*** WESTWORLD Season 1 (HBO) ***

357,804 Views | 2710 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sazerac
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Side note that i havent seen touched on, Maeve was digging out a REAL MF-ing bullet fragment from her stomach. SO the guns in the park clearly fire real projectiles. Wonder if they will touch on the how that works when the guns are shot at humans.

Proceed with the deeper discussion at hand.
R0GUE
AG
Does anyone else play video games or D&D? I feel like if you are familiar with the concept of alignment, there are definitely some analogies in this show with the "white hats and the black hats".

Like for example if you've ever played D&D you know they make you decide if your character is aligned good, evil or neutral (as well as on a spectrum of chaos and law). I laughed when McPoyle and his buddy got in the scrape about whether to take the guy back for his bounty, or to take him back to his gang. It's what always happens when Good and Evil PC's collide in D&D.

I feel like a lot of this season is going to be sorting who are the White hats and who are the Black Hats, not based on which they pick, but by who learns that the hosts have feelings and don't deserve to be treated like slaves. I think that the MiB will actually turn out to be a White Hat (for example we learned this week that he has a foundation that helps people with cancer, but he doesn't want to be reminded of it on his vacation). I think McPoyle will remain a White Hat, and his buddy a Black Hat, which will be his undoing when the place goes full Jurassic Park.

Also, I feel like going to Westworld would be a lot like most MMO's I've played. It would be great, if it weren't for all the other players out there ruining the experience....
PooDoo
AG
I think:

They are flashbacks not timelines.

During the flashbacks they go on autopilot and that is why time passes and things change. Like a robot day dream.

The MiB & MiB Jr & William aren't related but their paths will cross. MiB Jr is the son of the CEO whose company financed Dr. Ford and Arthur and is the guy the board sent to follow up on Ford.

Dolores found the gun she planted in the hay stack and the guy looked down because... oh chit, I wish I didn't leave my gun elsewhere.

The maze will grant the robot who exits it god powers in the game. Dolores will exit the maze and kill the MiB similar to the way she killed the guy in the barn. Or it just might cause a full scale robot revolution. Either way William or Dolores will kill the MiB.

Bernard is just a weird nerd human. Robot Bernard would explain why he wants to keep the meetings with Dolores secret but I don't buy it.

Wouldn't it be funny if Dr. Ford was just the 1st robot that made it through the maze, killed Arthur, and took over the park?

bangobango
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

Side note that i havent seen touched on, Maeve was digging out a REAL MF-ing bullet fragment from her stomach. SO the guns in the park clearly fire real projectiles. Wonder if they will touch on the how that works when the guns are shot at humans.

The physics of the entire park make no sense to me. How do they pull Dolores out in the middle of the night when she is on a camp out with a visitor? How do they make guns shoot real bullets that don't harm the visitors but kill the hosts?

The logistics behind it all do not add up to me, either. They're pulling all those bodies out every night and patching them up and having them back into place within a few hours? How? Would it not be more cost effective to just have replacement bodies and keep them on some kind of rotation?

Where is this park located? How do you walk through a door into a moving train? How do they keep visitors from leaving the park itself?

Part of me suspects that the park itself is not real and there is some kind of Matrix stuff going on, and by that I don't mean everyone is in the Matrix, but that to enter the park it is more of a mind type thing than actually physically entering the park. It would explain how Ford can seemingly control the park with nothing but his mind.
amercer
AG
That article is sort of what I was getting at a couple pages back when I said I didn't like any of the "big reveal" theories. This show is good enough without trying to trick the audience.
Complete Idiot
Probably important to note this is Science Fiction and some disbelief will need to be suspended. All good engineer questions, though.
amercer
AG
Also, Ford says all deaseases are cured right?

Soooooo, that's pretty dick considering you're talking to a guy who's kid died of some disease. Also kind of dick if you're talking to a robot and that's the backstory you gave him. And if all diseases are cured, what is the MIBs foundation doing?
LHIOB
AG
amercer said:

Soooooo, that's pretty dick considering you're talking to a guy who's kid died of some disease. Also kind of dick if you're talking to a robot and that's the backstory you gave him. And if all diseases are cured, what is the MIBs foundation doing?
Maybe they are the ones who funded it
bobinator
AG
bangobango said:

The physics of the entire park make no sense to me. How do they pull Dolores out in the middle of the night when she is on a camp out with a visitor? How do they make guns shoot real bullets that don't harm the visitors but kill the hosts?

The logistics behind it all do not add up to me, either. They're pulling all those bodies out every night and patching them up and having them back into place within a few hours? How? Would it not be more cost effective to just have replacement bodies and keep them on some kind of rotation?

Where is this park located? How do you walk through a door into a moving train? How do they keep visitors from leaving the park itself?

Part of me suspects that the park itself is not real and there is some kind of Matrix stuff going on, and by that I don't mean everyone is in the Matrix, but that to enter the park it is more of a mind type thing than actually physically entering the park. It would explain how Ford can seemingly control the park with nothing but his mind.
I don't think that conversation with Bernard and her being with William are necessarily concurrent. That conversation could have happened after other times her parents were killed at the house. She doesn't mention shooting the guy or anything, she just says she ran. Conceivably there could have been several times she escaped. She could just be remembering it now or something.

As for the train, I think the train was an elevator, moving up through the building and picking up people coming out of the changing rooms. You can see lights moving behind the door like it's going upwards, and then it emerges on the top floor onto a track and takes off into the park.

And they've already shown several elevators throughout the park where the managers can get in.
bobinator
AG
amercer said:

I think people might be reading too much into that line. I think he's talking about in the park with the hosts. His "world" so to speak. His creations don't have disease.
amercer
AG
I guess that's possible, but the statement is made in the context of a discussion of human evolution.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, and I think he thinks he's created the final form in the world he controls. I think he's hinting at the possibility of "downloading" someone into a robotic body, therefore keeping them alive.
3rdGen2015
AG
bangobango said:

The physics of the entire park make no sense to me. How do they pull Dolores out in the middle of the night when she is on a camp out with a visitor?
They don't. The editing might make it seem like that's what is happening, but they aren't concurrent events. They do everything in their power to make sure that the guests' immersion isn't broken.

How do they make guns shoot real bullets that don't harm the visitors but kill the hosts?
They're called "simunitions". Basically they feel like paint balls to guests, but something behind the scenes in a magical black box tells the host they got shot.

They aren't replaced every day. They are replaced every time the story resets. This could be days or weeks, we aren't really sure.

Where is this park located?
We don't know yet. It doesn't really matter, IMO. Most likely either an island, another planet, or in an undersea biosphere.

How do you walk through a door into a moving train?
It wasn't moving when they got on. We don't know exactly how it works, but I imagined it being like an elevator going to every floor and picking the guests up.

How do they keep visitors from leaving the park itself?
See park location.

I don't buy the "park is in VR space" theory. I think it is all physical, otherwise why would they need to clean and repair the hosts at all? Ford can control the park because he created the park, much like how a programmer knows exactly how their program works and can work around things nobody else can.
My answers in bold. Hopefully it helps clear some stuff up.
schmendeler
AG
...except that maeve had a real bullet in her gut.
bobinator
AG
schmendeler said:

...except that maeve had a real bullet in her gut.
This is a problem... no question. The only way to make this make sense is if the bullets themselves can register if they're heading toward a host or a guest and then explode in air or something if it's a guest or be a real bullet if it's a host. The guests obviously have some sort of implant or something where they can be tracked. But that seems like a ludicrous way of making that work.
LHIOB
AG
They have to fire some sort of projectile since the bullets break bottles and glasses.
bangobango
AG
3rdGen2015 said:

bangobango said:

The physics of the entire park make no sense to me. How do they pull Dolores out in the middle of the night when she is on a camp out with a visitor?
They don't. The editing might make it seem like that's what is happening, but they aren't concurrent events. They do everything in their power to make sure that the guests' immersion isn't broken.

How do they make guns shoot real bullets that don't harm the visitors but kill the hosts?
They're called "simunitions". Basically they feel like paint balls to guests, but something behind the scenes in a magical black box tells the host they got shot.

They aren't replaced every day. They are replaced every time the story resets. This could be days or weeks, we aren't really sure.

Where is this park located?
We don't know yet. It doesn't really matter, IMO. Most likely either an island, another planet, or in an undersea biosphere.

How do you walk through a door into a moving train?
It wasn't moving when they got on. We don't know exactly how it works, but I imagined it being like an elevator going to every floor and picking the guests up.

How do they keep visitors from leaving the park itself?
See park location.

I don't buy the "park is in VR space" theory. I think it is all physical, otherwise why would they need to clean and repair the hosts at all? Ford can control the park because he created the park, much like how a programmer knows exactly how their program works and can work around things nobody else can.
My answers in bold. Hopefully it helps clear some stuff up.

1. You don't know if it's concurrent or not. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

2. They don't tell them they got shot, they shoot them. They pulled a bullet out of the hooker girl.

3. They specifically said something this last episode that indicated Dolores should've been reset at the end of the day that made it sound like her story should've reset. Things that they have said and done makes me believes the guests enter the park on a rolling basis, if that's the case then they are going to be pulling bodies out every night. Again, some of the logistics of all of this doesn't make sense to me. The only way you could manage it where they never enter the park while the guest are there is if everyone entered and left at the same time. I don't think that's the case. Just a quick example, the last episode the big shootout in the town was cut short because they had a couple of families, presumably with young children, going to the town. They then entered the park and removed all the bodies. Then they indicated that the guest would be thrown into jail only to be quickly broken out.

4. Yes, a programmer can do some things nobody else can do, but can he do them with nothing but his mind? Can he just look at a computer screen and make it perform operations without touching the keyboard? That's essentially what Ford was doing in that scene.
Mathguy64
AG
Ford was manipulating the servants with hand/finger gestures. Same way he did with the snake.
mhayden
They can enter the park when guests are there, they just need to make sure that the guests won't be in any of the areas they are accessing.
Post removed:
by user
jabberwalkie09
AG
That's actually something that occurred to me for Bernard at first.
LHIOB
AG
The White Wolf
Interesting quote from episode 3 with Ford talking with Bernard. He says "It's a tricky thing... weaving the old with the new" - I haven't seen this quote talked about anywhere, but I find it very interesting in relation with the theories about William potentially being The Man in Black and us seeing things from two totally different time periods.

I do like this theory and there are several little details that make me think it is most probable right now. I also think Bernard is likely a recreated Arnold. I believe every character in the show (besides Ford and Man in Black) will go through periods of questioning their reality, whether human or not.

The biggest question from the start and has been reiterated several times is "Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality?" We saw Mr. Abernathy do this in the first episode and we're beginning to see Maeve do it now. I think before it's all said and done, we're going to see several other characters go through this and likely it will be with characters we assumed were/are human. To me it seems very likely that Bernard is a Host. But like the intense scene with Ford and Theresa at the plantation, surrounded by tons of Hosts doing his bidding, it's not too crazy to assume that all of "management" isn't real...
Ranger222
AG
So everyone is a robot, except for maybe cigarette lady who is there to watch over everything for "the board" and of course the guests.

I too thought the stories reset after every day, since new guests entering the park are coming in every day on the train and not necessarily all at once every two weeks (or whatever the time spent in the park is). Some storylines, like Dolores' ride into town to get painting supplies, happen every single day and are kind of like "level 1" for the park guests, while other storylines such as Hector coming in to rob the saloon happen periodically (once a week or every two weeks) and may be set off by some other event happening within the park due to the activity of the guests
bangobango
AG
dlance said:

My theory...

Arnold created a host that looks like Ford. Arnold killed real Ford. Arnold uploads himself into host Ford. Current Ford is really Arnold...who "went mad".
OR,

there is a faction of hosts that have autonomy and are vying for freedom from the park overlords. They're a very secretive group and they only let other hosts into the group. Arnold had been trying for years to locate the faction and wipe them out, but the leader of the rebels can read minds and any agent, host or human, that he sent in to infiltrate the group was quickly snuffed out and killed.

That's when he got the idea to upload his consciousness into Ford, a host, and then wipe all his memories and implant new ones that make him think he really is Ford. Another agent, played by Sharon Stone, is his fictitious wife, and she is tracking his every move, subtly manipulating him and making sure he stays on track. When Ford finally makes contact with the rebel group, the overlords, who have been tracking Ford's every move, will sweep in and wipe out the rebel hosts, then they'll restore Arnold's memories to Ford and he will remember who he is and they will all celebrate in Hawaii.
mhayden
The problem with a lot of these theories is that i already watched Battlestar Galactica.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
The White Wolf said:

Interesting quote from episode 3 with Ford talking with Bernard. He says "It's a tricky thing... weaving the old with the new" - I haven't seen this quote talked about anywhere, but I find it very interesting in relation with the theories about William potentially being The Man in Black and us seeing things from two totally different time periods.

I do like this theory and there are several little details that make me think it is most probable right now. I also think Bernard is likely a recreated Arnold. I believe every character in the show (besides Ford and Man in Black) will go through periods of questioning their reality, whether human or not.

The biggest question from the start and has been reiterated several times is "Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality?" We saw Mr. Abernathy do this in the first episode and we're beginning to see Maeve do it now. I think before it's all said and done, we're going to see several other characters go through this and likely it will be with characters we assumed were/are human. To me it seems very likely that Bernard is a Host. But like the intense scene with Ford and Theresa at the plantation, surrounded by tons of Hosts doing his bidding, it's not too crazy to assume that all of "management" isn't real...

Jesus, William is not the MiB. Dolores has flashbacks of Ford's new storyline while with William. It makes literally no sense for her to have those memories if this is taking place 30 years before the MiB storyline.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jabberwalkie09
AG
free_mhayden said:

The problem with a lot of these theories is that i already watched Battlestar Galactica.
And they didn't stick the landing in BSG for the finale.
The White Wolf
Which flashback does she have of Ford's new storyline while with William?
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
The church flashback while in the town that the MiB massacred
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The White Wolf
Yeah I remember something happening there but didn't necessarily think that it was a flashback to the new story line. I could very easily see it not being true, but the William and MiB theory does seem interesting to me still just because it gives the backstory of him and would explain the connection between him and Dolores perfectly. Even when she has that flashback in episode 3 where he's walking through the barn door, he says "Why don't we reacquaint ourselves, Dolores? Start at the beginning." The very next scene is her running and falling into William's arms.

Now I get that it wouldn't make sense for her to have that "flashback" there and then runoff while somehow being in the past 30 years earlier. But I think it could be argued with the loops and flashbacks we're seeing, it's possible that these events aren't on a clear cut linear path. Added with the fact that if Bernard and other people in management turn out to be hosts as well, it isn't unlikely that some of these events and conversations might not be in what we assume is the "present" - however, I'm sure this theory will all be resolved soon enough.
Post removed:
by user
G Martin 87
AG
AtlAg05 said:

The could go the whole inception route, the west is the first layer, but the command center is the second. Guests can play cowboy or be a park employee for a day that oversees the park for other guests.

The big reveal will be some kid playing Westworld Tycoon on his PC.
Or Bernard's autistic son playing with a Westworld snowglobe.
La Fours
AG
I only skimmed this thread. But did anyone speculate that TMiB is the cofounder Ford mentioned in the last episode that is no longer part of westworld?
AliasMan02
AG
Three interesting things to consider:

- Bernard asking Theresa "is this all I'm good for" lends to the theory that he is (perhaps unknowingly) a Host. Him being used for sex and then her leaving shows a lot of parallels.

- Ford mentions that Arnold preferred the company of Hosts, but Arnold and Ford were friends. That's interesting.

- The doll dropped by the Indian girl is proof that Ford has intentionally allowed at least some Hosts to remember past "lives" and that aspect is part of his new narrative. Maeve's drawings also show that this has been in the works for much longer than since the update with the reveries.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.