores anymore. Trolls have taken them over.

First it was because they cast a black stormtrooper. Then it was the "SJW" patrol. I don't know what the latest pitchfork army is even yelling about these days, but basically, don't worry about those scores.

It's a small group of people, but they care enough to do this type of *****
The Collective
AG
I said this during trailers, but L3 actually sounded a lot like Phasma. I can't take credit, maybe Jeremy Jahns pointed it out?

Another nice touch in this film is showing how the rebel groups are not perfect. They are thieves, murderers, etc.
TCTTS
AG
Good call. She sounded identical to Phasma.
twilly
AG
CJS4715 said:

I said this during trailers, but L3 actually sounded a lot like Phasma.

Another nice touch in this film is showing how the rebel groups are not perfect. They are thieves, murderers, etc.
As we were walking out of the theater last night, my wife said, "I thought using Gwendoline Christie as L3's voice was a nice touch."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.