Houston
Sponsored by

Icepocalypse watch 2022/2023

175,018 Views | 1531 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jock 07
aTm2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Same here. My daughter had a lot of softball tournaments last summer, and we'd spend all day out in the 100* heat with no way to escape it. We've also sat through 30 and 40-something degree games/practices, and it's much more bearable due to being able to add layers to stay warm. Sitting in the shade in shorts and a shirt dripping in sweat with nothing else to take off that doesn't end with my name on a list isn't missed.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I've never understood the fascination with extreme heat some people have. Like you said, you can almost always put on enough to be warm, but there's only so much that can come off.
RK
AG
sitting on metal bleachers when it's freezing a windy sucks. even with a "stadium chair". of course, it also sucks when it's 1000 degrees.

i've always preferred cold over hot, but that's starting to shift as i become an old man.
Mostly Foggy Recollection
Quincey P. Morris said:

I've never understood the fascination with extreme heat some people have. Like you said, you can almost always put on enough to be warm, but there's only so much that can come off.

This. Grew up in Texas. I loathe heat. **** anything over 80 with humidity. I'll take what I just experienced in Colorado 10 times out of 10 over a Texas Summer day without rain.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
RK said:

i've always preferred cold over hot, but that's starting to shift as i become an old man.
Same. I used to think old people were just bull****ting when they talked about the weather affecting their joint pain.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Microwave Onions said:

RK said:

Same. I used to think old people were just bull****ting when they talked about the weather affecting their joint pain.

I used to think old people calling for rain based off their level of knee pain were insane. But now that I'm old, I can vouch there is something to it.
Anti-taxxer
AG
I still have PTSD from that week.
Caliber
AG
I will take working outside in 100 degrees and humid over working outside in this mess.

Every year I seem to hate the winter more. I can acclimate to hot weather pretty quick but winter just hurts to work outside in for me. I never really seem to get used to it.
David_Puddy
AG
If it could only be like the Cali weather here in Texas year round
maroon barchetta
It would just encourage more Californians to move here.
txags92
AG
Caliber said:

I will take working outside in 100 degrees and humid over working outside in this mess.

Every year I seem to hate the winter more. I can acclimate to hot weather pretty quick but winter just hurts to work outside in for me. I never really seem to get used to it.
I spent a winter doing fieldwork in Michigan when I first got out of school, and I STILL hate this kind of raw cold weather 30 years later. When I go out and work in 100 degree weather, I can come in and take a cool shower and I am back to normal pretty much right away. When I go out and work in raw cold weather, even with proper warm weather gear, you just reah a point where the cold works its way into your bones. I can come in and take a long hot shower or sit in a hot tub, and that cold is still going to be there hours later.

Put me down for team Summer.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
At least I'm not to my parents' point yet, cranking up the heater to recreate Summer conditions as soon as the weatherman says it might get chilly out there - even if it's a report from a different city.
Microwave Onions said:

At least I'm not to my parents' point yet, cranking up the heater to recreate Summer conditions as soon as the weatherman says it might get chilly out there - even if it's a report from a different city.

That made me laugh because I know someone like that, that is young, and when she invites us over I always flip it to our house.
combat wombat™
AG
My husband keeps it on 74 year round. All that hot air works it's way upstairs and the kids are baking in their rooms.
RK
AG
thermostat roulette b/t upstairs and downstairs is a real struggle. especially when it's 80 for a few days and 40 the next few.
HtownAg92
AG
aTm2004 said:

Same here. My daughter had a lot of softball tournaments last summer, and we'd spend all day out in the 100* heat with no way to escape it. We've also sat through 30 and 40-something degree games/practices, and it's much more bearable due to being able to add layers to stay warm. Sitting in the shade in shorts and a shirt dripping in sweat with nothing else to take off that doesn't end with my name on a list isn't missed.
Agree. Even with canopies, beach umbrellas, trees it is still sweltering hot and there is nothing you can do about it. There is no limit to the number of layers and blankets you can put on in the cold. And just getting out of the wind helps. No wind in summer. Also, walking, bouncing, stamping feet, etc. help in the cold. They just contribute to heat stroke in the summer.
combat wombat™
AG
No kidding.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
It's like a hairdryer to the face for those of us who are tall enough to go on the scary rides.

My dad was always like that though. I guess it's like the dorks in high school who would show up in letter jackets anytime the forecast said it might dip below 80. Just exciting to know that it might get cold.
Seasoned Lifeguard
IMO, there's zero excuse to ever be uncomfortably cold in Houston. If you are, then you're simply not wearing the proper attire
Jackal99
AG
txags92 said:

Caliber said:

I spent a winter doing fieldwork in Michigan when I first got out of school, and I STILL hate this kind of raw cold weather 30 years later. When I go out and work in 100 degree weather, I can come in and take a cool shower and I am back to normal pretty much right away. When I go out and work in raw cold weather, even with proper warm weather gear, you just reah a point where the cold works its way into your bones. I can come in and take a long hot shower or sit in a hot tub, and that cold is still going to be there hours later.

What part of Michigan? I've been in Northern Michigan in the winter, and it can be ****ing brutal.

Team Summer, yo.
evestor1
Seasoned Lifeguard said:

IMO, there's zero excuse to ever be uncomfortably cold in Houston. If you are, then you're simply not wearing the proper attire
I have only been cold twice in houston when wearing proper attire.

2021 - it was nauseating while working on a generator in 13 degrees.

Xmas 2022 - it was absolutely bitter on my boat dock while i checked on my boats. Feels-like temp on weather app was 7... on my dock where it was blowing 40mph and waves were crashing over me. My nine year old asked me to hold his hand so he didnt get knocked off the dock by a wave. To say it felt like -10 F may not have been too crazy. It was pleasant and fun during my walk up and down the yard. Second we hit the icy dock it changed my perspective.
txags92
AG
Jackal99 said:

txags92 said:

Caliber said:

What part of Michigan? I've been in Northern Michigan in the winter, and it can be ****ing brutal.

Team Summer, yo.

Mostly Detroit/Lansing area. But it was the coldest winter of the 20th century for detroit and 2nd coldest ever up to that point. And I was spending probably 3-4 days per week outdoors doing field work. I remember spending all day in the field when it was -7 with -25 windchill and I put on my loafers to enter the office at the end of the day. The soles of both shoes snapped in half when I stood up and tried to walk.
Sea Speed
AG
My wife is from Beantown and we took our engagement photos up there in the winter and it was something like 5 degrees out and we were walking around the waterfront and northern for about 3 hours. I have never been that cold in my life, even working in the north sea in the winter.
plowboy1065
S
I caught one of your coming out of Buc-ees this morning in Cypress
RK
AG
My man knows. #reds
Dill-Ag13
AG
Done with this sheet can it be 101*F and sunny so we can complain about the heat, humidity, ERCOT and hurricanes?
htxag09
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

Done with this sheet can it be 101*F and sunny so we can complain about the heat, humidity, ERCOT and hurricanes?

Nah. I'll take a week of cold and wet weather in the middle of "winter" of 60-70 degree days vs the unrelenting multiple months of 100*F ****
aTm2004
AG
People are still complaining about ERCOT. #glasshalffull
txags92
AG
aTm2004 said:

People are still complaining about ERCOT. #glasshalffull
#glassistwiceaslargeasneeded
cajunaggie08
AG
Mostly Foggy Recollection said:

Microwave Onions said:

That made me laugh because I know someone like that, that is young, and when she invites us over I always flip it to our house.
I have a co-worker that keeps it at 80 year round. He got sticker shocked last winter when he got his first gas bill after that. He bumped it down to 79 after that. He's invited me over before and I always tell him no.
Ours is on 72 in Winter and 68 in Summer.
CDUB98
AG
My FIL and his wife keep their thermostat around 80 year round as well. It's insufferable every time. Ridiculous.

One of myself, my wife, or my SIL go turn it down every time we go over for a family gathering.
CDUB98
AG
Since we're LOLpoors, we typically keep it at 75 in the summer and 70 in the winter.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I would die if my house was at 70+ in the winter. I hate heated air. Typically keep it on 64-66. Put on a ****ing sweater.
schmellba99
AG
Good thing about bitter cold in Houston is that you know it won't last but a few days, so it's pretty tolerable and at times can be enjoyable.

But whomever said that there is no excuse to be cold in Houston if you are dressed properly is 100% FOS. Wet cold finds its way through any and all types of winter clothing, and you can't argue that. Maybe if you only spend a few minutes outside you can say that simply dressing properly is good enough, but thats it. Spend any length of time outside when it's 40 and humid on the Texas coast and the cold finds a way in.

Heat...meh. Guess spending so many years out in AZ where it's so gawdamned hot it saps the energy out of you and there isn't humidity to let even a breeze or wind cool you off changed my outlook on Houston heat. Sure, it sucks, but it is very tolerable to me these days.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.