Houston
Sponsored by

Icepocalypse watch 2022/2023

175,076 Views | 1531 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jock 07
Ducks4brkfast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TP Ag '87 said:

Stupid question: do those also impact (help) the overall flow (and anti-freezing) of internal pipes as well?
Yes/ If they're dripping, the water in your lines is moving. No different than dripping a kitchen sink.
combat wombat™
AG
The mechanism that allows the Freeze Miser to work as designed wouldn't work in a heated home, I don't think.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
combat wombat said:

The mechanism that allows the Freeze Miser to work as designed wouldn't work in a heated home, I don't think.
You are correct.

However, it won't be working in a heated home. It'll still be working on an exterior hose bib, allowing water to continuing flowing through the home's pipes during a freeze, and thus helping to reduce the chances of water freezing within the lines and breaking pipes.
Duck Blind
AG
combat wombat said:

Correct. It has thermal wax that constricts at 37*. Once above that temp it expands and shuts off the flow. This is based on water temperature. Not air temp. House water would still be too warm I think.

To install you simply screw on the faucet. Turn the water on all the way. It does the rest. I would assume it's moving water throughout your system when it's dripping.
htxag09
AG
Duck Blind said:

I went out of my comfort zone this freeze and bought 4 Freeze Misers for my outside faucets. They worked as advertised. No issues. Dripped when the temp hit 37 and shut off when it went above it.

$60 for two of these the normal Amazon price or is it the oh **** reaction price and I should wait a few months to order?
terradactylexpress
Camelcamelcamel.com
Sazerac
AG
That's normal price

They have been in my saved for 2 years…
cone
AG
wessimo said:

Round one pretty much over; Joe B calling for round two around Jan 10.

checking in
Mostly Foggy Recollection
I can see it coming from a mile away. It's gonna get very cold again in late Jan /early Feb
cone
AG
probably a good bet
rancher1953
Joe Knows, In Joe I trust, have been following him for years. Remember when he and Joe Sobel were doing weather with Bill Zach on the morning farm and ranch show on KTRH.
CDUB98
AG
This is reminding me of winter 97-98. I was co-op'ing in Longview at a job that often required is to work outside. January was nice to warm then February hit and we froze our balls off all month.
Sea Speed
AG
Well what the hell, my plants didn't make it and I just realized my hose reels cracked and are useless now, so let's bring on the next one.
Chewy
AG
How cold we talking? A few hours in the 20s or days in the teens?
ChipFTAC01
AG
Mostly Foggy Recollection said:

I can see it coming from a mile away. It's gonna get very cold again in late Jan /early Feb

God I hope so. 80degrees in January is ridiculous
CDUB98
AG
I dunno. I'm out on my driveway drinking beer in shorts and it feels great.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I love cold weather, but today's pretty damned nice. And I get to enjoy my outside tv I just hung up.

htxag09
AG
CDUB98 said:

To be fair I don't think he was talking about today…high today is what 69? Think just about everyone would take that any day. Yesterday was in the 80's and humid.
ChipFTAC01
AG
CDUB98 said:

Good point

Cromagnum
AG
Nah. We get like 7 months of the year where it's 80 plus. Now isn't the time for that *****
BohunkAg
AG
Quincey P. Morris said:

I love cold weather, but today's pretty damned nice. And I get to enjoy my outside tv I just hung up.

Is that on the side of your house?
maroon barchetta
I was wondering the same thing.
Texaggie7nine
What's the big deal? That soffit is more than ample to cover that screen from the elements.
7nine
aTm2004
AG
BohunkAg said:

Quincey P. Morris said:

No. He lives in a patio home and that's his neighbor's house. When the neighbor came out to see what the issue was (in a mask and Lina for Houston shirt), Quincey told him to **** right off as the alpha should. Neighbor is currently waiting for his wife's boyfriend to confront Quincey.
agz win
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

What's the big deal? That soffit is more than ample to cover that screen from the elements.
And not so difficult to take in and out of the house when wanting to watch a game while enjoying the outdoors.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
BohunkAg said:

Quincey P. Morris said:

The best TV in Houston is in his backsideyard.
swimmerbabe11
lol that says backside

backside means butt.
Jackal99
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

lol that says backside

backside means butt.
Go on...
aTm2004
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

lol that says backside

backside means butt.

Sup?
Fitch
AG
https://twitter.com/BigJoe*******i/status/1615528984204410880

CDUB98
AG
Doesn't look bad for us at all.
gougler08
AG
Actually having cold weather like a normal Jan/Feb would be better than 75+
Mostly Foggy Recollection
CDUB98 said:

Doesn't look bad for us at all.

People misunderstand that map a lot. Thats daily average temp. Not high or low.

So if our average daily temp is 52-53 degrees this time of year, take off 10-20 degrees and for the record, models are almost always on the warm side with Arctic air. They don't handle modification and timing well. My thoughts are that the first week of February looks the coldest on the weeklies, but overall I'm siding with a moderately below average February with two solid cold fronts.

There's some Mets siding with Nina climo (warm and dry) but we are entering what looks more like a Nino pattern. Cool and wet with some potential bowling ball lows across the state delivering the white stuff.
Fitch
AG
Sounds fine by me. Prefer the cold this time of year.

Just keep the hard freezes at bay.
Tom Cardy
AG
bingo

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.