Houston
Sponsored by

Icepocalypse watch 2022/2023

175,022 Views | 1531 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jock 07
BayAg_14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anything under 50 is a win in my book. Don't need the hard freeze.
redag06
Martin Q. Blank said:

Mostly Foggy Recollection said:

CPC is on board with hazardous cold

The Rio Grande has some magical properties to protect Mexico like that.
Too bad it doesn't work the opposite way.
maroon barchetta
redag06 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

CPC is on board with hazardous cold

The Rio Grande has some magical properties to protect Mexico like that.
Too bad it doesn't work the opposite way.

Maybe we need sharks with frickin laser beams released into the river.
HtownAg92
AG
TSJ said:

Ha! I am supposed to inspect some wrecked vehicles (outside) in Amarillo and Dalhart from 12/19-12/21.
When I think of places I'd least like to be during a windy arctic blast, I usually think of Siberia, Fargo and Amarillo.

Good luck.
CDUB98
AG
HtownAg92 said:

TSJ said:

Ha! I am supposed to inspect some wrecked vehicles (outside) in Amarillo and Dalhart from 12/19-12/21.
When I think of places I'd least like to be during a windy arctic blast, I usually think of Siberia, Fargo and Amarillo.

Good luck.

Get bent.

Amarillo is not as bad as y'all make it out to be. They are actually much better prepared for weather like this. Assuming my house would stay intact without any pipe bursts, I'd rather be up there with my parents and sanity verses the chaos that will be unleashed in Houston with 1" of ice and snow.
Cromagnum
AG
CDUB98 said:

HtownAg92 said:

TSJ said:

Good luck.

Get bent.

Amarillo is not as bad as y'all make it out to be. They are actually much better prepared for weather like this. Assuming my house would stay intact without any pipe bursts, I'd rather be up there with my parents and sanity verses the chaos that will be unleashed in Houston with 1" of ice and snow.

When Houston gets like that, I turn on the news with a glass of Whiskey and laugh at the morons.
HtownAg92
AG
CDUB98 said:

HtownAg92 said:

TSJ said:

Good luck.

Get bent.

I'm talking about places that seem 10X colder than the temperature because of the lack of natural barriers to the cold. Nothing against Amarillo. Got friends and had family there.
CDUB98
AG
This is, of course, opinion only, but due to the humidity, I have always felt way colder in Houston than in Amarillo.
txags92
AG
CDUB98 said:

This is, of course, opinion only, but due to the humidity, I have always felt way colder in Houston than in Amarillo.
The City's indifference to you doesn't help...
Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

Amarillo is not as bad as y'all make it out to be.
I Am A Critic
CDUB98 said:

HtownAg92 said:

TSJ said:

Good luck.

Get bent.

You should probably give yourself a head start and leave now.
Username checks out.
cone
AG
We have located the BFE Respecter.
CDUB98
AG
Watched the Fox26 5 o'clock weather. No mention at all of our impending, icy doom.

Forecast through next Wednesday completely normal. Did the models moderate quite a bit?
Mostly Foggy Recollection
Not really. ABC, NBC and CBS have been on it

Still too far out for confidence in much other than it's going to be colder than normal.
GiggityAg01
AG
CDUB98 said:

HtownAg92 said:

TSJ said:

Good luck.

Get bent.

Holy small man's complex Batman!

Seabreeze
CDUB98 said:

Watched the Fox26 5 o'clock weather. No mention at all of our impending, icy doom.

Forecast through next Wednesday completely normal. Did the models moderate quite a bit?

It will be cold around Christmas lows in the upper 20's in Houston for a few nights, High's in the low 40's it's looking like. But model runs keep shifting more North and East, so just a glancing blow as of now. But things can turn back the other way. For now that's what it is.
txags11
AG
Frank Billingsley made a switch in his forecast between the 4 and 5..at 4 he had Christmas Eve and the 23rd like 50/35..at 5 he had highs of 36 lows of 28
Seabreeze
That's sounds about right, it's Wednesday and we are talking about a forecast for next Friday. By Saturday of this week we will have a good idea of where we sit.
Cromagnum
AG
Seabreeze said:

CDUB98 said:

It will be cold around Christmas lows in the upper 20's in Houston for a few nights, High's in the low 40's it's looking like. But model runs keep shifting more North and East, so just a glancing blow as of now. But things can turn back the other way. For now that's what it is.

Good. Send it all to New England.
Fitch
AG
Ole' Joe is hanging on to the models not being able to interpret the extreme cold a la Feb 2021.

Original Tweet

Talking with a long range forecaster who is very good and a local NWS met and they both agree.
Tom Cardy
AG
They think it's going to be bad down here, or they think the models don't work for cold like this?
They think it's going to get very cold.
Fitch
AG
The 00z model runs are coming in now and seem to have flipped back to a whole mess of cold.

The GFS and Canadian models both had highs in Houston in the lower 30's for the 23rd-25th, and highs in the 20's and teens where I'm going for the holidays up near Sherman.

We'll see what the ensemble runs look like...
TexAg91
AG

They think it's going to get very cold.

For how long?
JSKolache
AG
Not much to add other than I like how Space City calls out Travis Herzog as a rabble rouser, but with naming names. Homeboy definitely knows how to generate clicks for his team.
Seabreeze
AAAAAAAND the models have shifted back this morning to balls cold for 3 days starting the 23rd.
Anti-taxxer
AG
Cold, really cold?

Or cold, miserable, near-death, everything is frozen cold?
Seabreeze
Teens one night, low 20's two other nights for Houston on the Euro, low 20's on the gfs
Seabreeze

Seabreeze

Seabreeze

Serotonin
AG
So that map tells us that it will be 10+ degrees (Celsius) colder than the typical late December Celsius temperature?
Fitch
AG
Canadian model forecast difference from average temps and actual temps.

Models seem to be keeping near or below freezing temps around from 12/23 - 27.

Seabreeze
SCW usually drops around 7am, will be interesting to see what they say.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.