Houston
Sponsored by

Icepocalypse watch 2022/2023

174,997 Views | 1531 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jock 07
schmellba99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I drove through/near a big tornado in Tennessee years back - maybe around 2008 time frame? It was at night though, had no clue it was a tornado until the next day. Thought it was just another rain storm as I was driving up I-24 when everything started going sideways for a little bit. I was doing 35mph in 4wd on the interstate. Woke up the next day and the news was nothing but this storm and how it F'd up some small towns out there.

F tornados, especially at night when you can't see the damn things. Can't think of a worse weather phenomenon, outside of maybe an earthquake. But even then, not sure that is worse unless it's a huge SOB. I guess you get used to them in the plains/midwest, but damn...the thought of spring storms bringing F4's and F5's...yeah, nope.

CDUB98
CDUB98
AG
Quote:

I guess you get used to them in the plains/midwest,

Eh, you sort of get used to them. Thankfully in the TX Panhandle, I don't recall any of those massive F4-F5 suckers coming through. We simply kept an eye on the weather, the warnings, and such. The news stations are also eleventy-billion times better at breaking in with alerts and locations than in Houston. Smart people have a plan for what they'll do, and as long as it's not a one that can rip your house apart, that plan will work.

But, you never know. If it's your time, it's your time.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
So I moved from Houston to the great North (Ft Worth) about a decade ago. I'd trade hurricanes for tornados any day of the week.

I rode out Ike but the closest I've been to a tornado was a green sky and hearing the "train". Screw that, hunkered down under the stairs while listening to the sirens makes me feel like I'm waiting out an air raid.
CDUB98
AG
I won't say it was exactly a tornado, but closest I ever came...I was out in my driveway shooting hoops as a storm was rolling in to town. I looked up and saw the literal rotation right above me as the storm moved along. This was before "radar indicated" were a thing, so no sirens. The wind was dead calm. No rain. No anything. It was like silence. Very surreal feeling.

That exact storm ended up dropping a tornado just north of Amarillo in open area, thankfully.
Tom Cardy
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

So I moved from Houston to the great North (Ft Worth) about a decade ago. I'd trade hurricanes for tornados any day of the week.

I rode out Ike but the closest I've been to a tornado was a green sky and hearing the "train". Screw that, hunkered down under the stairs while listening to the sirens makes me feel like I'm waiting out an air raid.

Idk, after living through the 27 tornado warnings the first night of Harvey I don't think it's mutually exclusive. Hurricanes usually bring a few tornadoes (weaker) that can do some damage.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
It's kinda like CDUB said… you fear that F4 packing 200+ mph that wipes your house, and family inside with it, down to the foundation.

At least with the hurricane you can decide to Ike Bear it down on the beach or participate in the great Rita evacuation. But it missed the Harvey fun so what do I know. They both suck.
AgLA06
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

It's kinda like CDUB said… you fear that F4 packing 200+ mph that wipes your house, and family inside with it, down to the foundation.

At least with the hurricane you can decide to Ike Bear it down on the beach or participate in the great Rita evacuation. But it missed the Harvey fun so what do I know. They both suck.
Exactly.

A tornado hitting your house to little to no warning and with no real ability to go to sleep at night during a storm sucks.

You have a week or more to prepare or evacuate for a hurricane. Not having power for a week or 2 is inconvenience, but it pretty mild compared to being in an active tornado event.
f burg ag
AG
Tom Cardy said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

Idk, after living through the 27 tornado warnings the first night of Harvey I don't think it's mutually exclusive. Hurricanes usually bring a few tornadoes (weaker) that can do some damage.
I agree. If I could choose one or the other, I would choose a hurricane. But both at the same time is massive suck. There was a constant train of thunderstorms trucking over Sienna during Harvey and we seemed to be in a constant state of Tornado warnings. One actually did form and tore up about a quarter mile of damage (I think they said it was an EF3, but not 100%).
schmellba99
AG
Tom Cardy said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

True. But we know a hurricane is coming well in advance. Tornadoes give you zero to just a few minutes notice.

Both suck something fierce, no doubt about it.
Tom Cardy
AG
I think we're missing the point a bit here.. a tornado coming from a hurricane is just as sudden and unplanned as tornadoes from other storms. It's not like you have more lead time to shelter, except for that you might already be at home during a hurricane and not driving around.

I'm not saying that it's worse than a bad tornado, but for me the two are absolutely comparable in the discomfort and feeling of imminent risk.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
AgLA06 said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

Exactly.

A tornado hitting your house to little to no warning and with no real ability to go to sleep at night during a storm sucks.

You have a week or more to prepare or evacuate for a hurricane. Not having power for a week or 2 is inconvenience, but it pretty mild compared to being in an active tornado event.

You don't like being woken up from a dead sleep at 3:00 by the siren and having to get the kids and animals all under the stairs; all the while its pouring rain, pitch black, and you have know idea what's coming becuase you can't see a thing outside past your fence. Wondering if the all of a sudden dead ass quiet means the frontline has just passed or the dead ass quiet means you're about to get proper screwed.
AgLA06
AG
What siren?

Where I'm at it would be the tornado ripping the house apart at 3:00am that would wake us up. Hence sleepless nights in an active tornado zone.
txags92
AG
AgLA06 said:

What siren?

Where I'm at it would be the tornado ripping the house apart at 3:00am that would wake us up. Hence sleepless nights in an active tornado zone.
Get a weather app like myradarpro or weatherbug on your phone. They are very good about pushing the warnings out very quickly and tailoring them to the area of the warning by where your cell's GPS says you are.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
txags92 said:

AgLA06 said:

What siren?

Get a weather app like myradarpro or weatherbug on your phone. They are very good about pushing the warnings out very quickly and tailoring them to the area of the warning by where your cell's GPS says you are.

Yeah. We get both, phone and city alarms.
Cromagnum
AG
Looks like no icepocalypse for us, but can't say the same for central texas.
combat wombat™
AG
But it feels freaking cold out there!!
Bondag
AG
It's a miserable 37 and misting this morning.
aggiedata
AG
Cromagnum said:

It is bad!

CDUB98
AG
I feel for those affected by this, but damn, I'm glad this didn't hit Houston.
gougler08
AG
Just landed in Chicago and it's 1 degree…that's real dumb
HtownAg92
AG
Cromagnum said:

Just talked to Mom in Bell County. Thick layer of ice on every road, but power on.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Just dropped my kid at school. Kid in the car in front of me got out wearing shorts.
Sea Speed
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Just dropped my kid at school. Kid in the car in front of me got out wearing shorts.

There is a kid sitting at the crossing guard spot every day on a bench waiting for Jr high bus typing away on his computer. I've never seen him wear anything other than basketball shorts and a t shirt.
combat wombat™
AG
None of my kids will wear long pants to school. Ever. Two would comply in extreme cold when they were little but the third would not. We forced him once and he was practically in tears.
Sea Speed
AG
We've had those arguments about similar things but I dont let my kids win them because I know better than them about what is best for them.
combat wombat™
AG
Experience is a great teacher. Wear shorts, get uncomfortably cold, learn to wear long pants next time.
Sea Speed
AG
Doesn't sound like yours learned very well.

I could have also gone with "yea, my experience taught me to not let my kids win arguments."
HtownAg92
AG
It's a thing with the older kids, especially boys. Hoodies and shorts in freezing weather.

My oldest did break down this morning and put on pants. He'll probably go back to shorts tomorrow.
RK
AG
i like to let me kids learn lessons in stupidity for themselves.

as someone who, as a child in alaska, refused to wear a hat to recess every day, despite my parents instruction. until one day i got sent to the nurse with frostbite on my ear. makes me feel good that my kids are as dumb as i am.
combat wombat™
AG
HtownAg92 said:

It's a thing with the older kids, especially boys. Hoodies and shorts in freezing weather.

My oldest did break down this morning and put on pants. He'll probably go back to shorts tomorrow.

This is an argument I don't care about. It's not cold enough for them to get injured. You don't get sick from being cold.
BMX Bandit
combat wombat said:

None of my kids will wear long pants to school. Ever. Two would comply in extreme cold when they were little but the third would not. We forced him once and he was practically in tears.
THIS

had to force a sweatshirt, they pushed the sleeves up.

why don't you wear this really nice jacket you got for christmas? "why"?
Furlock Bones
AG
My buddy in APD said they had 60-70 wrecks in one hour. They can't even respond to them all. There was a fatality wreck near downtown. Rumor is the person exited the vehicle and cars were still piling up.
aTm2004
AG
Sea Speed said:

We've had those arguments about similar things but I dont let my kids win them because I know better than them about what is best for them.
You see, I can't have that argument because I wear shorts and flip flops 95% of the time. Hell, I wore them this morning when I dropped them off at school and grabbed a few things from the grocery store. I did have a hoodie on, because I'm not a moster.
BBRex
AG
I love this weather, myself, although I'm wearing more than a hoodie and shorts.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.