Houston
Sponsored by

Icepocalypse watch 2022/2023

175,062 Views | 1531 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jock 07
Quincey P. Morris
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Space City Weather says it should hit the area between 2 and 4.

I've got to take my daughter to a doctor's appointment in Galveston at three. That wind coming back across the causeway is gonna be a blast.
CAR96
AG
I can turn off at the ball valve on the intake water supply...but dripped faucets and kept power in 2021 and was ok.
tk for tu juan
Around 2pm

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=29.7608&lon=-95.3695&unit=0&lg=english&FcstType=graphical
Agz_2003
AG
From NWS Tweet:

Quote:

The cold front has arrived in Cheyenne and it is already a record-breaker! From 1:05 to 1:35, the temperature plunged from 43 to 3 degrees, a FOURTY-DEGREE drop in just 30 minutes!

wessimo
AG
Wow
wessimo
AG

Colder than a witch's tiddy
Agz_2003
AG
You beat me to the follow up tweet
Fitch
AG
Anti-taxxer
AG
Holy *****!
aTm2004
AG
wessimo said:

Still warmer than a woman's heart.
Agz_2003
AG
Efffffff that!
LostInLA07
AG
Nope
aTm2004
AG
That's a Tesla in front of the car videoing. I wonder how long it'll last in that kind of cold.
Tom Cardy
AG
I cannot imagine what would make someone think it was a good idea to be on the road in that. I guess life happens/work/etc but that's like being in your car during a hurricane down here.
rangerdanger
AG
We at a Code Red Chita tomorrow morning?
terradactylexpress
Like driving on San Luis pass road during a hurricane, seems like a sure way to die getting caught on a road during that temp drop
AgLA06
AG
It's not always this treacherous, but this is pretty much life for there until April.
tk for tu juan
aTm2004 said:

That's a Tesla in front of the car videoing. I wonder how long it'll last in that kind of cold.

Probably at 50% reduction in range, charging becomes the issue in that cold of weather. Have to charge at a slower rate to avoid battery damage if the battery pack cannot preheat itself to a more ideal temp

https://www.geotab.com/fleet-management-solutions/ev-temperature-tool/
Tom Cardy
AG
If you're making last minute preparations, look out for danger bugs. I had a family of recluse spiders living under the bell of my backflow preventer and didn't know it until one crawled out near my hand while I was wrapping it up.

Who pooped my pants?
Seabreeze
Tom Cardy said:

If you're making last minute preparations, look out for danger bugs. I had a family of recluse spiders living under the bell of my backflow preventer and didn't know it until one crawled out near my hand while I was wrapping it up.

Who pooped my pants?

Last weekend left my windows open in the truck. Got in it the next morning I see, and hear somthing thud on my console. Turn the light on it a huge wolf spider. Not a fan of spiders, imagine a 46 year old man come to screeching stop on a major highway to pull over and exit his truck. I got it out, but **** that.
Jock 07
AG
Fitch said:

Reminds me of a ski trip I made years ago from Minot to Big Sky, visibility was even worse than that. /coolstory
htxag09
AG
Reminds me of a work trip to rock springs, wy. Would usually drive down to vernal, ut for a day trip to see customers and got caught in a blizzard in flaming gorge. I was trying to follow a snow plow but was snowing so hard I could only see a few yards in front of me
jetch17
AG
My son is excited to sit out on the driveway like heehaws tomorrow afternoon to wait for the big gust of the front to blow through and feel the temps drop
Mostly Foggy Recollection
jetch17 said:

My son is excited to sit out on the driveway like heehaws tomorrow afternoon to wait for the big gust of the front to blow through and feel the temps drop

Same.

I plan on going for a run in Magnolia Early Friday Morning in hopefully below zero wind chills
Seabreeze
Good way to teach weather. So he won't end up at the Kirby Ice House in knee deep sewage posting on Texags.
Fitch
AG
I'm comfortably at our family ranch in far (far) NE Texas about 7 miles south of the Red River where it's supposed to drop 20 in an hour tomorrow. The low with wind chill is approaching -10 Friday.

Dog pens are squared away. Cows are moved and fed.

My Cajun father in law is visiting and making gumbo.

We have tamales and a chord of fire wood and enough brown water to sedate a cow.

Can't turn off the hot tub lest it freeze…

Bring. It. On.
CDUB98
AG
Rock Springs to Cheyenne is a bad stretch I've been told.
FarmerJohn
AG
The story I heard from my family (from Western Nebraska) is the locals had warned against running I-80 through there as it is now, but the Feds wanted I-90, 80, and 70 evenly spaced on the map, so they did it anyway. That stretch shuts down relatively often.
Ryan the Temp
AG
wessimo said:

BowSowy
AG
So I have a probably dumb question about a tankless water heater. We're going to be out of town in the morning, and I was planning to shut off our main and open the faucets/showers/tubs to drain water from the pipes. I should unplug my tankless water heater, right? If I open hot water faucets or turn the dial too hot for the showers or tubs, the water heater is going to keep trying to heat the pipes for the water that isn't flowing?

Or will just opening the cold side of the faucet and briefly draining the showers and tubs (and turning off after) keep it from turning on?
Ag_07
AG
Pretty impressive it's gonna make it from Cheyenne to here in 14-16 hours
Teddy Perkins
AG
Ryan the Temp
AG
BowSowy said:

So I have a probably dumb question about a tankless water heater. We're going to be out of town in the morning, and I was planning to shut off our main and open the faucets/showers/tubs to drain water from the pipes. I should unplug my tankless water heater, right? If I open hot water faucets or turn the dial too hot for the showers or tubs, the water heater is going to keep trying to heat the pipes for the water that isn't flowing?

Or will just opening the cold side of the faucet and briefly draining the showers and tubs (and turning off after) keep it from turning on?
Tankless water heaters are activated by the flow rate. If no water is flowing through it, the water heater will not activate.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Growing up in Alaska, you knew to always watch the weather. During winter you never let your gas tank go below 1/4, and if it was forecast to be extra cold, never below 1/2 tank. This was in a time before cell phones. If you saw a disabled vehicle on the side of the road in winter you ALWAYS stopped to check on them.

Alaska didn't always have the most extreme weather, central US along the Canada border, that could be some extreme weather as well. They got it bad, but over the long haul 3-4' standing snow was the norm. You get sub 0, then add windchill...that's brutal.

For Texas, suck it up, this is a deep freeze, but huge difference to the '21 situation.
aTm '99
aggiedata
AG
We lost contact with Amarillo

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.