DirecTV Now

164,068 Views | 1288 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Nobody Knows My Name
Bregxit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Yes, why?
You can get all Astros games if you use the Unlocator service ($4 a month?) and sign up for MLBTV.
Silvertaps
AG
I close on my house in Celina, Tx (north of Dallas) on Wednesday and have been checking out all my options . A friend of mine have great things to say about DTV now, so happy I found this thread.

A few questions:
-do they provide a router?
If not, what are your preferred routers?
-what's the minimum broadband I should be requesting when discussing with a provider?
-I've heard to get some local channels I'd need to get an HD Antenna? Is this correct?
-my fiance is a DVR addict. What are your alternatives to compensate until they introduce that function? (I did see the 72 hr rewind).
-I read some people mention getting "grandfathered in"...assume that's referring to people that are currently with DTV?
trueaggie2782
AG
Quote:

No. That comes with your internet provider. Directv now is just a tv streaming service.

Quote:

-what's the minimum broadband I should be requesting when discussing with a provider?

I have gigabit from Uverse which is complete overkill. You could probably get away with 20-40 Mbps range.

Quote:

-I've heard to get some local channels I'd need to get an HD Antenna? Is this correct?

Not sure about in Dallas but in Houston, it's best to just get an HD antenna.

Quote:

-my fiance is a DVR addict. What are your alternatives to compensate until they introduce that function? (I did see the 72 hr rewind).

Not many choices here. 72 hour rewind on a select few channels. Access to some network apps. A selection of on demand content.

Quote:

-I read some people mention getting "grandfathered in"...assume that's referring to people that are currently with DTV?

This is referring to the people who signed up for directv now during initial launch. I don't believe it's available at that price point with that package anymore.
Silvertaps
AG
trueaggie2782 said:

Quote:

No. That comes with your internet provider. Directv now is just a tv streaming service.

Quote:

I have gigabit from Uverse which is complete overkill. You could probably get away with 20-40 Mbps range.

Quote:

Not sure about in Dallas but in Houston, it's best to just get an HD antenna.

Quote:

Not many choices here. 72 hour rewind on a select few channels. Access to some network apps. A selection of on demand content.

Quote:

This is referring to the people who signed up for directv now during initial launch. I don't believe it's available at that price point with that package anymore.

Awesome! Thank you for the info!
gougler08
AG
I have no issues w/ 25 Mbps
GT_Aggie2015
AG
I would also make sure and pay close attention to any data caps your internet provider may have. My wife and I had to bump up our speed with AT&T to 1 gigabit, which one user accurately notes is overkill, but it was the next best package in our particular area (Cedar Park) that had unlimited data usage. My folks live in Gunter so not too far from Celina and they only have Suddenlink available, which I believe only has unlimited data at the 1 gigabit level also. I should probably ask them since they too are on DTV Now.
Silvertaps
AG
How is DTV Now compared to other stream carriers like Sling, Playstation Vue, etc?
GT_Aggie2015
AG
I'll defer to others who have used other services. I've stuck to DTV Now from the get go. However, I will say that the two concurrent streams limit is a PITA and not having DVR isn't necessarily a dealbreaker, but it does suck. Overall, we are happy with the service and believe we get a good deal "bundling" AT&T wireless, internet, and DTV Now.
trueaggie2782
AG
I prefer ps Vue personally, but I'm using directv now because of the cheaper price (grandfathered) and I believe AT&T will eventually get their ducks in a row and provide a decent DVR and greater functionality with their service.
Silvertaps
AG
I found this link pretty helpful. It's dated 12/01/16, so I'm not sure how much has really changed from the article (Roku is now available for DTV Now I've read).

https://www.cnet.com/news/playstation-vue-vs-sling-tv-streaming-live-tv-compared/
zip04
AG
I have had SlingTV, PSVue, and DirecTV Now. PSVue was awesome. No complaints until they changed a few of the channels in their lineup and my wife lost two channels she enjoyed. It was nice not having to worry about how many streams were going at the same time with PSVue because you are allowed 5 if I remember right.

With that being said, we really like DirecTV Now as well. We had a lot of hiccups with it at first, but those were smoothed out quickly. We are also grandfathered into the $35/month, which includes HBO for a year (and then $5/month after). Since we use AT&T for our phone service, we also get unlimited streaming from our phones without using our data. This is a huge plus for us.

If we weren't grandfathered in and I was just now looking to get into streaming my TV, I would look seriously at the pricing and channel options for each (including YouTube and Hulu's services now). Then I would look at the availability of multiple devices streaming at once. After narrowing it down to my top two, I would do the free trial of each and make my decision based on that.
nwspmp
DirecTV Now with the PlayOn DVR has worked incredibly well for myself and was enough to convince my wife to do the switch.

Living in B/CS meant no locals through DTVN, but Plex's Live TV/DVR feature now and a HDHR Connect fixed that too.

One time fees for the HDHR Connect ($99), Plex Lifetime Pass ($120) and PlayOn ($40), and it's $35/month after that now.
A1_Ag_95
AG
In regards to the two stream limit, does that include all stand alone apps signed in with DTN login or just the DTN app? If I'm watching ESPN ON WATCH ESPN app, do I know have one stream left?
trueaggie2782
AG
In my experience, no. The 2 stream limit only applies to use of any of the DirecTV apps only.
gougler08
AG
trueaggie2782 said:

In my experience, no. The 2 stream limit only applies to use of any of the DirecTV apps only.
That's my experience as well
tamusc
AG
gougler08 said:

trueaggie2782 said:

That's my experience as well
Really? I ran into that issue all the time with Sling. I guess DTVN hasn't fixed that yet then?
A1_Ag_95
AG
I need to test it, but have not yet. I have the grandfathered DTN account. Have been a DTV guy for years. We did not miss one A&M baseball game this year, with exception of the few not on tv. All I need to do to complete everything is get an HD antenna up on the new house when we move in, and look at possible DVR options - Tivo Roamio looks to be my go to right now.

Have not missed any current show that we wanted to see because a lot of those are available on the stand alone network apps. As long as DTVN continues to add those stand alone app options, I don't think I will ever go back. Too flexible this way. Now, football season is not here and will have a big impact on my choices going forward if I am not able to watch all the Aggie games!
gougler08
AG
RoughRider said:

I need to test it, but have not yet. I have the grandfathered DTN account. Have been a DTV guy for years. We did not miss one A&M baseball game this year, with exception of the few not on tv. All I need to do to complete everything is get an HD antenna up on the new house when we move in, and look at possible DVR options - Tivo Roamio looks to be my go to right now.

Have not missed any current show that we wanted to see because a lot of those are available on the stand alone network apps. As long as DTVN continues to add those stand alone app options, I don't think I will ever go back. Too flexible this way. Now, football season is not here and will have a big impact on my choices going forward if I am not able to watch all the Aggie games!
SEC games are all on an ESPN affiliate or CBS so you should be ok for football season as well
Bregxit
AG
Pman17 said:

I got an email from AT&T.

DirecTV Now added to Roku today!

Streaming has been improved in speed and quality.

They've added new on demand titles.

When watching a show you can go back to the beginning in case you missed the first part of it.

To compensate for DVR, you can go back 72 hours on any channel.
Has anyone actually had the 72 hour rewind work? Apple TV, Fire TV, iOS devices at my house and it doesn't work on any of them. On PC the 72 Hour Rewind button is greyed out on every channel. On Apple TV/iOS there are no shows listed when scrolling up to past dates. On Fire TV there is no 72 Hour button or dates prior to today.

Seven months in and my hope of this service being great is dwindling.
Charpie
AG
It works for certain channels
Bregxit
AG
Charpie said:

It works for certain channels
I messed with it some more after my post. I have the Go Big package grandfathered from lunch. Out of all the channels, only TBS and TNT have the 72 hour rewind working despite the following channel list from DTVN:

Quote:

A&E
AUDIENCE Network
AXS TV
BET
Cartoon Network East
CMT
CNN
Comedy Central
Cooking Channel
DIY
Food Network
FX
FXX
FYI
GalaVision
Hallmark
Hallmark Movies & Mysteries
HGTV
History
HLN (Headline News)
Lifetime
MTV
MTV2
National Geographic
Nat Geo Wild
Nickelodeon East
Spike
TBS
TCM
TNT
Travel Channel
truTV
TV Land
UniMas
Univision East
Viceland
VH1

That seems like false advertising to me.
Charpie
AG
Works for Nat Geo Wild and Hallmark. I used it just the other day
jtmoney03
AG
ABC finally added to the DFW market!
texag06ish
AG
jtmoney03 said:

They have to figure out CBS by football season.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
jtmoney03 said:

And Austin!
Charpie
AG
They did?
GT_Aggie2015
AG
I got the email this morning around 8am.
Charpie
AG
Just read it. YAY
Brick Tamland
Re: DVR

Can't you just go to the app that the show comes up on? Like if you missed Modern Family, you could just go to the ABC app the next day after it airs. Wouldn't that alleviate the need for a DVR? I know you wouldn't be able to fast forward through commercials, but still.
crowman2010
AG
Only thing holding me back from eliminating the cord is Root Sports for DTN...c'mon already! AT&T owns that channel...wtf?!
Code Maroon 12
AG
crowman2010 said:

Only thing holding me back from eliminating the cord is Root Sports for DTN...c'mon already! AT&T owns that channel...wtf?!
This would definitely entice me to cut the cord as well.
crowman2010
AG
Code Maroon 12 said:

crowman2010 said:

This would definitely entice me to cut the cord as well.
I literally don't care about much else other than a few shows on regular networks, South Park, and my sports teams...give me that please
howdydamnit04
AG
MLB needs to get with the time. The fact they won't allow me to pay them money to watch the astros online because I live in Houston is ridiculous.
Pman17
AG
Cloud DVR is coming soon, user profiles, and a beta this summer.
4K HDR in 2018

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/13/15964374/att-directv-now-video-platform-cloud-dvr
k20dub
AG
howdydamnit04 said:

MLB needs to get with the time. The fact they won't allow me to pay them money to watch the astros online because I live in Houston is ridiculous.
Literally the one thing holding me back from switching. I love watching the Astros and Rockets.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.