*** WESTWORLD Season 1 (HBO) ***

357,795 Views | 2710 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sazerac
Quinn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Uncle Gunnysack said:

bangobango said:

LHIOB said:

They could fall off a cliff or fall off a horse. Get drunk and drown in the river. Lots of ways to die by being stupid.
yeah, seems they'd have a lot of deaths and serious injures just from horses getting shot out from under the guests.
also, have they shown humans from different parties interacting yet? seems inevitable that guests will meet as enemies in their quests and kill each other, or has the issue of guest vs guest mortality already been addressed?

Guests approach MiB and thanked him for his foundation's work in the real world. He told them to shut up or he would cut them, so I took that to mean that guests can hurt other guests.
amercer
AG
The hosts are supposed to stop you from hurting yourself or other guests
Wolfpac 08
AG
dromo07 said:

R0GUE said:

I don't understand how a robot firing a Gatling gun blindly at a boxcar is supposed to be able to avoid hurting real people.
They can still get "shot" but it doesn't hurt them. William was shot before but it was like a rubber bullet when it hit him.

I think this is pretty indicative of the multiple timeline theory. William gets shot and it knocks him down and leaves a bruise. MiB gets shot and it's like there is a force field around him. No effect at all. That tells me that the technology has upgraded (over the course of time)
G Martin 87
AG
mazag08 said:

Want to really have your mind blown??

The last episode of the season will play out and have many surprises for us. Some we though of, some we didn't.. but we will all be intensely satisfied.

Then, as the camera pans out, we get one last scene with Ford putting the lasting touches on his new narrative.. which isn't a narrative, but an entirely new world.. called..

Westoros

Begin speculation on which GOT character are robots and which are guests.
Westeros is mine, dammit. Nolan better lawyer up.
Btron
AG
AliasMan02 said:

The White Wolf said:

In that "flashback" scene that you're referring to when she sees the MiB in the barn, the last words he says to her is:
"Do you remember? Why don't we reacquaint ourselves, Dolores? Start at the beginning..."

THE VERY NEXT SCENE is her running and falling into William's arms at their campfire. In a story telling sense, it is completely linear. It would make less sense if we saw that scene, heard that line, and then it moved to something completely nonrelated.

You have the sequence wrong. She stumbles onto William and Logan after shooting Rebus and fleeing before Walter can shoot her.
Or did she? We have no idea when and what is taking place when it comes to Hosts.
Jason_Ag98
AG
Valar Dolores.
Mathguy64
AG
G Martin 87 said:

mazag08 said:

The last episode of the season will play out and have many surprises for us. Some we though of, some we didn't.. but we will all be intensely satisfied.

Then, as the camera pans out, we get one last scene with Ford putting the lasting touches on his new narrative.. which isn't a narrative, but an entirely new world.. called..

Westoros

If you don't hurry up and finish that book you may end up getting turned into a host who programming will have them sitting at a computer pumping out 25 pages a day. And it wont be 25 pages of football related nonsense if you know what I mean. Its going to be dragons and Dothraki and smart aleck dwarfs and naked Dany and more naked Dany.

(rather ironic post as I haven't read a single book )
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Wish I'd have seen this earlier; I am in...

My thoughts which I am sure have been discussed:

1. Young Anthony Hopkins looked amazing
2. Boobs
3. Suspected Bernard was a host and had it confirmed last night
4. Why didn't that Asian lab worker just turn Maeve's intelligence down to 0 instead of up to 15; he had all the power in that moment in episode 6...
5. I suspect there are two different timelines at play; the scenes with Ed Harris (Man in Black) are about 30 years after the scenes with the young executive (William) and his ******* future brother in law (I suspect MiB and William are the same guy separated by 30 years)
bobinator
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

4. Why didn't that Asian lab worker just turn Maeve's intelligence down to 0 instead of up to 15; he had all the power in that moment in episode 6...
He obviously didn't want to. He also could have shut her down a number of times.
The White Wolf
Wolfpac 08 said:

dromo07 said:

R0GUE said:

I don't understand how a robot firing a Gatling gun blindly at a boxcar is supposed to be able to avoid hurting real people.
They can still get "shot" but it doesn't hurt them. William was shot before but it was like a rubber bullet when it hit him.

I think this is pretty indicative of the multiple timeline theory. William gets shot and it knocks him down and leaves a bruise. MiB gets shot and it's like there is a force field around him. No effect at all. That tells me that the technology has upgraded (over the course of time)
What doesn't hold up here is that when they capture Slim in that house with all the outlaws, Logan is shot, yet his reaction is similar to the MiB and others to where it looks like he doesn't feel anything. However, the creators did note that the guests would feel it, but it wouldn't be a crushing nor dangerous blow. Just wanted to point out that in that "timeline" we do see guests get shot and it appears as if it just bounces off them. I think Williams reaction was more of a first time deal and not being ready for it, but it is pretty peculiar.
drmwvr
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Could it be?

What happened to this link? I wanted to show someone the comparison between the two Bernards!
3rdGen2015
AG
Tobias Funke said:

Since the show introduced religion, I can't help picking up very strongly Biblical allegory in the narrative. Take the concept of the creation and trilogy.... (have fun blasting this idea apart, everyone!):

-Arnold (God) creates Westworld and all of the "people" in it as a masterful experiment of "if we can create consciousness, what would AI do and build on their own?". He remains out of the picture but is in control

-Arnold creates his ideal specimen, Dr Ford (Lucifer), as a partner and friend. Through a series of technological improvements, Dr Ford becomes super intelligent, believes he is superior to Arnold (the fall) and begins messing with programming to affect creation. Through this process, Arnold loses control/command. Westworld becomes a very Sodom and Gomorrah type place.

- in an effort to save his creation, Arnold inserts himself physically in this world for the first time as God among man (Jesus), to try to re-establish balance. Under Dr Ford's remote direction, "the incident" happens and Arnold is killed by the robots (crucifiction)

-Anticipating this might happen, Arnold had already programmed his consciousness into some of the beings...their bicameral mind... and even after his death still speaks to them and guides them (the Holy Spirit).

And.... go

I was thinking about this on my way home today. With Bernard being a host and possibly a recreation of Arnold, is he going to be the Christ figure? Is Maeve going to be a John the Baptist of sorts?
spanky
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Wish I'd have seen this earlier; I am in...

My thoughts which I am sure have been discussed:

Nekkid bot in room; he never had control or power. He could've set the freak level to 15 though
Counterpoint
AG
mathguy86 said:

G Martin 87 said:

mazag08 said:

Westoros

If you don't hurry up and finish that book you may end up getting turned into a host who programming will have them sitting at a computer pumping out 25 pages a day. And it wont be 25 pages of football related nonsense if you know what I mean. Its going to be dragons and Dothraki and smart aleck dwarfs and naked Dany and more naked Dany.

(rather ironic post as I haven't read a single book )

You haven't read a single book but you know all about his tendency to write weekly essays about the Giants and Jets on his blog? I appreciate your dedication, sir.

Al Bula
AG
I wish the giants players would take a knee till this ******* completes the rest of the series
Clem
I apologize if this has been mentioned, but does Dr. Robert Ford's name (being that of Jesse James' friend turned assassin) have any significance, given that the backdrop of this created world is the Old West?

Does his name make it more likely that Arnold made him, as Jesse "made" Ford, and does it make it more likely that it will end with Ford killing his James (Arnold) when he begins to feel a paranoid fear of his "creator"? Could it be that Ford is the host who killed his creator and not the other way as most of us assume?
Dro07
AG
Only way that would work is if ford found a way to create aging skin
techno-ag
AG
I was thinking "Ford" was a nod to Henry Ford who introduced mass production.
spanky
AG
I thought Ford was a nod to Fix or Repair Daily like they do with the hosts
Post removed:
by user
techno-ag
AG
spanky said:

I thought Ford was a nod to Fix or Repair Daily like they do with the hosts
Found On Road Dead.
hunter2012
AG
So are scenes where the hosts are interrogated by Ford or Bernard in the hosts heads? I only ask this because they'll be interviewed during the night and often in the middle of a storyline. Like Dolores being interviewed while she was passed out at the campfire. I could see the interview being a self check, like Ford's attempt at creating a conscience. It's not like Ford or Bernard could interview thousands of hosts to keep them from becoming self aware.

Or is it assumed these are non-chronological scenes too?
TCTTS
AG
Heroic Hollywood / "'Westworld' Season Two Could Premiere In 2017"
hunter2012
AG
TCTTS said:

2018 sounds forever away...
bobinator
AG
That's one of the great debates.
RebAg13
The Shank Ag
TCTTS said:

Why does this person think episode 8 is the season finale?
SpreadsheetAg
AG
hunter2012 said:

So are scenes where the hosts are interrogated by Ford or Bernard in the hosts heads? I only ask this because they'll be interviewed during the night and often in the middle of a storyline. Like Dolores being interviewed while she was passed out at the campfire. I could see the interview being a self check, like Ford's attempt at creating a conscience. It's not like Ford or Bernard could interview thousands of hosts to keep them from becoming self aware.

I assumed it's a jumble of chronology
SpreadsheetAg
AG
The Shank Ag said:

TCTTS said:

Why does this person think episode 8 is the season finale?
Not sure.

Wikipedia lists:
8 Trace Decay
9 The Well-Tempered Clavier
10 The Bicameral Mind

(Spoiler tagged in case these episode titles are give-aways)
Dro07
AG
hunter2012 said:

I am going wit the theory of it being Arnold that is interviewing Dolores because of two things... He is fully clothed when "Bernard" is interviewing her and its also done in the basement of the cabin.
OldArmy71
AG

Quote:

I was thinking "Ford" was a nod to Henry Ford who introduced mass production.

I agree, and it also suggests the dystopian vision of "Brave New World," for which Henry Ford is a god-like figure.
AgLaw02
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Well Jon Snow is clearly a host. Re-animated and everything.
Ramsay Bolton is a guest. Somehow he and MiB are the same person.

If Theon is a guest he should demand a refund.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Ahhh.. just realized music was by Ramin Djawadi... makes sense; HBO and all.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1014697/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cr24
R0GUE
AG
If they actually built a robot-theme park, as cool as a Western theme would be, I would do anything to go to a Game of Thrones simulation.
Duncan Idaho
I agree Pre-gun would be better. At least there would be more of a sense of real danger for the guests(intentionally)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.