BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2020)

472,956 Views | 1570 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
war hymn aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Zoner's has closed.
AggieBaseball06
AG
war hymn aggie said:

Zoner's has closed.

Sad but nothing about that place made sense. The menu was bizarre- if I wanted waffles, I'm not going to my local pizza joint. And the location was terrible.
jeffk
AG
Too bad. I really liked their wings, but I was never over in that area.
eloc62
So, I have heard from friends that Pepe's Taco might be in a little trouble and in need of repairs to continue operations. I think they might have started a go fund me page. They have been here for almost 50 years. Still the best queso in town!
Collectonian
eloc62 said:

So, I have heard from friends that Pepe's Taco might be in a little trouble and in need of repairs to continue operations. I think they might have started a go fund me page. They have been here for almost 50 years. Still the best queso in town!

Yep, they have, saw it posted on FB: https://www.gofundme.com/f/friends-of-pepe039s-mexican-food Looking to raise $100k for repairs @_@
The Brazos Kid
Jeebus. 100K for "repairs"?

That seems excessive.
trouble
AG
They didn't start it. Friends of theirs did. I'm not sure if Kip gave them an amount needed or if they just picked one.
PS3D
AggieBaseball06 said:

war hymn aggie said:

Zoner's has closed.

Sad but nothing about that place made sense. The menu was bizarre- if I wanted waffles, I'm not going to my local pizza joint. And the location was terrible.
I never saw any delivery trucks for that place......ever. And with heavy competition in that quadrant (Domino's, DoubleDave's, Pizza Hut...) it was going to be an uphill battle.

As for Pepe's Mexican, I suspect the price tag is to replace a major component (like the roof, HVAC system, electricity, etc.) but buildings are expensive. A full tear down and rebuild will easily be at least a few hundred thousand more.
kraut
AG
AggieBaseball06 said:

war hymn aggie said:

Zoner's has closed.

My one and only time I went to Zoner's they were out of wings. Seriously - out of wings. We walked out.
legalbird
The sad thing is that people attend a franchisee convention & think it is the path to financial freedom. The fact is you have to live at the restaurant 18 hours a day. If you think the $11 an hour manager will watch the cash register, then I have a magic treasure chest I would like to show.
H2SAag
AG
When is Tad's going to open? Looks like it's getting close
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
FILO505
AG
VIP is tonight
bushytailed
AG
Jersey Mike's at Jones Crossing opened today
bobinator
AG
AggieBaseball06 said:

war hymn aggie said:

Zoner's has closed.
Zoners was terrible. I wish it wasn't and I wish the owners luck in their next venture, but it was bad.
The Brazos Kid
Had Zoners about a half dozen times. I enjoyed their pizza although the last 2 I had didn't seem to be as tasty.

The last time I was there, it was 2 girls working the entire place on a Friday night. They were pretty stressed out not having a full staff. I felt bad for them.
Rexter
Houston2AngeloAg said:

They are shooting for tomorrow.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
TxFoundry said:

Had Zoners about a half dozen times. I enjoyed their pizza although the last 2 I had didn't seem to be as tasty.

The last time I was there, it was 2 girls working the entire place on a Friday night. They were pretty stressed out not having a full staff. I felt bad for them.

Only ate there a handful of times, and each time they only had two people working. I didn't blame them, but the wait was very long because of their lack of staff.
eloc62
legalbird said:

The sad thing is that people attend a franchisee convention & think it is the path to financial freedom. The fact is you have to live at the restaurant 18 hours a day. If you think the $11 an hour manager will watch the cash register, then I have a magic treasure chest I would like to show.
You are so right!
bushytailed
AG
Rexter said:

Houston2AngeloAg said:

If that's the case then they are doing a horrible job of promoting themselves. Their FB page was last updated 10/23. The only place I've even seen them mentioned is this thread. I will definitely be giving them a try though.
cajunken
bushytailed said:

Rexter said:

Houston2AngeloAg said:

If that's the case then they are doing a horrible job of promoting themselves. Their FB page was last updated 10/23. The only place I've even seen them mentioned is this thread. I will definitely be giving them a try though.
More than likely this is a soft opening. This allows them to look at staffing and processes in real time without the chaos of getting stampeded on opening day.
halibut sinclair
Tad's posted on Facebook today that they are open.
roynonroy
halibut sinclair said:

Tad's posted on Facebook today that they are open.
There were girls out front earlier today waiving "Open" signs.
SandAG

Quote:

Costco
July 2022
RDH80
AG
Is it pronounced "tads". ? I noticed sign is TaD's, so does that make it "tah Dee's" ? Just curious I truly have no idea
FlyRod
Good Lord, their breakfast menu looks amazing!
MiMi
S
Has anyone tried Longshot Hash House yet? I saw it mentioned in Rusty Surette's Dunkin Donuts story on KBTX.
chickencoupe16
AG
I'd never heard of it until now. Looks good though.
bobinator
AG
It's the restaurant at the Cove at BearX, it's not bad. They have good coffee.
legalbird
Greg said he didn't like any of it, and he said &^(($$^^
AgTrip
Long Shots is amazing! The injectable donuts are sooo good!
PS3D
AggieBaseball06 said:

And the location was terrible.

I personally think that the location could've worked (I mean, it's better than 1541's location) but they didn't really do a whole lot to really advertise and fix the problems. Marco's Pizza had a similar problem and had a hard uphill battle with the location and the poor conditions of the building that Popeyes had left behind, but were able to overcome it.

The other major problem was that unlike Marco's, it was an obscure franchise (15 locations, and the only other one in Texas is The Woodlands---the rest are in Georgia and parts around it).
FlyRod
The pizzas at Longshots were surprisingly good during a few lazy river visits with friends.
bcstx06
war hymn aggie said:

Zoner's has closed.

Just a thought, but if the owners of Zoner's had chosen a location in North Bryan were there is literally no competition in any food category, then I believe that they would still be in operation. Every new restaurant doesn't have to be located in South or Central College Station to be successful. It seems like the area is over saturated while many areas of Bryan are under saturated when it comes to retail and restaurants.
ratfacemcdougal
Here is another comment on Zoner's. The location was not bad. Thousands of apartments and rentals near by. Longmire is fairy busy. Looking at some pics, it appears the owner is Shoukat Dhanani. The Dhanani Group appears to be successful. https://www.forbes.com/sites/amyfeldman/2016/08/28/entrepreneur-shoukat-dhanani-runs-one-of-americas-largest-private-businesses-very-very-quietly/?sh=7bd145702dd0

Unless they just own the building....There had to be some other issues. Maybe it just did not get established well before Covid. In the past, the reviews here have seemed to be mixed. And some recent comments talk about their staffing issues. They were a convenient location for me to grab lunch, but I just forgot about it until I was driving by.
rc_cat
SandAG said:

Quote:

Costco
July 2022
Any word on where it's going? Up in Bryan where it's been rumored to go for years or down south of CS where the new Buc - ees is rumored to be locating?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.