Houston
Sponsored by

Icepocalypse watch 2022/2023

175,060 Views | 1531 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jock 07
texsn95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sea Speed said:

Oooh. Interested here too. This is our first year having a pool. Need to get that all sorted out and I am away. Putting several blankets over the whole system should do the trick?
Well there's 2 ways here, 1 is that you can leave everything running, since the chance of a power outage like we had a few years ago is relatively low, but still possible. So if it does go out for an extended period, you're kind of screwed, and prepare to drain equipment and freeze your ass off or just hope for the best.
Or try to drain and cover everything you can ahead of time. Blankets etc don't help that much if they don't touch the ground, which helps to insulate. If I just open my multi-port to Waste, the filter will mostly drain out, and there's a plug at the bottom, and can wrap or cover the lower pipes. I have a salt cell this year I have to protect unlike with the last freeze.
Agz_2003
AG
Sea Speed said:

Oooh. Interested here too. This is our first year having a pool. Need to get that all sorted out and I am away. Putting several blankets over the whole system should do the trick?
During Uri, after electricity went out and the pool pump couldn't run 24 hours/day, I ended up draining the water from the filter and wrapping up the pipes as much as I could. There is a plug at the bottom you can unscrew to drain the water as texsn95 mentioned. You can also open the air release valve on top of the filter to facilitate the draining once the water starts slowing down.

When the temperatures came back up, I turned the pump back on and everything worked fine.
Seabreeze
texsn95 said:

Sea Speed said:

Well there's 2 ways here, 1 is that you can leave everything running, since the chance of a power outage like we had a few years ago is relatively low, but still possible. So if it does go out for an extended period, you're kind of screwed.
Or try to drain and cover everything you can. Blankets etc don't help that much if they don't touch the ground, which helps to insulate. If I just open my multi-port to Waste, the filter will mostly drain out, and there's a plug at the bottom, and can wrap or cover the lower pipes. I have a salt cell this year I have to protect unlike with the last freeze.

This, pretty much, also YouTube has some good winterizing tips for pools.
Agz_2003
AG
Here is a video if you happen to have a Hayward filter. Start around the 5 minute mark and go to a little after 6:30.

Sea Speed
AG
Can't watch YouTube where I'm at so will have to do my best to explain it to my wife from whatever articles I can find as well as these posts. Nunber one will be just keep it running. Thanks all.
Seabreeze
tandy miller said:

This will probably kill my lemon tree. It's huge, so not sure how I'd cover it. I got it from life

Water well at the base the tree it will need it,and will help protect the roots. Wet soil radiates more ground heat than dry soil. Strip of all fruit, wrap the trunk to the base of the limbs. If it's and older tree, it will be more hardier than younger trees. Good luck
Seabreeze
25 or below for an extended time, queen palms are dead. Most others native to South Texas seem to do fine.
agz win
AG
oh great. can't find the water turn off key. It grew legs.
sushi94
AG
Sea Speed - I don't know how old your pool is but mine that I put in about 4 years ago - the pump kicks on automatically when temp gets below 32 .

The problem wil be if you lose power for an extended time. During Uri we lost power once during the night and I had to go out and empty the system - drain the filter and open everything up.
txags92
AG
tandy miller said:

This will probably kill my lemon tree. It's huge, so not sure how I'd cover it. I got it from life
First, bury the trunk of the tree up to about 18" off the ground in mulch or compost to protect the graft point for the tree. Build a frame out of 1" PVC large enough to go over and around your tree and use screws to hold the pipes into the elbows. Drape plant blankets over the frame and use heavy duty spring clamps to hold the blankets to the frame and binder clips to connect the blankets to each other. Throw a rope over the top and use tent stakes to anchor it to the ground. Before you cover it, wrap the tree with old style incandescent christmas lights (not LED) and plug them into to an outside outlet with a weather rated extension cord. The lights will keep the tree warm under the blankets. In the event the power goes out, the mulch will protect the tree above the graft location and allow it to resprout from the trunk, even if the rest of the tree dies. Worked for us with a lime, two satsumas and an avocado during the Feb 21 freeze.
Fitch
AG
Didn't see this earlier but apparently the Euro model went a little hard on the eggnog.

Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
Fitch said:

Didn't see this earlier but apparently the Euro model went a little hard on the eggnog.

atmtws
AG
Get a heat tape strip.
Seabreeze
I need what the euros been smoking.
CFTXAG10
Sea Speed
AG
Seabreeze said:

I need what the euros been smoking.

Can probably get it legally there at sublingwell in Kemah
tk for tu juan
Seabreeze
Or Firehouse, they sell there now
Sea Speed
AG
Nice. I'll have to have my wife check them out when she needs a refill.
Mostly Foggy Recollection
CPC is on board with hazardous cold
RangerRick9211
AG
Eff this. Heading back home to a) let my daughter hang with grandparents, b) escape SAD of PNW, c) escape **** ton of snow so far this year, and d) ****ing Tony's and Whataburger. Turn on the heater. I only packed shorts.
Seabreeze
Models looking much better this morning
Dill-Ag13
AG
Better meaning colder or warmer? I want single digits again
Tom Cardy
AG
Better as in we'll probably keep the lights on and pipes intact, but still get a good bit of chill
wessimo
AG

tandy miller
AG
Tom Cardy said:

Better as in we'll probably keep the lights on and pipes intact, but still get a good bit of chill

I want chaos
TSJ
AG
Ha! I am supposed to inspect some wrecked vehicles (outside) in Amarillo and Dalhart from 12/19-12/21.
555-PINF
My already fragile mental state can't handle another major freeze. Way too many busted pipes, cold kids and ice cold showers in a house that's already in the 40s due to no power, driving across the state to source pvc repair parts, etc. back in 2021.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Plan ahead!

I was shocked but I called and booked a chimney sweeping for today. I can't believe they were available.

And I'm well aware that decorative fireplaces are extremely poor at heating. But hell, I want a fire.
aTm '99
Anti-taxxer
AG
This. I can't even make my mind think back to those days of 21. I've been through a lot of miserable **** in my life. Those few days were by far the most miserably ****ty.
Martin Q. Blank
Mostly Foggy Recollection said:

CPC is on board with hazardous cold

The Rio Grande has some magical properties to protect Mexico like that.
Seabreeze
Yep, i didn't have any pipe bust in '21 but my dad did. His supply of pvc, and fittings was 25+ years old and really not usable. Talking stuff left over from '83. Rolling around Houston for non existent supplies sucked. Early this spring i went and stocked up for both of us on everything for the future. If you don't have it, go get it soon before the panic sets in if this actually comes to pass,
Seabreeze

Seabreeze

Cromagnum
AG
Good advice. Always good to have spare linear runs of pvc you can cut up as needed, elbows, unions, pvc glue, and some sharkbite fittings on hand.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.