Houston
Sponsored by

Icepocalypse watch 2022/2023

175,090 Views | 1531 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jock 07
HtownAg92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

I'm dripping faucets like I did in 21. Live in conroe and pipes in attic above garage. No issues then so figure repeating what I did will work now.
Just in case, you need to make sure that if your pipes do burst, you have a way to direct the flowing water towards Kingwood.
aggiedata
AG
Charlie Murphy said:

I assume these pipes bursting were not PEX?

They are not PEX. PVC. Bad design. I had a shut off valve installed so I can turn off the water to the outside bibs that go through the attic. but the hot water heater has all the pipes attached. I cover those with many, moving blankets.
AustinCountyAg
random question about cutting off water to house for those who've done it....

Is it simple enough as just turning it off at the meter will all the faucets open in the evening to drain, then going back and turning it on at the meter when temps rise in morning, the going back and turning it off again at nighttime when it gets super cold?
CowtownAg06
AG
Basically yes. Make sure you open multiple faucets. Don't forget showers and exterior bibs. I'm doing this because I'll be out of town for 4 days and don't want to come home to a total flood. Honestly, if I were home and could react quickly, I'd just drop Thursday-Saturday nights.
SJEAg
AG
Read on another thread if you cut water for an extended period (guessing overnight wouldn't suffice), to also turn off your water heater(s).

Also, check access to your water meter beforehand. Mine was buried under a foot of mud, dealing with that when its 15 degrees outside wouldn't be fun.
BohunkAg
AG
It's all good. Lena is gonna hold a press conference!

CDUB98
AG
BohunkAg said:

maroon barchetta

Irish 2.0
Will Mayor "Cheel" be on hand too?
Agz_2003
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

Mayor "Cheel" will be Mayor Frozone for a few days
Ag_07
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

He's busy getting Jar Jar Brown prepped and ready to be a shelter.
The Wonderer
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

Shut the water off to the house, drain the lines. That's full proof, but inconvenient.

We have pex and I'm kicking myself for not installing shutoff valves in the attic for the runs to the garage and hose bibs.
So glad my new house has this.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I don't do the twitter and all that mess, but can we send some respect to that Basstardi guy. He was on this first and he stuck to his guns. Not saying I am gonna subscribe or give him money, just acknowledging he is was right.
aTm2004
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

He'll be chillin' with airport boy toy.
Sea Speed
AG
Ag_07 said:

Irish 2.0 said:

How on God's green earth have I never heard jar jar brown before. Holy ****.
Ag_07
AG
It drove my nuts during Harvey and every fckn time he had a press conference. Ever since then I can't unhear it.
maroon barchetta
Sea Speed said:

Ag_07 said:

Irish 2.0 said:

How on God's green earth have I never heard jar jar brown before. Holy ****.

I'll never be able to think of that building as anything else.
tk for tu juan
That is so much easier to say, going to use Jar Jar from now on
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Ag_07 said:

It drove my nuts during Harvey and every fckn time he had a press conference. Ever since then I can't unhear it.

It drove your nuts? I don't believe I'd've told that.
Anti-taxxer
AG
Ag_07 said:

Irish 2.0 said:

Welp. Not unhearing that.
AgLiving06
BohunkAg said:

Channel 2 had it on for about 5 minutes and when she decided we needed to know the technical definition of a hard freeze they cut away quickly.

Nobody cares what she has to say.
jja79
AG
Is there a vaccine for this?
Al Bula
AG
Lina must not have been pushing "Trump is controlling the weather" angle so the news cut away.
AgLiving06
Propane is becoming harder to find. Home Depot was out. HEB had some in my area. Dude who traded the propane said it had been steady all day.
Seabreeze
Milwaukees Best Light said:

I don't do the twitter and all that mess, but can we send some respect to that Basstardi guy. He was on this first and he stuck to his guns. Not saying I am gonna subscribe or give him money, just acknowledging he is was right.

He was one of the first to call Harvey rain fall, and the '21 freeze. But here is the kicker, anyone can forecast within a 14 day window looking at any long term forecast. Trick is does it pan out. In this case and others yes he deserves props. Even SWC who is probably the most respected coastal forecasters poopoo him just a few days ago.
Tom Cardy
AG
Seabreeze said:

Milwaukees Best Light said:

He was one of the first to call Harvey rain fall, and the '21 freeze. But here is the kicker, anyone can forecast within a 14 day window looking at any long term forecast. Trick is does it pan out. In this case and others yes he deserves props. Even SWC who is probably the most respected coastal forecasters poopoo him just a few days ago.

Fwiw, I think the hate from some of the bigger names is against the doomcasting or click baiting and not necessarily the actual forecast or person. The models were showing this as a possibility, but most of the bigger names will wait until it's more certain in order to retain credibility with the public. Joe gets out in front of that and is loud about it, so when he hits it makes him look smart. If you read his mentions, he has equal parts of east coast pissed at him for a bad snow forecast and then Texans saying he was right about the freeze.
Seabreeze
Weather is like gambling that far out. You win some you lose some. He was right again, pay the man
Anonymous Source
S
Now you know there's gonna be some *****...

jetch17
AG

wessimo
AG
Teddy Perkins
AG

If any pool owners lose power the above video explains what to do to drain your pool pumps and plumbing. I had to do this at 3am when we lost power last year.
SJEAg
AG
On pools, is it necessary to run the spa blower and vacuum? Plan to run the filter and water feature but wondered if I need everything firing all night and day. Prefer not since for the electricity usage and it's loud as hell overnight, but will do so if that's recommended. Thanks
Tom Cardy
AG
I'd think that the rule of thumb is that if it has water flowing through it, either keep it running or turn it off and drain it
Sea Speed
AG
I was going to leave my water feature off. There shouldn't be any water in that line and if there is and it freezes there is a foot long outlet where water normally comes out of.
agz win
AG
Got the new turn off key from Amazon and tested it in the meter box. All good and ready for tomorrow evening.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.