*** SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY ***

258,372 Views | 1959 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ol_Ag_02
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ulrich said:

That said, the overwrought Lando/L3 death scene was silly. It's a wisecracking toaster, and data backups. Also, bringing back a character that was cut in half and dropped down a reactor shaft made me roll my eyes. I think I saw mentioned that they already did that in the cartoon but I hoped they would gracefully leave those sort of cringy decisions out of the movies.

Get past his survival and get on board, because his return brought around a lot of incredible story telling. This era where he is running Crimson Dawn is particularly awesome. He went from being a voiceless monster in Ep 1 to a GREAT character.
Ulrich
So why not create a good character instead of doing the stupid comic book "surprise, he's not really dead even though we were originally very clear that he IS dead!" thing with a prequel character who looked cool but was a complete nothing otherwise?
MBAR
AG
Ulrich said:

So why not create a good character instead of doing the stupid comic book "surprise, he's not really dead even though we were originally very clear that he IS dead!" thing with a prequel character who looked cool but was a complete nothing otherwise?
I don't mind too much because I always felt Darth Maul had huge potential. I mean the character design was so amazing and he was just pretty much **** on during EP1. I agree with you in principle but I'm not too upset over this particular character.
The Collective
AG
Maul is great. But, I think I will just call him, Old Master.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
**** on? A little respect for Jedi Master Obi-Wan, huh?
Hagen95
AG
Best part of the movie was Han shot first!

The old folks in the theater laughed about it.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Why does everyone assume all the droids in SW have data backups offsite? It's an entirely different universe than ours. Remember how C-3P0 reacted when RD-D2 was blasted over the Death Star? It wasn't "oh, don't worry, we have a data backup." It was alarm that his friend might be lost.

Might as well ask why there isn't a Starbucks on every corner.
Thanks and gig'em
Hagen95
AG
Ulrich said:

I never really liked that they brought him back in Clone Wars either. There are lots of characters in the galaxy to create bad guys out of. Does Obi-Wan get two notches in his light saber for killing him twice?
AliasMan02
AG
Ulrich said:

It works because it redeems a poor attempt at a great character and connects the stories. His survival was a leap, for sure, but it's worth it to see what Filoni and his crew can do with the seeds of what we're in the prequels. Also, using Maul allowed his arc to be about getting revenge on Sidious and trying to destroy the Sith. That doesn't work with another random character.
AliasMan02
AG
Hagen95 said:

It was a good example of restraint by the writers as well. We all got the reference. It was good that Beckett didn't actually say "always shoot first" or something.
AliasMan02
AG
Aggie_Journalist said:

Why does everyone assume all the droids in SW have data backups offsite? It's an entirely different universe than ours. Remember how C-3P0 reacted when RD-D2 was blasted over the Death Star? It wasn't "oh, don't worry, we have a data backup." It was alarm that his friend might be lost.

Droid death is definitely viewed as a permanent thing in Star Wars. Jabba goes so far as to torture droids in Jedi. Emotional attachment to droids is also routine. If BB-8 died, Poe would be devastated. Cassian was visibly crushed by K2's death.
InternetFan02
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

How does anyone put Qi'ra above Rey? She wasn't bad but come on. Rey had more screentime in half of TFA, and a much more complete arc.
very easy. Rey is great but we all know how the arc will play out from day 1. The problems with that character arc are well established and discussed. With all the complaints surrounding Disney's female lead characters, they really got it right with Qi'ra. Too bad they screwed up with the non-funny female droid, but at least it died quickly.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Everyone knew Luke's arc from day one, too. Doesn't make either a bad character.

Most of Qi'ra's evolution takes place off-screen, so it's a little crazy to consider her a stronger character overall than Rey.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
One minor complaint is how Han's dice were pushed as a symbol of Han and Qi'ra's relationship. On its own, it's fine, but does it lose its meaning when Luke hands them to Leia in TLJ?

I get that it's a memento to remember Han by, but it feels less special knowing it was never a "Han and Leia" thing but a Han and Qi'ra thing.

It feels like receiving a wedding ring that he'd given to another woman years earlier.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
The dice will mean more after Solo 2 and Han being forced to kill Qi'ra just like kylo killed him.
Farmer1906
AG
I think its more of a Han thing. Its his good luck charm.
MBAR
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

**** on? A little respect for Jedi Master Obi-Wan, huh?
Haha, I don't mean in that he lost, in that he didn't really do anything BUT get cut in half. I didn't want him to beat Obi Wan but I did want him to be more prominent in the movie than Jar Jar.
MBAR
AG
Hagen95 said:

Yeah! I thought that was a great part too! (surprised not to see much mentioned about it here prior to this)
Ulrich
AliasMan02 said:

Aggie_Journalist said:

Droid death is definitely viewed as a permanent thing in Star Wars. Jabba goes so far as to torture droids in Jedi. Emotional attachment to droids is also routine. If BB-8 died, Poe would be devastated. Cassian was visibly crushed by K2's death.

Except that literally minutes later they rebooted L3 on another computer and no one acted like it was a big deal. All they had to do was plug in the hard drive. So fine, let's pretend that they never invented data backups somehow, but shouldn't Lando at least check that his talking refrigerator is dead before he melts down?
MBAR
AG
Ulrich said:

AliasMan02 said:

Aggie_Journalist said:

Except that literally minutes later they rebooted L3 on another computer and no one acted like it was a big deal. All they had to do was plug in the hard drive.
I don't think thats really true. They took out her data but it wasn't really her. At least that's how I took it.
Ulrich
AliasMan02 said:

Ulrich said:

It works because it redeems a poor attempt at a great character and connects the stories. His survival was a leap, for sure, but it's worth it to see what Filoni and his crew can do with the seeds of what we're in the prequels. Also, using Maul allowed his arc to be about getting revenge on Sidious and trying to destroy the Sith. That doesn't work with another random character.

I know I would find it hard to believe that Darth Sidious doublecrossed not one but TWO whole people. Hell, make it Darth Maul's brother Darth Paul and you get the revenge angle and the cool aesthetic without the comical reboot.
Ulrich
Whatever it was started plotting routes and stuff without being told. They also referred to it as "her" a couple times.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
probably a dumb question for you diehards but if Maul was still alive why did the emperor need Anakin as an apprentice? We're told in TPM that there are always two, a master and an apprentice.
Ulrich
1. The extent to which the Sith adhere to that rule is dramatically overstated

2. He was busy coordinating his war/plot via Dooku and others, including other Force users, and eventually settled on Anakin as the most promising potential apprentice

Someone who knows the cartoons can probably elaborate more on the actual events specific to Maul
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Just got out. So much fun. I had a huge grin several times while watching this. Loved Han, Lando, and Cherie. Loved seeing all the difference in the Millennium Falcon. Loved the musical score with callbacks to many of John Williams' original work.

The L3 droid was vaguely annoying. I didn't really like how Han got his last name, but that didn't detract from my enjoyment. The Kessel Run was cool with a little bit of a Star Trek vibe in there.

I was genuinely shocked at the appearance of Darth Maul. Major geek out moment for me, but I never watched any of the cartoons so I'm really unfamiliar with how he got out of that tube.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Ulrich said:

1. The extent to which the Sith adhere to that rule is dramatically overstated

2. He was busy coordinating his war/plot via Dooku and others, including other Force users, and eventually settled on Anakin as the most promising potential apprentice

Someone who knows the cartoons can probably elaborate more on the actual events specific to Maul

Real answer: Lucas didn't care about plot holes.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Ulrich said:

AliasMan02 said:

Ulrich said:

I know I would find it hard to believe that Darth Sidious doublecrossed not one but TWO whole people. Hell, make it Darth Maul's brother Darth Paul and you get the revenge angle and the cool aesthetic without the comical reboot.
TWO whole people? you mean 1 1/2.
Ulrich
Well played
Jason Ag
AG
I'm not knowledgeable of the universe so pardon me, but I always assumed the droids were "activated" similar to HAL or like J.A.R.V.I.S. That they can learn and adapt, but only the base program can be duplicated.
TCTTS
AG
Quote:

The Maul reveal was surprising but it opens up a whole new angle in these "side" movies that I think was a great decision by Disney. I'm in the same boat who say that these side movies are a lot better than the Skywalker saga. Really loved R1 and this one. Overall, 8.5/10

Re: the "new angle," I didn't think I'd want to see the "Marvel-ization" of Star Wars, but this movie changed my mind. It was such a relief to watch a Star Wars movie without the immense pressure and expectations this franchise usually comes with. I loved it so much in part because of how relatively light and breezy it was, and the idea of continuing this little side story with these characters is so appealing. Not via some high concept spinoff, not in a saga movie, just another fun, random adventure without the weight of the franchise on its shoulders. Someone mentioned it earlier, but yeah, this kind of felt like an Ant-Man or Guardians of the Galaxy-level installment, and I didn't realize how much that type of adventure was missing from a galaxy far, far away...
Murder Hornet
AG
Help me with the timeline for the movie

If Maul is alive now, is Anakin still Anakin or is he Vader already?

Han is 20-25 in this so Luke/Leia are about 10-15?

I'll echo that L3 was the worst part of this movie, felt like maybe more of that type of "humor" is what led to Miller/Lord getting fired. It was like watching an unfunny person try to be funny but failing miserably
Ulrich
I wasn't sure whether L3 was supposed to be funny....
TCTTS
AG
Reminder to please use spoiler tags.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
I really liked this movie, but my star wars droid ranki ngs

1. R2D2
2. K-2SO
3. BB-8
4. C3PO
5. Mouse droid chewy yells at in the Death Star.
6. That bounty hunter droid.
7. The one that gets its feet branded
8. L3.
Ulrich
4-LOM 4-EVER

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.