Houston
Sponsored by

Icepocalypse watch 2022/2023

175,046 Views | 1531 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jock 07
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hoyt Ag said:

It was -15 this am and will be again Friday. Htine related I will be in town for a week with the family at the ranch.

Cool story, bro
ChemAg15
AG
It's going to be cold enough to break some water pumps. And the city is dumb enough to not learn a damn thing from 2021.
Charlie Murphy
Sorry if asked, anyone used plug in heat cables? Looks like they are $30 on Amazon. They look simple enough to install.

My irrigation valve seems to be rusted shut.
redag06
Yes, they work great.
Chewy
AG
texags82 said:

Do you cut off water heater if you shut off the water supply valve to the house? Gone for days.
Yes. Not sure on gas but on electric if the top element isn't in water it can burn itself out.
aggiedata
AG
These are a must if you drip your outdoor faucets especially if you will be gone.

Freeze Miser - Outdoor Faucet Freeze Protection | Durable Replacement for Faucet Covers for Winter - Freeze Proof Outdoor Faucet Protector - Low Maintenance & Easy to Install - Saves Water https://a.co/d/8F2J3Ib
CAR96
AG
Next question...can you drain your pipes, turn off the water to the house once the cold already sets in?

So for example, we are expecting the cold weather to set in Friday morning....can you turn off the water Saturday morning or Saturday afternoon?
FarmerJohn
AG
As long as water is flowing, you can turn off the water and protect the pipes. If water doesn't flow, there is an ice dam preventing drainage and the trapped water is a problem if it freezes. But by Saturday if you have no leaks, I think the better plan is to just run water while we hear up above freezing.
Ag_07
AG
Latest from SCW is saying freezing temps from Thursday evening until sometime Saturday.

No precip expected
Seabreeze

CAR96
AG
So I am in the middle of a new bath tub / shower remodel with the job slated to be completed hopefully by Thursday afternoon or Friday.....so trying to shut off the water is a bit tricky depending on when the job is complete.

Good news / bad news.

What would be the advice? Obviously will be asking my contractor how to proceed.
Seabreeze

Seabreeze

Seabreeze

Quincey P. Morris
AG
Well this is going to be fun. We're south of town, so we'll be a little warmer. Looks like we should make it a few degrees above freezing Friday at least. We had a pip burst in the attic in the last freeze which was fun.
htxag09
AG
CAR96 said:

So I am in the middle of a new bath tub / shower remodel with the job slated to be completed hopefully by Thursday afternoon or Friday.....so trying to shut off the water is a bit tricky depending on when the job is complete.

Good news / bad news.

What would be the advice? Obviously will be asking my contractor how to proceed.

Are you living in the house
If yes, I'd just drip a couple faucets and take normal precautions outside
If no, not sure why this is tricky, probably easier then most people as you already have your water heater off, etc. Turn on the water if you need to do any kind of leak test, then turn it off. Or just leave it off and test for leaks after Christmas.
CAR96
AG
Water heater is not off. Water will only be turned off while the workers need it to be and then back on to test once work is completed.

If I turn water off to the house, I will just turn the valved located on the main supply inlet located right if front of the house...not the one in the ground from the city meter.
AustinCountyAg
Quincey P. Morris said:

Well this is going to be fun. We're south of town, so we'll be a little warmer. Looks like we should make it a few degrees above freezing Friday at least. We had a pip burst in the attic in the last freeze which was fun.
did yall lose power when you had the pipe burst?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
No. I'm just a bone head and only dripped the cold side and didn't do that enough as it froze but didn't burst. I think we should be good to go this time and it at least looks like it's not going to be below freezing the whole time.
Charlie Murphy
Why not at the city meter? Not a challenge, I just dont really know what difference that makes.
cone
AG
correct me if i'm wrong

so long as we don't lose power and drip faucets, this is just a deal where the plants die and undrained sprinkler systems rupture

it's cold and you stay inside where it's warm
Seabreeze
Yep if the grid holds like they are promising it will, everyone should be fine.
AustinCountyAg
cone said:

correct me if i'm wrong

so long as we don't lose power and drip faucets, this is just a deal where the plants die and undrained sprinkler systems rupture

it's cold and you stay inside where it's warm
theoretically, yes. my problem is I live in an old house with crap insulation and I worry about the smallest of things.
CAR96
AG
I have a water key and it is flimsy and has not worked to turn the valve in the past. Even the contractor / worker tried to turn off by hand the other day and then came asking me if I had a water key.
Ag_07
AG
htxag09 said:

And to be fair seems like half the pages were about Amarillo, for some weird reason, and making fun of some forecasts. Not like it's 12 pages of "oh no, it's going to be cold what do I do?!?!"

You spoke too soon.
CDUB98
AG
Now that precipitation is not in the forecast, I'm not worried. Since I'll be driving to AMARILLO, that was my only concern.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Heights Blvd should be fun when it freezes with the broken water main COH has failed to repair for the last month. Hopefully COH can also figure out how to operate their diesel generators at the water plants this time.
CDUB98
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

Heights Blvd should be fun when it freezes with the broken water main COH has failed to repair in the last month. Hopefully COH can also figure out how to operate their diesel generators at the water plants this time.

Dude, actually working is a difficult proposition for these people.
Irish 2.0
There's one at Ashland (believe it is Ashland) and 16th that they 'repaired' but is still leaking.
Ryan the Temp
AG
The Public Works director this morning: "The public doesn't appreciate all the things we do to take care of them. All they want to do is complain."
Irish 2.0
Ryan the Temp said:

The Public Works director this morning: "The public doesn't appreciate all the things we do to take care of them. All they want to do is complain."

Because there is zero evidence they do anything to take care of them…
Cromagnum
AG
Suppose to hit mid 60s, then drop 50 degrees on Thursday.
Irish 2.0
Sounds like my ex right before I crawled into bed…
Ryan the Temp
AG
htxag09
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

There's one at Ashland (believe it is Ashland) and 16th that they 'repaired' but is still leaking.

There's a bad one on tanglewood. Not sure if they've repaired yet, I run by it during lunch at work, wfh today. But was kind of shocked a leak of that size wasn't fixed in the couple weeks I saw it in that neighborhood

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.