Daily Charts

595,980 Views | 2786 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AggieUSMC
PJYoung
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
wessimo said:

Yikes, numbers not really looking great. Will be interesting to see what the curve does over the next couple of weeks.

Projections - like everybody expected - are certainly going up as the country opens up.
Keegan99
AG
It's mainly the panhandle outbreaks, along with a bit of a spike in Dallas.

The Austin+SA / Houston / DFW portion is still below their mid-April peak. What's changed is the rest of the state.

Notably, the spike last week in FW seems to have subsided a bit.
Old Buffalo
AG
PJYoung said:

wessimo said:

Yikes, numbers not really looking great. Will be interesting to see what the curve does over the next couple of weeks.

Projections - like everybody expected - are certainly going up as the country opens up.
Again, raw numbers are meaningless without context. The more we increase testing the more cases we will identify.

ETFan
HotardAg07 said:

It appears that the deaths data is lifting off the backend of the IHME model.

This model from https://covid19-projections.com/ appears to be doing a better job of predicting the uncertainty on the tail.

Day of the week trend basically in line with the last 4 weeks.

I like watching this one because in NYC they are tracking deaths on the day it happened, not on the day it was reported. As you can see here, the peak in actual deaths in NYC was about 17 days after the lock down. However, the reported peak looks later due to the lag in reporting.

IHME just updated their projections. Went from 72k by August 4th to 134k by August 4th. Putting it more in line with most other models.

Not good news on the numbers, but glad to see the model the Whitehouse prefers catching up to reality.
Keegan99
AG
The new IHME model projects 968 deaths in Texas by May 4th, with a range of 931-1030.

The actual number is 884.

How is that catching up to reality?
MBAR
AG
Keegan99 said:

The new IHME model projects 968 deaths in Texas by May 4th, with a range of 931-1030.

Thats a pretty damn minor deviation in the modeling. They're not prescribing it what it should be, they're running it again from the start with some of the variables accounted for since we know what they are. Or at least that's how I'd approach it. Being off by ~50-150 is pretty meaningless, IMO. Focus on orders of magnitude.
Fitch
AG
MBAR said:

Keegan99 said:

Thats a pretty damn minor deviation in the modeling. They're not prescribing it what it should be, they're running it again from the start with some of the variables accounted for since we know what they are. Or at least that's how I'd approach it. Being off by ~50-150 is pretty meaningless, IMO. Focus on orders of magnitude.

Winner winner chicken dinner.
Keegan99
AG
Sure, if you want to give them a full decimal point, since we're between 100 and 10,000 deaths, I guess it's good?

Realty vs their center-line projection is off by roughly 10% right out of the gate, and reality is solidly outside their window of confidence.

Their model included all data through May 1st. The model vastly overshot a mere 72 hours into the future.

But if you want to see really bad modeling, look at their Wyoming forecast. Wyoming has had 7 deaths for well over a week. The IHME model is predicting 6 total deaths for Wyoming through August 4th, which would mean -1 deaths over the next three months.

That could be considered an improvement from a two weeks ago when the model was predicting 250+ deaths for Wyoming by the end of this month.
Old Buffalo
AG
I mean, I know a guy who beat death once.....
johnnyblaze36
AG
15 states had ZERO deaths today. It's time to get back to life as usual. Let any business that wants to open do so and all sports leagues should resume play by the weekend.

BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Keegan99 said:

Sure, if you want to give them a full decimal point, since we're between 100 and 10,000 deaths, I guess it's good?

Realty vs their center-line projection is off by roughly 10% right out of the gate, and reality is solidly outside their window of confidence.

Their model included all data through May 1st. The model vastly overshot a mere 72 hours into the future.

But if you want to see really bad modeling, look at their Wyoming forecast. Wyoming has had 7 deaths for well over a week. The IHME model is predicting 6 total deaths for Wyoming through August 4th, which would mean -1 deaths over the next three months.

That could be considered an improvement from a two weeks ago when the model was predicting 250+ deaths for Wyoming by the end of this month.
perfect example of trying to make models do what they aren't designed to do. texas is a good example, and wyoming a great example of why complex statistics based modeling is incredibly difficult on small data sets. with small numbers and data sets one minor variation causes a large amount of noise in the data. the bigger the data set, the smoother that noise gets and the better modeling and forecasts gets. take this hympotehtical scenario. for 4 days in a row you have the following total cases:
  • day 1: 1
  • day 2: 2
  • day 3: 4
  • day 4: 8
now look at two scenarios for day 5. one has day 5 at 16 cases, the other has it at 15. that 1 case difference causes the projections 5 days later to diverge by nearly 11%. ten days out it's over 18%.

you have to look at these numbers through a qualitative lens and decide, did the amount the model was wrong cause the decision on how to proceed change. in both the Wyoming and the Texas examples, regardless of which side of the decision to open things back up you are on, I don't see the modeling error to be significant enough to change that decision. in both cases, they were "in the ballpark". from a policy making level 250 deaths and 7 deaths across an entire state are functionally equivalent. same thing in Texas
TXAggie2011
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

15 states had ZERO deaths today. It's time to get back to life as usual. Let any business that wants to open do so and all sports leagues should resume play by the weekend.
Those 15 states are Alaska, Wyoming, Montana, Hawaii, Vermont, Maine, West Virginia, North Dakota, Idaho, New Hampshire, South Dakota, Oregon, Oklahoma, Utah, and Arizona.

I'm not saying I wouldn't start opening things back up. I'm saying if the situation in New York shouldn't dictate policy elsewhere, the situation in nearly all of those states shouldn't dictate policy elsewhere.

Arizona is the only semi-big one with any type of sprawling metropolis. Maybe Portland, too.

Today, Arizona reported more deaths than they have on any other day.
Premium
AG
Looks like they doubled up USA total projected deaths:
https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america
Bruce Almighty
AG
Premium said:

That 60-70K was never going to happen.
MAROON
AG
they changed their model methodology. You can expect it will get changed again in the future.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
94chem
Bruce Almighty said:

Premium said:

Especially since it already has. I'm thinking more like 200,000 by end of July, but who knows. A lot of that model assumes that people will make good choices. I have teenagers and I read texags, so my view is a bit cynical.
Smokedraw01
Bruce Almighty said:

Premium said:

We've hit over 70k, right?
"If you run into an ******* in the morning, you ran into an *******. If you run into *******s all day, you're the *******." – Raylan Givens, "Justified."
culdeus
AG
Doesn't Wyoming have roughly the same population as Fort Worth?
Fitch
AG
Confirmed Active Cases Around Texas (5.09.20)

If you live in a green county, you have five or fewer known active cases in your county. Your a phase ahead of the rest of the state.
  • Yellow: 6-100 active cases
  • Orange: 100-200 active cases
  • Red: 200-400 active cases
  • Purple: 400-800 active cases
  • Black: 800+ active cases

Fitch
AG
Texas has started publishing estimated active case data, i.e. confirmed cases less estimated recovered and deaths.

Per the State health department website formula for estimates is as follows:
  • Total Confirmed Cases
  • Less: Any Deaths
  • Of the remaining, estimate 20% will require hospitalization / 80% will not
  • Hospitalized case recovery time is ~32 days
  • Non-hospitalized case recovery time is ~14 days

Premium
AG
LOL wonder what kind of bs can come out of comparing new "estimated" cases based on an unbiased "formula".
Fitch
AG
County-level data are pretty interesting...

DALLAS/FT. WORTH AREA

HOUSTON AREA

I-35 CORRIDOR

PANHANDLE

BORDER COUNTIES

Fitch
AG
To clarify, the new cases are confirmed tests reported to the state. The active cases are net of the estimated recovered cases, which is dramatically lower than total confirmed cases and provides a relatively better real-time look at where counties are. It's pretty much impossible to track when every confirmed case recovers, so the estimate is as good as it's gonna get.
Fitch
AG
This last one struck me as strange. Fatality rates as a % of total known infections as been floating around 2.75%. It should be closer to ~1% based on global data. Probably means we're not testing enough, i.e. the denominator is too low.

That said, testing is also really ramping up. To date, Texas has performed and received results for 343,700 tests. There are an additional 133,400 pending tests right now, or and additional ~40% on top of those reported to date.

74Ag1
AG
Fitch said:

Confirmed Active Cases Around Texas (5.09.20)

If you live in a green county, you have five or fewer known active cases in your county. Your a phase ahead of the rest of the state.
  • Yellow: 6-100 active cases
  • Orange: 100-200 active cases
  • Red: 200-400 active cases
  • Purple: 400-800 active cases
  • Black: 800+ active cases

This is the way it needs to be tracked from now on.... Active Cases
I'm in the Green BTW
Philip J Fry
AG
Yeah, that's badass. Would like to see an animation of active cases from February to now
agz win
AG
Why is Walker County red?
KidDoc
AG
agz win said:

I am pretty sure they have a nursing home outbreak.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgsMyDude
AG
agz win said:

2 above yours

Red: 200-400 active cases
BiochemAg97
AG
Fitch said:

This last one struck me as strange. Fatality rates as a % of total known infections as been floating around 2.75%. It should be closer to ~1% based on global data. Probably means we're not testing enough, i.e. the denominator is too low.

That said, testing is also really ramping up. To date, Texas has performed and received results for 343,700 tests. There are an additional 133,400 pending tests right now, or and additional ~40% on top of those reported to date.

Our percent of tests that are positive has dropped from ~10% to about ~6%. Doubling the number of tests didn't turn up very many additional positives. I don't think increased testing is going to get you where you want to go.
Fitch
AG

Interesting (but unsurprising) correlation pattern
Aggie71013
AG
How long will it take to return results on all those pending tests? We could be in a lock down for months waiting on results from a month ago for people who aren't even sick anymore.
Fitch
AG

To your point, Texas just about doubled the daily tests and halved the % positive rate. To me that would suggest there's a relatively steady-state of case increases (flat growth or R(t)= ~1).
Fitch
AG
They've been taking anywhere from 2-14 days to turn around, though reportedly they've been doing better about getting turnaround within a week. It's pretty much a crap shoot from what I can tell.
Keegan99
AG
The problem with a rolling average of hospitalizations is that if length of stay increases a bit, the number gets inflated. It's a good metric for tracking hospital capacity, but not for tracking the number of people needing hospitalization.

FWIW, the last four Monday morning censuses from DSHS:

4/20 - 1471
4/27 - 1542
5/4 - 1540
5/11 - 1525

That's flat for two weeks.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.