DirecTV Now

164,056 Views | 1288 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Nobody Knows My Name
AW 1880
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is it possible to access on demand content on the Apple TV similar to the iPhone application?
Charpie
AG
AW 1880 said:

Is it possible to access on demand content on the Apple TV similar to the iPhone application?

Yes
millertyme
AG
Did the on demand get better? A few friends tried it when it became available and claimed the On Demand content was severely lacking (ie, most ABC, NBC, FOX shows).
AW 1880
AG
Evidently the user interface updated overnight (after the first night it was hooked up), and the user interface and on demand is improved and is just like the phone application.
Bregxit
AG
millertyme said:

Did the on demand get better? A few friends tried it when it became available and claimed the On Demand content was severely lacking (ie, most ABC, NBC, FOX shows).
It is slowly filling out. For example at launch there were no shows newer than September 25. Now most have episodes all the way up through this week. Some shows are still missing entire seasons and/or random episodes from certain seasons. It seems to be improving though.
Aggiejue
AG
FYI, 1-month free trial.

It seems they are targeting more people with this promotion. I apologize in advance if this violates any policies.

https://slickdeals.net/f/9586500-1-month-directv-now-trial-free?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1
Charpie
AG
I'm totally digging it. I cut my cable yesterday. I also rooted my firestick, so I'm watching all sorts of stuff now.
gougler08
AG
Moving to a new house and cutting the cord, definitely hopeful that the wife and I will enjoy the service and not have to go back
wesag
AG
DVR is life.
bilbobag
Really dumb question here but how does you get it to work with your TV's? Do you have to have Apple TV for it to work on the tv?

I know I apologize for my ignorance
BEaggie08
AG
bilbobag said:

Really dumb question here but how does you get it to work with your TV's? Do you have to have Apple TV for it to work on the tv?

Apple TV, Fire TV, Chromecast, Roku (Q1 of 2017).
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
bilbobag said:

Yes or a Fire Stick / TV.
bilbobag
Do you need one Apple TV for all tv's in the home or one per tv?
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
bilbobag said:

Do you need one Apple TV for all tv's in the home or one per tv?

You will need one for each TV. The Fire Stick works great too.
Charpie
AG
I love both. The living room has an Apple TV and my nook has a fire stick. Both work awesome.
gougler08
AG
Does it work with Xbox one?
Snoopy03
AG
Signed up week 1 and had our first real hiccup this morning. I was getting a login error on our living room fire tv box. I ended up un/reinstalling the app which fixed the problem.
bigboykin
AG
gougler08 said:

Does it work with Xbox one?
No. Their support page lists XBox under "Not Yet Available" which seems to imply that support may be in the works, but there was a FB response to the question of whether XB1 support was coming from someone at DTV that said:

"We don't have plans to make DIRECTV accessible to Xbox, however, we've forwarded your suggestion up and will be sure to let you know if this changes. Thanks - Ana."
gougler08
AG
Anyone been having issues with it lately? It was really choppy last night for me and apparently is doing the same this morning for my wife.

We have 25 MBPS internet through Xfinity so I think the speed should be fine to stream
Charpie
AG
Nope. But I have higher bandwidth. This morning I streamed on my iPad, then mirrored to my old apple tv. Was pretty awesome
boy09
AG
When I started watching last night, it took about 30 seconds for the stream to finally get going, but once it did it was fine. This was immediately after I was having all kinds of streaming issues with the PBS app trying to watch Sherlock. My internet speed is only 15 mbps.
WoMD
gougler08 said:

Anyone been having issues with it lately? It was really choppy last night for me and apparently is doing the same this morning for my wife.

We have 25 MBPS internet through Xfinity so I think the speed should be fine to stream

Watching the sugar bowl last night was pretty brutal. It kept freezing, and I kept having to reload the channel. And I was consistently getting speeds over 100 Mbps at the time.

Working flawlessly this morning though.
gougler08
AG
WoMD said:

gougler08 said:

Watching the sugar bowl last night was pretty brutal. It kept freezing, and I kept having to reload the channel. And I was consistently getting speeds over 100 Mbps at the time.

Working flawlessly this morning though.

Yeah, we had the Bachelor on (have to give up control of the TV sometimes) and it was pretty bad. I'm not sure if this morning is just her *****ing or is actually still pretty bad.

Funny enough, when I switched it over to the Sugar Bowl, I didn't have any problems
Pman17
AG
I'm thinking the inconsistency is on AT&T's end. Just one of those flaws with TV streaming. It'll get better. I kept getting blips with Comedy Central last night.
TexasAggie008
AG
Had it since it came out and besides a few minor instances, its as good as you can reasonably expect streaming cable to be IMO

Kind of surprised at the amount of bad press this thing has gotten....is people's standard "I expect 100% flawless service from day 1, or I'm going to chalk this up as a failure"

Not talking about people on this board, but just in the general news every story I see seems to be negative.
gougler08
AG
Ok another random question. I live in Houston and realized on Sunday night that I was not getting NBC on my guide; however, I get all of the other NBC channels (Sports, CNBC, MSNBC, etc). Anyone else having this issue and is it due to the contract dispute?
Charpie
AG
Only corporate owned stations will show up in DTVNow. The only local station we get in Austin is the Fox station.
gougler08
AG
Ah yes, I remember discussing this when it first started now. I'll just pick up an antenna for NBC
nwspmp
I run a SiliconDust HDHR Connect plus the InstaTV app on my AppleTV for locals. Works like a champ.
texasaggie04
AG
gougler08 said:

Ah yes, I remember discussing this when it first started now. I'll just pick up an antenna for NBC

This is what my folks did. Cancelled DirectTV ($200 buyout), and bought an antenna for WFAA in Dallas.
bbattbq01
AG
No fox sports go with directv now yet. Hopefully that comes soon then I think I'll be set from sports perspective!
gougler08
AG
Does the NBC sports app with a DIRECTV now login? I got an error earlier today...
bbattbq01
AG
Ugh, forgot to check NBC sports. That one doesn't have it yet either.
gougler08
AG
bbattbq01 said:

Ugh, forgot to check NBC sports. That one doesn't have it yet either.
Pman17
AG
Interesting... 5G DIRECTV Now
http://seekingalpha.com/news/3233399-t-plans-5g-directv-now-trial-midyear

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.