*** SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY ***

258,569 Views | 1959 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ol_Ag_02
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CJS4715 said:

Did you take the Emilia Clarke one home?
For......stuff
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ag Since 83
AG
Was wondering what it would be since they didn't mention it on Jedi Council last week
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
redline248
AG
If there is one thing Lucasfilm gets absolutely right, it's Stormtrooper design.
TCTTS
AG
Wow. Star Wars at Cannes. 10 days before it hits theaters. This is probably a good sign, quality-wise...

TCTTS
AG
Or maybe not...

Malachi Constant
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The visor from the trooper on the left looks like the one on Kylo Ren's mask.
The Collective
AG
Me progressing through TCTTS' two posts.
Urban Ag
AG
CJS4715 said:

Me progressing through TCTTS' two posts.

literally

me scrolling down the page.......

oh......awesome.....

...wait...............F***!!
SeattleAgJr
at some point, you consider if the damage to the brand outweighs the $300 million wasted on the project....

at least for this movie they have not spent that much on advertising.....
TCTTS
AG
Are you talking about Solo?
The Collective
AG
There was a report back in October that the budget for the film doubled. What was the original budget? $300mm seems like a lot.
SeattleAgJr
CJS4715 said:

There was a report back in October that the budget for the film doubled. What was the original budget? $300mm seems like a lot.
just trying to add in the costs of reshoots.
SeattleAgJr
TCTTS said:

Yes.

This is not a movie in high demand by the fans. Yes, there is interest. but there is not a fervent buzz of anticipation.
The fan discussion word of mouth throughout the turmoil has not been good.

If the movie is not GOOD!!!!! it will do additional damage to the brand that is already taking a few beatings the last few months (the mix reception to TLJ, decreasing sales of retail tie-ins)

At some point in the past they could have (past tense) considered taking the tax write-off and moving on.
AliasMan02
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

TCTTS said:

Yes.

This is not a movie in high demand by the fans. Yes, there is interest. but there is not a fervent buzz of anticipation.
The fan discussion word of mouth throughout the turmoil has not been good.

If the movie is not GOOD!!!!! it will do additional damage to the brand that is already taking a few beatings the last few months (the mix reception to TLJ, decreasing sales of retail tie-ins)

At some point in the past they could have (past tense) considered taking the tax write-off and moving on.

I think it's pretty much impossible to lose money on it. Box office, retail stuff (they have admitted to messing up the retail marketing on TLJ and have made changes), home media sales, a deal with Starz and then Netflix, etc. means success with the Star Wars brand, even if it's not as much as the mouse wanted.

And remember, before we bury this, Rogue One was on much the same trajectory (troubled production, uncertainty if a non-saga film could work), and surprised the hell out of people.

I think the movie could very well be a bright spot, with its different feel and young cast.
SeattleAgJr
well they apparently reshot 60+% of the movie (some reports go much higher)

it may be a much better movie than it was. but Disney has never been this shy about advertising a tent pole movie in its entire history. they pushed garbage like John Carter etc like crazy. Yet on this they are still radio silent...

hardy to say "you think it will be better" when we really have not seen anything of it as far as advertising goes.
TCTTS
AG
It could be a turd sandwich and will still make a sh*t ton of money for all the reasons Alias listed and more. Are you seriously talking about a tax write-off for a Star Wars movie? Even with low-ish buzz at the moment, seven weeks out, it's projected to do $125M opening weekend and that will likely only get higher.
MGS
CJS4715 said:

Corellian freighters are not cheap.
Urban Ag
AG
I'm looking forward to it. Only thing I am not amped about is probably the most important part. Han. The guy just doesn't look like him. He just looks too short. I can't get past that.

But hey, Chewie's there and rockin it bandito. Like the casting for Lando. Woody is always entertaining. New Falcon. Hopefully some Jabba/bounty hunters fanboy material. And an Emelia fix which is order especially considering I don't get to see the Mother of Dragons for a year.

I'm in.
AliasMan02
AG
Urban Ag said:

I'm looking forward to it. Only thing I am not amped about is probably the most important part. Han. The guy just doesn't look like him. He just looks too short. I can't get past that.

But hey, Chewie's there and rockin it bandito. Like the casting for Lando. Woody is always entertaining. New Falcon. Hopefully some Jabba/bounty hunters fanboy material. And an Emelia fix which is order especially considering I don't get to see the Mother of Dragons for a year.

I'm in.

The Falcon is the pivotal character in this film, imo.
redline248
AG
Do we have a timeframe yet for this movie? Like, 2 years before Star Wars? 6? I'm still trying to figure out why the millennium falcon looks different than the YT freighters shown in the prequels, and then Han modifies it to look exactly them? It's supposed to brand new?
TCTTS
AG
I think it's around 10 years prior to A New Hope. There were some references posted a few weeks back, but I can't remember the exact details.
mazag08
AG
Ya he's just not Han. I feel like they could have done a lot better.
TCTTS
AG

Additional images at the link above.
YouBet
AG
Chewie with the boss goggles!
The Collective
AG
Quote:

I like the new look for the Witch-king of Angmar.
TCTTS
AG
Boom.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Nice.
TCTTS
AG
A little more footage below. Looks like it's debuting during American Idol on ABC tonight, which starts at 7 PM Central. So between 7 and 8 tonight...

West Texan
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

How long till Daft Punk makes an appearance?

lunchbox
Madmarttigan
AG
I like what I see from everyone else except for Han Solo. Everything I've seen from him feels completely off.
amercer
AG
Now that has me excited to see this movie.

fig96
AG
I'm totally in.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.