Houston
Sponsored by

Icepocalypse watch 2022/2023

175,094 Views | 1531 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jock 07
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
P.H. Dexippus said:

htxag09 said:

Everyone be careful! According to nextdoor, "they" are monitoring your thermostat and shutting off your electricity if you set your heat above 68!!!

Not currently. But give it a few years. The technology is already here, the ideology is already here, it's just a matter of when it will be crammed down on us, and by which alphabet agency (FERC, EPA, HUD, other?).
They absolutely are doing this already. Some utilities offer extra low rates, but require you to allow them to put their thermostat in your house. When they need people to conserve, they will drop your thermostat setting (or raise it in the summer) without asking you, because you already signed paperwork giving them permission to do so when you agreed to the lower rate.
Cromagnum
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

MAS444 said:

Gonna freeze again tonight so are y'all…. Still Drippin?

Still dripping on 44's.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Seabreeze said:

Well my dumb ass figured leave the North facing outside faucet, which also is used as a pool fill line dripping... pvc froze blocking an exit for the drip to the pool. Two hair dryers a fresh set of towels and a garbage bag as a wind block got it all defrosted. No more drip for me. This has never happened.

In the future, just leave this permanently installed and you'll never have to worry again:

+

+
Dr. Doctor
AG
Until we lose power....

~egon
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
txags92 said:

P.H. Dexippus said:

htxag09 said:

Everyone be careful! According to nextdoor, "they" are monitoring your thermostat and shutting off your electricity if you set your heat above 68!!!

Not currently. But give it a few years. The technology is already here, the ideology is already here, it's just a matter of when it will be crammed down on us, and by which alphabet agency (FERC, EPA, HUD, other?).
They absolutely are doing this already. Some utilities offer extra low rates, but require you to allow them to put their thermostat in your house. When they need people to conserve, they will drop your thermostat setting (or raise it in the summer) without asking you, because you already signed paperwork giving them permission to do so when you agreed to the lower rate.
Reminds me of those geniuses on r/houston blaming the governor and the infamous Texas power grid for their thermostats not going below 68 or whatever in August. Never mind that 68 is about as low as I ever set it.
Ragoo
AG
txags92 said:

P.H. Dexippus said:

htxag09 said:

demand response
sushi94
AG
Kinda weird. Left my house today and my nest thermostats went into "eco" mode. Was concerned the heaters wouldn't kick on. Had to take them off "eco" mode even though I never switched them to Eco mode.
aTm2004
AG
They have motion sensors, and when you left and they sensed nobody was home, they went into eco mode, which is essentially your away settings. It does this every time the house is empty, but you've probably never looked or noticed. It's the thermostats doing what they're designed to do (and why you probably put them in) and not anything nefarious from a third party.
Captain Winky
Nice try Big Utility
AgLA06
AG
Anyone have some leak seal compression tape I can use to stop a leak at a pex connection near GOOF?

Shot in the dark since no one is open until Monday.
Ryan the Temp
AG
aTm2004 said:

They have motion sensors, and when you left and they sensed nobody was home, they went into eco mode, which is essentially your away settings. It does this every time the house is empty, but you've probably never looked or noticed. It's the thermostats doing what they're designed to do (and why you probably put them in) and not anything nefarious from a third party.
Mine goes into Eco mode at night when I go to bed (allowing my house to get close to 50 degrees Friday morning). You can go to settings and select "Home for now" and it won't go into Eco mode. Or you can disable Eco mode entirely.
Dr. Doctor
AG
AgLA06 said:

Anyone have some leak seal compression tape I can use to stop a leak at a pex connection near GOOF?

Don't but you could use an old bike inner tube and 2 hose clamps. Or any other rubber you have and hose clamps.

~egon
Ryan the Temp
AG
Ryan the Temp
AG
AgLA06 said:

I have PEX tools and crimp rings you can borrow if you want to try to make the repair yourself. I'm in the Heights.
AgLA06
AG
Thanks. I'll let you know. It looks like I have shark teeth connections.

Running the faucet a little has taken the pressure off and stopped the leak for now until I can get a plan to crawl back up there.
Ryan the Temp
AG
I'm heading to the in-laws' place around noon and should be back home around 5 or 6.
LRHF
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

aTm2004 said:

Mine goes into Eco mode at night when I go to bed (allowing my house to get close to 50 degrees Friday morning). You can go to settings and select "Home for now" and it won't go into Eco mode. Or you can disable Eco mode entirely.

You have the ability to adjust the programmed eco mode temp
AgLA06
AG
Reason 456 why I installed an Ecobee instead.
jetch17
AG
Ryan the Temp
AG
LRHF said:

Ryan the Temp said:

aTm2004 said:

You have the ability to adjust the programmed eco mode temp
My heater was losing the battle against the cold, anyway.
Dr. Venkman
AG
AgLA06 said:

Thanks. I'll let you know. It looks like I have shark teeth connections.

Running the faucet a little has taken the pressure off and stopped the leak for now until I can get a plan to crawl back up there.
I have several shark bite end stop fittings you're welcome to borrow. Just cut the affected pipe and push on. email in profile.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
AgLA06 said:

I've got pex tools and some fittings/pipe that you're welcome to, in westbury, home all day
terradactylexpress
Don't use the shark bites, take one of these offers for the crimping tool
wessimo
AG
Round one pretty much over; Joe B calling for round two around Jan 10.
CowtownAg06
AG
He's not necessarily saying round 2, especially here. He's saying that even though Jan starts very warm, we will have variability back to cold (typical la nina winter). Not to get too nerdy, but the main drivers of this extreme outbreak are not showing up in the models yet. EPO is negative but not to the extreme we saw mid Dec and more importantly the cold air supply isn't as extreme in that it will access. It's weather so you never know, but no need to be worried yet.
Tom Cardy
AG
Good points, also important to remember that Joe isn't just forecasting Texas and I believe he lives in PA, so his dialogue often references that area by default. Lots of discussion about snow and related impacts for the NE since that's what his job is
AgLA06
AG
terradactylexpress said:

Don't use the shark bites, take one of these offers for the crimping tool

That sounds great, but it's not that easy. The connection in question is the farthest point from my access and under a low point at the edge of the eve. I can barely crawl over there to reach it by hand while dragging my head against roof nails, let alone have space to work a tool.

It appears the problem is as someone mentioned the pex pipe backed out. Mainly because it's only about 2 inches long. I was able to push it back in another half inch or so and the leak has stopped for now.

I'll get back up there tomorrow with compression tape to make sure once stores reopen. After I call my Dr. to verify my tetanus shot is still current.

And now I get to patch the cracks I made in the sheet rock in my kitchen.
Mostly Foggy Recollection
This is a textbook pattern for a 30 day reload of cold. MJO is not constructive and we have a -AO.

Expect a chaotic end to Winter (mid January through March).
CDUB98
AG
Mostly Foggy Recollection said:

Expect a chaotic end to Winter (mid January through March).

Eff me. More days on the trainer instead of outside.
cone
AG
I think we made it boys

proud of y'all
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
Now 49 degrees feels warm
Seabreeze
Cutting everything back that dropped tomorrow, worried about my Mexican palms, every freeze and ice storm before they made it thru. They are very hardy cold weather palms. But with the wind chill they look like they were flash frozen. Everything on the North side looks this way wrapped or not.
Ryan the Temp
AG
I'll be chopping my jasmine and bougainvillea off at the root to start over and the tallow tree out front is going to drop all its leaves, but that's the extent of my damage.
redag06
Cold water on my kitchen sink is still ru Ning at a drip, can't figure out why. Don't feel like cursing on Christmas so will put the deep investigation off for tomorrow
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Seersucker Ag 2011 said:

Now 49 degrees feels warm
It was always warm. It was you who grew cold, my friend.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.