***Official USMNT-WCQ Octagonal Thread***

192,921 Views | 3020 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cruzdoggie
Seven Costanza
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mexico beating Panama on Wednesday would go a long way in creating a nice separation between the top 3 (assuming the US beats Honduras).
Rudyjax
AG
Seven Costanza said:

Mexico beating Panama on Wednesday would go a long way in creating a nice separation between the top 3 (assuming the US beats Honduras).

That would mean rooting for them.
oragator
Mexico has four of their last five at home and has already played Canada twice.
Canada has three of their last five on the road (and three of their last four after Sunday), but have already played Mexico.
We have three of our last five on the road and still have to go to Mexico and to Canada.

I think if form holds Mexico will win the group, Canada second and us third. But if we find a way to win on Sunday we could finish second.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, I really think this Canada match will determine our finishing spot. Win and we could finish first. Lose and we're likely finishing in second or third. Canada is playing really well and I don't see them dropping many points through the rest of their matches.

I think we held Pepi out last night to save him for Canada. I think our back four and center mids will be okay versus Canada's attackers, but our wings and forwards have to take better advantage of their chances. We just lack a clinicalness around the box that will really hurt us against good teams. If we improve our finishing, I could see us winning a close one. If not, I bet we see another scoreless draw.
oh no
AG
Dest and McKinnie came up lame and limping very late in the match yesterday. Need them healthy in two days. Big drop off at RB from Dest to Cannon and one of the main problems for USMNT is a big drop off in the 4-3-3 midfield any time we don't have MMA. McKinnie and Adams might be the best american soccer players right now. Pulisic was almost a liability with too many touches and giveaways.
jeffk
AG
I know playing CP on the right can cause some problems defensively because he doesn't cover as well for Dest, but I really do think CP plays better from the right than the left wing. From the left, he tries to beat guys inside and dribble across the teeth of the defensive line, but when he's on the right, he stays wider to win 1v1 duels and is quick enough to get into the box further up the field. I think he was pressing last night and waiting too long for that perfect shot.
Legal Custodian
AG
As of now, the magic # for points is sitting at 11. That's to make sure we are in the top 3 and don't have to play the play-in game.

So a 3-2-0 record the rest of the way will ensure that we get in. Anything less than that and we'll need Panama to not go perfect the rest of the way. Panama has matches in this window against Jamaica and Mexico. Hopefully they get 3 or less points. If we can get at least 4 points, then we'd be looking at our magic number being 4 points going into the final 3 matches where we face Mexico, Panama, & Costa Rica. If Panama can be held to 1 point, and we get 6 points (winning against Canada and Honduras) than we could have our spot guaranteed by Wednesday of next week barring whatever Costa Rica does.
carl spacklers hat
oragator said:

Costa Rica did hold on. Good news and maybe bad news for the US, I was hoping for a tie.

Standings:

CANADA 19
US 18
Mexico 17
Panama 14
Costa Rica 12

So we are now 4 points clear of fourth and still host Panama. But it increases the odds that Costa Rica will have something to play for when we go down there for our last match.
Costa Rica, unless they have pulled a 180 in the last 3 months, is hot garbage. There is absolutely nothing to fear in playing CR.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
Pahdz
Rudyjax
AG

Quote:

There is absolutely nothing to fear in playing CR.
Have you seen the inconsistency with our team?
oragator
Well we've never won there in qualifying, so it really hasn't mattered how good or bad we both are. It's kind of been a house of horrors, last cycle we lost 4-0 I think.
So I really would not like them to be within a point or 3 of Panama going into that game.
But maybe our team does us all a solid and clinches before that.
oh no
AG
I do think the Honduras squad we play next Wednesday is better than the one that they put together the last couple of WCQ windows in the fall simply because Elis is back.
PatAg
AG
The goal should definitely be to have qualified before the last game. (Last 2 games would be even better)
ChipFTAC01
AG
If we draw with Canada, beat Honduras and lose to Mesico that will put us on 22 points (with 6 more up for grabs over the last two games). I think the bottom 4 are all eliminated by then. That just leaves Panama who finish with @USA and v Canada.

I think we comfortably.
Rudyjax
AG
PatAg said:

The goal should definitely be to have qualified before the last game. (Last 2 games would be even better)

I think they're in for the drama and will make us sweat.
oh no
AG
I think we'll be sweating going into the final 3 match days and I'm afraid we'll end up having to sweat going into the last game.

Funny to think about - we weren't even really sweating in 2017... didn't even need a win at already eliminated T&T- just a point. Even without a point, either in or into the play-in match as long as Mexico beat Honduras at home. I wasn't even really sweating until the OG by Omar in T&T. Remember how convenient it was for Mex to concede 3 goals and lose to Honduras while we were failing to score a second one against T&T?
JJxvi
AG
I doubt it. I think it's more likely that we virtually assure qualification by winning our next game than it is that Panama will gain points on us in the next 4 games.
JJxvi
AG
Costa Rica needs a virtual miracle to be within 3 points of us by the final match day.
oh no
AG
JJxvi said:

Costa Rica needs a virtual miracle to be within 3 points of us by the final match day.
concacaf can make miracles happen if it hurts USA.
Rudyjax
AG
oh no said:

JJxvi said:

concacaf can make miracles happen if it hurts USA.
oragator
They don't need to be within three points of us for that game to matter for them, only within three points of Panama. And if three points or less separates us and Panama then we aren't free and clear either.
Good news is we have a large goal differential over both, so a tie on points and we are likely winning the tiebreaker.
JJxvi
AG
I doubt it'll matter
ADJME7002
AG
22 points get us in on GD.

23 and in free and clear.
jeffk
AG
Game thread is a go
Aston94
AG
Tomorrow in the Octagon:

Current Standings:
1. Canada 19 points
2. USA 18 pts
3. Mexico 17 pts
4. Panama 14 pts
5. Costa Rica 12 points
6. Jamaica 7 points
7. El Salvador 6 pts
8 Honduras 3 pts

Thursday's word of the day was separation. The top 3 teams continued to separate themselves from the lower tier. Looks like for now we have our top 3 and then 2 teams battling it out for the 4th place spot.

Sunday's s Matches:
2:05 pm. Canada v. USA (Hamilton). Paramount +

5:00 pm Mexico v. Costa Rica (Mexico City)
Paramount +

5:05pm Panama v. Jamaica (Panama City) Paramount+

6:05pm Honduras v. El Salvador (San Pedro Sula) Paramount +

So looks like a Sunday full of cursing at the platform that is Paramount +.

Mexico plays Costa Rica and Panama at Azteca over the next two matches, so Mexico wins will mean clear separation for top 3.
TRM
AG
Aston94 said:

Sunday's s Matches:
2:05 pm. Canada v. USA (Hamilton). Paramount +, Telemundo/Universo

5:00 pm Mexico v. Costa Rica (Mexico City)
Paramount +, Univision

5:05pm Panama v. Jamaica (Panama City) Paramount+, Universo

6:05pm Honduras v. El Salvador (San Pedro Sula) Paramount +, Universo

So looks like a Sunday full of cursing at the platform that is Paramount +.

Mexico plays Costa Rica and Panama at Azteca over the next two matches, so Mexico wins will mean clear separation for top 3.
Added the Spanish language options.
ChipFTAC01
AG
We just got paramount+ in the last month or so (when my BIL subscribed via our Amazon account that for some reason is signed in on his TV despite them having their own prime account). On Thursday night I tried to switch over to the Canada game after our game was over but couldn't find any live games, only replays.

ANY paramount+ subscribers that can help me navigate it?
jeffk
AG
The menu system is hot garbage. I often have to exit the whole program and refresh it to get new games to show up.
Mathguy64
AG
Quote:

I think these are behind closed doors? They were given another 2 game penalty from FIFA for racial abuse and throwing items at players from the stands. I just don't remember when it was to start.
Aston94
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

We just got paramount+ in the last month or so (when my BIL subscribed via our Amazon account that for some reason is signed in on his TV despite them having their own prime account). On Thursday night I tried to switch over to the Canada game after our game was over but couldn't find any live games, only replays.

One of the menus is for live tv. But who knows with Paramount+, they could have forgotten to list the games.

Soccer is very secondary for the site, it is set up for watching movies and shows, ala Netflix, so live TV just doesn't do well on the platform.

Aston94
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Quote:

I think these are behind closed doors? They were given another 2 game penalty from FIFA for racial abuse and throwing items at players from the stands. I just don't remember when it was to start.
Just looked this up, you are correct. Both games will be behind closed doors.

The interesting thing about that punishment is that, yes it punishes Mexico, but it also punishes the other teams in the group who don't get to play them behind closed doors. Panama and Costa Rica now have a competitive advantage over the US because they essentially play Mex in a neutral setting while we have to play at a capacity Azteca.

Thunder18
AG
That's why they should've been docked points instead
jeffk
AG
Long but good read on Yedlin.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states-usa/story/4578970/why-deandre-yedlinusmnt-staris-happy-about-mls-return-after-seven-years-in-europe
Rudyjax
AG
Aston94 said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

One of the menus is for live tv. But who knows with Paramount+, they could have forgotten to list the games.

Soccer is very secondary for the site, it is set up for watching movies and shows, ala Netflix, so live TV just doesn't do well on the platform.

And yet they have the rights to so many soccer games.
aggiebird02
I plan on dropping Paramount+ as soon as qualifying is over, but I just know I'm gonna forget and they'll keep charging me…

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.