Houston
Sponsored by

Icepocalypse watch 2022/2023

175,037 Views | 1531 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jock 07
Big Al 1992
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag_07 said:

Big Al 1992 said:

Hoping Chicago O'Hare has their stuff together and can get us in and out.

Ha! Good one

Switching at O'Hare
During peak holiday travel time
During a weather event
That's a blizzard/freeze

Yeah...Good luck

There used to be a direct IAH to STT but only choice this time - and I knew it at the time there was a good chance we would get screwed - was thru O'Hare. Gonna be scrambling looking for options - or just call NetJets!
Irish 2.0
Keep in mind weather is "Act of God" and you'll be up **** creek on your own dime if you're stranded. May want to book a refundable night or two at the Hilton attached to ORD.
Ag_07
AG
The thing is with so many models and so much data you can basically cherry pick whatever you want so you can push a certain narrative and say 'See look at model ABC that forecasts XYZ at [insert date]'.
RK
AG
Trust the science!
HtownAg92
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

Keep in mind weather is "Act of God" and you'll be up **** creek on your own dime if you're stranded. May want to book a refundable night or two at the Hilton attached to ORD.
Or the Braidwood Inn

scd88
AG
txags92
AG
The Kraken
AG
Herzog now saying low of 20, Friday AM

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
Mostly Foggy Recollection
Think it's a good 5-7 degrees colder than that. I get why on air Mets hug models, but I've seen this pattern time and time again and models are always too warm on true Arctic air.
Snipes
AG
I was just on direct flight from IAH to STT. Don't think it flies everyday but for sure does on saturdays.
Ag_07
AG
Man you sure are putting all your eggs into this icepocalypse end of days temp drop.
It's not going to be 2021 and teens happen here every 3-4 years so it's not that rare.

It is however going to be pretty dang cold for 3-4 days
Sea Speed
AG
We monitor the wx pretty closely at work and this is what one of our services is predicting for wind speeds. My guess is it will be a little bit stronger than this, but pretty close. This is one of our more accurate services, but this is for about 40 miles out.

Eta that is 10m wind, 10m gusts, 50m wind and 50m gusts.

Ag06Law
AG
Mostly Foggy Recollection said:

It's not going to be 2021 and teens happen here every 3-4 years so it's not that rare.

Houston went from 1996 to 2018 without seeing teens. It's fairly unusual, the last few years notwithstanding.
Cromagnum
AG
Ag06Law said:

Mostly Foggy Recollection said:

Houston went from 1996 to 2018 without seeing teens. It's fairly unusual, the last few years notwithstanding.

I cant remember which year it was but somewhere between 1996 and 1998 we had a 3 day ice storm though.
agz win
AG
Just gonna turn main water off at night and drain pipes. It'll be above freezing during the days.
Mas89
AG
I remember that one. The freezing rain was worse east of Houston and closer to the coast. Winnie to Lake Charles had freezing rain that took out many old trees and power lines. Power was out afterwards for a week or more in many areas and I-10 was closed for a while with trees on the road. Luckily the precipitation was mostly east of Houston metro.
Mas89
AG
agz win said:

Just gonna turn main water off at night and drain pipes. It'll be above freezing during the days.
Me too.
The Houston area saw several during that time frame. Yeah, I can believe IAH may have never gone into the teens during that time but I did many times in Magnolia.

Cypress and Katy did as well.

Urban Heat Island is a very real thing.
Sea Speed
AG
I remember all the pine trees arched all over grant road in cypress after that ice storm.
tandy miller
AG
Parts of Texas are gonna get several inches when I visit
Sea Speed
AG
tandy miller said:

Just like your mom when I visit.
Irish 2.0
tandy miller said:

Giggity
Big Al 1992
AG
Not that anyone cares about our first world problems - but were able to get out a day earlier and go thru Newark instead of Chicago - not a whole lot better but it'll be sunnier and warmer. Merry Christmas!
Duck Blind
AG
agz win said:

When you drain the pipes do you drain the HOT water too? What happens to the HW heaters?
maroon barchetta
Nothing. The water is hot.
Flashdiaz
AG
Every time I ask Alexa for the weather and she tells me to expect 0.27 inches I must blurt out "YOU can expect 0.27 inches!".
maroon barchetta
Tell her that her mom Siri likes it.
htxag09
AG
Space city update today:
Quote:

Bottom line: Temperatures are going to absolutely plummet Thursday afternoon, likely from the 60s or 70s into the 30s over the course of about 4 to 6 hours. We will drop below freezing Thursday afternoon or evening and may not get back up above freezing until Saturday. Overnight lows Thursday night into Friday will likely drop into the teens or low-20s for the city of Houston and most surrounding areas away from the immediate coast. In addition, potent northerly winds will create dangerous wind chill values in the single digits from Thursday evening through Friday morning. We do not expect any snow or ice at this time, a key difference from February 2021, in addition to the intensity and duration of cold.
Duck Blind
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Sorry. Half of the question stayed in my head and please forgive my ignorance. Shut off main. Open all faucets / pipes to drain. Got it. But the lines leading INTO the HWH are not hot. They're in the attic. What happens to the water in them? They drain out as the rest of the house drains? Hope this is more ckear? Thx
maroon barchetta
Duck Blind said:

maroon barchetta said:

Sorry. Half of the question stayed in my head and please forgive my ignorance. Shut off main. Open all faucets / pipes to drain. Got it. But the lines leading INTO the HWH are not hot. They're in the attic. What happens to the water in them? They drain out as the rest of the house drains? Hope this is more ckear? Thx

I'm very clear.

You said it's a "hot water heater".

No need to worry about the supply lines to the HWH if the water being heated is already hot.

drwong
AG
Just got back from Finland today where it was about 12 deg F most of the time. Bring on this heat wave.
Ag_07
AG
drwong said:

Just got back from Finland today where it was about 12 deg F most of the time. Bring on this heat wave.

Ah shlt watch out...Internet badass over here!
Jugstore Cowboy
AG

Quote:

You said it's a "hot water heater".
Doesn't everyone call it that? I know it's redundant, but it's all I've ever heard.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.