*** WESTWORLD Season 1 (HBO) ***

351,859 Views | 2710 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sazerac
BowSowy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

RossK10 said:

That scene with Maeve walking through the facility was amazing.

Yep. Fantastic music. Anyonr know what that was? Original Ramin soundtrack? If so, give that man his Emmy already. Should've won it this year for the GoT finale alone.
I think it was "Motion Picture Soundtrack" by Radiohead
bobinator
AG
3rdGen2015 said:

So who do we think took Elsie?

I'm thinking it was Stubbs. I think he knows what Theresa has been up to and that is why he was so keen on just taking the head of the wood cutter and not the whole body. But what is QA's motive behind this? Are they trying to get somebody killed in the park so that Ford will be relieved of his duties?

Stubbs is a good candidate. It could also just be a random host tasked to do it by whoever is doing all of this stuff.

I haven't heard and don't have a good theory on how all of those pieces fit together.
BassCowboy33
3rdGen2015 said:

So who do we think took Elsie?

I'm thinking it was Stubbs. I think he knows what Theresa has been up to and that is why he was so keen on just taking the head of the wood cutter and not the whole body. But what is QA's motive behind this? Are they trying to get somebody killed in the park so that Ford will be relieved of his duties?

I think next week's preview gave that away. They're trying to get Ford out of equation. They need something to go wrong, so they're altering the hosts to try and force a problem.

I'm betting that board member lady is part of the conspiracy.

Edit: Woops. Wrong emoji.
Quinn
AG
Also, what reviews are y'all reading? Sepinwall is a wet blanket on the show, so I need someone else to read.
LHIOB
AG
Quinn said:

Also, what reviews are y'all reading? Sepinwall is a wet blanket on the show, so I need someone else to read.
Same question for the same reasons
OldArmy71
AG
NYT reviewer is pretty good.
Complete Idiot
I posted before the issue is with overthinking it and coming up with fantastical theories........

The thought crossed my mind that Ford has almost created his own west world. It seems he is battling the remnants of Arnold, and the hunt for the maze, but it also seems he could get rid of that all instantly if he wanted - destroy old hosts, etc.. He almost seems to enjoy the cat and mouse games going on, a challenge to him that he needs to stay engaged in life.

Like I said, fantastical
bobinator
AG
I will say last night's episode just confused a lot of things for me. Like, for this Theresa vs Ford plot to make any sense, Bernard almost has to be real, which he almost certainly isn't.

If Ford built Bernard as Arnold 2.0 (Reddit seems to fond of "Bernarnold" for short), and Bernarnold is the one manipulating the hosts to break their core code, then Ford would know it's happening, yet he doesn't seem to. OR, he wants it to happen, which also doesn't make any sense, why jump through all of those hoops?

Unless I'm just completely missing some major plot point?
mavsfan4ever
AG
I've thought Bernard was a host from the beginning, just because something seems a little off with him, but I wouldn't say he almost certainly is a host. There hasn't been a ton of evidence given to us that indicates he's a host. If he ends up being real, there is nothing we can really point to and say "he can't be real..."
Complete Idiot
I've never felt Bernard was a host, can you remind me of the signs I've missed that point to that?
Raptor
AG
Let's say their are "two timelines".

The beginning and the present. What doesn't make sense to me is why then would Dolores have been given the same loop 30+ years apart? She's in the original loop wearing the blue dress on a normal day of getting groceries and painting with newcomers William/Logan and in the same loop and blue dress (albeit subtle differences like the can of condensed milk) with the MiB.

Seems like her going back to the same exact narrative would have to be a ploy by someone powerful to get her to recreate whatever fury she brought down on Westworld in the first place, right?
R0GUE
AG
RossK10 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

RossK10 said:

That scene with Maeve walking through the facility was amazing.

Yep. Fantastic music. Anyonr know what that was? Original Ramin soundtrack? If so, give that man his Emmy already. Should've won it this year for the GoT finale alone.
I think it was "Motion Picture Soundtrack" by Radiohead
I really enjoyed "Fake Plastic Trees" during the opening scene.
bobinator
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

I've thought Bernard was a host from the beginning, just because something seems a little off with him, but I wouldn't say he almost certainly is a host. There hasn't been a ton of evidence given to us that indicates he's a host. If he ends up being real, there is nothing we can really point to and say "he can't be real..."
I mean I'd put the odds at him being a host at like 80/20 for.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Something tells me that Theresa is not the one manipulating things behind the scenes, or she is a pawn of some sort. Just felt way too easy that Elsie found out she was the one behind all of this. Either she is being framed or is being used by someone else. Just my $.02
TCTTS
AG
bobinator
AG
There's two things there.

1) We don't really know for sure that her loops are the same, just that they start the same.

but also

2) Perhaps her story is one of the most popular in the park? Like how popular roller coasters at amusement parks get upgraded but they don't change much. - "Oh man, when you get to WW the first time, you have to meet Dolores, it's a short narrative and good one to start out with..."
spanky
AG
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but the computer detected 5 anomalies in sector 17. The computer then confirmed that these were unregistered hosts. Is a dog considered a host?...because the family was only 2 kids and 2 parents. Ford would then be the other host, right?
Complete Idiot
I counted the dog.
Quinn
AG
Think the dog counted. Ford told the boy that he could fix up the dog, so presumably the dog is a host.
spanky
AG
Well, their nomenclature sucks. When I create my VR world, I will not be classifying hummingbirds and dogs in the same manner as virtual humans.
bangobango
AG
My off the wall theory:

Arnold was/is a "host" that Ford built. Arnold became self-aware and tried to "free" the other robots. Arnold is the man at the center of the maze. Because he was a host, he died and came back to life time and time again. He's hidden himself either physically or metaphorically from Ford within Westworld.

Who builds another grown man a gift of recreating the only happy memory of their childhood? That's more of a son to father type of gift. Ford, as Arnold's creator, is seen as the father. Then Arnold and Ford have some kind of falling out, and the catastrophe of thirty years prior happens.

OR Arnold made Ford and Arnold is the human and Ford is the host, and Ford built the robots that we saw? That could explain why the man previously identified as Arnold is his dad?
bangobango
AG
Raptor said:

The beginning and the present. What doesn't make sense to me is why then would Dolores have been given the same loop 30+ years apart? She's in the original loop wearing the blue dress on a normal day of getting groceries and painting with newcomers William/Logan and in the same loop and blue dress (albeit subtle differences like the can of condensed milk) with the MiB.

Seems like her going back to the same exact narrative would have to be a ploy by someone powerful to get her to recreate whatever fury she brought down on Westworld in the first place, right?
She has the same narrative and the other hooker that works the *****house with Maeve has the same narrative.
3rdGen2015
AG
I don't remember if this was mentioned explicitly in the show or not, but interviews with the show runners and some of the discoverwestworld site stuff say that all animals (with the notable exception of flies) are hosts.
bangobango
AG
Teacher_Ag said:

I knew I'd seen Teddy holding a pistol in something else before.

He was JWB in the Zoolander sequence explaining how the fashion industry was behind all major political assassinations.

You, know, I'm actually related to this guy by marriage. Maybe I should just make some calls and see if he'll give up some spoilers?
BQ_00
AG
So based on some of these scenarios, with the two timelines, the Bernard that is interacting with Delores could be Arnold, showing how Arnold started the catastrophe 30 years ago. And the the current Bernard is a host, a recreation of Arnold. Is that the thought?
LHIOB
AG
The only living things in WestWorld are flys
bangobango
AG
3rdGen2015 said:

I don't remember if this was mentioned explicitly in the show or not, but interviews with the show runners and some of the discoverwestworld site stuff say that all animals (with the notable exception of flies) are hosts.
Greyhound is the same dog Ford mentioned in his story last week about chasing and killing the cat. I think it's pretty much confirmed its a host, especially when he talks about repairing it after it is killed.
PooDoo
AG
How can you have any questions that William & Logan are an earlier time?

The logos should explain it clearly. All the old abandoned floors, the logo on the old computer system... is the same logo on everything when they came to the park.
mhayden
BQ_00 said:

So based on some of these scenarios, with the two timelines, the Bernard that is interacting with Delores could be Arnold, showing how Arnold started the catastrophe 30 years ago. And the the current Bernard is a host, a recreation of Arnold. Is that the thought?

I didn't even think about the two timelines would mean Bernard is actually Arnold early on.

It definitely would make more sense... There's certain scenes where it seems like people are just telling him what to do.

Then the scenes with Delores he seems to be far more hands on. Would also explain how he is able to have these "secret meetings" with Delores -- as Arnold he could have done whatever he wanted without question.

I like it.
bangobango
AG
BQ_00 said:

This kind of fits with what I was saying, if Ford created Arnold, and Arnold eventually rebelled, then Bernard could be his second attempt at creating the perfect companion for him. Or maybe somebody to run the park after Ford is gone?

There is sequencing in their name, also. -A-rnold is the first model. -B-ernard is the second model.

I still think Arnold is the man at the center of the maze, though, and Bernard is just walking down the same path of self-discovery Arnold went down thirty years prior.
BQ_00
AG
bangobango said:

BQ_00 said:

This kind of fits with what I was saying, if Ford created Arnold, and Arnold eventually rebelled, then Bernard could be his second attempt at creating the perfect companion for him. Or maybe somebody to run the park after Ford is gone?

There is sequencing in their name, also. -A-rnold is the first model. -B-ernard is the second model.

Or Arnold was a real person that no longer saw things the way Ford did, left or died, and then Ford re-created him in Bernard. Bernard is what Ford remembered of Arnold as his original partner.

I think your scenario is very plausible as well.
mazag08
AG
I really don't think Bernard is a host. Nor do I think he's related to Arnold in any way.

What if Logan is someone else? What if he's Arnold? The first death in the park of a non host. Knows the man in black. Man in black was there when he died.. MIB is William.. it would fit. Logan/ Arnold dies.. William/ MIB who he just named as his EVP takes over the company.
OldArmy71
AG
Here is a podcast that outlines the theory that Bernard is a host.
Bunk Moreland
bangobango said:

Raptor said:

She has the same narrative and the other hooker that works the *****house with Maeve has the same narrative.

Didn't the Asian worker dude tell Maeve that she's only been that for a year and a half or so? Also, Maeve clearly has flashbacks of a previous time when she appeared to be a mother out on the plains, and her family gets slaughtered I think.
bobinator
AG
Logan can't be Arnold, he talked about the partner dying right as the park was about to open or whatever in last week's episode.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.