Houston
Sponsored by

Icepocalypse watch 2022/2023

175,035 Views | 1531 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jock 07
schmellba99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aTm2004 said:

Sea Speed said:

We've had those arguments about similar things but I dont let my kids win them because I know better than them about what is best for them.
You see, I can't have that argument because I wear shorts and flip flops 95% of the time. Hell, I wore them this morning when I dropped them off at school and grabbed a few things from the grocery store. I did have a hoodie on, because I'm not a moster.
Same.

It's also not like the kids will be outside working the fields in this weather - the extent of their exposure is limited to the walk from the car to the door of the school and maybe between classes. We aren't talking Prudhoe Bay here, it's Texas winter. I'll take being inside and being comfortable versus wearing 37 layers for the 30 seconds I'll be outside then having to deal with all of that crap all day after.
CFTXAG10
AG
Thundersleet sounds fun....

Cromagnum
AG
Furlock Bones said:

My buddy in APD said they had 60-70 wrecks in one hour. They can't even respond to them all. There was a fatality wreck near downtown. Rumor is the person exited the vehicle and cars were still piling up.

How stupid are people? They couldn't wait to work from home the last two years, and now on ice day, they must suddenly make a commute.
Sea Speed
AG
Cromagnum said:

Furlock Bones said:

My buddy in APD said they had 60-70 wrecks in one hour. They can't even respond to them all. There was a fatality wreck near downtown. Rumor is the person exited the vehicle and cars were still piling up.

How stupid are people? They couldn't wait to work from home the last two years, and now on ice day, they must suddenly make a commute.

Whoever they are, we know their name isn't Brenda
ChipFTAC01
AG
schmellba99 said:

aTm2004 said:

Sea Speed said:

We've had those arguments about similar things but I dont let my kids win them because I know better than them about what is best for them.
You see, I can't have that argument because I wear shorts and flip flops 95% of the time. Hell, I wore them this morning when I dropped them off at school and grabbed a few things from the grocery store. I did have a hoodie on, because I'm not a moster.
Same.

It's also not like the kids will be outside working the fields in this weather - the extent of their exposure is limited to the walk from the car to the door of the school and maybe between classes. We aren't talking Prudhoe Bay here, it's Texas winter. I'll take being inside and being comfortable versus wearing 37 layers for the 30 seconds I'll be outside then having to deal with all of that crap all day after.

This. I worked out outside this morning at 530 in shorts and a sweatshirt. Half the guys had on shorts. Wore a vest to walk my kids to school and to walk from the garage into the office. It's going to be 80*again next week probably so I'll take this while I can.
combat wombat™
AG
Sea Speed said:

Doesn't sound like yours learned very well.

I could have also gone with "yea, my experience taught me to not let my kids win arguments."

Or, JUST MAYBE, they decided they weren't uncomfortable enough to need long pants.
maroon barchetta
Thundersleet!

New band name!

Called it!
htxag09
AG
What a dumb ***** fight this thread has turned into
Sea Speed
AG
htxag09 said:

You don't need to get mad because your kids don't listen to you either.
Al Bula
AG
htxag09 said:

Never underestimate the drive, desire and will power it takes to out-argue and prove yourself to complete strangers.
BrazosDog02
AG
Im more interested in the weather models that called this 12 days ago. I find it fascinating how local meteorologists pick and choose what the talk about. Now, most are trying to play it up since now it looks like the models are right …. 24 hours away. It's like we learned nothing from Harvey.

Good times.
Tom Cardy
AG
When there isn't much consensus on the models, it's hard to draw any conclusions. Especially for events like this that are low level cold air, models have always struggled to be correct.

There are so many factors that go into things like this, and sometimes we just don't have as much lead time as you'd like to see. The models should adapt, but for some reason they have a hard time with particular events like this one
The Kraken
AG
Cromagnum said:

Furlock Bones said:

Many people, including myself, have jobs that you can't work from home. That said, everything that can should be shut down in Austin.
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
Ag_07
AG
I understand this as another example of models underestimating the impacts of artic air.
aTm2004
AG
Sea Speed said:

htxag09 said:

You don't need to get mad because your kids don't listen to you either.

I've thought about buying an expensive bottle of whiskey and just sitting on it until the day my kids realize that their mom and I know what we're talking about.
aTm2004
AG
Weren't most of them saying that it would get cold, but it's still too far out to know for sure? I know Channel 13 was saying that back in December. Hinting the models are showing it, but need to wait to know for sure. I agree with that approach. Drop it's out there, but don't go full apocolypse until you're certain. I mean, they play it up weeks out and it never materializes, their credibility is tanked and nobody will listen the next go around when they're right.
Tom Cardy
AG
Bingo - most media need to retain credibility. That's why the "xtreme forecast" Twitter and YouTube people do what they do, because they have no inherent credibility unless they hit something before everyone else and it ends up being a big deal.
Fitch
AG
RK said:

i like to let me kids learn lessons in stupidity for themselves.

as someone who, as a child in alaska, refused to wear a hat to recess every day, despite my parents instruction. until one day i got sent to the nurse with frostbite on my ear. makes me feel good that my kids are as dumb as i am.
Touching the hot stove is a much more memorable lesson than being told not to.

Speaking from experience, of course.
Cromagnum
AG
Fitch said:

RK said:

as someone who, as a child in alaska, refused to wear a hat to recess every day, despite my parents instruction. until one day i got sent to the nurse with frostbite on my ear. makes me feel good that my kids are as dumb as i am.

That's a right of passage for every kid.
txags92
AG
Cromagnum said:

Fitch said:

RK said:

That's a right of passage for every kid.
How rite you are.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
David Happymountain said:

htxag09 said:

Never underestimate the drive, desire and will power it takes to out-argue and prove yourself to complete strangers.
cone
AG
ice or not it's still miserable outside
Anti-taxxer
AG
This weather suuuucccckkkkks.

But at least it's not icy.
CAR96
AG
So have the rain totals decreased for area's north of I 10? Tomball, Spring, The Woodlands and Conroe. Earlier in the week it was 2" and isolated spots of more. Now is less than .75".

All the local weather tv stations are focusing on his the ice storm...and this is the local Houston area stations.
Ag_07
AG
From SCW this morning

Quote:

Back in the Houston area, light to moderate showers will be possible today and tonight ahead of a front that will finally shove this low pressure system away and clear our skies. Overall accumulations today, tonight, and into Thursday probably will be on the order of 0.25 to 0.75 inch, so this will be more of a nuisance rain rather than something that prompts a flooding concern. But the wetness will just add to the misery of gray skies and chilly winds. Don't expect highs today to rise above the low 40s, and overnight lows will drop into the upper 30s.
Fitch
AG
Just looooooovvveeeee being on a construction site on days like this.
maroon barchetta
I had a lot of days in the field in chemical plants where we knew it would be a rainout but contractually we needed to show up to the plant anyway and wait it out for an hour or two.

Before smart phones and internet, that meant buying a Post AND a Chronicle that morning instead of just a Post.

Gotta work the Jumble.
AgLA06
AG
Fitch said:

I always said the same Jan -Feb and July-Aug.

March to May and October to December were awesome.
CDUB98
AG
Fitch said:

Been there, done that. Sucks balls.
Sea Speed
AG
I learned the other day that the SCW guys are employed by Chenier to run the wx service for their LNG terminal at Sabine pass. I thought that was cool. Good for them.
Cromagnum
AG
CAR96 said:

So have the rain totals decreased for area's north of I 10? Tomball, Spring, The Woodlands and Conroe. Earlier in the week it was 2" and isolated spots of more. Now is less than .75".

All the local weather tv stations are focusing on his the ice storm...and this is the local Houston area stations.

Cold rain is boring and doesn't bring ratings. They need car accidents, fires, and pileups.
Fitch
AG
AgLA06 said:

Fitch said:

I always said the same Jan -Feb and July-Aug.

March to May and October to December were awesome.
Last July and August in College Station were brutal. Never sweated so much in my damn life...

I'll take the cold before that again.
HtownAg92
AG
cone said:

ice or not it's still miserable outside
My son's soccer practice last night was a lot of fun -- at least we had to stare dead into the drizzly wind to watch.

I was commenting to my kids this morning -- if we are going to have this BS weather at least give us snow.
CDUB98
AG
The bottom two feet of my entire house is cold af. Noticeably different. Stupid cost of energy. But, I am thankful I at least do have some heat rather than the debacle two years ago.
schmellba99
AG
Anti-taxxer said:

This weather suuuucccckkkkks.

But at least it's not icy.
This. So much this.

Gonna take a month at least before it gets close to dry out there.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.