Houston
Sponsored by

Icepocalypse watch 2022/2023

174,989 Views | 1531 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jock 07
CowtownAg06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As long as you have power, a lot of pool systems know when it's freezing and auto run. You shouldn't actually have to touch anything. Tomorrow night, take a look and see if it keeps running in the early evening when it should be off.
CAR96
AG
I guess I don't understand the positives or negatives of turning the water off at the meter near the street vs the shut off valve located on the main inlet supply pipe.
maroon barchetta
Not everyone has that.
Silian Rail
told my annoying neighbor to make sure he tosses a bunch of bleach in his chlorinated pool, just in case he runs out of potable water.
CAR96
AG
My house was built in 1982...and it has a turn off at the main water inlet pipe located on the front spigot.

Would it be ok to turn that off compared to the main water meter located near the street.

I have had a bath room remodel going on this last several days and have used the shut off located on this water inlet pipe.
fka ftc
We drain our water feature for the winter season (DFW area) but during Feb 2021 several of our friends had water features that caused major problems.

You do not need a blower on the spa running. Pool sweep / vacuum should not hurt anything.

Regardless, one or two nights of noise is better than broken ass pool.
Texaggie7nine
I live in an older home as well and I have just closed the valve coming into the house and insulated the pipe and valve by wrapping with towels for the freezes of the past 3 years including the big one. No issues.
7nine
Bregxit
AG
Silian Rail said:

told my annoying neighbor to make sure he tosses a bunch of bleach in his chlorinated pool, just in case he runs out of potable water.

If it is chlorinated why throw bleach in it? Muni water runs about 2ppm of chlorine. Pools are higher than that normally.
TXAG 05
AG
CAR96 said:

I guess I don't understand the positives or negatives of turning the water off at the meter near the street vs the shut off valve located on the main inlet supply pipe.

As long as the pipe is insulated it should be fine, but remember that there will still be water in that pipe up to the valve. Shutting it off at the street takes away that issue.
CAR96
AG
In Feb 2021 I wrapped and insulated the inlet water pipe and left hot/cold water running at every indoor faucet, left the interior attic door open, cabinet doors open....only lost power on that Monday during the day for aobut 6 hours...and had no issues.

This time my dilemma is I will be home for some of the time of this cold weather but not home for some time.
Bregxit
AG
TXAG 05 said:

CAR96 said:

As long as the pipe is insulated it should be fine, but remember that there will still be water in that pipe up to the valve. Shutting it off at the street takes away that issue.

How does the water between the meter and valve go away if you shut it off at the meter?
CowtownAg06
AG
Also, depending on where you live you could have a sperate meter for house and irrigation/pool fill. Cutting at the street makes that a one stop deal instead of two separate.
maroon barchetta
It's underground. It won't freeze.
Bregxit
AG
maroon barchetta said:

I guess I don't understand what is trying to be accomplished by shutting off the main at the meter vs at the house.
Texaggie7nine
The dilemma I have now is, we are leaving town for the next 4 days.

I have a hot water recirculation pump installed to give instant hot water so I can just leave that running with our gas powered water heater while we are gone, or I can shut the water off to the house and leave faucets open.

I'm guessing the shutting off water is still less risk of anything happening.
7nine
Silian Rail
Bregxit said:

Silian Rail said:

If it is chlorinated why throw bleach in it? Muni water runs about 2ppm of chlorine. Pools are higher than that normally.

Chlorine gas
spider96
AG
Bregxit said:

maroon barchetta said:

I guess I don't understand what is trying to be accomplished by shutting off the main at the meter vs at the house.

Theoretically, the water could freeze in the pipe directly behind the water shut off
Bregxit
AG
spider96 said:

Bregxit said:

maroon barchetta said:

Theoretically, the water could freeze in the pipe directly behind the water shut off

You'll still have a column of water in the pipe though right? Most mains come into the wall and up before branching throughout the home through the ceiling. I am speaking of homes on slab foundations.

That's my thought anyway...am I wrong?
Bregxit
AG
Silian Rail said:

Bregxit said:

Silian Rail said:

Chlorine gas

Huh?
HtownAg92
AG
Bregxit said:

Silian Rail said:

Bregxit said:

Silian Rail said:

Chlorine gas

Huh?
Um, I believe it is a joke about having his annoying neighbor put bleach in his pool to get sick or die. Like giving someone evacuation directions by saying "stay on the 610 loop". It's funny because it isn't a really good or safe suggestion.

spider96
AG
Bregxit said:

spider96 said:

Bregxit said:

maroon barchetta said:

You'll still have a column of water in the pipe though right? Most mains come into the wall and up before branching throughout the home through the ceiling. I am speaking of homes on slab foundations.

That's my thought anyway...am I wrong?

If you shut off at the meter by the street then there'd be no water in the pipes in the home to freeze. By shutting off at the home then you'd run a risk, however slight, that the water could freeze in the exterior water main.

At that point, you'd be fighting with everyone else to get a plumber out to do an emergency plumbing repair.
maroon barchetta
My daughter's house has a valve at the street/meter, and another one in a vertical run up into the house. She shuts that one off. It's insulated up to the valve.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
17 pages and its not even cold yet....
CDUB98
AG
Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

There's a lot of people here I'm sure wouldn't make it past 30 days.
Bregxit
AG
maroon barchetta said:

My daughter's house has a valve at the street/meter, and another one in a vertical run up into the house. She shuts that one off. It's insulated up to the valve.
I get that. That is how mine and every house I have owned has been. Meter -> Up to the side of house -> Up out of the ground to ball valve -> Into wall of house -> Vertical run up into ceiling for distribution.

I just don't understand how folks are thinking that shutting off water at the meter causes there to be no water in the pipes. That vertical column of water in the wall is not going to drain when the faucets are opened. So whether the valve at the wall is closed or the meter valve is closed, there is still water in the pipes.

I feel like I am missing some important part of the conversation.
Bregxit
AG
CDUB98 said:

Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

There's a lot of people here I'm sure wouldn't make it past 30 days.
I'm just having conversations. I have Freeze Misers on all my outside spigots, I cleaned out my skimmers and leaf basket and the pump is running 24/7 and I just installed a heat cable where the main enters my house.

Just waiting on the cold.
CDUB98
AG
Because shutting it off at the city connection keeps it from continuously spraying water in the event the pipe before the house shut off valve bursts.

Good grief man.
Bregxit
AG
CDUB98 said:

Because shutting it off at the city connection keeps it from continuously spraying water in the event the pipe before the house shut off valve bursts.

Good grief man.
I'm not arguing, and that isn't the point I was confused about. This was said...

Quote:

If you shut off at the meter by the street then there'd be no water in the pipes in the home to freeze
That is what is confusing me.
CDUB98
AG
Just go have another beer.
Bregxit
AG
CDUB98 said:

Just go have another beer.
So serious. I am just having a chat. Later skater.
tk for tu juan
By removing the pressure (shutting off at meter) and draining downstream of the vertical water column in the wall, the vertical water column has volume to expand longitudinal in the pipe instead of lateral (outward) if it does freeze.

If the supply line does freeze, do turn off the water at the meter before trying to thaw it. The sound of an ice chunk being pushed by 60 psi and flying into the water heater (or the bend above it) provides a nice oh **** moment
Bregxit
AG
tk for tu juan said:

By removing the pressure (shutting off at meter) and draining downstream of the vertical water column in the wall, the vertical water column has volume to expand longitudinal in the pipe instead of lateral (outward) if it does freeze.

If the supply line does freeze, do turn off the water at the meter before trying to thaw it. The sound of an ice chunk being pushed by 60 psi and flying into the water heater (or the bend above it) provides a nice oh **** moment
Yeah I had that oh **** moment in '21 when mine thawed. Luckily the line broke at the first elbow in the garage wall so nothing downstream was effected.

I would add that if you have a ball valve at your main, turn it 45 degrees just like on sprinkler PVBs to help prevent it from splitting.
CAR96
AG
I tried to turn the water off at the meter today, even with my contractor who is doing some remodel work, with a water key that is kinda small and with some pliers and could not get it to turn.

I can call the city...they will probably come out next week.
Sea Speed
AG
T&P for your busted waterlines, bro.
Teddy Perkins
AG
What time is this front supposed to arrive in downtown Houston? All I keep seeing is sometime in the afternoon.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.