***Official USMNT-WCQ Octagonal Thread***

187,705 Views | 3020 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cruzdoggie
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JJxvi said:

Chelsea's starters that play Christian's position in the attacking midfield are Mount and Havertz. Pulisic was potentially ahead of Havertz (and at least even with) before the illness and injury. Ziyech is the other player that essentially plays the same position. But to my memory I'm not sure that Ziyech has ever been picked over Pulisic when there was a choice between the two. (Although Ziyech was a preseason superstar so many penciled him in for some reason).

Hudson-Odoi and Werner have played in those roles, but really have been kind of a hybrid rather than true replacements with Werner more of a forward, and Hudson-Odoi more a pure wide player (often plays at wingback or right midfield behind the attackers).
Mount is better in a central role with Pulisic on the wing. Just my opinion though.
JJxvi
AG
They usually gonna play with 3 at the back, two wingbacks, two central midfielders, two attacking midfielders, and a center forward. Both of the attacking mids play both wide on the wings and centrally with the wingbacks\wide midfielders overlapping. I don't really think Christian is more of a winger than Mount either, he's definitely not like a prototypical winger except that is fast and can dribble. I think he's better driving towards the goal than driving to the end line.
oh no
AG
i have kind of viewed their attacking players at these positions:

Lukaku - 9
Werner - 9
Havertz - 10, 11, 7, 9
Mount - 10, 7, 11
Pulisic - 11, 7
Hudson-Odoi - 7
Ziyech - 7, 10

Havertz is playing 9 in the most recent two matches due to injury. I think Mount is best suited for 10, but wants to play on the wing more, and has had to lately due to injuries. I think Pulisic has played on the left wing at 11 more than anyone else on the squad, so when/if fit, he should be able to prove himself and have a chance to slide back into their best 11 and start more games soon. ..but their best 11 at this point, when all are healthy, probably includes Havertz, Mount, and Lukaku when they employ a 3-4-2-1 (they'll have two 6's in central mf and wing-backs out wide - no true #10).. and if they do a 4-3-3, then Mount or Havertz can slide to 10 and CP10 starts on wing.
Aston94
AG
Get this Chelsea talk off this thread!!!!!

Thanks.
oh no
AG
My apologies

jeffk
AG
Lol.

jeffk
AG
So there's this:

oragator
Is there a scenario where he plays for the US before his club team?
jeffk
AG
He's going to be on the squad for their midweek CL game.

Rudyjax
AG
jeffk said:

He's going to be on the squad for their midweek CL game.

30 minutes will do him good!
jeffk
AG
FIFA ruled that Mexico has to play their next two home games with no fans (Costa Rica and Panama). Wonder if they'll try to pawn that off on their women's team again?
JJxvi
AG
This penalty is going to turn out to be a repetitive joke. At what point will someone try to start docking them points in competitions?
Mathguy64
AG
jeffk said:

FIFA ruled that Mexico has to play their next two home games with no fans (Costa Rica and Panama). Wonder if they'll try to pawn that off on their women's team again?
Panama also got a closed door match penalty, Honduras got two games with limited spectators and El Salvador got one with limited spectators. All racism and throwing items at players.

The whole list is here. Its lengthy to say the least. Lots of cracking down in UEFA, CONMEBOL and CONCACAF qualifiers.
jeffk
AG
Love the "limited spectators" punishment. Otherwise known as "less people in close proximity being racist and throwing piss missiles."
akm91
AG
Mount is ruled out due to illness so there's a very good likelihood of Pulisic getting decent number of minutes.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Rudyjax
AG
akm91 said:

Mount is ruled out due to illness so there's a very good likelihood of Pulisic getting decent number of minutes.

I read he was sick this weekend. Covid?

I can look it up, but are Timo and Lukaku still hurt?
akm91
AG
Kevin the 3-legged dog said:

akm91 said:

I read he was sick this weekend. Covid?

I can look it up, but are Timo and Lukaku still hurt?
Not COVID apparently.

Quote:

However, when speaking at a news conference on Monday ahead of Chelsea's flight to Sweden, Tuchel said Pulisic was available in contrast to Mason Mount (ill), Romelu Lukaku (ankle), Timo Werner and Mateo Kovacic (both hamstring).

"These four players are unfortunately still out but also for Timo, Romelu and Kova it is no surprise," he said. "For Mason, he doesn't feel any better but to stop any speculation it is not COVID.

Lukaku, Werner and Kovacic are out as well. I'm not sure if Ziyech is back to full strength either. I'm guessing it'll be Havertz up top.

Chelsea Injuries
Rudyjax
AG
False 9. But with everyone out I'd be surprised if he didn't start.
jeffk
AG
Jordan Morris is healthy again and saw his first action of 2021 last night. I don't think we'd see him this month for the NT, but man, he's a problem for opposing defenses especially when brought on as a second half sub.
Rudyjax
AG
jeffk said:

Jordan Morris is healthy again and saw his first action of 2021 last night. I don't think we'd see him this month for the NT, but man, he's a problem for opposing defenses especially when brought on as a second half sub.
He has really grown on me and it's a shame he didn't get to play more in the Championship league.

Assuming he doesn't lose anything from his 2nd ACL injury, he'd be a great veteran super sub!
jeffk
AG
He works hard and is/was blazing fast. His finishing has really improved over the last couple of seasons as well.
akm91
AG
Plus he has developed his left foot!

Rudyjax
AG
jeffk said:

He works hard and is/was blazing fast. His finishing has really improved over the last couple of seasons as well.
Oh.. I know. I'm hoping 2 ACLs doesn't hurt his speed.
PatAg
AG

I'm interested to see if Gregg will let this full pool of players train together, or if we split them up.

I think there are some young players ready for more gameplay. Talent > Experience
jeffk
AG
When do y'all think we'll get sites for the home spring qualifying matches?
oh no
AG
Aaronson, Brooks, Pulisic, Dest, McKinney, Weah, and Pefok all have Champions League matches today. ---crazy this is American soccer we're talking about.

I don't think lineups are out yet, but I think I'll try to watch Wolfsburg v Salzburg if both Brooks and Aaronson are starting and I can get the match streaming. Never really get to see them playing for their clubs.

Looks like McKennie subbed in at 57' and scored a goal in their last match in a loss and played full 90' and scored a goal in a loss in their previous match. He's the only guy scoring for Juventus right now. Crazy.

Dest should start for Barca. He's started and played full 90 in each of the past three matches and played at right wing and had a great assist in El Clasico at 90+7 three matches ago.

Pulisic could come off the bench - doubt he starts as he's only been back at training a week, and Tuchel just said he was "suffering" with coming back from injury about a week ago. Nevertheless, he's traveling for the CL match due to injuries and illnesses on his squad and he should get on the pitch at some point.

I think Pefok is a regular starter at Young Boys, although he started last match, he subbed the previous. Weah came off the bench for Lille last match, starter the previous.
Rudyjax
AG
Puli should play. They are without Mount, Lukaku, and Timo.
oh no
AG
I said he'll play... he traveled and will be in the 23 man squad for sure and with injurie and illness, he'll play. I just dont' know if he starts today.
Rudyjax
AG
oh no said:

Pulisic could come off the bench

Meaning you're not sure.

But with TT and Pulisic, who knows.
oh no
AG

oh no said:

Meaning you're not sure.

I also said this, meaning I expect him to play even if he doesn't start:
Quote:

due to injuries and illnesses on his squad and he should get on the pitch at some point.
oh no
AG
chelsea-malmo and wolfsburg-salzburg are the earlier matches, so lineups should be available shortly.
Rudyjax
AG
oh no said:

oh no said:

Meaning you're not sure.

I also said this, meaning I expect him to play even if he doesn't start:
Quote:

due to injuries and illnesses on his squad and he should get on the pitch at some point.

Well if you wouldn't write so much, people would read it.

Just kidding. I read your first part and assumed. Carry on!
deadbq03
AG
Is it bad that the primary reason I hope he plays is so this thread can stop being a 2nd Chelski thread?
PatAg
AG

Just some more detailed info in this tweet.
oh no
AG
oh no said:

chelsea-malmo and wolfsburg-salzburg are the earlier matches, so lineups should be available shortly.
lineups announced - Pulisic not starting. Hudson-Odoi and Ziyech at wing. I bet he subs though.

Confirmed: Brooks starting for Wolfsburg and Aaronson starting for Salzburg. I will try to stream that one until Pulisic subs in.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.