*** SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY ***

251,028 Views | 1959 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ol_Ag_02
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS
AG
Might want to read the last page or so before posting.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

This is promising - if it has "Star Wars" humor and was a bit dull; then I think I will enjoy it...

If Chewie stole the show, that is probably good as well.

Anyways, my excitement is building. As long as it's not "Solo: A Star Wars Marvel Knockoff"... I am okay with it.

Pretty much as long as Rian Johnson is not allowed to carry forward an already-started story (i.e. slap the audience in the face with a wagging "no no no" finger and scream "hahaha, you just THOUGHT that was going to happen") I will be alright with it.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Might want to read the last page or so before posting.
My guess is that he will get his own movie, but it won't be "next"... I'll let it stand
fig96
AG
I called the Lando film back on page 12, just sayin'
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Calling my shot.

Solo is going to do huge business, Lando will (not surprisingly) steal the show, and a Lando movie will be announced before the summer is over.
While the first two remain to be seen, I'm 33% right so far.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
"The Chewie and Han stuff worked brilliantly."

"When you see Younis, and the way he gets to move his body and the things he gets to do; he better get the recognition. He was GREAT as Chewbacca, and he was able to do alot of things that Peter Mayhew, just because of the way that he was and he was getting up there in age, even during the OT couldn't do with his body. So there's things in there that you wanted to see Chewie always do that you get to see Chewie do in this movie, and its just because this kids 29 years old and he's mobile. You get to see his raw power and his raw strength and you get to see Chewie throw down a couple of different times, and I love that..."
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

And this guy complains about pacing from Ron Howard and uses "In the Heart of the Sea" as the sarcastic pacing comparison...

I think I WILL like this movie now; because I really really liked "In the Heart of the Sea".

This critic seems like a dumbass millenial who was expecting a Marvel movie and got a Star Wars movie... he says it's "predictable" which is kind of what I wish TLJ was... so yeah.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I actually usually agree with his reviews.
ottc777
SpreadsheetAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

And this guy complains about pacing from Ron Howard and uses "In the Heart of the Sea" as the sarcastic pacing comparison...

I think I WILL like this movie now; because I really really liked "In the Heart of the Sea".

This critic seems like a dumbass millenial who was expecting a Marvel movie and got a Star Wars movie... he says it's "predictable" which is kind of what I wish TLJ was... so yeah.
agree... TLJ went out of it's way to be unpredictable that it hurt the story.

And of course Solo is predictable, we know Han, Chewie and Lando live and how Han ended up with the Falcon already.
Satellite of Love
fig96 said:

I called the Lando film back on page 12, just sayin'
Bro, I called it on page 5:
Quote:

I bet Donald as Lando steals the show and we get a Lando spin-off.

bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
fig96
AG
Nice.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
ottc777 said:

GoAgs92 said:

Boba Fett Prequel sounds better.
No it doesn't. The guy hardly talks unless he's a stupid kid saying 'get him, hehehehe'

At least Lando could be a character arc going from scummy scoundrel to responsible owner and proprietor of an upscale mining guild in the sky.
So, it's kinda like "Better Call Saul", but in reverse?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Are we really posting spoilers already? A whole week early?
Malachi Constant
AG
On spoilers:

I have taken a different approach to this film compared to other Star Wars films. Specifically, I've actively sought out spoilers the entire time. I figured I had low enough expectations for this movie that I wouldn't mind if it was spoiled. Plus, I've never actually gone out and intentionally spoiled a movie on purpose, but reading posts from TC and others it can actually be kind of fun knowing "what" the film is going to do, but waiting to see "how" the film does it.

All of that to say: AGGies0311 is intentionally spoiling things, but fortunately his comments aren't fully accurate. However, I suggest NOT READING ANYTHING HE SAYS ON THIS THREAD if you don't want to be spoiled.
The Collective
AG
Ahhhhh, yes.
AGGies0311
twilly
AG
This seems as good a time to use the "ignore" feature as any.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Honestly buying a star might be worth it just for that...
twilly
AG
The staff vacuum in full effect on this page!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Staff.
The Collective
AG
I'm not super worried about spoilers for this movie, but I've been careful since some of the early reviews said to ignore them if you can. There is supposed to be an interesting surprise at least.

On the poster above, it's pretty damn obvious when you only show up to discuss a film a week out and always post a spoiler.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
For the record, the long blacked out post above is not a spoiler, per se. But out of an abundance of caution, even though nothing there suggests plot, story, etc. It was just something I thought was cool, and didn't want to ruin any surprise or anything for anyone else. It has nothing to do with plot or story (of which I have read NONE - because I just started following this thread yesterday on page 24...)
Boo Weekley
Thoughts on Disney going out of their way to make Lando a "pansexual" who likes D?

I miss the Hollywood of old. Homosexuality doesn;t bother me one but, just a huge turnoff when Hollywood bends over backwards to force sh** like this. It's like every movie nowadays has to be some social statement or have an agenda.

Hope this one crashes big time.
Ag Since 83
AG
I think the talking about this in the media/online forum (from both liberals and conservatives) will be 100x more annoying than whatever is actually in the movie, like Sulu being gay in Star Trek Beyond and LeFou being gay in Beauty and the Beast
The Collective
AG
Pointless. Disney seems to enjoy doing this to grab a headline, and then their movie does nothing to address it (See Beauty & the Beast).
TCTTS
AG
I'm of two minds on this. Just like any underserved demographic, there are plenty of LBGTQ people who want to see more people like them represented in film and television, and studios trying to accommodate those demographics is fine by me. It's no different than trying to round out a cast with more minorities, etc. Can it be seen as pandering more often than not? Sure. But Hollywood's job, first and foremost, is to make money. And getting more and more diverse crowds in the theater is what makes money. Simple as that.

What they're doing with Lando and, say, Dumbledore from Harry Potter is ridiculous, though. Either show the character being gay - in-movie - or don't. This after-the-fact, "Uh, yeah, guess what? So-and-so was actually gay the whole time!" schtick is such bullsh*t. Either commit or don't.
TCTTS
AG
Yep. My point exactly.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
All Jedi are supposed to abstain right?

So maybe in the Old Republic Movie they can discuss forced castration of the younglings.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Boo Weekley said:

Thoughts on Disney going out of their way to make Lando a "pansexual" who likes D?

I miss the Hollywood of old. Homosexuality doesn;t bother me one but, just a huge turnoff when Hollywood bends over backwards to force sh** like this. It's like every movie nowadays has to be some social statement or have an agenda.

Hope this one crashes big time.

My bet is that this is nothing more than the screenwriter saying he's pansexual but there's absolutely no reference to his sexuality in the movie.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Quote:

Either show the character being gay - in-movie - or don't. This after-the-fact, "Uh, yeah, guess what? So-and-so was actually gay the whole time!" schtick is such bullsh*t. Either commit or don't.
Yeah, its playing gotcha with the audience in hindsight...
Another Doug
AG
What's the big deal. He's always been gay. No straight man rocks a fashionable cape that well. Also, in ROTJ his co-pilot had a vagina for a face, and it didn't distract him once.

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Beware of Doug said:

What's the big deal. He's always been gay. No straight man rocks a fashionable cape that well. Also, in ROTJ his co-pilot had a vagina for a face, and it didn't distract him once.

Flashdiaz
AG
Beware of Doug said:

Also, in ROTJ his co-pilot had a vagina for a face, and it didn't distract him once.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.