DirecTV Now

164,012 Views | 1288 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Nobody Knows My Name
Dro07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have Hulu and direct tv now. Hulu is great because of local channels and a ton of sports options compared to direct tv. Haven't tried YoutubeTv because I have a firestv so they do not have an app for it.
agdaddy04
AG
Was wondering if it was something at work keeping dtvnow from working. Luckily had my cousins DTV information so I could bring it up on the tbs app
BoerneGator
AG
What sort of device do I need to get YouTube on my smart tv?
BoerneGator
AG
Do I need an Generation 4 Apple TV, or will a Generation 3 suffice for streaming alone? No gaming, etc.
Charpie
AG
Gen 3 is enough. Gen 4 is for 4K tv
dummble
AG
Anyone else getting the "device" sent out to them?

WoMD
How's it different than using a streaming device? Does the DVR actually work on it?
nwspmp
I'm guessing it's the realization of this. Wonder if there are still contracts and how they'll define this service versus the connective DTVN

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.multichannel.com/.amp/news/at-t-to-introduce-broadband-delivered-ott-directv-product
dummble
AG
I don't mind the interface on the firestick and Roku but people who do not use it daily do not think it is intuitive. I am hoping this will have a dedicated remote that will simplify things for visitors to our house.
TMoney2007
AG
nwspmp said:

I'm guessing it's the realization of this. Wonder if there are still contracts and how they'll define this service versus the connective DTVN

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.multichannel.com/.amp/news/at-t-to-introduce-broadband-delivered-ott-directv-product
I don't get it... DirectvNow, Uverse, Directv via dish... this thing... Maybe they're shotgunning to figure out the best direction (Its a combo of satellite and streaming).

I think the satellite based tv serves the huge part of the country without fast internet, and at this point, there's no reason to have a subscription based system that has dedicated equipment. Creating and maintaining apps for apple (tvOS and iOS), android and roku (roku could pivot to being a bad ass AndroidTV device if they wanted to) can't be as expensive as qualifying and maintaining brand specific devices and infrastructure.
adamsbq06
AG
what is this?
agdaddy04
AG
DTv now giving me a lot of issues today. Says network is slow but speed test shows 280mb down.
agdaddy04
AG
Doing a contract for streaming completely negates the benefit in my mind. Hopefully it doesn't mean less put towards the dtv now infrastructure.
WoMD
Yeah, it was completely down for me tonight. First hiccup it's given in well over a year, but still annoying.

Maybe it's telling me I should've gone out tonight instead of staying in and being lame...?
Astroag
AG
dummble said:

Anyone else getting the "device" sent out to them?

What is this????

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
agdaddy04
AG
It's a new service from DirecTv for over the internet service but requires a contract it appears. Separate from dtv now
WoMD
agdaddy04 said:

DIt's a new service from DirecTv for over the internet service but requires a contract it appears. Separate from dtv now

I still don't get what makes this service better than dtv now, or even different. Simply that they provide the hardware in exchange for paying more and being tied to a contract?
TMoney2007
AG
WoMD said:

agdaddy04 said:

DIt's a new service from DirecTv for over the internet service but requires a contract it appears. Separate from dtv now

I still don't get what makes this service better than dtv now, or even different. Simply that they provide the hardware in exchange for paying more and being tied to a contract?
By doing it under the directv banner, they may be able to utilize their existing content contracts, so they may have more channels... but who knows.
agdaddy04
AG
Maybe it's one closer step to getting rid of the dish altogether?
TMoney2007
AG
I think they'll keep dish for rural customers.
dummble
AG
Got my box, it is an android streaming box that has directvnow as it's native mode. You can access apps from the directvnow home button. It is also a chromecast streaming device. It links to your google account like a chromecast and will download the apps that you have that are available on the box. No netflix or hulu yet, but you can cast both from your phone or tablet or laptop.

The remote which is what I was excited about has a crappy dpad, but it also has numbers and directvnow has channel numbers associated with channels. So you can dial in channels way easier.

I am sure this is some google overreach. But the box knew I had a logitech harmony and the remote controls the volume on my surround sound and turns the tv when power is pressed. But the scary or awesome part is that if I am using another activity and press the power on the DTN remote it just switches to the correct input. Very seamless.
agdaddy04
AG
Sounds just like an appletv except for numbers on the remote.
WoMD
agdaddy04 said:

Sounds just like an appletv except for numbers on the remote.

Exactly. It seems that all they've done is replace the streaming devices needed to run their service with their own. Part of the original selling point of these streaming services is that there was a significant decrease in their overhead because they would no longer need to provide any hardware in order for it to work. The decreased overhead translated to a significant decrease in cost to the customers. If they provide hardware this needs to be optional-only for a fee only to the customers who opt to get it, and not transferred to everyone.

I guess the question is, what's the demand for something like this to the point that it's worth their while...? I can't imagine that any current customer would feel this gives enough improvement over what they already have to get it if it is going to increase costs to use the service. But I suppose that's the information that this program is supposed to provide.

Unless it somehow makes the dvr useable. Then I might consider it...

Have you noticed any noticeable change in picture quality or dependability of the service?
nwspmp
dummble said:

I am sure this is some google overreach. But the box knew I had a logitech harmony and the remote controls the volume on my surround sound and turns the tv when power is pressed. But the scary or awesome part is that if I am using another activity and press the power on the DTN remote it just switches to the correct input. Very seamless.
Fairly certain that's HDMI-CEC doing the control. Very standard and entirely over the HDMI cabling; no external network access

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_Electronics_Control
dummble
AG
The DVR works for me on all devices except chromecast. No complaints.

The picture is fine, and it is like and appletv if there was no home screen, just directvnow. I think it is more like a cablebox that can also run apps well.
klsmith89
AG
Fired up an old fire stick I have at the house (2nd generation) and can't get DTVN to work on it. Did I miss something? I thought the 2nd gen sticks supported it?
Pman17
AG
The Death Star has declared a $10 price increase! Expect an email tomorrow!

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/11/18260326/directv-now-bundles-hbo-price-hike-packages
Pman17
AG
Apple could do their own TV Service. Event on the 25th

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/03/11/apple-media-event-march-25/
Bregxit
AG
Pman17 said:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/11/18260326/directv-now-bundles-hbo-price-hike-packages

I wonder if this will effect my launch Go Big package...I am paying $48/mo WITH HBO added on.
Killin Me Smalls
AG
dlance said:

Pman17 said:

I wonder if this will effect my launch Go Big package...I am paying $48/mo WITH HBO added on.

Same here. That would be the second price jump in 12 months and probably spur me to go elsewhere.
Bregxit
AG
Killin Me Smalls said:

dlance said:

Pman17 said:

Same here. That would be the second price jump in 12 months and probably spur me to go elsewhere.
I don't know if I would change over it since no one else has that selection even for $58 but yes it would be aggravating.
Pman17
AG
Not confirmed, but everyone is saying the original Go Big founders promo subscription will increase to $50/mo. Those locked in will keep all of the channels. New subscribers will get less channels. They pulled Viacom and AMC, A&E, Food Network, etc out of the new plans. Not good! I may stick with them for a little longer. My fall backs are Hulu TV or YouTube TV. Hulu TV you get more content for your buck when comparing to YouTube but YouTube you get more features for your buck.
dave99ag
AG
I'm on the grandfathered original plan. Interesting to see when I get the e-mail and price increase. I guess the wording in the plan is only for the channels and not the price. I'm curious to see what Apple offers. YouTube TV doesn't have History, so it's still a no for me.
TxAggieBand85
AG
I'm on grandfathered plan, will check on what is offered overall for the money. May do a comparison across offerings. Interesting how the prices are creeping up.

Also have an antenna which mostly works well for me in the burbs.
Pman17
AG
IT'S OFFICIAL

Existing Customers get $10 price hike. That means they will have a $15 hike in less than a year from the $5 increase last year.

But wait! There's more!
Add-ons hike in price IMMEDIATELY!
HBO $5 -------> $15!
Cinemax $5 --------> $11
Starz $8 ---------> $11

Yes, Existing customers keep their channels. Add-on prices are grandfathered.

New Customers... why bother...
DirecTV Now Plus $50 ... 40+ channels
DirecTV Now Max $70 ... 50+ channels
HBO is free.
Stripped of A&E Networks, AMC Networks, Discovery, and Viacom.

Note that pretty much all Streaming Services don't have Viacom now so Viacom must have corporate idiots or they want to make a CBS like service of their own...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.