Houston
Sponsored by

Icepocalypse watch 2022/2023

175,042 Views | 1531 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jock 07
Ryan the Temp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Ryan the Temp said:

BMX Bandit said:

State law requires "adequate shelter"
And outside is not "adequate shelter."

If you have a big enough dog house it is.
Frok did not specify that the neighbor's dog had a doghouse, so the understanding was that the neighbor's dog lacks adequate shelter.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
BMX Bandit
Lady Bird
Jugstore Cowboy
AG

Quote:

Wonder if nextdoor would be more upset with me leaving my son or dog out there….

The dog for sure.
wessimo
AG
BrazosDog02
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

BMX Bandit said:

Ryan the Temp said:

BMX Bandit said:

Frok did not specify that the neighbor's dog had a doghouse, so the understanding was that the neighbor's dog lacks adequate shelter.

Meh, doesn't really matter. If someone is leaving their dog outside in This weather and it's not a heated doghouse, they are a piece of ***** There. I said it.

So…anyone got any long term apocalyptic weather models we can look at for the next month that we can go ahead and start discussing now?
Ryan the Temp
AG
Quote:

Meh, doesn't really matter. If someone is leaving their dog outside in This weather and it's not a heated doghouse, they are a piece of ***** There. I said it.
I'm 100% with you on that.
BrazosDog02
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

Quote:

I'm 100% with you on that.

I'm being somewhat dramatic, I get that you can't always make that happen but even the local homeless people bring their dogs inside the tent for this event. Of course that's probably for heat but still.

I'm a sucker for animals.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Quote:

I'm a sucker for animals.
Here's my sucker for animals story - We had a stray Bombay cat frequenting our yard about a year and a half ago. We gave her food and built a heated house for her when the weather got cold. She started using it to stay warm and get in out of the rain (when she wasn't under our house).

Needless to say, we now have a pet cat. This is her nesting in the dog blanket, sleeping contently, knowing we'll take good care of her:
CDUB98
AG
If she's in the dog blanket, where's the dog?
inconvenient truth
Nm
Ryan the Temp
AG
CDUB98 said:

If she's in the dog blanket, where's the dog?
One is in our bed and the other is on the couch in front of the space heater. Kitty is still a bit unsure around the dogs, but being trapped inside during this freeze is getting her more comfortable.
Cromagnum
AG
KHOU has a timer for below freezing temps...
We are such *******.

Tom Cardy
AG
XTREME HARD FREEZE CHRISTMAS 2022
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Next door neighbors left for Europe last Saturday and won't be home until NYE. They didn't mention to their college-aged house sitter to drip the faucets. I tried for about an hour to thaw their water line but it's also on a garage wall and I can't get the temp high enough in the garage to thaw. I'll shut their water off in the am, then slowly bring back online when we get enough above freezing. Sucks because if they've got busted pipes it's gonna be my problem to deal with until they get back.
Seabreeze
Need more natural gas power for sure, we cut it pretty close this time. We are right about at a tipping point. All the new homes gas stations and strip malls going up, we are just about even in energy consumption vs output.
Seabreeze
Ducks4brkfast said:

Next door neighbors left for Europe last Saturday and won't be home until NYE. They didn't mention to their college-aged house sitter to drip the faucets. I tried for about an hour to thaw their water line but it's also on a garage wall and I can't get the temp high enough in the garage to thaw. I'll shut their water off in the am, then slowly bring back online when we get enough above freezing. Sucks because if they've got busted pipes it's gonna be my problem to deal with until they get back.

Sounds like that trip to Europe just got a little more expensive
redag06
BrazosDog02 said:

Ryan the Temp said:

BMX Bandit said:

Ryan the Temp said:

BMX Bandit said:

So…anyone got any long term apocalyptic weather models we can look at for the next month that we can go ahead and start discussing now?

If a person has a Siberian husky a dog bred for this type of weather? Absolutely not!

Hell if someone lets their Siberian husky stay outside on a Houston summer day they are the lien r of ****
Ridge14
Funny enough I spent about thirty minutes looking for the underground sprinkler shutoff valve over the last two days in the daylight. I just found it at 10:30 in the pitch black.
maroon barchetta
I'm checking on pets for someone that left today. Went by this evening and they had barely a trickle from the kitchen faucet downstairs.

Bathroom upstairs had no flow at all.

They get back the 29th. I'm hoping this is not a big problem.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
While we're all sitting at home w/ our pets, he gets called over to help a college-aged house sitter with a plumbing emergency. Ducks' life is straight out of the movies..
Seabreeze
Well my dumb ass figured leave the North facing outside faucet, which also is used as a pool fill line dripping... pvc froze blocking an exit for the drip to the pool. Two hair dryers a fresh set of towels and a garbage bag as a wind block got it all defrosted. No more drip for me. This has never happened.
Seabreeze

BrazosDog02
AG
Seabreeze said:

Well my dumb ass figured leave the North facing outside faucet, which also is used as a pool fill line dripping... pvc froze blocking an exit for the drip to the pool. Two hair dryers a fresh set of towels and a garbage bag as a wind block got it all defrosted. No more drip for me. This has never happened.

I left my norther facing bibs dripping as well. Got down to 16 before I Shut it all off and drained because I'm a chicken. Did you drip AND cover? I think the drippy technique is an either/or proposition.
BrazosDog02
AG
Seabreeze
First year I ever dripped, don't know why I did this year. Also didn't wrap in a trash bag as wind repellent, which I always did. Had a major stoke in April that I thought had passed, but **** like this says otherwise. I'm literally sitting thinking "why the hell did you do that?" Just glad I caught it. But makes wonder what else I did wrong.
Teddy Perkins
AG
MAROON
AG
Ha! I know that guy
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Seabreeze
Teddy Perkins said:

Kept the power on. Now go do China and India. We do need more newer natural gas energy plants to meet future demands. We basically broke even with this freeze.
angryocotillo
AG
Have a drip in my kitchen ceiling and standing water in the back yard. I turned the water off after filling up a few buckets for toilet water.

Have a duck hunt tomorrow and was planning on waking up in 45 minutes. Guess I'll figure it out when I get back.
AgLiving06
An unintended consequence of people fleeing blue states is Texas population is growing significantly (before we even consider all the illegal immigrants.

That + our grid being designed for heat, not cold and we've got some work to do.
BohunkAg
AG
Yet we are still installing more wind and solar. Consequences be damned!
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Seabreeze said:

Looks like a scared horse wearing a bucket hat.
cone
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Frok
AG
Seabreeze said:

Teddy Perkins said:

Kept the power on. Now go do China and India. We do need more newer natural gas energy plants to meet future demands. We basically broke even with this freeze.

No politician will get social credit or kickbacks for that so it won't happen.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.