Houston
Sponsored by

Icepocalypse watch 2022/2023

175,069 Views | 1531 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jock 07
Seersucker Ag 2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dahouse said:

Water started flowing at 4:18! I'm not turning the faucet off
Seabreeze
Dad calls asking how I was holding out, he asked if I had unhooked my water hoses and wrapped my exterior faucets. Said yes, yes, ohhh *****... completely forgot about the SE outdoor faucet and hose. Luckily I still had foam insulation still on it from '21..
Cromagnum
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

No need to worry about frozen pipes when your water supplier can't provide water to your entire neighborhood every time it gets cold!!!

Do we live in the same neighborhood? The dumbasses that manage our community well didn't protect the pipes and it froze again. Now we have iced tea flowing and a boil water notice.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Cromagnum said:

Kenneth_2003 said:

No need to worry about frozen pipes when your water supplier can't provide water to your entire neighborhood every time it gets cold!!!

Do we live in the same neighborhood? The dumbasses that manage our community well didn't protect the pipes and it froze again. Now we have iced tea flowing and a boil water notice.
My neighborhood is serviced by Aqua, a nationwide municipal water and wastewater servicing company. I thought our system was on a well, but I've recently learned that we actually get water from the CoH via North Harris County Regional Water Authority, but our system is then managed by these Yankee losers.

They'll put us under a boil notice again once they get some useless twit off their a** to get the water flowing again. And then I'm sure they'll raise my bill again!
Frok
AG
My neighbor has both spigots running on the outside of his house. I think he's home but not sure. His dog is outside in the back yard.

Is this something someone would do or are they likely busted spigots from the freeze?

I know I should go knock on his door but I don't know him at all.
AgLA06
AG
Only one way to know. Go look.

And throw his dog an old comforter.
agz win
AG
That dog needs to be indoors.
Irish 2.0
It's illegal to leave pets outside in below freezing temps in Houston. If he's home and that dog is outside tonight, I'd call the cops on him. Absolutely zero reason for that dog to be outside while it's 15 ****ing degrees overnight.
The Last Cobra Commander
AG
"The leftist is driven by something other than facts and can't be cured."
atmtws
AG
Frok said:

My neighbor has both spigots running on the outside of his house. I think he's home but not sure. His dog is outside in the back yard.

Is this something someone would do or are they likely busted spigots from the freeze?

I know I should go knock on his door but I don't know him at all.
Go knock on his door if the dog is still outside. If he doesnt answer, get the dog yourself. Dont let the dog suffer. Then go shut off his spigots if he's not home.
Frok
AG
Okay glad I went over there. He didn't know they were running…..which is weird because they turned off fine.

Dog is inside now.
Ag_07
AG
The Last Cobra Commander said:

Nope

Like he said...No reason for the dog to be outside for any length of time tonight. Zero.

Glad he went and checked on things.
wessimo
AG
Hmmmm

AgLiving06
I think those companies made a bad bet on energy prices and are trying to get to 10pm when it looks like there will be an overabundance of supply.
Bregxit
AG
wessimo said:

Hmmmm

Wind generation is down 75% from 20kMW to 5kMW. And the sun is down so no solar. Reserve capacity is down to 4.3GW.
rangerdanger
AG
AgLiving06 said:

I think those companies made a bad bet on energy prices and are trying to get to 10pm when it looks like there will be an overabundance of supply.

I think the gas companies in and around Austin are in full pucker mode now. Probably sending that out to be on the safe side.
BMX Bandit
Irish 2.0 said:

It's illegal to leave pets outside in below freezing temps in Houston. If he's home and that dog is outside tonight, I'd call the cops on him. Absolutely zero reason for that dog to be outside while it's 15 ****ing degrees overnight.

Is this an ordinance? Had not heard that. I know state law requires "adequate shelter"

Not an issue for my dog. No way he goes outside and be seen in the Christmas sweater my wife put on him.
Ryan the Temp
AG
State law.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Houston-pet-owners-It-s-illegal-to-leave-your-16822669.php
AgLiving06
This lady is in alignment with my thoughts on why they were asking people to conserve. It's a 5 parter.

BMX Bandit
State law requires "adequate shelter"
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Anyone else have a dog that loves cold weather? He keeps wanting to go out back, and I keep having to badger him to come back in before we get reported to Fur Baby Protective Services. He finally pooped and peed this time, so I can go back to ignoring him for a while.
Ryan the Temp
AG
BMX Bandit said:

And outside is not "adequate shelter."
rangerdanger
AG
Harry Lime said:

Anyone else have a dog that loves cold weather? He keeps wanting to go out back, and I keep having to badger him to come back in before we get reported to Fur Baby Protective Services. He finally pooped and peed this time, so I can go back to ignoring him for a while.

My dog is like this too. Keeps scratching at door to go out. Usually when it's in the 50s or so I just leave him out there with a bowl of water, but today I've been letting him out for about 15 min on an Alexa timer and then yelling at him to come back in for about an hour or so. At night I give him 10 minutes.
aTm2004
AG
Something I thought of for tonight…many dishwashers have a delay start option (ours has 2,4,8 hours). I'm going to go to bed around midnight tonight and put my dishwasher on a 2 hour delay. It takes a good 1.5 hours to run its cycle, so it should be good until morning and pumping hot water through the pipes.
jg07
AG
I'd like to thank my builder, Trendmaker (now Tripoint) for this awesome outdoor tankless water heater setup. This is after I defrosted it and then removed their half assed insulation to add heat trace.
Frok
AG
rangerdanger said:

Harry Lime said:

My dog is like this too. Keeps scratching at door to go out. Usually when it's in the 50s or so I just leave him out there with a bowl of water, but today I've been letting him out for about 15 min on an Alexa timer and then yelling at him to come back in for about an hour or so. At night I give him 10 minutes.

My dog should be an outdoors dog but she thinks she's human and gets pissed if she's left out 30 seconds after she does her business.
Sea Speed
AG
Mine won't even walk in the grass and just dumps on the most convenient concrete.
Thunder18
AG
aTm2004 said:

Something I thought of for tonight…many dishwashers have a delay start option (ours has 2,4,8 hours). I'm going to go to bed around midnight tonight and put my dishwasher on a 2 hour delay. It takes a good 1.5 hours to run its cycle, so it should be good until morning and pumping hot water through the pipes.

I started mine last night around 12:30 before heading to bed
Waltonloads08
AG
jg07 said:

I'd like to thank my builder, Trendmaker (now Tripoint) for this awesome outdoor tankless water heater setup. This is after I defrosted it and then removed their half assed insulation to add heat trace.

lol holy **** but why did you buy it
LostInLA07
AG
Wtf
jg07
AG
Because I'm an idiot. I didn't fully understand what it was underneath the insulation. They acted like it was a new free upgrade. Plumbing is not something I was familiar with at the time.
Tom Cardy
AG
and add another project to the list that I'll never do because getting a good installer is prohibitively expensive
BudFox7
Lol got the dog police out. This thread has it all.
htxag09
AG
rangerdanger said:

Harry Lime said:

Can't drag my dog outside in the summer. Have to drag him inside now.

Funny thing is my 2 year old son is constantly asking to go outside right now as well. Out there playing basketball and freezing my balls out with him.

Wonder if nextdoor would be more upset with me leaving my son or dog out there….
BMX Bandit
Ryan the Temp said:

BMX Bandit said:

And outside is not "adequate shelter."

If you have a big enough dog house it is.

This is tge state law though. Irish mentioned Houston. May be a more stringent law

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.