Houston
Sponsored by

Icepocalypse watch 2022/2023

175,096 Views | 1531 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jock 07
Irish 2.0
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We need more nuclear energy…
htxag09
AG
Everyone be careful! According to nextdoor, "they" are monitoring your thermostat and shutting off your electricity if you set your heat above 68!!!
gougler08
AG
It makes me sad that people who believe that have votes that count the same as me
Teddy Perkins
AG
TRIPPY! Go fullscreen for this one.

txags92
AG
htxag09 said:

Everyone be careful! According to nextdoor, "they" are monitoring your thermostat and shutting off your electricity if you set your heat above 68!!!
For people who signed deals giving them cheaper rates in exchange for handing over that control, it is probably true. Read the fine print and don't ***** about it when it gets used against you.
CDUB98
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

TRIPPY! Go fullscreen for this one.

Nature is awesome.
Ridge14
Welp external faucets are frozen this morning in Cypress

Had them covered in bag type cover as well as hard shell cover
Dimebag Darrell
Everyone still dripping? Amazing how stupid and hopeless every arctic blast makes me feel. Feels more like a roll of the dice than anything.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Same, houses aren't built for it. Little rest and a lot of vigilance
AgLA06
AG
Ridge14 said:

Welp external faucets are frozen this morning in Cypress

Had them covered in bag type cover as well as hard shell cover

I used heat cables this time and they've worked like a charm.

I actually only used 2 of the 3 to start and the toilet supply line in the inside of the one I only wrapped froze. So I installed the heat cable on the last hose bib like I should have and the toilet was flowing again in 30 minutes.

I'm so impressed I might buy a longer one for the main run in the attic for next time.
Ridge14
I guess I should just hit these with a hair dryer? Then see if any water starts coming through the walls? Any other ways to tell?
BAP Enthusiast
Ryan the Temp said:

BMX Bandit said:

Ryan the Temp said:

BMX Bandit said:

State law requires "adequate shelter"
And outside is not "adequate shelter."

If you have a big enough dog house it is.
Frok did not specify that the neighbor's dog had a doghouse, so the understanding was that the neighbor's dog lacks adequate shelter.

Some dogs love the cold and refuse to come in when it does get cold. For example, if you have a Husky, they can survive outside easily in up to -75 outside. They are bred for cold weather. Of course having one of these kinds of dogs in Houston is dumb as hell but it does happen.

People really don't understand just how different some breeds are from others. I would check the breed first before calling the cops. If it's a cold weather dog then it should be perfectly fine.
CDUB98
AG
I personally don't understand people in Houston who get Huskies, Malamuts, etc. They are a cold weather breed and even inside the house, it is hot for them.

Then of course, people take them for walks in the middle of August.
Bob Lee
AG
Brittmoore Car Club said:

Everyone still dripping? Amazing how stupid and hopeless every arctic blast makes me feel. Feels more like a roll of the dice than anything.

Same. I just fill my bathtubs, turn the water off at the main, and turn our water heaters off if we're gonna be in the teens or into the twenties for a couple days. I can still brush my teeth and flush the toilets. The only thing I can't do is shower, which is a small sacrifice for peace of mind. The stakes are too high.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Because people are idiots and addicted to letting everyone know on social media they "have a dog." Even if it means giving the poor dog borderline heat stroke on an August Saturday on a patio at a ****ty, overpriced brunch spot.
combat wombat™
AG
No, it's not. Shut the water off at the main. They're paying the college-aged house sitter to deal with this. They can call dad.
Dimebag Darrell
CDUB98 said:

I personally don't understand people in Houston who get Huskies, Malamuts, etc. They are a cold weather breed and even inside the house, it is hot for them.

Then of course, people take them for walks in the middle of August.

Aesthetics. People tend to be pretty selfish and shallow creatures. Would be a nightmare to be bred for Siberia, but living in Houston. I'd think Arizona might even be preferable.
MAS444
AG
Gonna freeze again tonight so are y'all…. Still Drippin?

Obviously won't be near as cold but still a few hours at/under freezing. I'm leaving today and won't be back for a few days so trying to decide…. Leaning against it.
Dimebag Darrell
I think we still will at nights. We've stopped for now though. I am thankful it's been sunny at least. Should help heat walls and attics up. This would be a lot worse if overcast and wet.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I don't think we're getting far enough below freezing or being below for long enough to warrant dripping. At least southeast of town. I may still run the water enough to get the water that's been sitting there out, but that'll probably be it.
htxag09
AG
In rice military/cottage grove and have low water pressure. Anyone else? Issues at pumping stations again or just low pressure due to lots of houses with leaks?
aTm2004
AG

I'm sure Sly has been leaking all night with airport intern.
Ag_07
AG
May be from everyone dripping.
Martin Q. Blank
aTm2004 said:

I reported a broken water main a month ago. Still not fixed.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Broken mains indeed. Houston absolutely sucks.
aTm '99
Irish 2.0
Gonna go turn on my sprinklers out of spite.
htxag09
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

aTm2004 said:

I reported a broken water main a month ago. Still not fixed.

Not to worry….caught them working on it

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cl_NHMMrBPG/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y
wessimo
AG
Boil water notice imminent?
Stat Monitor Repairman
MAS444 said:

Gonna freeze again tonight so are y'all…. Still Drippin?
Jethro95
AG
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Tap water does taste funkier than usual right now.
Duck Blind
AG
Dripping again tonight.

Do any of you just drip the sink farthest away from your main line entry in your house? I've read several articles stating that method keeps the whole system moving. I'm
too chicken **** to try that.
Tom Cardy
AG
I do farthest tap from the source, any lines on an exterior wall, and the flush the furthest toilet every few hours just to be sure
P.H. Dexippus
AG
htxag09 said:

Not currently. But give it a few years. The technology is already here, the ideology is already here, it's just a matter of when it will be crammed down on us, and by which alphabet agency (FERC, EPA, HUD, other?).
Tom Cardy
AG
P.H. Dexippus said:

htxag09 said:

Not currently. But give it a few years. The technology is already here, the ideology is already here, it's just a matter of when it will be crammed down on us, and by which alphabet agency (FERC, EPA, HUD, other?).

Some providers in Houston already have these programs in place - you get a discounted rate on electricity if you allow them to control the thermostat during peak demand times or conservation notices. They even offer to provide the thermostat for free

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.