*** SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY ***

258,475 Views | 1959 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ol_Ag_02
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Beat40
These threads are a beating now.
oragator
Just my take, I believe the truth is somewhere in the middle. Whether it was a boycott of KK, or just a boycott of what she has turned the new universe into, the fan apathy towards her stewardship is real.
Small anecdotal sample, but I saw 1,2,3, 7 and rogue one with the same 2 friends. It was a tradition amongst us, about the get together as much as the movie. One of those two stopped coming after rogue one based on reviews of 8 and now Solo, the other one still came but hated 8. And I have been clear about my disappointment here with the new direction. People in my age group have survived waiting nearly 20 years between 4 and 1, the disappointments of the prequels, waiting another decade for a glorified remake, then 8 as the final straw for many. And then for a lot of people you can throw in the social overtones that have alienated them.

To a lot of folks, it just isn't worth being loyal any longer. And without the loyal base, these movies won't compete with more modern action and sci fi movies. They have a legitimate problem on their hands.

Jmo.
toucan82
I thought the movie was good
TCTTS
AG
Apathy, yes. Boycott, no. In terms of contributing factors.
fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

Apathy, yes. Boycott, no. In terms of contributing factors.
Every Star Wars fan I know has seen Solo. I think this wasn't as "special" for a lot of people coming so soon after TFA and it didn't draw the casual fans.

Those people aren't boycotting anything.
TCTTS
AG
Exactly.
Belton Ag
AG
We sure that last guy wasn't trolling?
The Collective
AG
My god, this sucks.
AliasMan02
AG
I'm gonna go start my own entertainment board. With Star Wars. And West World.
Slicer97
AG
Why? You'll just end up screwing over what could have been some great characters like you did in your ill-finished GB story.

Yeah, I'm a little bitter. What of it?
YouBet
AG
We really enjoyed the movie once it got going. However, that opening 10-15 minutes was bad. To me it felt like you could see two different movies between the fired Directors and Ron Howard based on the opening and the rest of the movie alone but that may not be where the demarcation was. The feel of it was cheesy and the writing was horrid. The music was notably not Star Wars. It flat out felt like a different movie.

Anyway, once we got past that it was really fun. Things I noticed that I haven't necessarily seen mentioned:

• Donald Glover going in and out of Lando's Accent was noticable. First gambling scene you see him and he didn't have it at all but then when they go to the Falcon that first time and he's talking he sounds exactly like Billy Dee Williams. That scene was the only one where he was audibly a mimic of Williams. Reminded me of Harley Quinn in Suicide Squad when she was floating in and out of character with the HQ voice from the cartoons.
  • Han smiled a lot. Way more than he ever did in the OT which wasn't that often. But, you could simply chalk that up to youth and the invulnerability of it. Didn't bother me at all; I just noticed it in doing the natural comparison between Ford and this guy.
  • Loved finally seeing Chewie kick ass and show his strength. It's always been hinted at but never actually shown in any other movie. Even in TFA it wasn't shown.
  • Han: "You're 190!!?? You look great!"
  • Disagree with the Han comparisons to Mal. It was way closer to Starlord in GoG than Mal. Mal to OT Han Solo is valid as hell but not with this young Solo.
  • Glover was good but I didn't think he was incredible and didn't steal the movie. That's people simply projecting what they wanted to happen. Some overrating going on with this guy although he's clearly talented. The supposed sexual politics wasn't that noticable to me, but this pansexual thing actually makes sense for the character like others have said.
  • The makers of these movies really love tentacled creatures. Is TLJ the only one that hasn't had one?

Someone mentioned Kira and the scene where she kicked some dude's ass. After seeing Maul I was thinking back to that and immediately thought "holy crap she's a Sith apprentice and used Force in that scene." But, I guess it was more like some kind of martial arts? Someone on here called it a name.
Pro Ag
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

does anyone else want to talk about the movie with me? Like the stuff on the screens and the words people said and the music?

I really did, but since I saw it a week after it opened this thread became a beating over stupid stuff and people not just ignoring bad opinions. Sadly this is what the entertainment board has become. I used to enjoy coming to discuss small parts of the stories and get theories and now it's just arguing or what-if and industry tweets.

All that said, I do appreciate this list. One question though, are most of the below from new canon or old canon? I haven't listened to many of the books that are new cannon before ANH outside of Thrawn and the one with Vader and the Emporer wrecking shop.

I like most of the books so I don't want to ruin my enjoyment of the book by googling items below that play big parts in the books.
Quote:

1. Han & Quira going to the Coronet spaceport - Coronet being Corellia's capitol and a city heavily featured in Star Wars Galaxies - the greatest timewaster of my entire life.
2. The Imperial academy being on Carida, much as it is in the "Legends" when Han is young.
3. The Bossk reference.
4. Tobias killed Aura Sing! Fantastic hardcore fan drop-in.
5. Everything about the Kessel Run including the Maw brought over from another title.
6. The Xi sisters reference
7. The Mandalorian combat armor in Dryden Vos' yacht
8. Clint Howard
9. Actual aliens from the OT/PT showing up, like the Rodian
10. Beckett using Lando's future skiff guard costume.
11. Quira using Teras Kasi on Kessell
12. the guy from Rogue One being part of the Marauders' crew
13. The red guy with the horns ... I know him from somewhere.

Ulrich
Teras Kasi was the martial art the Jedi based their training on.
YouBet
AG
Ulrich said:

Thanks. So, not Force sensitive.
Ulrich
YouBet said:

Ulrich said:

Thanks. So, not Force sensitive.

Neither confirmed or denied in the movie, anyway, so I default to not. But who knows what's in the cartoons.
Koldus131
AG
AlphaCharlieUniformAggie said:

TCTTS said:

daggertx said:

Hopefully it's bad so maybe they will make a leadership change at lucasfilm.

The Force Awakens
$248M Opening Weekend / Domestic = #2 All-time
$529M Opening Weekend / Worldwide = #4 All-time
$936M Total / Domestic = #1 All-time
$2B Total / Worldwide = #3 All-time

Rogue One
$155M Opening Weekend / Domestic = #16 All-time
$290M Opening Weekend / Worldwide = #27 All-time
$532M Total / Domestic = #10 All-time
$1B Total / Worldwide = #25 All-time

The Last Jedi
$220M Opening Weekend / Domestic = #3 All-time
$450M Opening Weekend / Worldwide = #6 All-time
$620M Total / Domestic = #8 All-time
$1.3B Total / Worldwide = #11 All-time

Solo
$84M Opening Weekend / Domestic = #81 All-time
$148M Opening Weekend / Worldwide = #97 All-time

With that resume - in addition to the countless other blockbuster classics Kennedy has produced over her nearly 40-year stellar career - one "failure" in this franchise isn't going to do her in. It's just comical how ridiculous all this "Fire Kennedy!" talk is.

It's not happening.

Besides, realistically, who could come in and do better? NO ONE is landing Spielberg/Nolan/Cameron/etc for a Star Wars movie. In terms of practicality, the next best thing blockbuster-wise is/was J.J. Abrams. He didn't want to do it, told her no repeatedly, yet she persisted and landed him. And then after Abrams' wife told him he could never do another sequel again after TFA, Kennedy somehow convinced him to come back for one last go with Episode IX.

Sure, Kennedy has clearly had her share of director troubles as well, but ANYONE would have hired Gareth Edwards after Godzilla, and ANYONE would have taken a chance on Johnson, who, by all accounts, is/was one of the smartest, nicest, and most exciting filmmakers around. Just because he didn't give fanboys the Luke they wanted doesn't mean he's a bad filmmaker. Not by a long shot. That, and kudos to Kennedy for thinking outside of the box and taking a chance on Lord & Miller as well. It obviously didn't work out, but the vast majority of fandom was over the moon when they were announced. And now she somehow lands James Mangold for a Boba Fett spin-off? I had absolutely no desire to see that movie, but after Logan, I'll be the first in line. I literally can't think of a better, more appropriate director to take on that material.

Outside of Colin Trevorrow, which she course-corrected, Kennedy is hiring EXACTLY who everyone - in terms of a realistic consensus - wants for these movies. Sure, I wish Lucasfilm as a whole would have taken more time to map, connect, and flesh out the new trajectory of the franchise before TFA hit theaters, and delayed everything 'til at least 2016, but Kennedy's hands were tied, her and Abrams tried to argue for more time, and Bob Iger wasn't having it. He had stock holders to answer to and wasn't budging from 2015. So if you want to blame anyone, blame Bob Iger.

Anyway, apologies for going off on a random post, but I've had enough of this whining. So many people in this thread and on Twitter have absolutely NO IDEA what they're talking about, and sound like petulant children stomping their feet in a tantrum because mommy gave them a sugar cookie instead of chocolate chip.

Kennedy makes SJW movies pushing private agendas like an inner city meth dealer pushes... well, meth.

She makes ****ty Star Wars movies. But it's Star Wars and we take what we can get. Solo was stupid and the the script has full of holes. Plus, we already knew where Chewy and Han met, that the Falcon made the Kessel Run in 14 parsecs, and that Keira is gonna die so Han can bang Leia and sire another bull sh_t character...

Don't even get me started how Kennedy and the Kasdans ****ed up the ONE SHOT they had with Hamil, Fisher and Ford.

So yeah, change the Lucas film leadership. Disney is already a left wing company but the Marvel films are not complete garbage.

Stay off super right wing websites and listening to conservative talk radio. It's amazing how much happier you'll be
MandoArms
In regards to the Mal and Han comparison.

I know we only see "young" Malcolm Reynolds in the opening sequence episode one of Firefly but I think if you compare Mal in that episode and Han in Solo then you can see a lot of similarities. Both smiled and joked a lot more and acted invincible. If/when we get a Solo sequel I expect we will have a battle of Serenity like moment that breaks Han a beat...maybe it will be failing someone he cares about or letting down the Guardian's of the Whills and losing faith in the Force. That would be one hell of a tie in to RO and the OT Han we all know and love.
IG: mando_arms
Farmer1906
AG
Happy happy birthday

Rex Racer
AG
BrownCoat said:

In regards to the Mal and Han comparison.

I know we only see "young" Malcolm Reynolds in the opening sequence episode one of Firefly but I think if you compare Mal in that episode and Han in Solo then you can see a lot of similarities. Both smiled and joked a lot more and acted invincible. If/when we get a Solo sequel I expect we will have a battle of Serenity like moment that breaks Han a beat...maybe it will be failing someone he cares about or letting down the Guardian's of the Whills and losing faith in the Force. That would be one hell of a tie in to RO and the OT Han we all know and love.

Username checks out.
Ag Since 83
AG
$8 million Friday, might fall short of $30 million for the weekend. Ouch.

Lucasfilm should take a nice long look at the DCEU for a lesson about what happens when you refuse to learn lessons from your failures.
TCTTS
AG
Wow.

Not trying to start an argument or anything, just genuinely curious to hear what people think the "failures" are to learn from.

For me, even though I love Star Wars in May, I think it's clear that Disney/Lucasfilm will never not release in December again. It's not only an incredibly crowded month, but releasing the movie so shortly after TLJ was mistake as well, in the sense that the timing of the marketing felt completely off and it never really established itself. When reviews first hit for Solo, there was a brief moment where it sounded like Lucasfilm had a huge hit on their hands - and that they could ratchet their slate up to two films a year with this new little mini franchise/arc, along with everything else they have in development - but I'm afraid there's just no way that happens now. It brings up an interesting question, though...

Did audiences not want this movie/spin-off, in particular, or would have even the most kick ass Obi-Wan spin-off have underperformed in May as well? I honestly don't know the answer.

Other than that, personally, I loved the movie, so I don't know what else Lucasfilm could have done differently save for moving it to December where, of all years, it likely would have been far more successful with such crap competition later this year.
Quinn
AG
I saw an 8:30pm showing last night at AMC Northpark in Dallas and there were maybe 50 people in the theatre.
Ulrich
IMO, there were two avoidable, connected mistakes with Solo.

First, there's a very particular type of personality that obsesses over getting additional detail from a fictional past. There have been 7 Star Wars movies in the last 20 years; of those, Solo was the 5th prequel. Paying theater prices to watch the origin story of a character that is already really well known and dead seems like a tough sell to the average moviegoer.

Second, I think calling it star wars fatigue isn't exactly right. Marvel has been cranking out two movies a year since 2008. The fatigue comes when it's the same characters over and over. The universe is not getting bigger very fast; in fact, in some ways it's getting smaller. Prequels are by nature about characters we already know, plus the way the prequels have been written shrinks the universe. When ANH was released, there were tons of offhand references and tropes used that made it appear to exist in a rich universe. Watch it again and note how much less open space there is for your imagination to fill in now. Contrast that with marvel, who relentlessly moves forward and introduces significant new protagonists and villains in almost every film. That's why it stays fresh.

Now layer in the production issues which led to marketing problems, the timeline that exacerbated the issue, and dissatisfaction over a poor second effort in the saga films.

Tl;dr: Solo was doomed no matter what, and so is any subsequent prequel until the universe reaches a richer, fresher state.
Ag Since 83
AG
I like the movie too (seen it 3 times, and am ready to put it ahead of TFA in my rankings), but I don't think there's any way you can look at a hugely expensive film (whose budget you inflated because you ****ed up the first try) losing as much money as this thing will probably lose at the box office as anything other than a failure.

Solo was the victim of a variety of factors. Some things are pretty easy to fix (May vs. December), but they need to rethink a lot on the creative side. This was a movie nobody really wanted except for apparently George Lucas and the Kasdans, and of course what have we gotten in the past couple weeks on the news front? A Boba Fett movie basically nobody wants. Mangold's an interesting pick, but Fett's story is basically told, plus Episode II already ****ed up his mystique by pulling back the curtain, so why risk that even more?

And then of course we have the possibility of more movies with Maul, a character who the casual audience thought (quite understandably) was dead, and for the fans of the expanded canon, again, his story is told. His final appearance in Rebels was just about perfect. Plus you're pretty limited in what you can do with him anyway. He can't really run into Obi-Wan, and Han can't see him use the Force.

Those movies might be really good, but I don't see them generating much excitement amongst a wide enough section of the population. At least Obi-Wan has an actor everyone is a fan of and we all would love for him to get a chance to play the character in a movie not weighed down by Anakin and George Lucas

They don't have an easy task ahead of them. They have to thread the needle of simultaneously doing something new and interesting, while still having the look and feel of Star Wars. The Last Jedi didn't do nearly enough of the latter for a lot of people (and some bad execution on the former), and Solo probably didn't do enough of the former.

I think they need a creative lead to manage the overall vision. Letting directors add their spins to the franchise is great, but it all has to fit together.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
Sorry, didn't mean to keep you "waiting".

[Link]https://www.google.com/amp/amp.dailycaller.com/2018/05/29/sjw-politics-solo-star-wars/[/link]

[Link]https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenrant.com/star-wars-kathleen-kennedy-male-fans/amp/[/link]

I'm not interested in getting an a battle over this. You came to this forum with your beliefs and me with mine.

We'll both leave with those same beliefs. If you somehow associate me as a bad person for not agreeing with you then that is your mistake to make.

Gig'em
Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen
SeattleAgJr
https://deadline.com/2018/06/shailene-woodley-adrift-solo-star-wars-story-action-point-weekend-box-office-1202401740/

It's a truly awful post-Memorial Day weekend, and it's not because we're following a high volume period. Any major studio could have programmed a truly big event title here and reversed the marketplace's fortune for the better;

The other wrench slowing business down is Disney's Solo: A Star Wars Story, which really isn't much of a holdover with an estimated second weekend of $28.8M, down 66%, with a running domestic cume of $148.3M. Now, it's common for a No. 1 Memorial Day opening title to fall in the mid-sixty-percentile range (that's because the weekend is coming off a big Sunday). But this is the lowest second weekend for a Star Wars movie out of Disney/Lucasfilm's latest crop, and the 20th Century Fox released Episodes I-III (which, in all fair comparisons, had their second weekends cushioned by the Memorial Day holiday stretch).

Despite the movie's solid positive exit scores, Solo's problem isn't with audiences leaving the theater, but getting the non-fans in the door. While fanboys may not discriminate on movie ticket pricing, a family of six is going to think twice before they rush to Solo. We'll see how overseas fares this weekend before we analyze Solo's losses. But saying that Disney won't endure a write-down due to Star Wars merchandising is foolish. That's an excuse up there with "the dog ate my homework." First, franchise pics that bomb don't yield toy sales, especially in this landscape with Toys R Us out of business, a toy retailer that owned a 15% market share. Second, industry sources inform Deadline that Last Jedi missed its $600M merchandise revenue target with a $450M take. As an aside, we hear that small town exhibitors were still on the hook to paying Disney a 65% rental on Solo, but without the four-week commitment that came with Last Jedi.

YouBet
AG
I'm agreeing with TC on this movie. Get past the opening and it was a blast. Guy that played Han (sorry, idk his name) was likable as hell.

Best thing about this movie was Chewie. You almost could have called this "Han and Chewie". Seeing him reach his previously almost mythical, physical capabilities was awesome.

Calling this movie a failure is just people with an axe to grind imo. Look forward to renting and watching again (although I will fast forward through the opening).

I bet near-term history will validate this film.
Coog97
I am a ground-floor Star Wars fan. Have been since my mom first took me to see the original when I was five years old. I am also a pretty conservative guy who despises almost all PC and SJW BS.

Just got out of Solo... and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a lot of fun. The whole L3 activist outrage stuff was funny, IMO. Maybe the Lando-L3 stuff was a little weird, but I also found the humor in it.

Several really cool sequences, interesting backstory and lots of (as always) fun nods to the franchise's past / future, out of left field surprises, solid performances by the actors... all-in-all good stuff.

I'd rank it about middle-of-the-pack amongst the films... inferior to the OT and RO, not as significant as ROTS... maybe on-par with TFA. It was pretty good, but not great. I enjoyed it, but I also didn't have to spend three years waiting for it. I'll buy the Blu-Ray when it comes out, of course, but don't know if I'll see it again in theaters, just like TLJ.
Render
AG
Ok, so? Do the creatives care? Sure, they get an A for Effort. But the more important people, the executives who run the show, don't. And they're the reason why Disney is in this mess.

The creatives caring doesn't change the fact that the movies aren't very good. I'm just choosing to be realistic about the situation.

A lot of people worked hard on and cared about The Hobbit movies, but does anybody watch them currently? No. Because they aren't very good. It's not about intent, it's about results. You don't get credit for just caring.

That's just my opinion though.
Jett01
AG
Coog97 said:

I'll buy the Blu-Ray when it comes out, of course, but don't know if I'll see it again in theaters, just like TLJ.

Maybe we have enough DVDs....
Ulrich
For a third time... I'm not arguing the overall quality of the movies at this time, that is a separate discussion.
Render
AG

You work in Hollywood, yet your go-to response to someone who's interested enough in movies to discuss the industry is to insult them? No wonder people think Hollywood people are smug. I'd be a little more self-aware yourself.

I respect your insight into the industry, and I agree with the majority of your points. But I feel Disney's shortchanging of Han, Leia, and Luke is a big deal. Very big. They were the emotional cornerstone of the OT, and they were treated in the absolute worst possible of ways. Since they were treated so poorly, and since the new story and characters aren't satisfying at all, and since Disney has taken a weird arrogant tone to the fans, many people are probably wondering why even bother going to see these films anymore long-term? Which is why Solo (along with merchandise sells) may be underperforming, due to that apathy. Disney has probably hamstrung this franchise, before it ever really got going.

I agree with some of AlphaCharlieUniformAggie's points, but not all. oragator took the grown-up approach. Grow a ****ing backbone. Learn to take a comment you don't like.
MandoArms
So anyone want to talk about the movie...like the actual movie and what it was about. Maybe the music?
IG: mando_arms
AliasMan02
AG
What's with the politics board people? Is this a board raid?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.