DirecTV Now

163,994 Views | 1288 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Nobody Knows My Name
Bregxit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Charpie said:

I agree. It sucks with fire tv. Works great for Apple TV
FireTV or Fire Stick? YUGE difference in the two.
Charpie
AG
Fire Stick
Pman17
AG
FYI, new Apple TV coming out in a few weeks. 4K UHD with Dolby Vision and HDR 10. I'm hoping for a new remote.

Amazon Video and Vudu will rollout along side it. Vudu is out today.
boy09
AG
Charpie said:

I agree. It sucks with fire tv. Works great for Apple TV
I have zero problems with my fire sticks. The fire sticks probably don't switch channels as quickly as the Apple TV, but once the stream is going, I have no problems.
Charpie
AG
I thought it was my internet. I have both setup on the same TV.. DirectTVNow buffers big time versus my Apple TV
texag06ish
AG
Anyone know when live feeds of CBS will show up in DFW?
bdenby
AG
Thanks for the replies. I have an Apple TV on my wife's TV and she reports no buffering. I'm using a Fire TV. No buffering watching Netflix, YouTube, etc on my kids' TV's which use Fire Sticks. Maybe I'll just buy the new Apple TV.
SteveG
AG
I have had Directvnow since the end of last year. I like the idea of cutting the cord and also free Apple TV was nice. Also like the $35 grandfathered in price. However the buffering is KILLIN me! It seems to be worse lately? Like every 15-20 minutes it will freeze / buffer.

I run on 2 Apple Tvs and one Firestick and the Apple Tvs have been just as bad recently. Yes I check for updates on Apple TV too so that is not it.

Internet router is brand new dual band from Cox and speed is 150 Mbps downloads and 10 Mbps upload speed. I do not think speed is an issue? I do have a 3 story house (including basement) but issues happen even on same floor as router. Locals are not an issue as I went to antenna which has been fine.

I am gonna drink myself into oblivion if it freezes during Aggie football. I would have quit them but really want to make it work due to cost and also since I figure it is AT&T and they should be able to figure this out. Direct now does not have a CS phone number so I guess I gotta do the email correspondence which really stinks.

Any ideas or help is appreciated!
AggieFrog
AG
For Aggie Football just use the ESPN and Fox apps instead of the DirecTV Now app.
AGTX
AG
PSA for Apple TV 4 and espn app

If you're watching a game hold down the pad button (not sure what that button is actually called) then you can select up to 4 streams to watch at once.

Once on the 4 screen grid (there are several formats, this one looks the best on my tv) you can scroll to different boxes to change what stream you get sound for.

You can click a box with your pad button to make that box full screen, then click menu to return to the 4 screen grid.
AggieFrog
AG
ESPN added that feature about a week ago and Fox already had it. Too bad my TV is too small to really make it worthwhile.
flakrat
AG
AggieFrog said:

For Aggie Football just use the ESPN and Fox apps instead of the DirecTV Now app.
This, the DirecTv app routinely goes black on me (I know that's racist, sorry), I have to change channels then change back to get the picture and sound.

I find it much better, when possible, to use the native app for the channel. Can't wait for their virtual DVR.
goose91
AG
AggieFrog said:

ESPN added that feature about a week ago and Fox already had it. Too bad my TV is too small to really make it worthwhile.
Is this an Apple TV feature for those apps or does it work on all devices? Tried it on my Fire Stick today and couldn't find a way to make it work. Will try it on my Fire TV device this evening.
nwspmp
SteveG said:

I have had Directvnow since the end of last year. I like the idea of cutting the cord and also free Apple TV was nice. Also like the $35 grandfathered in price. However the buffering is KILLIN me! It seems to be worse lately? Like every 15-20 minutes it will freeze / buffer.

I run on 2 Apple Tvs and one Firestick and the Apple Tvs have been just as bad recently. Yes I check for updates on Apple TV too so that is not it.

Internet router is brand new dual band from Cox and speed is 150 Mbps downloads and 10 Mbps upload speed. I do not think speed is an issue? I do have a 3 story house (including basement) but issues happen even on same floor as router. Locals are not an issue as I went to antenna which has been fine.

I am gonna drink myself into oblivion if it freezes during Aggie football. I would have quit them but really want to make it work due to cost and also since I figure it is AT&T and they should be able to figure this out. Direct now does not have a CS phone number so I guess I gotta do the email correspondence which really stinks.

Any ideas or help is appreciated!
Have you run speed checks on the Internet service and tested the longer term throughput from larger downloads and such.

I have upgraded to Gbit service at my house, but started at the same time with the same aTV deal with DTVNow with a 200mbit service (and an older cable modem which only supported 110mbit) and rarely if ever had buffering. Now, I do have my aTV wired via Ethernet rather than WiFi. Maybe move the aTV to wired as a test?

Probably a half dozen times over the last year I've had a situation where a channel didn't load on initial app startup. Channel up/down resolved it each time.

Part of making sure we had good cable modem signal was cleaning up the wire itself and ensuring that there were minimal splitters on the feed lines in the house. Since then, my cable modem signal has been rock-solid and as such none of my streaming systems have had any problems.
AggieFrog
AG
goose91 said:

AggieFrog said:

Is this an Apple TV feature for those apps or does it work on all devices? Tried it on my Fire Stick today and couldn't find a way to make it work. Will try it on my Fire TV device this evening.

I think it's just limited to the Apple TV.
dave99ag
AG
I bet ESPN updated their app on iOS (iPads, Apple TV, etc) first and Android (Fire Stick) will follow.
SlobberKnock
AG
So is anybody in the dvr beta program and if so how's it looking?
texag06ish
AG
When are the CBS networks going live?
Aggiemike96
AG
DirecTVNow is horrendous. I absolutely do not recommend ordering it.
AggieFrog
AG
Aggiemike96 said:

Why? I've had it since January. No problems here.
WoMD
AggieFrog said:

Aggiemike96 said:

Agreed. After initially being annoyed with it (and then realizing most of the issues were related to my wifi network and not directv now at all) it has definitely met and exceeded my expectations. I've been quite pleased considering how much cheaper it is compared to satellite. Add DVR for similar price and it's the service to beat IMO.
Aggiemike96
AG
WoMD said:

AggieFrog said:

Aggiemike96 said:

Agreed. After initially being annoyed with it (and then realizing most of the issues were related to my wifi network and not directv now at all) it has definitely met and exceeded my expectations. I've been quite pleased considering how much cheaper it is compared to satellite. Add DVR for similar price and it's the service to beat IMO.

The On Demand is a joke. Can't watch anything without constant buffering. CONSTANT. The live channels are fine. Oh, and if course all commercials stream perfectly. Regret the decision to switch to it.
WoMD
Aggiemike96 said:

WoMD said:

AggieFrog said:

Aggiemike96 said:

The On Demand is a joke. Can't watch anything without constant buffering. CONSTANT. The live channels are fine. Oh, and if course all commercials stream perfectly. Regret the decision to switch to it.

I've never used on demand. I use the channel apps, which cover everything I really care about. I didn't use on demand on directv either, so I guess that made the transition easier.

To each his own.
agdaddy04
AG
Aggiemike96 said:

WoMD said:

AggieFrog said:

Aggiemike96 said:

That's not DirectvNow. It's your device or internet
gougler08
AG
WoMD said:

Aggiemike96 said:

WoMD said:

AggieFrog said:

Aggiemike96 said:

I've never used on demand. I use the channel apps, which cover everything I really care about. I didn't use on demand on directv either, so I guess that made the transition easier.

To each his own.

This, just use the channel apps and there will be minimal to no issues. For the $35/month I have it at, can't beat it
bdenby
AG
This is exactly my fear. I can see it buffering on 4th and inches after we've blown another 4th quarter lead (with 4 quarters or more of booze intake) and I end up throwing something through this high dollar TV.

As mentioned above, I won't use DTVNow for any sports viewing, if there is an alternative. I never seem to have any buffering issues using the network specific apps. The fastest ISP service I can get in north Dallas is 50/15. My FireTv is hardwired running 50 mbps. Considerably less issues with the Apple TV, but I like the Fire TV UI much better.

Appreciate all the feedback. Just need Root added now.
stridulent
AG
bdenby said:

This is exactly my fear. I can see it buffering on 4th and inches after we've blown another 4th quarter lead (with 4 quarters or more of booze intake) and I end up throwing something through this high dollar TV.

As mentioned above, I won't use DTVNow for any sports viewing, if there is an alternative. I never seem to have any buffering issues using the network specific apps. The fastest ISP service I can get in north Dallas is 50/15. My FireTv is hardwired running 50 mbps. Considerably less issues with the Apple TV, but I like the Fire TV UI much better.

Appreciate all the feedback. Just need Root added now.
That has always been my fear, too. I've been using PS Vue and SlingTV for 4 years now, or logging into ESPN app, and I have luckily never encountered that issue streaming. I am always nervous to host a watch party though because of the potential. That is why I'll usually do those parties when the game is broadcast OTA on CBS.
bdenby
AG
Exactly. I've got about 8 guys coming over Sunday to watch the game. It is going to suck if the first guy in the neighborhood to cut the cord hosts a party to watch a spinning hour glass.
SlackerAg
AG
I had PS Vue & went back to UVerse. Not only it was buffering, sometimes the sound would be out of sync. And the menu interface & DVR was crap too.
Silvertaps
AG
That reminds me, I need to start shopping for HD Antennas...specifically for attics...with radiant barrier.
country
AG
So will the A&M/UCLA game be on the FOXSports App for appletv or is there a specific FOX only app that is needed? We will get the game even if we don't have live local FOX correct?
aTm2004
AG
It's FOX national broadcast. You'd get it in Key West on their local Fox station.
country
AG
With DirectvNow I don't have a local FOX station. That's why I'm curious how to watch the game. FOX confuses me with all the network of stations. I have the FoxSports Go App running and have watched a lot of football on that app today. Will our game be available on that App or do I need to get something different?
aTm2004
AG
The Fox Sports Go app is showing the A&M game via KRIV tomorrow (Houston's local Fox), so it may allow you to watch it. If not, see if you can borrow a Direct TV login from a friend for the app and it'll be there.
country
AG
Thanks, ATM. I just noticed that the OU game is on FOX today and I'm able to watch it through the FoxSports Go App so I'm thinking I'll be ok.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.