Houston
Sponsored by

Icepocalypse watch 2022/2023

175,053 Views | 1531 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jock 07
SJEAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CAR96 said:

Well thanks for some input, but I am more perplexed as to what to do now.

I have running water now. I have dripped pipes inside the house ( 2 vanity faucets and kitchen sink faucet).

I have kept the only interior attic door open so the interior home heat can make it's way into the attic.

I have wrapped the only two outdoor hose bib connections really well.

But I will have to leave town for Saturday night and probably Sunday night...and while I am away I will be a nervous wreck wondering if something is going to be bursting?
If you're not leaving until Saturday night I think you should be OK just doing what you're doing. It's supposed to get into the low 40s and sunny on Sat. Any unnoticed issues from the previous nights will likely thaw and become very evident if they aren't already. Sat night is mid/high 20s and light wind, which shouldn't be bad enough to cause problems given the afternoon warm-up reset. Sunday night is a light freeze at most and of no concern.

Tonight may actually be a bigger threat than last night. Still very cold and will be occurring during a long uninterrupted stretch of subfreezing temps. Get through it and you should be gtg for the rest of the weekend.
CAR96
AG
Thanks for the input. Im also in the middle of a bathroom bath tub shower remodel that is now 7 days with about one more to go….

Really high anxiety now and family pressure to leave town.
CDUB98
AG
Checking in from Amarillo.

It's a bright and sunny 11 degrees with a negative 4 wind chill. About to slap on some clothes and go get some Taco Villa so I personally contribute to global warming.
CDUB98
AG
And LOL at the people wanting to bury existing lines. The cost would be ridiculous.

But, in new construction, it really is the better option. The method Fitch laid out earlier is how we do it in industrial facilities as well. It is very reliable and water intrusion is not an issue.
BohunkAg
AG
JobSecurity said:

toilet in my master bath wont fill, line must've frozen. It's the only exterior wall pipe that I couldn't drip or open a cabinet to keep warm.

Would it be worth running a little space heater pointed at the wall right there to try to warm it up? Or is it too late now
Can't hurt.....
AgLiving06
Exactly. I grew up in Kingwood with mostly buried lines and I can think of only 2 times there was a sustained outage. Once was Ike and once was another deep freeze a couple decades ago.

I never heard of someone accidentally cutting a buried power line.
gougler08
AG
Well pipe burst outside on the wall facing the north wind. The back flow preventer itself survived but inflow pipe froze solid…capped it for now and will just get a plumber out once the rush ends in a couple weeks as don't need the sprinklers anyway
CDUB98
AG
AgLiving06 said:

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Seabreeze
Shouldn't
AgLiving06
CDUB98 said:

AgLiving06 said:

Agreed...but I think we can agree the risk of someone damaging a buried power line is orders of magnitude less than above ground power lines being impacted by an event (weather or being hit by a metro bus, etc).
MAROON
AG
JobSecurity said:

toilet in my master bath wont fill, line must've frozen. It's the only exterior wall pipe that I couldn't drip or open a cabinet to keep warm.

Would it be worth running a little space heater pointed at the wall right there to try to warm it up? Or is it too late now

I have the exact same issue. It's strange because all other faucets in the bathroom work and the sons bathroom which is on the same exterior wall has no issues. Did have the shut off the water for a bit earlier. Shut off valve for my sprinkler system burst and had to cap the pipe. Have taken apart the toilet refill valve and cleaned it still not working .
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
AgLA06
AG
Is there a hose bib on the outside of that wall?
AgLA06
AG
AgLiving06 said:

CDUB98 said:

AgLiving06 said:

Agreed...but I think we can agree the risk of someone damaging a buried power line is orders of magnitude less than above ground power lines being impacted by an event (weather or being hit by a metro bus, etc).

Just like gas lines that don't get cut all the time? Hell the city cut a main run the other day attempting to repair a water line break. Entire neighborhood without gas and water from people that do one thing every day.
Bregxit
AG
Ice column that formed up to one of my Freeze Misers!

maroon barchetta
AgLiving06 said:

CDUB98 said:

AgLiving06 said:

Had a hoe operator tell me he's broken power lines that were buried but they were not in red concrete. He said he never minded hitting those because they just spark a little. They don't cause problems like a natural gas line.
cone
AG
CALL BEFORE YOU DIG
CDUB98
AG
The destruction this Taco Villa is going to unleash later will devastate this house.
AgLA06
AG
Should have done Rosa's instead.
CDUB98
AG
I can get Rosa's easily.

Can only get Taco Villa the couple of times a year I am here.
MAROON
AG
Went outside and opened the faucet on that outside wall. It sputtered like it was starting to freeze up and then starting flowing well. Went upstairs and the toilet had filled. Flushed it and it refilled. Will be dripping that outside faucet tonight. Bad part is that it's under our back porch and right near the back door. I'm either going to have to let it just drip on the concrete porch (creating a large ice rink), put a bucket under, or attach the hose and run it into the yard.
SJEAg
AG
A hose is probably a bad idea.
Cromagnum
AG
Just drip it into a bucket. At worst you might have to dump it, or put a 2nd bucket if the first one freezes.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
AgLiving06 said:

Charismatic Megafauna said:

Well i wrapped every pipe i could find but still no water this morning. Guess i should have dripped, unless other westburyans can confirm a city issue

I'm in Westbury 3 and have water.

Thanks, it's just this one problematic line where the main goes in the wall and up to the attic. A little hairdryer action and we're back in business
SnowboardAg
AG
Neighbor had freezing in a substantial portion of his east wall on a 2 story home with Cpvc. We were able to loosen it up by using portable heater under kitchen sink and running 2 upstair bathrooms, opening attic and running heat at 72, and using heat Guns on some of the exterior walls. He didn't drip the faucets or leave cabinet doors open overnight - lesson learned and he's damn lucky it's not worse.
rcb
AG
SJEAg said:

A hose is probably a bad idea.

Just curious, why is an attached hose a bad idea? We had the pipe running to outside faucet on a north wall bust above our bedroom in '21 as it thawed. We weren't home. Flooded whole house.

We live on a golf course and there are no houses to block that north wind howling against that north facing wall. Probably due to PTSD I dripped that faucet last night with hose attached and ran the hose out to the golf course. So far so good. Still flowing as of few minutes ago.

Should I remove the hose and just let the faucet drip? It would be dripping into some shrubs.

Thanks.

Ryan the Temp
AG
The hose will freeze up quickly and keep the faucet from dripping.
MAROON
AG
Yep. Just walked up my driveway and saw some ice on it. Appears my neighbor had been dripping their outside faucet through a hose all night and it was running just barely onto my driveway.. Looked at the hose. It's frozen solid!
terradactylexpress
Who over that was with cast iron pipes worried about the lack of water causing more issues than them freezing,

You are ****ed either way
Sea Speed
AG
Family took a walk a bit ago. Boy howdy that wind was face melting.
Ryan the Temp
AG
The last galvanized pipe in my house is the risers for my bathroom sink. It ran slow this morning, but opening both taps for about 30 seconds got the ice out. My halogens did the trick.
maroon barchetta
Sea Speed said:

Family took a walk a bit ago. Boy howdy that wind was face melting.

It's a constant sting.
dahouse
AG
No water in the kitchen. The pipes run in the NW corner of the house. Same thing happened last time but it thawed out soon after we got power back.

I've had the tap open all day and the oven running, and we've been cooking.

Still no water, not even a drip.
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
Quincey P. Morris
AG
We had similar in 2021. The first day it got above freezing a little bit I heard a loud vibration suddenly, then a pop, and then there was water coming down the walls. We'd had the pipe freeze before, but it had just melted and was fine. Not so much the second time.
Kenneth_2003
AG
No need to worry about frozen pipes when your water supplier can't provide water to your entire neighborhood every time it gets cold!!!
dahouse
AG
Water started flowing at 4:18! I'm not turning the faucet off
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.