DirecTV Now

163,999 Views | 1288 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Nobody Knows My Name
goose91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
gougler08 said:

I've had success with watch espn and ABC, no go with fox sports go or NBC sports right now. There's a list on the website (maybe under FAQs) that lists all apps that currently support it

Thanks for the response, Found the following on their website.

Can I use my DIRECTV NOW account to sign in to network sites and apps?

Yes, DIRECTV NOW subscribers can use their account username and password to access the following network websites and their respective apps:
always gig em
AG
Ordered last Sunday and received confirmation email saying appletv would arrive in 2-3 weeks. Wednesday got an email saying it was on its way, received it on Friday. First time ever owning appletv, had a roku before and this is miles ahead of the roku.

I have to say I absolutely love this thing so far. Have had a couple hanging sessions and I just hit menu and restart, back up and running in seconds. Paid for 3 months and will keep it at least that long but so far this is awesome.

And so is sticking it to the cable companies.
agdaddy04
AG
Well technically they are a cable company.
cr0wbar
AG
http://awfulannouncing.com/2017/upset-directv-now-customers-denied-refunds-take-their-case-to-the-fcc.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

This any of y'all?
BTHOB
AG
I'm subscribed to DirecTV NOW and it's worked pretty good for me. There was the outage on Jan 13th that, I think, was nationwide and due to some updates they were performing... but, other than that, it's been performing really well.

That's just my experience with it.
BTHOB
AG
I'm in DFW, if that matters...

gougler08
AG
I've had a few issues where it was unwatchable, but it seems to be improving. Obviously a few more features like DVR would be nice, but it's hard to beat the channel lineup at the $35 price point

I'm keeping it for a while to see if it improves more before I would fee a need to switch
Charpie
AG
This is a huge deal for me. I like the on demand stuff too. And the fact that I can watch it on AT&T without it going against my data plan rocks
jtmoney03
AG
cr0wbar said:

http://awfulannouncing.com/2017/upset-directv-now-customers-denied-refunds-take-their-case-to-the-fcc.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

This any of y'all?

I get where the frustration is coming from, but they knew this was a new service and was bound to have issues. I think if they want their money back, they should also be forced to send back their apple tvs and fire sticks if they got them. If not, keep them and call it even. I've been completely satisfied, granted I haven't moved 100% yet because I'm testing the waters while I still have standard DTV.
coastalAg
AG
We have noticed that our viewing experience is typically worse on the Amazon Fire TV than it is on the AppleTV. I probably have to reenter my password every 3rd or 4th time I use the app and channels just wont load fairly regularly. The most disappointing thing to me has been the lack of video on demand and tv anywhere sign ons.

I came from PS Vue and even with its limitations it is a far better service than DTVNow at the moment. I was happy to give DTVNow a shot for the free AppleTV, but we will not be renewing at the end of the 3 months.

Having tried all three of the services out right now, I still think we are probably a year away from having some really solid options. I will probably just sign up for a cheap 12 month Xfinity plan and see what the landscape looks like again in a year.
BEaggie08
AG
coastalAg said:

We have noticed that our viewing experience is typically worse on the Amazon Fire TV than it is on the AppleTV. I probably have to reenter my password every 3rd or 4th time I use the app and channels just wont load fairly regularly. The most disappointing thing to me has been the lack of video on demand and tv anywhere sign ons.

I came from PS Vue and even with its limitations it is a far better service than DTVNow at the moment. I was happy to give DTVNow a shot for the free AppleTV, but we will not be renewing at the end of the 3 months.

Having tried all three of the services out right now, I still think we are probably a year away from having some really solid options. I will probably just sign up for a cheap 12 month Xfinity plan and see what the landscape looks like again in a year.
Hulu's service is coming out soon. You may want to give it a shot before jumping back to cable.
boy09
AG
I found my Silicondust HDHomerun that I've never really had a reason to use until now. Anyone here have a setup worked out with one of these, with an app for Amazon Fire TV/Apple TV to view OTA channels?
Artorias
AG
coastalAg said:

I think I am not going to renew after the 3 months and go back to PS Vue for now. The lack of DVR is a pretty big deal killer for us, and there aren't really any channels on the DTV lineup that I care about that I don't get on the Vue. The Vue even gives me more local channels here in Austin area (Fox and CBS), than DTV does (just Fox).

Still got an AppleTV out of the deal, which is pretty sweet. Curious to see what the Hulu offering ends up looking like.

TMoney2007
AG
I just dropped uverse. I got the apple TV that I'll sell. The nice thing is that it will be so much easier to go from once service to another.

I may or may not cancel after the 3 months depending on what features they add and stuff.
bbattbq01
AG
If directv now doesn't get more channel app support soon I'll probably look elsewhere... very interested in what Hulu is going to do.
agdaddy04
AG
Just got the Apple TV booted up. That took forever, and finally had to connect it to my 2.4ghz instead of 5 for some reason. Picture and connection looks great so far. I'm in Houston and ABC is locked up for some reason. Not sure if that happens often?
nwspmp
boy09 said:

I found my Silicondust HDHomerun that I've never really had a reason to use until now. Anyone here have a setup worked out with one of these, with an app for Amazon Fire TV/Apple TV to view OTA channels?
I have run Channels and InstaTV Pro and really like InstaTV Pro. It's ~$15 or so for full support but it works incredibly well and even evidently has SiliconDust DVR service capability.
TMoney2007
AG
I'm waiting to see how Hulu's service turns out. Maybe they'll have a promo deal as well. Google is supposedly putting together their own service.

Like I said, being able to go from one service to another without going through installation and all that crap is going to make this very interesting.
TxAggieBand85
AG
I think the entertainment distribution is fascinating. Rapidly going from a dedicated set top box plus contract period from your provider solution to a bring your own device and pay month to month. There will be winners and losers soon.

Instead of having satellite and 1 or 2 wired distributors available, we'll have numerous offerings and ability to just switch on the fly.

Antenna's are making a comeback. I installed the Mohu Sky 60 in my home in North Harris County. Now get over the air programming along with DirecTV Now. Watching our friends age 50 and over starting to make the switch, or at least inquiring how to do this.
irish pete ag06
AG
I completed my antenna setup last night. ABC is located at a NW angle from my house and the other big ones (Fox, NBC, and CBS) are all located at SSW. I have a dedicated VHF antenna pointed at ABC (yes it's still freaking VHF) and my UHF antenna pointed at the other 3.
dummble
AG
No hiccups at all last night during the superbowl.

I learned a few things... I miss being able to rewind. I like that I can pause though.
You can have two streams going, just not the same channel.
zip04
AG
The service seems to be smoothing out a bit. Ours still freezes multiple times a day, but not for as long and not as often. I'll see how it is over the next two months of my prepaid service.
bbattbq01
AG
Starz added yesterday to lineup for 8/mo.
agdaddy04
AG
I've noticed several of the on demand programs are 2 weeks behind so I'll be excited to see the DVR feature. Service is working just fine.
permabull
AG
Charpie
AG
if google would get their fiber stuff out, LIFE WOULD BE SO MUCH EASIER
agdaddy04
AG
So I have the free Apple TV but don't have a device for my 2nd tv. What does everyone recommend?
Brick Tamland
agdaddy04 said:

So I have the free Apple TV but don't have a device for my 2nd tv. What does everyone recommend?

Another Apple TV. I have two at my home because I'm highly invested in the Apple ecosystem. I tried using Chromecast about four separate times and had issues with both the first and second generation devices. But others will suggest Roku and Amazon Fire stick. Can't really go wrong here.
Wife is an Aggie
So I called xfinity bc our internet was out. I currently pay 50/mo for 100 Mbps. Lady told me I was eligible for same speed Internet + cable package for 1 year. No contract either. No install charges. I accepted offer but am planning to keep DTVNow service to use on other rooms tvs plus I am grandfathered in to the $35/mo rate.

Cable companies must be getting desperate as they are losing a ton of customers to streaming services.

Edit to add same price.. $50 for same internet + cable and 1 box.
boy09
AG
agdaddy04 said:

I really like the Amazon Fire stick.
chjoak
AG
agdaddy04 said:

I have a Roku (not using DIrectTVNow currently) and like it quite a bit. Easy interface and works really well. Added bonus... founder and CEO is an Aggie.
agdaddy04
AG
Thank you.

I don't think Roku has access to DTV Now, does it?
boy09
AG
agdaddy04 said:

I don't think Roku has access to DTV Now, does it?
It does not.
bbattbq01
AG
https://help.directvnow.com/hc/en-us/articles/215395423-Can-I-use-my-DIRECTV-NOW-account-to-sign-in-to-network-sites-and-apps-

NBC Golf (starting 2/16/2017)
NBC Sports (starting 2/16/2017)

Now just need fox sports go!
WGann3
AG
Quote:

Now just need fox sports go!
This will be huge for me, hoping for it sooner rather than later. It's about the only thing I have to complain about with my experience so far.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.