*** WESTWORLD Season 1 (HBO) ***

358,050 Views | 2710 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sazerac
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I've been rewatching the entire season. So much to catch on the second viewing.

For example, Dolores showing Teddy how to herd the sheep.

"How do they know where to go?" "They follow the Judas steer."

Nice foreshadowing.
G Martin 87
AG
Cynical_Texan said:

Puts GoT to shame with it's writing imo. Great twists.
Alright, just for that, I'm going to have Hot Pie kill Jon, Dany, and Tyrion at the Red Breakfast. Cersei wins by default.
Cynical_Texan
AG
G Martin 87 said:

Cynical_Texan said:

Alright, just for that, I'm going to have Hot Pie kill Jon, Dany, and Tyrion at the Red Breakfast. Cersei wins by default.
Read the books, watched the show. It is great theatre but I think Westworld has more layers.

GoT is a great show don't get me wrong, I prefer that genre over WW. But for complexity I give the edge to WW.
Rocagnante
AG
G Martin 87 said:

Cynical_Texan said:

Hey there George, your boys Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck have put together quite a kick ass sci if series with The Expanse novels. Book 6 drops early Dec...can't wait!
bobinator
AG
I really like that despite basically everyone's predictions being true, we still have no idea what the end game of the show actually is. Especially given that they've said it's not going to be a "cliffhanger" finale.

It's almost like they put in all these "mini mysteries" for fans to figure out and have theories about to distract us from whatever the main arc of the show is.

Like, I still have zero idea how what Maeve's doing, Wyatt's gang, the MiB, Teddy, the "maze," Elsie & Stubbs, etc all have to do with each other.
Independent George
AG
Is it too coincidental like that Maeve said she wants to recruit her army yet we continually get cut into scenes of the retired host formed like an army?

I dont think there is anyway she activates them and starts a war this season right? Maybe they do and the park has to set in motion some sort of emergency protocol to destroy the park and the final scene is looks into a different park, maybe a Mayan/Roman/Viking like park.
bobinator
AG
The main problem there is the title of the show is "WestWorld" I doubt they're going to destroy the park in the first season. Would be kind of like Prison Break where after the first season it was like "oh... damn... well let's just put them in another prison..."

I'm going to be annoyed if the old hosts in storage have much to do with the plot because that would be a suspension of belief too far that they'd store the old hosts so that one rogue person (even one with admin privileges) could raise them as an army. Besides, we've already seen that Ford can backdoor his way into any host, so he'd be able to shut that down pretty quickly anyway.
Cynical_Texan
AG
bobinator said:

Man, this is the first show I've ever seen where like every wild Internet theory turned out to be true.
So true. I remember reading this thread when series first started and thought there was no way some of the theories were correct... I love being wrong.
NoHo Hank
AG
I do wonder if the hosts becoming self-aware(ish), staging a revolt, etc. is the deeper game that the MIB references and is another narrative programmed by Ford. Not so much to catch the self-aware hosts in a trap but more so just as another story. Not sure how that meshes with the maze being Arnold's narrative, but Ford just seems to be in complete control of everything, and I can't see him being surprised by Maeve or Delores.
bangobango
AG
Cynical_Texan said:

bobinator said:

Man, this is the first show I've ever seen where like every wild Internet theory turned out to be true.
So true. I remember reading this thread when series first started and thought there was no way some of the theories were correct... I love being wrong.
I'm glad it worked out that way.

I still think the original intent of LOST was for them to all be in purgatory, but the internet figured it out and so the writers changed it. What we ended up with was some *******ization of it all.
bangobango
AG
john32f said:

I do wonder if the hosts becoming self-aware(ish), staging a revolt, etc. is the deeper game that the MIB references and is another narrative programmed by Ford. Not so much to catch the self-aware hosts in a trap but more so just as another story. Not sure how that meshes with the maze being Arnold's narrative, but Ford just seems to be in complete control of everything, and I can't see him being surprised by Maeve or Delores.
Problem is, that is going to be a dark note to end the season on.

If it turns out that Ford controls everything and nobody can get one over on him, then what's the point of watching next season?

I mean, I would still watch because I find myself liking Ford than just about anybody else, but I can imagine a lot of people will be disappointed if it turns out all the struggles we've watched the main protagonist go through are completely futile.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

It's almost like they put in all these "mini mysteries" for fans to figure out and have theories about to distract us from whatever the main arc of the show is.
Made this exact post a few pages ago.
BigTimeAlum
AG
Ford will be killed by a host. 100% guaranteed. Pretty sure it will be Mauve and it will be stupid.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Bernold will kill him.
Dro07
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Bernold will kill him.
I agree... I don't think we have seen the end of bernold
Independent George
AG
My money is on MIB or Bernarnold.

I could see Maeve actually getting her army and revolt only to be completely shut down by Ford (would make for a sweet frozen battle scene). He has made it clear that even the sentient hosts (Bernard) have a backdoor built in so he can control them still.
bangobango
AG
BigTimeAlum said:

Ford will be killed by a host. 100% guaranteed. Pretty sure it will be Mauve and it will be stupid.

I could see that, but man if I'm a producer I'm not okay with killing off Hopkins. In my opinion, he adds a Lot of depth to the story. Without him I think season two will be missing something.

Maybe he gets resurrected as host?
AlaskanAg99
AG
The last episode brought me back in a little, see how season 1 ends. Still on the fence. Knives to the gut seem to kill everyone, but Delores takes it like a champ, then runs off.

I just don't see where this is going. If the bots do become sentient, are they just going to take over the park? And how does Ford not realize Maeve is off the reservation and not just shut her down? Lots little things just aren't making sense.
Quinn
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Bernold will kill him.
Didn't he just shoot himself?

bobinator
AG
It's also an older model of Dolores. And we've already seen that hosts that are sentient can sort of refuse to die like they're supposed to.

Maeve's story has one of two options, either it's a plot by Ford or it's a plot by "BernArnold."

Either he's the one that changed her settings allowing her to wakeup or whatever, or BernArnold did it and is hiding it from Ford because he's smarter (or less under Ford's control) than what Ford believes.

I tend to believe it's the latter because I don't think Elsie is dead.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Independent George said:

Is it too coincidental like that Maeve said she wants to recruit her army yet we continually get cut into scenes of the retired host formed like an army?

I dont think there is anyway she activates them and starts a war this season right? Maybe they do and the park has to set in motion some sort of emergency protocol to destroy the park and the final scene is looks into a different park, maybe a Mayan/Roman/Viking like park.
End scene for Episode 10: Maeve walks into the Dead Army. They all open their eyes simultaneously and say "Remember" (from Arnold)... <fin>
The White Wolf
Ford is a god God in this world... He won't simply be killed by a host unless it's his intention. And having said that, I think if we do see him killed, not only will it be part of his plan, but there will also be a cliffhanger of did he create a host replica to "fake" his death.

This would be a pretty big mind %$#& as well.
The White Wolf
bobinator said:

It's also an older model of Dolores. And we've already seen that hosts that are sentient can sort of refuse to die like they're supposed to.

Maeve's story has one of two options, either it's a plot by Ford or it's a plot by "BernArnold."

Either he's the one that changed her settings allowing her to wakeup or whatever, or BernArnold did it and is hiding it from Ford because he's smarter (or less under Ford's control) than what Ford believes.

I tend to believe it's the latter because I don't think Elsie is dead.
I agree with the two options on Maeve and I feel both are correct. I think it's somewhat of a plot by Arnold, but Ford is fully aware and he'll be using it for his plot.

As far as Elsie is concerned... Yes, I am fully expecting to see Elsie in this final episode too. In television nowadays, if you don't see the dead body, odds are that they're alive...

"Do not count a human dead until you've seen his body. And even then you can make a mistake"
The White Wolf
I still think the changed settings might not have been from a person but by a voice command, and that command being "These violent delights have violent ends." Been hoping to see this circled back to because it hasn't been said for quite a few episodes. However, it is mentioned in the preview and I'm guessing it'll come back into playing a larger role, just like it did before.
bobinator
AG
But that command had to come from somewhere.
The White Wolf
From Arnold, I would assume. Ford even mentioned that the backdoor code and commands were Arnold's idea. I was just saying that I don't think Maeve's actions are going unnoticed by Ford.
mhayden
Do we actually know for sure that Hopkins is signed on for future seasons and/or that it won't be a completely different storyline? I think someone mentioned it was going to go into the history of how they were made and what-not -- decent chance that Maeve, Man In Black, etc... aren't even a part of Season 2?
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Anyone else think of Liam McPoyle when William yelled out "Don't touch her!"

SpreadsheetAg
AG
I would like to point out again how awesome the CGI is for young and middle aged Ford
Dro07
AG
Quinn said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Bernold will kill him.
Didn't he just shoot himself?

Yes but there is a theory that there is another
G Martin 87
AG
Fogburn95 said:

G Martin 87 said:

Cynical_Texan said:

Hey there George, your boys Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck have put together quite a kick ass sci if series with The Expanse novels. Book 6 drops early Dec...can't wait!
Ha, ha, very funny. I see what you did there. The Winds of Winter will be done when it's done. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go to my safe space now.
G Martin 87
AG
Cynical_Texan said:

G Martin 87 said:

Cynical_Texan said:

Read the books, watched the show. It is great theatre but I think Westworld has more layers.

GoT is a great show don't get me wrong, I prefer that genre over WW. But for complexity I give the edge to WW.

Complexity and layers? I thought everyone hated the Dorne stuff? I only put Quentyn in there to get Dany out of Meereen, but if you want more I suppose I can have her sail around The Narrow Sea with seasick Dothraki for awhile. Maybe I can have her pick up Gendry on the way. He must be getting tired rowing by now.
MW03
AG
This is funny and all, but in starting to believe you are GRRM and you should know I'm coming for you, Misery style, to make you finish the damned books. Tell Rothfuss to watch his back, too.
Counterpoint
AG
G Martin 87 said:

Ha, ha, very funny. I see what you did there. The Winds of Winter will be done when it's done. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go to my safe space now.
Is watching NY Giants games your safe space?
G Martin 87
AG
Count Counterpoint said:

G Martin 87 said:

Is watching NY Giants games your safe space?
And the Jets. But I'll be hanging out at my new Wild Cards website a lot now!
http://grrm.livejournal.com/508920.html

Bouncy!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.