Houston
Sponsored by

Icepocalypse watch 2022/2023

175,003 Views | 1531 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jock 07
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
schmellba99 said:

Good thing about bitter cold in Houston is that you know it won't last but a few days, so it's pretty tolerable and at times can be enjoyable.

But whomever said that there is no excuse to be cold in Houston if you are dressed properly is 100% FOS. Wet cold finds its way through any and all types of winter clothing, and you can't argue that. Maybe if you only spend a few minutes outside you can say that simply dressing properly is good enough, but thats it. Spend any length of time outside when it's 40 and humid on the Texas coast and the cold finds a way in.

Heat...meh. Guess spending so many years out in AZ where it's so gawdamned hot it saps the energy out of you and there isn't humidity to let even a breeze or wind cool you off changed my outlook on Houston heat. Sure, it sucks, but it is very tolerable to me these days.
This! I have been skiing in Colorado when it was well below zero and spent the day working on the north side of a plant in LaPorte right against Galveston Bay when it was 30 with freezing mist, and the day in LaPorte was WAY worse, despite the fact I was dressed appropriately both days.
ChipFTAC01
AG
txags92 said:

schmellba99 said:

Good thing about bitter cold in Houston is that you know it won't last but a few days, so it's pretty tolerable and at times can be enjoyable.

But whomever said that there is no excuse to be cold in Houston if you are dressed properly is 100% FOS. Wet cold finds its way through any and all types of winter clothing, and you can't argue that. Maybe if you only spend a few minutes outside you can say that simply dressing properly is good enough, but thats it. Spend any length of time outside when it's 40 and humid on the Texas coast and the cold finds a way in.

Heat...meh. Guess spending so many years out in AZ where it's so gawdamned hot it saps the energy out of you and there isn't humidity to let even a breeze or wind cool you off changed my outlook on Houston heat. Sure, it sucks, but it is very tolerable to me these days.
This! I have been skiing in Colorado when it was well below zero and spent the day working on the north side of a plant in LaPorte right against Galveston Bay when it was 30 with freezing mist, and the day in LaPorte was WAY worse, despite the fact I was dressed appropriately both days.

The wet humidity is just killer. 35* in Denver and you're running around in a long sleeve tshirt and a vest because it's dry. 35* hear just gets down to your bones because of the humidity.
maroon barchetta
You were miserable because you were in LaPorte and not Colorado, regardless of the weather.
Caliber
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

txags92 said:

schmellba99 said:

The wet humidity is just killer. 35* in Denver and you're running around in a long sleeve tshirt and a vest because it's dry. 35* hear just gets down to your bones because of the humidity.
This. I had clients from Norway that complained about how cold it feels in Houston.
swimmerbabe11
I HAVE STRONG WEATHER OPINIONS AND YOU ARE WRONG AND STUPID IF YOU HAVE PREFERENCES THAT DIFFER FROM MINE.
The Wonderer
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I HAVE STRONG WEATHER OPINIONS AND YOU ARE WRONG AND STUPID IF YOU HAVE PREFERENCES THAT DIFFER FROM MINE.
I DON'T HAVE STRONG WEATHER OPINIONS; THEREFORE, THE ONES THAT YOU FEEL STRONGLY ABOUT ARE STUPID AND WRONG.
HtownAg92
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

txags92 said:

schmellba99 said:

Yeah, I've been in 1* sunny days in Utah that feel nothing like 35* on a wet day in Houston. Just look at how pleasant and bearable the Christmas freeze was because we had sun and blue bird skies.
TX04Aggie
AG
Last night was miserable with all the NAPE events/dinner downtown. The humidity was 95%, it was cold, wet and I somehow managed to still sweat and feel gross walking into dinner.
The Wonderer
AG
TX04Aggie said:

Last night was miserable with all the NAPE events/dinner downtown. The humidity was 95%, it was cold, wet and I somehow managed to still sweat and feel gross walking into dinner.
If you don't feel gross leaving a NAPE event, you didn't hoar yourself out hard enough.
TX04Aggie
AG
Hahaha, also true.
txags92
AG
maroon barchetta said:

You were miserable because you were in LaPorte and not Colorado, regardless of the weather.
Truth!
Dimebag Darrell
txags92 said:

schmellba99 said:

This...and I will die on this hill. I could spend 5 minutes outside in a short sleeved shirt in Jackson Hole or Park City in 5 degree weather and be completely fine. Just a minute in 30 degree humid weather in Houston and i want to punch someone in the face. It just slaps you as soon as you step into it.

It's not bad for just a few days here and there...but if this was typical weather in our winter season, there is almost no way I would live here.

The moisture in our air makes summer heat and winter cold more painful all around.

EDIT: I just realized I am only echoing what about a dozen posters have already said.
TarponChaser
You may be echoing it but it's 100% true.

Plenty of times in Colorado when it's in the 20's and I'm 100% comfortable running around in a long-sleeve shirt, fleece vest, and jeans. Here in Houston when it's 50 and 80% humidity it's freaking miserable in the same clothes.
agz win
AG
Lots of tree damage pics to our friends to the West.

TX Ice Storm 2023 > Uri 2021 | TexAgs
Agasaurus Tex
AG
My daughter lives in Austin. She's been without power since 5:00am yesterday.
cone
AG
typically I enjoy vacation even if it's cold because I am doing something fun and not having to work
swimmerbabe11
I too, enjoy recreation more than labor, regardless of temperature.
Agz_2003
AG
10-day out GFS BS

AgLA06
AG
It's always nice for them to post in Celsius.
BrazosDog02
AG
AgLA06 said:

I have to admit the metric system is superior in every single.....metric...if you will.

I refuse to use it because i don't want to and my flag is on the moon so f--- you.
CDUB98
AG
Screw that nonsense.
agz win
AG
False Spring going full swing with Redbud and Tulip Magnolias' starting to bloom.

And Carolina Jasmine
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

AgLA06 said:

I have to admit the metric system is superior in every single.....metric...if you will.

I refuse to use it because i don't want to and my flag is on the moon so f--- you.

When I am king we are going metric. You ignorant hillbillies and your fluid ounces can get ****ed. Milliliters and grams for the mf'ing win.
txags92
AG
agz win said:

False Spring going full swing with Redbud and Tulip Magnolias' starting to bloom.

And Carolina Jasmine
Add mayhaws and mexican plums to the list.
maroon barchetta
Milwaukees Best Light said:

BrazosDog02 said:

AgLA06 said:

When I am king we are going metric. You ignorant hillbillies and your fluid ounces can get ****ed. Milliliters and grams for the mf'ing win.

It will never happen.

No American woman will ever admit to wearing a size 42 shoe.
Bondag
AG
maroon barchetta said:

BrazosDog02 said:

AgLA06 said:

It will never happen.

No American woman will ever admit to wearing a size 42 shoe.

BrazosDog02
AG

BrazosDog02 said:

AgLA06 said:

Why? What's the point in having to figure out there are 50 cm in half a meter when you can simply convert it to 19.7 inches?

It makes no sense. Why do you hate America?
BowSowy
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

AgLA06 said:

I like Fahrenheit because the whole numbers give a better idea of the temperature. I'm sure decimal Celsius could give similar, but decimals suck.

It's stupid that we have to deal with fractional inches, metric is far superior. Same thing for weight, although what I do doesn't deal with things below pounds and kilograms so it's not much difference. 2000lbs in a st, 1000kg in a mT.
dahouse
AG
My dad was a stone mason for 33 years. When I was in school I worked for him on a project in Denver. We were putting limestone on and in a federal courthouse. Whole job was in metric. I got a new tape measure.

Our drawings and stone was made in by-god-American scale, project in Commie scale. We lost 10mm in the vertical somewhere. Building looks fine.

Back to thread, can I plant tomato seedlings in early March or do I need to wait?
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I am planting seeds this weekend. I start them in plastic dixie cups, that way I can put them in the garage if a freeze comes. I transfer them to the garden in early March.
BrazosDog02
AG
Seedlings should e started two weeks ago for transplant in March 15. You can start them now. You have time. Start them indoors.
cone
AG
I guess this thread is kaput
TJaggie14
AG
Y'all got anymore of those cold weather fronts?
Bondag
AG
TJaggie14 said:

We do not taunt weather predictions on this board.
TJaggie14
AG
Bondag said:

TJaggie14 said:

We do not taunt weather predictions on this board.

I'm not taunting. My upstairs AC unit is out and I wanted to enjoy not having to get it replaced for another month or 2 (I know 1st world problems).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.