Houston
Sponsored by

Icepocalypse watch 2022/2023

175,045 Views | 1531 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jock 07
Seabreeze
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cromagnum said:

Suppose to hit mid 60s, then drop 50 degrees on Thursday.
Crazy ain't it. Near 70 degrees at 3pm, by 8pm in the 20's, by midnight in the teens with single digit wind chill.
htxag09
AG
Can't wait for all the Texags and social media posts….."only in Texas can I wear shorts then it be freezing 12 hours later" or some stupid ass **** like this is a phenomenon the rest of the world doesn't see fairly often….
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Cromagnum
AG
Seabreeze said:

Cromagnum said:

Suppose to hit mid 60s, then drop 50 degrees on Thursday.
Crazy ain't it. Near 70 degrees at 3pm, by 8pm in the 20's, by midnight in the teens with single digit wind chill.

Looks like in going to lose my citrus trees two years in a row.
CDUB98
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

So, literally freezing our balls "members" off?
Irish 2.0
How big are they? An old blanket and a drop light with an incandescent bulb can do wonders
Forum Troll
AG
only in Texas can I wear shorts then it be freezing 12 hours later
Fitch
AG

jetch17
AG
Forum Troll said:

Jackal99
AG
Forum Troll said:

Username checks the **** out
Cromagnum
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

How big are they? An old blanket and a drop light with an incandescent bulb can do wonders

The ones this year are new. And I know the blanket / light bulb trick. But ERCOT ****ed us last year. I have no reason to believe they won't again.
Irish 2.0
Cromagnum said:

Irish 2.0 said:

The ones this year are new. And I know the blanket / light bulb trick. But ERCOT ****ed us last year. I have no reason to believe they won't again.
I don't think we run the risk of losing power like we did in Feb '21. That was a matter of timing because so much energy was offline with the maintenance schedule. Not the case with it being in late December this time.
htxag09
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

Cromagnum said:

Irish 2.0 said:

I don't think we run the risk of losing power like we did in Feb '21. That was a matter of timing because so much energy was offline with the maintenance schedule. Not the case with it being in late December this time.
Everything I've read confirms we don't have the risk of less supply that we did in Feb '21. But, the last sentence doesn't really make sense to me. Isn't it generally colder and don't you have a higher risk of a freeze in February then December?
P.H. Dexippus
AG
https://www.harborfreight.com/generators-engines/generators.html
Charlie Murphy
htxag09 said:

Can't wait for all the Texags and social media posts….."only in Texas can I wear shorts then it be freezing 12 hours later" or some stupid ass **** like this is a phenomenon the rest of the world doesn't see fairly often….
Almost as bad as the flipped over lawnchair after a major storm with "We will rebuild" after it. Half the time the morons who post that are the same over-reactors to the storm.
Cromagnum
AG
P.H. Dexippus said:

https://www.harborfreight.com/generators-engines/generators.html

I have one this time around. I need to actually be at home to use it though.
HtownAg92
AG
Cromagnum said:

Irish 2.0 said:

I had a Meyer lemon tree that was lighted and ready in '21. Turns out, Christmas tree lights make very poor heaters and insulators when they are not on.
txags92
AG
htxag09 said:

Irish 2.0 said:

Cromagnum said:

Irish 2.0 said:

Everything I've read confirms we don't have the risk of less supply that we did in Feb '21. But, the last sentence doesn't really make sense to me. Isn't it generally colder and don't you have a higher risk of a freeze in February then December?
In the February 21 freeze, one of the issues was that there were quite a few generators that were already down for maintenance because the demand usually isn't very high in late february and march. So the available supply started out lower than normal because those plants were unavailable. ERCOT won't make the mistake of having plants down for scheduled maintenance in the peak of winter (Dec-Feb) again.
Ryan the Temp
AG
I have a Meyer lemon I planted in the Spring. It replaced the 13-foot grapefruit tree I lost in the last Icepocalypse. At least it's small enough I can enclose it and use a shop light.
98Ag99Grad
AG
cone said:

correct me if i'm wrong

so long as we don't lose power and drip faucets, this is just a deal where the plants die and undrained sprinkler systems rupture

it's cold and you stay inside where it's warm
you are not wrong
The Porkchop Express
You can't beat a weather forecast that says High 71 / Low 18.
Caliber
AG
Cromagnum said:

Irish 2.0 said:

In addition to other sources being online... It's supposed to be windy so our "green" energy sector isn't going to screw us this time. In '21 the wind pretty much went to zero with the coldest air intrusion.
cone
AG
Quote:

you really think that?
Jbob04
AG
This time around it's actually going to be too windy for the wind turbines
cone
AG
Quote:

Isn't it generally colder and don't you have a higher risk of a freeze in February then December?
last frost dates in Houston area are usually late February

urban gardener has entered the chat
HtownAg92
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

I have a Meyer lemon I planted in the Spring. It replaced the 13-foot grapefruit tree I lost in the last Icepocalypse. At least it's small enough I can enclose it and use a shop light.
That sucks. We had a monster neighborhood grapefruit tree that was lost too. It was so productive that the neighbor just told everyone to take as much as we wanted, any time.
Sea Speed
AG
HtownAg92 said:

Ryan the Temp said:

That sucks. We had a monster neighborhood grapefruit tree that was lost too. It was so productive that the neighbor just told everyone to take as much as we wanted, any time.

We had 2 massive ones in the green belt behind my house that apit out hundreds. Was a real shame to lose.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
FYI, I just found a bunch of incandescent Christmas light strings at At Home - used to be Garden Ridge. Had a bunch of expensive ass landscaping put in that I really don't want to die.
Duck Blind
AG
Is it better to drip outside faucets or wrap them really well?

Probably 2 schools of thought here. Like brisket and the fat side.

Thanks!
Bregxit
AG
redag06 said:

Yes, they work great.

Do you know if they are okay to wrap around insulated pipes?
BohunkAg
AG
Cromagnum said:

Irish 2.0 said:

ERCOT is only partially to blame. Thank all the subsidized wind/solar taking over the grid too. The more of that we get, the more volatility we will see in the grid
TarponChaser
Milwaukees Best Light said:

FYI, I just found a bunch of incandescent Christmas light strings at At Home - used to be Garden Ridge. Had a bunch of expensive ass landscaping put in that I really don't want to die.

The yard and landscaping at our house is crap. It was a mess when we bought the house last year and I started to try to bring the yard back but then it didn't rain for 5 months so it went to hell again. Hopefully this freeze really kills stuff so I can start over.
SJEAg
AG
Duck Blind said:

Is it better to drip outside faucets or wrap them really well?

Probably 2 schools of thought here. Like brisket and the fat side.

Thanks!

Even during Feb 21 freeze, wrapping was enough for me. But I wrap really well. Insulation/cloth wrap followed by a bib cover, then I wrap that heavily in plastic/duct tape. I always fear dripping outside faucets will just result in an icy mess?

Indoors I definitely drip.
Serotonin
AG
htxag09 said:

"If you don't like the weather in Texas just wait a few minutes."

Which, you know, applies to every part of the continental US except maybe a small strip on the west coast.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Even if ERCOT is able to provide power, 40 mph wind gusts are going to take down some tree limbs causing outages.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.