* Official World Cup 2022 Thread *

159,973 Views | 2610 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So the way we've done major tourneys in the past is to have one major thread for all news and events leading up to the start of the tournament and the group stage games. We still do separate game threads for US games and we've even done threads for the later rounds or games, but if we do new threads for each stage or each non-US game, the board gets hugely cluttered and you can't find much. Do what you want, but I'll try to start the US game threads a couple days before each match.

Anywho, the WC draw is tomorrow at 12:00 noon ET! (Supposedly it'll stream on the FIFA website and on Peacock here in the US.) There's a couple of rules about nations getting grouped together - there can be no more than two Euro teams in a group and all other federations are protected from being in a group with another team from the same federation (Mexico, USA, and Canada will all be in separate groups). Edit to add finalized groups below.

Edit to add that there are currently two remaining international windows on the FIFA calendar: a four-match window May 30 - June 14 and a two-match window Sept. 19-27. Then the WC officially starts on Nov. 21 and ends with the final on Dec. 18. Not sure how much lead time we get between leagues pausing and that first WC group match - EDIT it looks like about a week based on this graphic below.

Official FIFA 2022 World Cup Groups

Group A:
Qatar
Ecuador
Senegal
Netherlands

Group B:
England
Iran
UNITED STATES OF ****ING AMERICA!
European Playoff (Wales/Scotland/Ukraine)

Group C:
Argentina
Saudi Arabia
Mexico
Poland

Group D:
France
IC Playoff 1 (UAE/Peru/Australia)
Denmark
Tunisia

Group E:
Spain
IC Playoff 2 (Costa Rica/New Zealand)
Germany
Japan

Group F:
Belgium
Canada
Morocco
Croatia

Group G:
Brazil
Serbia
Switzerland
Cameroon

Group H:
Portugal
Ghana
Uruguay
South Korea
wangus12
AG
I promise to make the individual Group threads when we get to October

Official FIFA 2022 World Cup Groups

Group A:
Qatar
Ecuador
Senegal
Netherlands

Group B:
England
Iran
UNITED STATES OF ****ING AMERICA!
European Playoff (Wales/Scotland/Ukraine)

Group C:
Argentina
Saudi Arabia
Mexico
Poland

Group D:
France
IC Playoff 1 (UAE/Peru/Australia)
Denmark
Tunisia

Group E:
Spain
IC Playoff 2 (Costa Rica/New Zealand)
Germany
Japan

Group F:
Belgium
Canada
Morocco
Croatia

Group G:
Brazil
Serbia
Switzerland
Cameroon

Group H:
Portugal
Ghana
Uruguay
South Korea
jeffk
akm91
AG
What are the odds that we end up in a group with Ghana?
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Out in Left Field
AG
I can't wait to know who we're playing! ...then wait another 7 and a half months!
jeffk
AG
akm91 said:

1 in 6? IDK.
wangus12
AG
Out in Left Field said:

I can't wait to know who we're playing! ...then wait another 7 and a half months!
Well its usually 6.5. Draw is typically early to mid December for the summer World Cups
Out in Left Field
AG
Get outta here with your facts!
AustinScubaAg
AG
jeffk said:

akm91 said:

1 in 6? IDK.

based on math yes based on past history 100%
Detective Jake Peralta
AG
If you can't wait another 24 hours for the draw and want to get overly excited or nervous...here's a simulator

https://draw.inker.one/#/wc/gs
fig96
AG
FIFA Congress meeting today.

jeffk
AG
I watched the whole thing. Everything after the Norwegian fed president was an exercise in gas lighting. Why are we talking about human rights? This is football! Sure, the Qataris were abusing workers, but they're not doing it as much now because of FIFA! I can't believe people are still talking about something so trivial as human rights when there's a World Cup to celebrate!

Just gross.

fig96
AG
Yup, it's pretty awful. There have also been several FAs speaking out about this and that will be calling attention to human rights issues in Qatar with messaging on their gear and via other avenues, it's gonna be interesting.
jeffk
AG
Okay, here are our draw stats:

Dre_00
The good news is that there's no one in Pot 3 and 4 that makes me go "oh ****". Sure we could lose to any of Ghana, Cameroon, Serbia, Poland, and more but all of those opponents are beatable. The joys of being in Pot 2 rather than Pot 3.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Quote:

The USA's starting lineups during those games averaged 23 years, 302 days, which is the youngest in team history for a qualifying cycle.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Detective Jake Peralta said:

If you can't wait another 24 hours for the draw and want to get overly excited or nervous...here's a simulator

I jsut did a "fast draw" on that simulator, and we got Brazil, Ghana, and Serbia.... no way we make QF with that

Next fast draw- Ghana, Serbia, and Spain

3rd time! Qatar, Serbia, and Ecuador (give me this please)
kylewhitener
So group B is absolutely the best group to be drawn to, right? Since that group is matched with Qatar's group?

Edit: assuming you get to the round of 16 that is. I guess if you want the best chance to get to the round of 16, you'd want to be in group A
AustinScubaAg
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Detective Jake Peralta said:

I jsut did a "fast draw" on that simulator, and we got Brazil, Ghana, and Serbia.... no way we make QF with that

Next fast draw- Ghana, Serbia, and Spain

3rd time! Qatar, Serbia, and Ecuador (give me this please)
I have seen a fair number of brutal fast Draws. France, Iran, Ecuador in Group B was a decent draw for us as long as it is not a repeat of 1998.
akm91
AG
No way it happens but I did the fast draw and ended up with US in Group A along with Tunisia, Qatar and UEFA
AustinScubaAg
AG
Just looking at the pots looks like there could be 2 teams that should be in Pot 3 in Pot 4 (wales or Ukraine and Peru). By setting the draw before the playoff there are some nasty draw options for the US and Mexico.
wangus12
AG
akm91 said:

No way it happens but I did the fast draw and ended up with US in Group A along with Tunisia, Qatar and UEFA
I had one yesterday that was Qatar, USA, Morocco & Ukraine
AustinScubaAg
AG
Honestly the pot system is broken. If the goal is to balance the groups don't put restrictions on the Draw or just use and S curve.

S curve Groups

brazil
Wales
Senegal
Ghana

Belgium
Croatia
Iran
Qatar

France
USA
Peru
Costa Rica

Argentina
Switzerland
Japan
Saudi Arabia

England
Uruguay
Morocco
Ecuador

Spain
Germany
Serbia
Canada

Portugal
Denmark
Poland
Cameroon

Mexico
Netherlands
South Korea
Tunisia

Just looking at the Mexico group shows how flawed the FIFA ranking are.
jeffk
AG
I don't think that creating balanced groups is the only factor in play. World Cup group stage gives us new or rare matches between teams that don't usually see each other in major competitions. That's part of the fun for me.
jeffk
AG
Helpful graphic:

akm91
AG
So it looks like there are only 6 matches available for the USMNT before WC? Wow, not a lot of time to jell!
gougler08
AG
C'mon Group A
TheMasterplan
Please please please don't get injured anybody important.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, not long but that seems about on par with what they'd normally get with qualifying finishing in October and the summer WC starting in June.
aggiephoenix02
Thanks for keeping the tradition alive, jeffk. You starting the threads helped the USA make it to the World Cup. Keep up the great work!
jeffk
AG
Happy to have an opportunity to serve.
Seven Costanza
AG
I understand giving the host an automatic bid, but automatically putting them in Pot 1 has always been stupid.
fig96
AG
USMNT Fan Devastated As Team Makes World Cup

Quote:

"I'm just done, DONE," stated Andrews to his Twitter account @reformUSSFUSMNT. "I've been waging this campaign to bring around the structural changes that will be necessary for the USMNT to compete on a global level and their success has shown that the team, the sport and this federation will never succeed."
jeffk
AG
Pretty cool thread about how young this USMNT is.

akm91
AG
This is mind boggling: 3 STDEV younger than the nations that qualified!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.